Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I was going to say it's a bit insulting to see The Strawbs referred to as "Rick Wakeman's band before Yes," and then I remembered From the Witchwood is the only album of theirs I really love.

Edit: They were also Sandy Denny's band before Fairport Convention, and the archive release "Sandy Denny and the Strawbs" is definitely worth a listen too. Not prog, but who cares?

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Aug 31, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I figured this thread would be the best place to find people who'd appreciate that there's a full upload of the live performance of Tubular Bells II at Edinburgh Castle on youtube.

The first part is here and there's 6 parts.

As far as I am aware it's only been available on VHS, but I'm willing to be corrected.

evvywevvy
Mar 17, 2011
Lately, I've been all about Curved Air. They were active in the first couple years of the 70s in London, and they made a lot of classical-inspired rock music (including a bunch of Vivaldi arrangements). My favorite song of theirs is Marie Antoinette: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv8zhRa3-zE

Some of their stuff gets pretty close to zeuhl, like Over and Above: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnhykJqbIzk

Overall very excellent stuff. Their albums Airconditioning (1970) and Phantasmagoria (1972) are the only two I've got, but the word seems to be that their others are for completists only, and feature a lot of weak material.

Speaking of zeuhl, one of the first non-Tool, non-Pink Floyd progressive bands I was introduced to is Eskaton. The only album of theirs I've been able to get my hands on is 4 Visions (1981), given to me by a guy in my dorm freshman year. Here's the first song from that album, Eskaton: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGfDwbfEeEU

I only started listening to prog rock a couple years ago, when I discovered that I like listening to Rush because they are awesome, rather than because it was funny. (Yes, I'm a hipster.) I started digging deeper and got into Magma after discovering them on eMusic. Embarrassingly enough, I heard 21st Century Schizoid Man for the first time in Guitar Hero 5, with half the notes missing. I scoured my apartment for change and went down the street to the record store (Everyday Music in NE Portland, OR) and bought Lark's Tongues in Aspic, a 12" single for Sleepless and ELP's self-titled album.

I'm way excited about this thread; as soon as I get my car fixed, I'm going to blow a bunch of money on records mentioned here.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

evvywevvy posted:

I only started listening to prog rock a couple years ago, when I discovered that I like listening to Rush because they are awesome, rather than because it was funny. (Yes, I'm a hipster.)

....Liking Rush ironically is funny to hipsters? I'm starting to feel seriously old and out of touch.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Funny you should mention Rush, Caress of Steel is cranked right now.

Exploring progressive rock has been one of the most exciting and interesting experiences I've had musically in possibly a decade or more. So much great stuff, a lot of poo poo, but it's been a blast reading information and listening to a ton of it.

And it all started by hearing a Phil Collins single playing at the supermarket, and deciding to buy a prog-era Genesis album out of curiosity.

How many of you like Eloy? They are one of the bands that really stand out for me, due to Oceans and Silent Cries and Mighty Echoes.

fappenmeister fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Sep 10, 2011

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
So a couple of weeks ago, I spent the week at the 'Three of a Perfect Pair' camp in the Catskills with Adrian Belew, Tony Levin and Pat Mastellotto. Camp started Monday and ran til Friday morning. It was the first year they ran the camp, so it was somewhat ad hoc, with a variety of sessions from each of the main players, from 'how to form a band', 'songwriting 101', 'my pedals and effects', 'electronic drumming I and II', 'playing the Stick', 'life on the road', 'Band Stories', etc.

We also got to watch rehearsals of Crimson-as-Trio (the joke being with my glasses I have a miniscule resemblance to Robert Fripp, which was commented on endlessly at camp), as well as the Adrian Belew Power Trio (Julie Slick and Tobias Ralph), and Crimson-as-5/6-of-a-double-trio... watching Tobias walk over and shake Pat's hand, meeting him for the first time, at rehearsal the day before they performed THRAK together on stage... Adrian giving a 'how to play Frame by Frame' class... Adrian talking about playing for Zappa and Bowie...

Ever been to a King Crimson concert where you knew everyone in the audience, and were sitting between Tony Levin and Pat? I have now. :)

Jokes about how the band doesn't know the names of the songs, because they don't call them that... the 75-person jam on Tuesday night with Tony directing, including the dulcimer(!).

Weds night Adrian showed the DVD of his performance of 'E' with the Metropole Orchestra in Amsterdam.

It was seriously one of the most enjoyable weeks of my life, including doing raspberry vodka shots with Adrian at 3:15 AM on Friday morning after the concert, the die hards standing around not wanting the evening to end. Next year I will be bringing Grey Goose 'citron' and Adrian is going to do a class on making lemondrop shots. Probably around a campfire at 1AM. OR have Tony make you espresso on his machine in the cafe and fiddle around on some of the Sticks. Drum with Pat. The guy from Pigtronix showed up and demoed their effects pedals, and offered everyone there half price.

The final night we had a concert, and there was a draw, they gave away Ampeg amps, Hammerex cymbals, random other stuff, and finally a Parker Fly Dragonfly guitar, all donated to the camp. All after seeing the concert we'd all built up to the whole week.

Also a big shout out to John Sinks, Adrian's guitar guy and Robert, who was Tony's aide-de-camp and FOH engineer for the audio. Sinks was Fripp's tech for 20 years and shared some stuff on living with Robert for so long.

We even had a 15 year old theremin player, Levon, show up. I already signed up for next year. You can camp, or get a room, or a cabin, or... prices vary, the food is included, booze isn't tho, so I brought the vodka via duty free. I have a bunch of pics and movies and recorded a whack of stuff including the final concert on my Handy H2 Zoom, Bernard filmed it in HD fight next to me.

The double trio is going on a tour shortly, the end of this month. Wanna see Crimson (sans Fripp, ok...) - go to Adrian's site or Ticketmaster. Going to the camp gets me in to soundcheck, etc. and booking for net year got me a free ticket to any show they do until next year.

edit: argh, need to shrink picture, can't figure how :(

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Sep 11, 2011

Anonymouse Mook
Jul 12, 2006

Showing Vettel the way since 1979

Tsaedje posted:

I figured this thread would be the best place to find people who'd appreciate that there's a full upload of the live performance of Tubular Bells II at Edinburgh Castle on youtube.

The first part is here and there's 6 parts.

As far as I am aware it's only been available on VHS, but I'm willing to be corrected.

I've got it on DVD. It's a flip disc with the live performance of III on the other side.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mike-Oldfield-Tubular-Bells-Live/dp/B00004CZPF/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315773362&sr=8-1

evvywevvy
Mar 17, 2011

Iucounu posted:

....Liking Rush ironically is funny to hipsters? I'm starting to feel seriously old and out of touch.

It's a side effect of growing up in the post-postmodern world. Rush is pretty uncool, but also quality rock music. Claiming to listen to something ironically allows you to enjoy it without it losing cool points. I figured out, however, that my taste is unimpeachable (because I said so), and I play Magic: The Gathering, so I'm simultaneously beyond hope and too cool for "guilty pleasures."

Rust Martialis posted:

'Three of a Perfect Pair' camp in the Catskills with Adrian Belew, Tony Levin and Pat Mastellotto

That's ridiculously awesome. Listening to KC et al. is definitely making me want to pick my guitar back up.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

keratas posted:

Funny you should mention Rush, Caress of Steel is cranked right now.

Exploring progressive rock has been one of the most exciting and interesting experiences I've had musically in possibly a decade or more. So much great stuff, a lot of poo poo, but it's been a blast reading information and listening to a ton of it.

And it all started by hearing a Phil Collins single playing at the supermarket, and deciding to buy a prog-era Genesis album out of curiosity.

How many of you like Eloy? They are one of the bands that really stand out for me, due to Oceans and Silent Cries and Mighty Echoes.

What Phil Collins single got you into prog? Come on, don't be embarassed.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I've recently fallen back into my consuming obsession with the DGM Live library and King Crimson Collector's Club. The first four shows the Islands lineup played have excellent-quality soundboard recordings of varying degrees of completeness that are super interesting if you're a diehard fan. This lineup's sound changed so much over the course of a year—if you've only heard Earthbound and other recordings from that tour, it's almost unbelievable to hear the same band performing the likes of The Court of the Crimson King and Lady of the Dancing Water. Plus The Sailor's Tale in its early, unfinished form gives rise to some awesome improvs—in the April 12th one, Fripp plays a fragment of what would later be Larks' Tongues in Aspic, Part 1.

What's both frustrating and compelling about this lineup is that their performances were extremely uneven, and not even in the same ways from one day to the next. What I really need is a compilation of the best bits. DGM of course released Ladies of the Road years ago, but now that I have seven loving shows I think I could do better myself. Also, I still haven't found a performance of 21st Century Schizoid Man that compares to the one on Earthbound.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Sep 12, 2011

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Gianthogweed posted:

What Phil Collins single got you into prog? Come on, don't be embarassed.

Something Happened on the Way to Heaven. I love his solo work and I'm not making any apologies for it. :D

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

Rollersnake posted:

Plus The Sailor's Tale in its early, unfinished form gives rise to some awesome improvs—in the April 12th one, Fripp plays a fragment of what would later be Larks' Tongues in Aspic, Part 1.

the 40th anniversary Islands reissue has part of this. definitely very good and worth hearing. i'll have to look into those shows, I really did like the Ladies of the Road set

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Has anyone bought the Pink Floyd remasters/magic voodoo editions yet?

I bought the Discovery Box a few days ago, the box itself is quite nice but drat mini-LP style cd cases really suck!

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
The new Haken ablum, Visions, has leaked. Amazingly, it so far seems to be at least as good as Aquarius. They seem to be channeling Dream Theater pretty hard (a little overboard at times), and the album seems to have a theme really similar to Metropolis pt II.

2011 has been an insane year for prog metal so far. Dream Theater, Symphony X, Pain of Salvation, Opeth, Redemption, and a bunch of solid releases by smaller name groups.

What other notable stuff is coming up soon? I'm hoping for releases by Andromeda, Circus Maximus, Animals as Leaders, and Adagio.

Henry Fungletrumpet
Dec 1, 2008
Not sure how much they qualify as progressive, but Mastodon's new album just dropped and I'm absolutely loving it.

Thanks for the heads up about new Haken. They do tend to channel some of the cheesier parts of Dream Theater, but Aquarius was a great bit of prog indulgence.

Henry Fungletrumpet fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Oct 1, 2011

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

evvywevvy posted:

Lately, I've been all about Curved Air. They were active in the first couple years of the 70s in London, and they made a lot of classical-inspired rock music (including a bunch of Vivaldi arrangements). My favorite song of theirs is Marie Antoinette: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv8zhRa3-zE

Some of their stuff gets pretty close to zeuhl, like Over and Above: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnhykJqbIzk

Overall very excellent stuff. Their albums Airconditioning (1970) and Phantasmagoria (1972) are the only two I've got, but the word seems to be that their others are for completists only, and feature a lot of weak material.

I loving love Air Cut, and it is not at all a weak album or only for completists.

Metamorphosis is an early Eddie Jobson composition that I think ranks among his best, and Easy is just a perfect piece of proggy hard rock and maybe the best song they ever did.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

For anyone itching for new Porcupine Tree, Steven Wilson's new album isn't as heavy as most PT stuff, but it's definitely some drat good prog-rock. It's two full discs, too!

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Seconded. If you've listened to Insurgentes there's similar elements in there without rehashing, and the influence of remastering the King Crimson back catalogue has added some neat stuff to the mix as well.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

America and Islam are not exclusive and need not be in competition. Instead, they overlap, and share common principles of justice and progress, tolerance and the dignity of all human beings.
-Barack Obama

keratas posted:

Has anyone bought the Pink Floyd remasters/magic voodoo editions yet?

I bought the Discovery Box a few days ago, the box itself is quite nice but drat mini-LP style cd cases really suck!

I agree. I have the Discovery discs for Animals (sounds better), The Wall, and Ummagumma. I'm not a fan of the cardboard/paper sleeves that these cds come in, which make them impossible to return. THe sound quality is the only reason I may revisit more of these.

I also got the Immersion 6 disc set of Dark Side of the Moon. Its not as good or as well put together as the King Crimson "Court of the Crimson King" collector's box set, but it has some interesting things on it. There were too many things in the DSOTM set that were already released, like the "making of documentary". Loads of other stuff were out on bootleg that were not really improved upon much. I have the 5.1 James Guthrie mix on SACD, so to have it on dvd and blu ray was redundant to say the least.

But if you are new to this stuff, I say get it because they are cheaper than they have been in the past and, depending on if you have this stuff already, may be an improvement in sound...important to a band like this.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Home from Montreal, where I saw the double trio of Stick Men/Adrian Belew Power Trio (see https://www.adrianbelew.net) at the Corona Theatre. (All songs recorded at CD quality on my Handy H2 Zoom from the balcony, haven't listened yet to see how it turned out.)

Set 1 was Stick Men, with Tony Levin, Pat Mastelotto and Marcus Reuter. Played about 45m set. They included a track from 'Exposure' by Fripp called 'Breathless', IIRC. I think Tony called it 'Reckless' but I'm pretty sure it was 'Breathless'... Slow Glide, Firebird Suite....

Set 2 was AB3, with Adrian, Julie Slick, and Tobias Ralph. Again, a 48m set. A couple tracks from 'e' were very well done.

Set 3 was the King Crimson set, and started with Ade, Tony and Pat as a trio, then they added Marcus and did Red, then Julie and Tobias came in. At some point they did Sleepless, Thela Hun Ginjeet, Frame by Frame, Indiscipline, One Time, THRAK, but skipped Elephant Talk, oddly (it will alternate in the setlist with Sleepless, Tony said).

I went to the band camp in August (https://www.threeofaperfectpair.com) and my reward was a free pass to any show ade/tony/pat did for a year. I had tickets to the Toronto show, but I figured 'See King Crimson in Montreal Before You Die', and this was as close as I was going to get. At this point I'd spent 5 days hanging out with the band(s) a month and a half so some of us campers all met up at the show, chatted with the musicians before/after. They hung around an hour or so after to meet and sign stuff.

Tuesday is Toronto (Mod Club) and Weds is Buffalo (somewhere).

Got to the venue at 5, in for soundcheck at 5:30, talked a lot with Pat about stuff (back to how he used to have great hair when with Mister Mister) and his work with Steven Wilson. Picked up Pat's compilation CD of stuff he's done with assorted groups (incl. some Insurgentes stuff).

I'll do a followup later maybe with some pics and CD shots - Stick Men's new 'Absolom' etc. Also if the music turns out ok, I'll mention it but obviously I don't want to get in trouble with :files:

summary: great show, they're playing amazingly tight, Marcus is amazing (first time I saw him on his custom touch guitar), Tobias is drumming great, Adrian's voice is holding out fine. And they're having a lot of fun up there.

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 3, 2011

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I'm still upset that Stick Men/Belew will be playing near me the only day of the week I cannot possibly go, as I have a 4-hour long evening class that meets only once a week and I cannot afford to miss. I saw the Belew Power Trio on their first tour, and it was in all honesty one of the best shows I've ever seen, so I urge anyone with an interest in progressive music to go see them.

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

For anyone itching for new Porcupine Tree, Steven Wilson's new album isn't as heavy as most PT stuff, but it's definitely some drat good prog-rock. It's two full discs, too!

It's absolutely incredible, and even as someone who loves PT but thought Insurgentes was just OK, I think it might be the best thing he's ever done. Mixes prog with elements of jazz, classical and electronica to amazing effect. The end of No Part of Me really reminds me of Bear Mcready's version of All Along the Watchtower too, which is awesome.

Here: No Part Of Me http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-UHoLl30pFc

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"
Is it just me or does the new Haken album repeat itself a bit? I'm pretty sure there is a riff that's used in at least 3 of the songs.

Death By Yogurt
Apr 3, 2007

Just wanted to share a prog album I can't stop listening to since its release last week: The Ghost You Gave to Me by New York band 3. It's gotten pretty solid reviews from what I've seen.

3 has been around for some time now and is one of those bands that should probly be bigger than they are (they've toured with Dream Theater and Coheed and Cambria in the past). However, they've had multiple occasions of bad luck with their labels that have been roadblocks to the band. Their lead guitarist/singer, Joey Eppard, is actually the brother of former Coheed drummer Josh Eppard, which is convenient since they've been compared to them a lot in the past.

Their sound isn't anything too out there, with elements of pop and metal mixed in. One thing that kinda makes the band unique is that Joey has a pretty crazy fingerpicking technique that can be heard in some of their songs, such as this one off their last album.

Here's a track off their latest album:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvBBPnHA9Bs

And yes, their logo does have a giant cock and balls in it.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
3 is also the name of that awful band with Emerson, Palmer, and Robert Berry - bad choice dude

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Been listening to Lunatic Soul's(Riverside singers side project) 3rd disc, Impressions. I really like this band so far.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

HD video from the current Belew/Levin/Mastelotto tour '2 of a Perfect Trio' [AB Power Trio + Stick Men]

more on sidebar

B'BOOM/THRAK
Three of a Perfect Pair

I was at this concert, but didn't take the video...

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

I'd like to give some attention to the Seattle band, Rishloo because they are awesome, sincere, and playing in Seattle in a few weeks. They've been frequently compared to Tool, APC, and The Mars Volta.

http://www.rishloo.com/
http://www.last.fm/music/Rishloo

RISHLOO Freaks & Animals music Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeLdjRa7vww

Rishloo - Feathergun In The Garden Of The Sun
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBYOgS7USGk

and a recent interview explaining what they're all about.
http://studiorock.ro/interviews/rishloo-interview-22/

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

ack! posted:

I'd like to give some attention to the Seattle band, Rishloo because they are awesome, sincere, and playing in Seattle in a few weeks. They've been frequently compared to Tool, APC, and The Mars Volta.

http://www.rishloo.com/
http://www.last.fm/music/Rishloo

RISHLOO Freaks & Animals music Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeLdjRa7vww

Rishloo - Feathergun In The Garden Of The Sun
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBYOgS7USGk

and a recent interview explaining what they're all about.
http://studiorock.ro/interviews/rishloo-interview-22/
I was really into this band when I found them on Spotify, but after half a dozen listens and not being able to remember how a single song went I realized that I think their sound surpasses their songwriting. They're really talented guys to be sure, but they need a little something extra to push them to an A-list band for me.

I think their Australian contemporaries in Karnivool don't get as much attention as they should:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nA05U0_S2y8

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Has anyone here heard this album? Watcher of the Skies: Genesis Revisited

It's a 1996 album where Steve Hackett got together with the 1974 King Crimson lineup plus 20 random vocalists and programmers to cover old Genesis songs. Which I half want to look for and am half assuming is really horrible

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Nov 4, 2011

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Earwicker posted:

It's a 1996 album where Steve Hackett got together with the 1974 King Crimson lineup plus 20 random vocalists and programmers(?) to cover old Genesis songs. Which I half want to look for and am half assuming is really horrible

George Starostin apparently thinks it's the worst thing Hackett's ever done. I disagree with his reviews fairly often, but these nostalgia projects always fill me with a sense of foreboding anyway, so I'm not exactly eager to check it out myself.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Earwicker posted:

It's a 1996 album where Steve Hackett got together with the 1974 King Crimson lineup plus 20 random vocalists and programmers to cover old Genesis songs. Which I half want to look for and am half assuming is really horrible

Yes, and I like it. I'm not @ home right now tho :)

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Earwicker posted:

I bought this CD many years ago and, while not great, is worth a listen. It's somewhat hit or miss, but the good is really good. The version of Watcher of the Skies with Wetton on vocals kicks rear end, and some of the other tracks were pretty strong as well and offer interesting takes on what we've come to know and love from the old Genesis records. Still, none of this comes close to topping the originals, and the new songs are nothing to write home about. The best thing to come out of this is the tour that followed, I think "The Tokyo Tapes" is the live album from this tour. This band was fantastic live. It was really cool to hear what an old school King Crimson mixed with old school Genesis lineup could have sounded like.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Nov 4, 2011

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

Rollersnake posted:

George Starostin apparently thinks it's the worst thing Hackett's ever done. I disagree with his reviews fairly often, but these nostalgia projects always fill me with a sense of foreboding anyway, so I'm not exactly eager to check it out myself.

Then check it out, Starostin's wrong about nearly everything

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Yeah that guy is awful. I spent a while reading a bunch of his reviews last night and trying to wrap my head around his weird Beatles-based rating system

However in his review of that Watcher album he says that Hackett apparently claims these are the "definitive" versions of the songs, which is pretty obnoxious considering that some of these songs aren't even written by him - claiming to have finally created the definitive Firth of Fifth is kind of a slap in Tony Banks' face.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
Eh, I have a soft spot for Starostin because I started reading him back in high school and discovered a lot of bands I love through his reviews, largely because he's more of a historian than a lot of reviewers and he's sometimes a very entertaining writer. If you want to read him at his best, check out his Ween page—he's done a better job of communicating that band's brilliance than anyone else I've ever read. This of course doesn't excuse his wonky criteria, and I've lost count of the number of times he's completely missed the loving point of an album/band, and written hateful reviews of albums I love—his reviews of Wish You Were Here and Gentle Giant's Interview, and his Zappa page almost in its entirety stand out in my memory as the worst offenders.

That said quite a bit of Genesis Revisited is up on YouTube, and it seems really uneven and frequently sounds embarrassingly dated.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Nov 4, 2011

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

Yeah - I do agree with that. I read a lot of Starostin (and McFerrin) in high school and without them I wouldn't know anything about prog. The whole thing where he declares the Beatles to be the pinnacle of everything is super obnoxious. That said, he the fact that he dug Ween meant that even I could get into them. Looking back now, some of this stuff is ridiculous - saying that Bjork and Soft Machine's debuts were the best, completely trashing on Pawn Hearts (it's a hard one to love, but from a guy who's nuts about prog? Pawn Hearts is a godsend!!), plus this bizarre kick he's on where he tries to review every album ever made (apparently) - ditching the ratings completely so they're totally useless. 3 years into this project, he's finally up to the B's, meaning he's probably going to die before he's half-done with it. (this includes 4 Avril Lavigne albums by the way)

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

So he's up to L?

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

no, that was an "A"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orbital Sapling
Oct 30, 2011

by angerbeet
Oh Jesus it's taken me far too long to discover this thread.

Il Tempio delle Clessidre
Really nice Italian prog rock. I'm not really exposed to this kind of singing very often, so maybe I'm appreciating it a little bit more than I should.

In the same vein, Goblin has some cool stuff. I actually discovered these dudes while watching the original Dawn of the Dead, the music impressed me so much I actually went out of my way to see who did the music. I never do that.

Haken. Do you guys love Haken? I guess these guys are more progressive metal than rock, but who cares. Both of their albums are masterpieces as far as I'm concerned. They also helped me get some perspective on how loving terrible Dream Theater has gotten. This is good music.

What should I listen to of Steven Wilson's? I've tried listening to some of his solo stuff, a few Porcupine Tree songs, and I can't seem to get into any of it. I need some direction here.

edit: gently caress it, I don't want to like Steven Wilson. The man reminds me too much of some sort of wispy butterfly.

Orbital Sapling fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Nov 8, 2011