Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
I you wanted to score in middle school, you had to make friends with her best mates first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Ka0 posted:

I you wanted to score in middle school, you had to make friends with her best mates first.

I have to agree at least a little with the people who aren't interested in Jack right now. Before the accident, he seemed rascally, and afterward, he was off his rocker, but now he's very quiet and much older looking. Hopefully, since this is a slower interlude all around, he's not stuck that way.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

FronzelNeekburm posted:

I have to agree at least a little with the people who aren't interested in Jack right now. Before the accident, he seemed rascally, and afterward, he was off his rocker, but now he's very quiet and much older looking. Hopefully, since this is a slower interlude all around, he's not stuck that way.

Yeah, I liked the early bits with Jack. But so far he just seems like a...non-entity. Annie still has her personality, but what made me like Jack hasn't shown up in this story arc yet. Which, tomorrow's may change that if he does something spontaneous. But yeah.

Nicolae Carpathia
Nov 7, 2004
I no longer believe in the greater purpose.

There's still hope for Kat/Annie after all, it seems!!!

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

LtStorm posted:

Which, tomorrow's may change that if he does something spontaneous. But yeah.

Well there's your wish!

FunkyAl
Mar 28, 2010

Your vitals soar.
I was going to post that one fellow's dumb rant verbatim, with names changed and whatnot, but I decided I'd rather talk about how Annie may indeed harbor romantic feelings towards Kamlen, that one green fellow from the forest. Which would, of course, make for a pretty neat parallel to Jeanne and her greenish suitor.

Or not! But it'd be neat.

dumb brunette
Mar 17, 2009

I admire man's ability to see beauty in everything! Even a flame!
I think she's insulted, Jack.

(I sure hope Chibisoma is still reading :allears:)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Annie's expression versus words in the large panel are totally baffling me.

Milli
Sep 28, 2009

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

Oh :( I was kinda digging the idea of Jack and Annie.
But yeah, I see her words, but her expression doesn't match it.

I don't know what to think :sigh:

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
Seems like they were both trying to play each other for fools. Either that, or Jack's desperately trying to save face. Eitherway, I hope this blossoms into a lovely mutual hate-off. Awesome.

dumb brunette posted:

I think she's insulted, Jack.

(I sure hope Chibisoma is still reading :allears:)
I wonder just how much of an rear end he can retroactively make himself. :allears:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

It could be an immature "act like you hate them" thing, but that doesn't seem right for the characters. I'm really not sure where he's going with this.

Also, first panel has Jack with his left hand on Annie's shoulder, second one has him with his right hand on her shoulder. I hate to be the guy that keeps nitpicking art things, I swear I don't do it often.

Tea-san
Nov 6, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Also, first panel has Jack with his left hand on Annie's shoulder, second one has him with his right hand on her shoulder. I hate to be the guy that keeps nitpicking art things, I swear I don't do it often.
In the first panel he's put his left hand on her shoulder to turn her around, and in the second panel, his left hand has moved down to her waist as Annie's right hand moves to his shoulder (as seen in panel 3), and his right hand is on her left shoulder to continue turning her.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Tea-san posted:

In the first panel he's put his left hand on her shoulder to turn her around, and in the second panel, his left hand has moved down to her waist as Annie's right hand moves to his shoulder (as seen in panel 3), and his right hand is on her left shoulder to continue turning her.

Also, neither of them is Eglamore.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Okay. That makes sense, it was just that the hand position was almost identical in panel 1 and panel 2, but backwards. I really should stop paying attention to details in comics, so I don't notice things like that.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Is Annie playing hard to get? Is Jack playing it off smooth? Are they both being genuine?

OH GOD I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO THINK ANYMORE :supaburn:

Completely baseless guess: Jack was put up to this by his father to spy on Surma's daughter, but Jack's actually got the hots for Kat Zimmy Reynard Boxbot Paz (hey, she could use a break)

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Troll romance sure is weird.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
Way to go Annie, tellin' it like it is.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
it needs to be Friday like, right now.

Of course come Friday morning I'll be saying it needs to be Monday.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Annie's expression doesn't match her words in Panel 2 and 4, its implied that she's the one who scooted close on the last page, and this is totally buying time so Tom can cut to the next mini-story and have the smooching be the climax of the chapter.

I don't know what's weirder, analyzing a teenage romance or doing it while the comic creator is in the thread. :ohdear:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

ymgve posted:

Troll romance sure is weird.

HOW WILL I UPDATE MY SHIPPING CHART

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

"This chapter is so boring, oh god, they're just talking. I'm not interested in teen romance, ugh, it's so predictable and Jack is just dull, why would we- MINOR HICCUP, INTEREST SOARING, WILD THEORIES GO GO GO."

1stGear posted:

I don't know what's weirder, analyzing a teenage romance or doing it while the comic creator is in the thread. :ohdear:
Just wait until we start deconstructing the characters to gain an insight into Tom's psychological profile and sexual dysfunctions. That's when it will get really awkward. (We are not going to do this.)

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

1stGear posted:

Annie's expression doesn't match her words in Panel 2 and 4, its implied that she's the one who scooted close on the last page, and this is totally buying time so Tom can cut to the next mini-story and have the smooching be the climax of the chapter.

It's also kind of hard to ignore panel 5 on this page

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
Well, that's certainly one way of telling a guy off.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

inthesto posted:

It's also kind of hard to ignore panel 5 on this page

And since we have nothing better to than pick apart the entire comic, let's go back to the fourth treatise. Please note what each girl has in their hands and then consider what character those animals are most strongly identified with.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Well there's your wish!

Haha, yes, there it is. Thank you, Tom, you've got me interested in what Jack's angle is again instantly.

Kismet posted:

"This chapter is so boring, oh god, they're just talking. I'm not interested in teen romance, ugh, it's so predictable and Jack is just dull, why would we- MINOR HICCUP, INTEREST SOARING, WILD THEORIES GO GO GO."

Hey, I wasn't bored with the chapter, I was just wondering why Jack was being so quiet and reserved after how he acted in his previous appearances! But yes, MINOR HICCUP, INTEREST SOARING, WILD THEORIES GO GO GO sums it up.

suburban virgin
Jul 26, 2007
Highly qualified lurker.
Annie's expression only doesn't match her words in panel 4 if you imagine her being reserved and ashamed of admitting she doesn't like him, looking down and away. She doesn't like him and she's fine with that, what's he gonna do about it? Focused gaze, hint of a smile.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Yeah in panel 4 it's obvious she just finds the whole situation kind of funny, hence the smirk.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Yeah in panel 4 it's obvious she just finds the whole situation kind of funny, hence the smirk.

Yeah. I took this as her trying to give Jack a second chance after he was kind of, y'know, a creep to her a few chapters ago, even if he was all HEAD FULL OF SPIDERS. And now she's decided even without the spiders, she still doesn't like him. So I don't see anything contrary between her expression and words in that panel.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Exactly. She is just confidently dismissing Jack's advances. Of course Jack then one-ups her.

Friday needs to be here now :f5:.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Kismet posted:

That's when it will get really awkward. (We are not going to do this.)

But I have been collecting evidence!

Also, seems like the player got his tables turned around. Let's see how he gets out of this one.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Saoshyant posted:

Also, seems like the player got his tables turned around. Let's see how he gets out of this one.

He's going to say something all roguish and devil-may-care and Annie's going to swoon all over the place.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

1stGear posted:

He's going to say something all roguish and devil-may-care and Annie's going to swoon all over the place.

He'll have to bust out a Level Three Collar Pop, or maybe even Level Four :ohdear:

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Mazerunner posted:

He'll have to bust out a Level Three Collar Pop, or maybe even Level Four :ohdear:

Is the world ready for collar pops of that magnitude? :ohdear:

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
I wonder if Jack still has spiders in his head or residual spiders.

Kismet
Jun 11, 2007

True story: I was sitting drawing in my front room a couple of weeks ago when my sister came in, stopped dead and gave me the biggest :stare: face. Apparently while I'd been sitting there, a little spider had dropped down and started building a web between my head and the chair, and was merrily chilling in my hair. My first thought was this comic and the little spider in Tom's self portrait. :3:

BrainWeasel
May 8, 2007

I'll reattach your arm when I hit fucking Level 2!
Visiting the forest helped Annie learn to control her fire powers, including her :iceburn:s.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
I hope I'm not the only one who thinks Annie's comments are just something smart to through Jack off, not an actual dismissal. Her reaction to his "phew" seems to be she was *not" expecting that (and is a little angry), which means she probably expecting another <strike>collar pop</strike> move by him (that she probably wouldn't oppose).

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
I don't know what's going to happen... so good job Tom.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

I hope I'm not the only one who thinks Annie's comments are just something smart to through Jack off, not an actual dismissal. Her reaction to his "phew" seems to be she was *not" expecting that (and is a little angry), which means she probably expecting another <strike>collar pop</strike> move by him (that she probably wouldn't oppose).

Think about how Annie reacted to Jack wanting to hug her previous to her little forest adventure. I think that her ability to respond to that sort of thing has changed (improved) such that now she can make light of his advances but her general feelings about Jack haven't changed much. His "Phew" was definitely unexpected though and I can't wait till Friday to find out what that is about.

I might (almost certainly) be talking out of my rear end, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Ka0 posted:

I don't know what's going to happen... so good job Tom.

I'm still banking on robot cows descending from the sky.