Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drakkus
May 14, 2002

yum~

frumpsnake posted:

*Finally* found someone at Shaw who could provision my Cisco as just a modem. Tech support couldn't do it but some random Shaw employee on digitalhome.ca can.

I'm sorry. I have no idea why most of the reps can't figure out the bridged / not bridged business. If anyone has a modem they need set to bridged, or not bridged (for whatever reason), PM me an account number or something, and I'll get it corrected.

(Shaw Employee, but not here in an official capacity blah blah etc.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Lone Rogue posted:

...ugh, I hate how I have to be careful what I have to say.

But basically, if Rogers is throttling, you will still be throttled. You cannot avoid throttling by cable.

However, if you go with our DSL, you may also be throttled. It's been said and I have absolutely no idea if this is true and you'd have to look up some website like DSLReports to know the truth of it but if you pay $4 a month for an MLPPP line, even as a SLPPP (just one DSL connection), it is said you can avoid throttling that way. TekSavvy only provides MLPPP to bond two connections together.

So yeah, that's your option if you want to avoid throttling. But as an employee of TekSavvy, I cannot promise you it will work or promise you it even does that. I have no idea! Tra la la...

I asked on DSL Reports this very question and the answer I got was that no, Rogers does their throttling (I'm not interested in P2P, just their DPI poo poo that doesnt let me play WoW) after Teksavvy got out from their network.
But those people were not employees, so you obviously must know more.

drat :(

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

rhag posted:

I asked on DSL Reports this very question and the answer I got was that no, Rogers does their throttling (I'm not interested in P2P, just their DPI poo poo that doesnt let me play WoW) after Teksavvy got out from their network.
But those people were not employees, so you obviously must know more.

drat :(

They probably know more because I'm not a TSR

Paper Jam Dipper fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Aug 30, 2011

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

rhag posted:

For reference, I'm on Teksavvy Cable in Ottawa, and I moved from Rogers, and I can certainly say that at least the throttling I experienced with certain programs (although I don't play WoW) completely dissapeared after the transfer. Of course, that might change at any point. I know the change to Bell throttling TekSavvy connections literally happened overnight without warning.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
The CRTC has given Rogers until Friday to respond to throttling complaints.

http://www.thewirereport.ca/reports/content/12877-crtc_gives_rogers_until_friday_to_respond_to_throttling_complaint

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Bonzo posted:

The CRTC has given Rogers until Friday to respond to throttling complaints.

http://www.thewirereport.ca/reports/content/12877-crtc_gives_rogers_until_friday_to_respond_to_throttling_complaint

Here's how I imagine this going down:

Rogers: "Throttling won't affect games because [some pseudo-technical babble]"
CRTC: "OK! :thumbsup:"

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Martytoof posted:

Rogers: "Throttling won't affect games because BAWWW OUR PROFITS LISTEN TO US"

ftfy

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Martytoof posted:

Rogers: "Throttling won't affect games because [some pseudo-technical babble]"

Rogers: "We need to charge the wholesale ISPs more to pay to upgrade this garbage throttling equipment!"

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Migishu posted:

Problem for me ended up being the DNS.

I've had no problems whatsoever since changing it.

e: Try using this program to find the best DNS for your area: http://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

I just wanted to thank you for this. I've been having issues with streaming video and this worked.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Going to join up with TekSavvy it looks like

What cable modem should I go for, the Motorola SB5101N or the Thomson DCM475?

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Alctel posted:

Going to join up with TekSavvy it looks like

What cable modem should I go for, the Motorola SB5101N or the Thomson DCM475?

DCM475.

You want *at least* a DOCSIS 3.0 compatible cable modem, and the SB5101N is not.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
So it seems that instead of building a cellular network, SHAW has decided to blanket cities in WIFI

http://shaw.ca/uploadedFiles/Corporate/Media/Press_Releases/Shaw_To_Build_Broadband_Wireless_Network_September%201_2011.pdf

e: if this means that I will get wifi everywhere I go, it will mean essentially unlimited data on my smartphone. That's something I can get behind.

ZShakespeare fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Sep 1, 2011

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

ZShakespeare posted:

So it seems that instead of building a cellular network, SHAW has decided to blanket cities in WIFI

http://shaw.ca/uploadedFiles/Corporate/Media/Press_Releases/Shaw_To_Build_Broadband_Wireless_Network_September%201_2011.pdf

e: if this means that I will get wifi everywhere I go, it will mean essentially unlimited data on my smartphone. That's something I can get behind.

Elizabeth May is going to loose her poo poo over this.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Bonzo posted:

Electromagnetic Hypersensitivity is one of the reasons I will never, ever vote green despite the fact that I generally agree with their policies and politics.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Bonzo posted:

I had visions of her face melting off lost ark style when you posted this.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

ZShakespeare posted:

Did that say it was only for Alberta or is Vancouver going to get in on this?

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

drcru posted:

Did that say it was only for Alberta or is Vancouver going to get in on this?

You know as much as I do, but it would probably be silly of them not to make it available in Vancouver. I saw an ad for it today on CTV whilst I was getting my hair cut. SHAW Wifi hotspot *coming soon. We'll see what coverage is like. I'd be interested to see how much service you can deliver over wifi (how much I can cut back on my Bell service). I'm concerned about the coverage though. From what I know of Wifi, you can't exactly cover large swathes of area with a tower like you can with WiMax.

ZShakespeare fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Sep 2, 2011

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Interesting news: http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2011/09/01/youtube-movies-in-canada-_n_945428.html

Sounds like good news to me, if only to have a big force like Google potentially in the ring against the ISPs. :)

Pr0phecy
Apr 3, 2006
I too, like all of you, want to poo poo in the mouth of any Bell higher up, but I'm curious to know, how many of you actually sent letters to your MP's and representatives complaining and explaining why throttling and more importantly, bandwidth capping, is a ridiculous affair.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Pr0phecy posted:

I too, like all of you, want to poo poo in the mouth of any Bell higher up, but I'm curious to know, how many of you actually sent letters to your MP's and representatives complaining and explaining why throttling and more importantly, bandwidth capping, is a ridiculous affair.

I sent several, at least, to my MP and the head of each party. And also sent a bunch through the automated things that openmedia had been doing a few months ago.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Pr0phecy posted:

I did. My MP is Libby Davies though so she was already well aware of it.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

less than three posted:

I did. My MP is Libby Davies though so she was already well aware of it.

My MP is Dave MacKenzie and he couldn't give a poo poo about anything that isn't related to farming :(

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

MP David Sweet doesn't give a gently caress, as far as I can tell.

edit: But at least he knows I give a gently caress, which I guess is the point of this letter writing. I didn't seriously expect a Conservative MP to about face on his party because of a few emails. The only issue is that I live in richy-rich Ancaster so he knows there's next to zero chance we'll elect any other party.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Sep 2, 2011

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
MP is Harold Albrecht. Former Mennonite minister. Yea...that makes it pretty clear where he stands (I do not believe he has a spine, nor a brain).

To give you an example of his thinking (or lack thereof), he sent me few years back a flier with his proposed bill (which I do not think passed) to allow police to hold repeated (and suspected) criminals in jail for more than 48 hours without charges (I believe it was 7 days or so).

I wrote. All went to /dev/null .

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

This article characterizes the new SHAW service and something that will target high traffic areas in cities. Vancouver and Calgary are specifically mentioned. I would be surprised if Edmonton wasn't also on their list.

It definitely will not be a replacement for Cellular service because there will be huge gaps in service, but as long as it doesn't cost extra and doesn't have some ludicrously low cap (cellular anyone?) it will be a decent service, and will mean I won't spend the extra money on getting a better data plan from Bell.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Hope they do Winnipeg as well. I am positive they will though, Shaw is huge here. This is great news!

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

thexerox123 posted:

Interesting news: http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2011/09/01/youtube-movies-in-canada-_n_945428.html

Sounds like good news to me, if only to have a big force like Google potentially in the ring against the ISPs. :)

This is cool but I was really hoping for something like $10 a month, not $4-5 a rental.

It's great that these things are coming but it's insulting to get charged like that when you look at American alternatives like Netflix with a far more vast library and Hulu and co.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

While we're on that topic, is there any free way to get the US Netflix up here? I know there is some $4.99 thing that will get it all setup but if I can go in and tinker with stuff, that would be preferred. I just signed up for it and while it's nice to have some of these older movies, the lack of anything new is kind of a let down. Plus the US store got all the Star Trek's (minus DS9, which is coming later) and we got loving jack poo poo.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Vintersorg posted:

While we're on that topic, is there any free way to get the US Netflix up here? I know there is some $4.99 thing that will get it all setup but if I can go in and tinker with stuff, that would be preferred. I just signed up for it and while it's nice to have some of these older movies, the lack of anything new is kind of a let down. Plus the US store got all the Star Trek's (minus DS9, which is coming later) and we got loving jack poo poo.

You need a proper VPN tunnel that will redirect ALL of your traffic.

Right now I have a US netflix account. I get canadian netflix while in canada. I am peeved.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

The shaw wifi is an interesting move on their part. It could allow them to sell an extra service for mobile devices for people who are with other cell carriers. If they start having any success, though, bell will probably find a way to hit back.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
I hope none of you guys who are TSI customers got hit with the outage in Ajax-Salem (Pickering). That was some of the hardest calls I've ever had to take. "Yes, there is an outage. No, we don't know when it'll be fixed. No, we don't why it's happening. Yes, Rogers still has access but TSI customers using the Rogers lines do not. Oh, you would like to cancel? Okay..."

That all said, every time a person would call about their Internet being down and how they, "make their living on the Internet as a business" yet despite running a business on the Internet they have zero form of back-up if their Internet went down in the form of a speed stick, 56K connection they pay for or even a freakin' friends place they can goto and use the Internet until it went back up, I have very little sympathy for.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Lone Rogue posted:

I hope none of you guys who are TSI customers got hit with the outage in Ajax-Salem (Pickering). That was some of the hardest calls I've ever had to take. "Yes, there is an outage. No, we don't know when it'll be fixed. No, we don't why it's happening. Yes, Rogers still has access but TSI customers using the Rogers lines do not. Oh, you would like to cancel? Okay..."

That all said, every time a person would call about their Internet being down and how they, "make their living on the Internet as a business" yet despite running a business on the Internet they have zero form of back-up if their Internet went down in the form of a speed stick, 56K connection they pay for or even a freakin' friends place they can goto and use the Internet until it went back up, I have very little sympathy for.

FEw years ago, I was in the cleveland area. Really bad storm, tore down power/cable lines.

After 2 days we had power back, after 6 days we had interwebs/tv back. I spent 3 days at a hotel, since i made more than enough money to outweigh the cost of being without internet. There werent any close wi-fi free spots. One of the days i chilled out in the parkling lot of the hotel I was close to. Since their WIFI extended that far and I already had the password.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Rawrbomb posted:

FEw years ago, I was in the cleveland area. Really bad storm, tore down power/cable lines.

After 2 days we had power back, after 6 days we had interwebs/tv back. I spent 3 days at a hotel, since i made more than enough money to outweigh the cost of being without internet. There werent any close wi-fi free spots. One of the days i chilled out in the parkling lot of the hotel I was close to. Since their WIFI extended that far and I already had the password.

Oh, I can understand that.

I meant more, "I own a business on the Internet and I only own one way to get Internet in my home and refuse to consider any alternative because since I pay money to X company they should always have the Internet working regardless of situation."

Ever thought how funny it would be if someone had no power in their home but called up TekSavvy to ask why their Internet wasn't working? According to one TSR, it has happened. More than once.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

If they are running a business and expect guaranteed uptime, then they should purchase a business internet plan with guaranteed uptime as opposed to a residential plan. Or have a backup plan. My power was out the night before an essay was due and between my netbook's awesome battery and usb tethering on my phone, I was able to finish up easily.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

Lone Rogue posted:

Oh, I can understand that.

I meant more, "I own a business on the Internet and I only own one way to get Internet in my home and refuse to consider any alternative because since I pay money to X company they should always have the Internet working regardless of situation."

Ever thought how funny it would be if someone had no power in their home but called up TekSavvy to ask why their Internet wasn't working? According to one TSR, it has happened. More than once.

That's just the go-to residential customer response because business customers typically get treated better. I was hearing the same thing from UUNet dialup customers like 15 years ago, some things never change.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

The Gunslinger posted:

That's just the go-to residential customer response because business customers typically get treated better. I was hearing the same thing from UUNet dialup customers like 15 years ago, some things never change.

Oh I know.

It's just in one day, I heard it three times. Three of the four people who planned to cancel from us because of the Ajax-Salem outage claimed they cannot make money without an Internet connection and they don't know anywhere else to goto about it.

Tech support gets away with a lot more honesty than I would. Same with accounting. But I'd never want either position.

Paper Jam Dipper fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Sep 4, 2011

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Vintersorg posted:

Not free, but I'm really happy with usvideo.org. Almost done watching all of TOS :D

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

teethgrinder posted:

Not free, but I'm really happy with usvideo.org. Almost done watching all of TOS :D

Any idea how that actually works?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

teethgrinder posted:

What wizardry is this?! I am on Hulu now and all I had to do was install some tiny program for Win7. :o:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Rawrbomb posted:

Any idea how that actually works?
You use their DNS server and it redirects for you. I've been using the service for around half a year now and can't complain.

I had no trouble setting up a US Netflix account with Entropay, but I haven't figured out how to do Hulu Plus since they require a US billing address. As far as I can tell, I'd have to buy US$ pre-paid credit cards from somewhere, but that's not worth the trouble. I can just use the free Hulu service from my PC.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Sep 4, 2011