Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killer_B
May 23, 2005

Uh?

PresidentCamacho posted:

I just finished using http://www.hytekhosting.com after two years. Awesome people, awesome host. Would highly recommend.

Hytek became unresponsive as a host regarding support tickets, and other forum members experienced various other forms of problems with him, most of them regarding a horrible billing system, and rather ambivalent customer service.

My experience regarding tickets, they were nearly immediate to respond to tickets regarding that I'd sent payment for the current invoice; Outside of that, a minimum of 3-5 days to respond, if they responded at all.

The post referenced a little earlier, sealed the deal for me. On the plus side, the new host is much more responsive, and I'm paying less for an annual billing cycle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dvgrhl
Sep 30, 2004

Do you think you are dealing with a 4-year-old child to whom you can give some walnuts and chocolates and get gold from him?
Soiled Meat

Killer_B posted:

Hytek became unresponsive as a host regarding support tickets, and other forum members experienced various other forms of problems with him, most of them regarding a horrible billing system, and rather ambivalent customer service.

My experience regarding tickets, they were nearly immediate to respond to tickets regarding that I'd sent payment for the current invoice; Outside of that, a minimum of 3-5 days to respond, if they responded at all.

The post referenced a little earlier, sealed the deal for me. On the plus side, the new host is much more responsive, and I'm paying less for an annual billing cycle.

Man, web hosting is something I would never pay annually, or even bi-annually for. It's a totally unregulated industry in terms of selling one thing and delivering another. Even for hosts I really trust (Linode, Wiredtree, etc...) I would never pay annually. The small cost savings aren't worth the huge risk of getting screwed over. Go spend a few minutes over at webhostingtalk.com and you'll begin to see what I mean.

I hope it works out good for you, but for so many people it doesn't. At least regularly back up your data to somewhere that you have control over, not your host.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

dvgrhl posted:

Man, web hosting is something I would never pay annually, or even bi-annually for. It's a totally unregulated industry in terms of selling one thing and delivering another. Even for hosts I really trust (Linode, Wiredtree, etc...) I would never pay annually. The small cost savings aren't worth the huge risk of getting screwed over. Go spend a few minutes over at webhostingtalk.com and you'll begin to see what I mean.

I hope it works out good for you, but for so many people it doesn't. At least regularly back up your data to somewhere that you have control over, not your host.

I agree completely with this, before I switched to Linode I'd have to switch to a different host every few months or year (at best). I've been running a website since 2004 and I've learned to never prepay for hosting and always have backups of your databases.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

I am looking to transfer my web stuff away from GoDaddy because they suck rear end with their stupid superbowl adds and shooting elephants. Right now I have 3 domains registered with them and 1 hosting account. It's mostly a portfolio/wordpress testing ground site and doesn't get much traffic. I'm looking for both domain registration and hosting services, but not through the same company, don't want to put all my eggs in 1 basket. How much of a pain in the rear end is this going to be?

For domain registration, I have no clue. I haven't done any domain registration stuff in ages. I used to use Networking Solutions, but that was when I was in college like 10 years ago and I'm sure things have changed since then.

For hosting I am thinking about going with the starter package from Lithium Hosting since that seems to be a really good price point based on my current needs. I have 1 question for DarkLotus though. How easy/hard is it to migrate up to a bigger plan if I outgrow the starter package? I plan on building out and promoting my blog some day.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

:words:
Can you post this in the Lithium Hosting thread? I'll gladly answer your questions there.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Re: Hytek

My wife's site is hosted by hytek. One day I got an email saying "Your account has been suspended. Please resolve this ASAP to avoid late fees." Well poo poo, that sucks.

So I go to the site and sure enough it's down, with a banner across the page saying "ACCOUNT SUSPENDED." Classy. I log into the billing system and see that they invoiced me eight days earlier. I didn't get any emails, phone calls, or mail (they have all my contact info on file) - they just billed me in their system, and when I didn't pay they shut me down 8 days later.

And if you're thinking "You probably had to pay a reinstatement fee of $50 or something, right?," well I thought the same thing - I assumed they were gonna hold the site hostage until I paid some ridiculous late fee. Except the fee was $1. The 8 day invoice-to-suspension, the "ACCOUNT SUSPENDED" banner on the site, the $1 fee...it was all just so loving dumb.

Other than that they've been pretty helpful with some issues that have come up, but between this and the SA Mart thread I'm looking to jump ship as soon as I've got some time to find a new host.

Lunchbox
Feb 5, 2008

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

I am looking to transfer my web stuff away from GoDaddy because they suck rear end with their stupid superbowl adds and shooting elephants. Right now I have 3 domains registered with them and 1 hosting account. It's mostly a portfolio/wordpress testing ground site and doesn't get much traffic. I'm looking for both domain registration and hosting services, but not through the same company, don't want to put all my eggs in 1 basket. How much of a pain in the rear end is this going to be?

For domain registration, I have no clue. I haven't done any domain registration stuff in ages. I used to use Networking Solutions, but that was when I was in college like 10 years ago and I'm sure things have changed since then.

For hosting I am thinking about going with the starter package from Lithium Hosting since that seems to be a really good price point based on my current needs. I have 1 question for DarkLotus though. How easy/hard is it to migrate up to a bigger plan if I outgrow the starter package? I plan on building out and promoting my blog some day.

Hey Boogaloo, Lunchbox here from Nixihost. As a former user of Godaddy myself, I can completely sympathize with wanting to get out of there. Having been on the wrong end of billing issues and domain registration issues is not pleasant.

I saw that you are thinking of hosting with Lithium Host. But might I also recommend looking into Nixihost? We have a new thread in SA Mart for you to look at which has a coupon code for 1 free year of hosting. All you have to do is register/transfer a domain to us, and the hosting is free!

If you're interested, check us out Here

Lunchbox fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Aug 29, 2011

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
*puts eggs marked "domains" and "hosting" in a single, precariously balanced basket*

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Getting domains and hosting at the same place is the worst possible idea on earth

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
Register your domains with Zoneedit, use them for DNS, put your webhosting wherever you want. Never do them both at the same place.

Bicycle SexFucker
Aug 15, 2007

I have zero interest in marriage.

DigitalMocking posted:

Register your domains with Zoneedit, use them for DNS, put your webhosting wherever you want. Never do them both at the same place.

namecheap is pretty solid too.

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Yes, I plan on using separate companies for hosting and registration :)

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Not exactly hosting, but does anyone have a paid proxy service they'd recommend? I have a friend in Africa for a few months who wants to use her Netflix. Any idea how well it would work for that assuming her bandwidth in Africa is plenty?

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

hayden. posted:

Not exactly hosting, but does anyone have a paid proxy service they'd recommend? I have a friend in Africa for a few months who wants to use her Netflix. Any idea how well it would work for that assuming her bandwidth in Africa is plenty?

Would't a $5 VPS and OpenVPN solve this problem?

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

eightysixed posted:

Would't a $5 VPS and OpenVPN solve this problem?

I'm pretty unfamiliar with this sort of thing. I'll look into that, thanks.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

hayden. posted:

My company has this service now if you don't want to be hassled with setting it up and managing it: http://powervpn.com/

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

JHVH-1 posted:

My company has this service now if you don't want to be hassled with setting it up and managing it: http://powervpn.com/

I'll try that, thanks!

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I'm getting a little tired of paying $70 a month for my server. Anyone know of a decent host with:

100mbit burst (1.5tb+ a month)
GOOD uptime
Eastern US

Don't care about CPU/RAM/DISK but I do want a dedicated box. I'd like to spend less than $50 a month if possible.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

JHVH-1 posted:

Bought this and set it up, seems to work well. Thanks!

edit: digging in the terms of service say it's limited to 500MB a day, which seems pretty low considering you advertise it specifically for HD streaming websites.

hayden. fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Aug 31, 2011

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

JHVH-1 posted:

If it's just one, you can really just pick up a $3 VPS then install openvpn-as (free for 2? users)

revmoo posted:

I'm getting a little tired of paying $70 a month for my server. Anyone know of a decent host with:

GOOD uptime
Eastern US

Don't care about CPU/RAM/DISK but I do want a dedicated box. I'd like to spend less than $50 a month if possible.

interserver.net honelive.com gl hf

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Honelive actually costs more than what I'm paying right now for the ip addresses I need. Interserver is like 20 bucks less which is not really enough of a discount to switch.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

revmoo posted:

Honelive actually costs more than what I'm paying right now for the ip addresses I need. Interserver is like 20 bucks less which is not really enough of a discount to switch.

Tell me if you find anything cheaper because I'm going to take five

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

hayden. posted:

Bought this and set it up, seems to work well. Thanks!

edit: digging in the terms of service say it's limited to 500MB a day, which seems pretty low considering you advertise it specifically for HD streaming websites.

drat, sorry. I didn't know they put that in there. I wonder if it is strictly enforced or they put that in so they can remove people who abuse it a lot. I'm not really involved with that project, so I haven't really tested it.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

JHVH-1 posted:

drat, sorry. I didn't know they put that in there. I wonder if it is strictly enforced or they put that in so they can remove people who abuse it a lot. I'm not really involved with that project, so I haven't really tested it.

Hey, you're with choopa right? Any chance you could point me to any customers that sell "budget" xen/kvm/vmware VM's in your NJ facility or is that a violation of privacy policy or something?

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Biowarfare posted:

Hey, you're with choopa right? Any chance you could point me to any customers that sell "budget" xen/kvm/vmware VM's in your NJ facility or is that a violation of privacy policy or something?

I honestly don't know any off hand. I haven't worked out of the location the servers are in for a few years.

This guy is on our network though I believe http://www.bbvps.com/
Never used his services so I can't say if they are good or not.

Lunchbox
Feb 5, 2008

Rufo posted:

*puts eggs marked "domains" and "hosting" in a single, precariously balanced basket*

If you don't want to register your domain with us you can use the coupon code GOONHOST for your first year of hosting for $1 or use GOONDOMAIN for $1 off your domain. It comes out to the same as our SAGOONS promo without having to buy both a domain and hosting.

This way if you're that worried about putting both those eggs in one basket you can still signup with us.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Lunchbox posted:

If you don't want to register your domain with us you can use the coupon code GOONHOST for your first year of hosting for $1 or use GOONDOMAIN for $1 off your domain. It comes out to the same as our SAGOONS promo without having to buy both a domain and hosting.

This way if you're that worried about putting both those eggs in one basket you can still signup with us.

$1 for a year of hosting?

Lunchbox
Feb 5, 2008

Moey posted:

$1 for a year of hosting?

Yup! Is that too much? We tried to be reasonable...

Seriously though, yes, a year of hosting for only $1. We know it sounds to good to be true, but I promise you it is very much real.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

revmoo posted:

Interserver is like 20 bucks less which is not really enough of a discount to switch.

Well which one is it, man? :psyduck:

revmoo posted:

GOOD uptime
Eastern US

70 - 50 (which you said you wanted) is 20. But 20 isn't enough to switch. I'm confused. It it was 49.99 would you switch? I can't imagine $0.01 being a deal breaker...

RyceCube
Dec 22, 2003
Can someone recommend me a VPS or Dedicated server service that has servers in Canada? Im setting up a few VPNs so I need multiple IP adresses.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
VPN is not valid ARIN justification for IPs IIRC

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Looks like Slicehost has finally ditched their traditional VPS offerings for Rackspace cloud-only servers. Took long enough.

Anaxite
Jan 16, 2009

What? What'd you say? Stop channeling? I didn't he-
If someone is in the market for a VPS, Linode just did a pretty big price change. All inbound traffic is now free, and transfer overage fees are the same as pre-pay rates.

Surmy
May 25, 2010

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Long story short, a few years ago I started a website just as a little hobby and it has slowly evolved into a bit more than that. Not knowing better at the time I got both my domain and hosting from the same company... How screwed am I? What is the easiest option for getting my domain transferred somewhere else?

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

Surmy posted:

Long story short, a few years ago I started a website just as a little hobby and it has slowly evolved into a bit more than that. Not knowing better at the time I got both my domain and hosting from the same company... How screwed am I? What is the easiest option for getting my domain transferred somewhere else?

It is very rare to be in a situation where you are screwed. Most companies resell domains. This means you can always contact the Registrar and file a complaint. Your best course of action is to contact the place you bought your domain from and ask for it to be unlocked and for them to give you the EPP or Transfer Code. You can take the transfer code to any registrar or hosting provider and transfer your domain to them.

I've helped plenty of people recover their domains from deadbeat hosts who ended up just reselling Enom or Resellerclub domains. If you need any help or advice, shoot me a PM!

Surmy
May 25, 2010

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

DarkLotus posted:

It is very rare to be in a situation where you are screwed. Most companies resell domains. This means you can always contact the Registrar and file a complaint. Your best course of action is to contact the place you bought your domain from and ask for it to be unlocked and for them to give you the EPP or Transfer Code. You can take the transfer code to any registrar or hosting provider and transfer your domain to them.

I've helped plenty of people recover their domains from deadbeat hosts who ended up just reselling Enom or Resellerclub domains. If you need any help or advice, shoot me a PM!

I'm also considering moving hosting as my current host is quite useless as far as their customer support goes. How much is moving hosts going to hurt my search ranking? Is there anything I can do to mitigate this?

Thanks for the help

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Surmy posted:

I'm also considering moving hosting as my current host is quite useless as far as their customer support goes. How much is moving hosts going to hurt my search ranking? Is there anything I can do to mitigate this?

Thanks for the help

My suggestion is to find your new host first. Grab a backup of the data just in case which is nice to have anyway. Some hosts help migrate a site over. Either way get it all set up and working on the new machine. When you get the new hosting you can edit your hosts file (or on windows I use this handy thing http://www.abelhadigital.com/hostsman ). That way you can test it and make sure everything works. When you are happy you change the DNS over to point to the new domain. As long as the domain loads for everyone you probably won't see much of a hit in search rankings. You keep the old server up till the bandwidth tapers off and everyone's DNS is updated to the new one.

So in your case you might want to see if you can get the domain transferred to a different registrar before you do any of this.

I have seen people cancel their current hosting and then rush the migration process and end up with all kinds of little things untested or the old host cutting off transfer mid way. They might pick up on a bunch of bandwidth suddenly and check where its going to. Each host is different so it is best to plan for things to not go as planned just in case.

Maybe if it would work for your site, maybe sign up for https://www.cloudflare.com/ or something so the content is on a 3rd party. They are supposed to make your site still load from their servers if its down, but it requires pointing the DNS there.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

Surmy posted:

Thanks for the help

I can't think of any reason your search ranking would be affected as long as the transfer doesn't cause your site to be unavailable for an extended period of time.

Any cPanel based web host can easily transfer your site with little to no downtime and all you have to do is update your name servers.

Edit: Also, what JHVH-1 said!

DarkLotus fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Sep 6, 2011

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
You can also drop your TTL's low, wait, change the A record on $previoushost to point to new host, then change nameservers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting

Biowarfare posted:

You can also drop your TTL's low, wait, change the A record on $previoushost to point to new host, then change nameservers
This may require a support ticket with your current host in the event they don't let you manage your DNS. Assuming you are using their name servers...