Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Twiin posted:

That artwork is embarrassing.

For a second I thought he was wearing flannel jammie pants.

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Well, that's certainly not a bad way to start your show-watching life :stare:

At the 242 show, Dad thought I was gonna get mugged or killed, so he gave me his leather jacket "so you'll look tougher" and a pocket knife. It was probably the sweetest thing he ever did.

So do as I did and jump 'cross that silly canal! Plenty of shows in good old Deutschland, for example ;) Was def worth all the money I plunked down into that trip to Sweden.
Nice! Got the wife into German classes this year, we're talking about GWT next year. Pretty excited already.

boo_radley fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Aug 29, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

You too can replicate that look for $100 :allears:

http://www.infectiousthreads.com/big_ls_so_plaid_para_pants.htm

tays revenge
Aug 29, 2009

I don't know when ohGr is being serious or ironic anymore.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

His promo shots (magazine interviews, press releases, et al) are always made up and over the top. The puppy shot looks silly, but that's almost become the norm now. Would you prefer their goffy nihilistic roots instead?

I really wanna make a FO:NV character after one of those three.

It's not as if historically they have made their obsession with horror movies and campy performance art a huge secret. Having said that, the album cover is more in the line with the somewhat reserved unDeveloped album art and not really up there with the SRG's past work. Still, it's not fair to dismiss the album based solely on promo art and album cover. I'll wait until I hear it before passing judgement.

getting tired of the quirky spelling trope though, even if it implies double meanings

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Infest was great fun, though I managed to miss half the stuff I wanted to see due to being really really drunk.

Have some Dirk Ivens:

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Furret Basket posted:

For the first time in about 6-7 years I'm not going to Infest. :( The lineup just wasn't good enough for how much it's going to cost. At least I managed Resistanz, which was totally boss.

I am going to Manchester Pride though! :nyan:

Just got back from Infest. Had an excellent time, really enjoyed Maschinenkrieger KR52 vs. Disraptor, and Xotox :)

Everyone else also raved about mind.in.a.box, but they just didn't catch on me.

meltie fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Aug 29, 2011

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Working on my (terrible) KMFDM photos, this was one of the openers, Army of the Universe, before he took off his shirt and slapped me:

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:
Teethgrinder if it makes you feel any better, I remember yelling out 'YEAAAAHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhh' just for fun... then like a SECOND into my scream he walks out with his shirt off.

Awkwaarddd.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

The samples from Handover (gently caress capitalizing it their way) sound pretty promising. Sounds more like ohGr than Skinny Puppy, but I think that's a given at this point.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

sethsez posted:

The samples from Handover (gently caress capitalizing it their way) sound pretty promising. Sounds more like ohGr than Skinny Puppy, but I think that's a given at this point.

That's pretty much what I was gonna say.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

The Cleaner posted:

Teethgrinder if it makes you feel any better, I remember yelling out 'YEAAAAHHHHHHHHhhhhhhhh' just for fun... then like a SECOND into my scream he walks out with his shirt off.

Awkwaarddd.
Hahaha it does. Thanks :D

Human Factors Lab:

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Army of the Universe:

KMFDM:

I love the way she looks with the backdrop

The set is here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/markosaar/sets/72157627426828507/

I finally listened to WTF!? and drat, it's easily the best thing they've done in 10 years. I quite liked it until a track or two toward the end. The last track I thought was great ... reminded me of falling asleep listening to Troublegum by Therapy? and waking for the creepy rendition of You Are My Sunshine as a hidden track.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

sethsez posted:

I'll agree it sounds rreeally promising... however I'm finding this one sounds way more Download than the structured OhGr.. lots of glitchy drums and wobbly synths.

I think it's gunna be a dirty album... DIRTY!

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

I bought Covenant's Modern Ruin on a whim in Stockholm (since I was in, you know, Sweden) and now I just am not able to a) not play Lightbringer over and over again b) get the song out of my head. Easily one of the ohrwurmiest tracks I've heard in the last year or so. drat.

Modern Ruin is the first Covenant album I've heard and now I had to order some loving more (Cryotank and Europa).

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Aug 31, 2011

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Geez, if you think Modern Ruin is good, you might even like Skyshaper.

You can't forget the rest of their earlier catalogue either though, all of which are better/great/outstanding. I got pretty obsessed with Covenant after hearing Monochrome on Northern Light.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

I bought Covenant's Modern Ruin on a whim in Stockholm (since I was in, you know, Sweden) and now I just am not able to a) not play Lightbringer over and over again b) get the song out of my head. Easily one of the ohrwurmiest tracks I've heard in the last year or so. drat.

Modern Ruin is the first Covenant album I've heard and now I had to order some loving more (Cryotank and Europa).
All Covenant albums are worth having but if you really like Lightbringer that much you'll probably love Necro Facility's Wintermute. After listening to Wintermute is pretty obvious that Lightbringer is basically a Necro Facility song.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

The Cleaner posted:

I'll agree it sounds rreeally promising... however I'm finding this one sounds way more Download than the structured OhGr.. lots of glitchy drums and wobbly synths.

I think it's gunna be a dirty album... DIRTY!

I got a strong Download vibe too. Well, I guess it makes sense for modern SP to sound like a hybrid of Download and Ohgr, right? Works for me.

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

http://soundcloud.com/vnvnation/control

Track off of the forthcoming VNV Nation album "Automatic."
A collection of snippets from the rest of the songs on the album can also be found on their soundcloud. I'm withholding judgement for now, I'm a huge fanboy for VNV so I'm not the right person to ask.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
The new stuff they played at Infest sounded pretty good, but I was drunk so I could be wrong on that front.

tays revenge
Aug 29, 2009

Danger - Octopus! posted:

The new stuff they played at Infest sounded pretty good, but I was drunk so I could be wrong on that front.

After listening to the "snippets" track I can confirm your correctness. I will be picking up their new album in September for sure.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Is their last album worth going back to and checking out? I thought Tomorrow Never Comes was alright but I remember exactly nothing about the rest of the album.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I like to see 'A Drug Against War' in a prime spot on the KMFDM setlist.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Never been big on VNV but I gotta admit that the track they put up for free download, Control, kicks a considerable amount of rear end.

e: I mean good lord that delay on the vocals at 1:00 when the chorus kicks in, daaaymn

e2: I must've missed this was already posted because I'm pretty hungover. Sweet track in any case.

Hedenius posted:

All Covenant albums are worth having but if you really like Lightbringer that much you'll probably love Necro Facility's Wintermute. After listening to Wintermute is pretty obvious that Lightbringer is basically a Necro Facility song.

Never listened to Necro Facility at all but that album just went straight into my wishlist. I ain't afraid of a little pop in my industrial.

PS. not listening to Lightbringer at the very moment, not at all

a cyborg mug fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Sep 1, 2011

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Never listened to Necro Facility at all but that album just went straight into my wishlist. I ain't afraid of a little pop in my industrial.

PS. not listening to Lightbringer at the very moment, not at all
Just keep in mind that the first two Necro Facility albums don't sound anything like Wintermute. It's very much a rip-off of early Skinny Puppy. A very good rip-off though.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Thanks to whoever recommended Santa Hates You a few pages back, I'm really digging their sound. Plus, that lady :swoon:

molotoveverything
Oct 18, 2010
I dislike control, it sounds really uninspired and the synth line sounds like a really cheesy and somewhat familiar guitar riff. To be frank, from what I heard from the Automatic's preview on facebook the whole thing sounds pretty disappointing to me.

I know since Empires they had people saying they deviated too far from the original formula, but Goddamn this new album seems to take the cake. At least for me.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I got to thinking about Zombie Girl and checked out their Wikipedia, which linked to this (I had to hand transcribe this and left in all the typos, gently caress those guys):

quote:

RBS: The new "The Halloween" EP is being called the comeback of Zombie Girl and it has been a while sense you released new music. Why the wait? Is the EP worth the wait? What can we expect to hear on it?

Renee: Totally the labels idea and once again an example of speaking to Komor and not me. This came as quite a surprise. I was notified by Komor aprox 2 days before the label needed lyrics from me, all vocals, art work and photos. Since there was nothing left in the studio as Komor took everything, including equipment that I am still paying for. I was at a loss as to how to perform this miracle. 2 DAYS NOTICE! He got a paid advance, etc. I was totally in the dark. so they went with remixes of previous ZG tracks, Komor used some buddies of his and some chick from a bar he frequents to do a spoken word thing. Then he says "Oh look, I had to do this all myself, Renee did not pull her weight, she is breaching contract. She still has half the studio. That is so much B.S. This entire thing was so unfair to me. He did this to make me look bad. When he told me he would f*ck me over and I'd wish I never met him... he was right. I am looking to work with a new producer and musicians now. As for doing ZG shows now, I have all the music, background etc. I am ready.

Is this a warm up EP? Is there a full length in the works?

Yes. But including what I've stated above...
Because I am female, it has given the other guy seemingly more authority when it comes to Zombie Girl shoes/etc. I am talking about Komor. He is no longer my producer and has managed to convince a great number of promoters out there to believe that There will be no more zombie Girl shows, etc. THIS IS NOT TRUE! I am not giving up something so dear to me and zombie Girl, besides being ME, is my baby. I am accepting offers for ZG shows NOW. If you want one let ME know. Do not ask Komor. I have been back stabbed on many levels by that guy and in fact I am thinking of writing a book about this. Any publishers interested? Contact me.
I have been pushed aside in conversations because I am a female. I have had people speak down to me because I am a female.
I have been physically assaulted and the person got away with it because I am a female and was told by Komor that this person (who out weighed me by 100 lbs. or more)
and who was a intimate friend of Mr. Komor- would send bad asses to hurt me worse if I did not drop the police charges.
I dropped the charges. Had I been a man, you bet things would have gone differently for both Komor and his violent 'friend'. I have been placed in the same hotel room with Komor, because I am a woman, the name registered should be the man's name. I say B.S. no more. I am not a second class citizen here. There's so much more discrimination in this biz when you are a female unless you suck a lot of c*ck and I have too much self esteem now after all I've gone through. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger and I am very strong now.

What's your Halloween costume going to be this year?

I am going as an abused female. I've lived it so it will be easy.

When we did the first part of this interview we contacted Renee. We had no idea about the falling out between her and Komor. However with the answers we got back from her its only fair to let the other half of Zombie Girl "Sebastian R. Komor" reply...

RBS: Lets talk about the first part of the interview. We asked Renee what took so long for this Ep to come out and the reply was basically that its all your fault and you did it on purpose to make her look bad. Whats your side as to whyt he Ep took so long to come out?

Seb: This is rumour control, here are the facts: For one due to obvious personal conflicts I had to basically set up my studio again somewhere elsei n the same town, as I found half my studio left out in the backyard, don't get me wrong I like being outside and a studio outdoors could be cool, but maybe on my own terms and time. So it took awhile for me to set my studio and the equipment up again, not to mention I went on a drinking binge to sort my head out and such things. That being said other projects needed my attention, so it was a bit of a rollercoaster ride this whole thing. In fact the Hallowen EP was planned to be released like 2 years ago but again for obvious reasons poo poo got postponed, I mean to release a decent product shits gotto function, poo poo just wasnt functioning, and through that focus faded. However now the label reminded us of this Halloween release, so I got on the horse to get it done. However communication as simple as one might thing it is became quickly another rollercoaster ride. I did my parts writing for vocals..lyrics..now deadlines are like trains..you either get on the train in time or you miss the train. Specially a release that is set for a Halloween date. I mean I guess you are persistent you could convince the world to postpone Halloween this year because this band Zombie Girl is late with the vocals...dunno. This is also why I ended up doing the vocals on the title track as well sometimes you just gotto get on the horse and go from A to B, one way or the other. Also asked some local talents/friends here in Edmonoton to participate, which they did in great ways on the 2nd track on the EP. The lyrics on the title track was also mostlt written by Matt Mitchell from the USA. So thanks to all these people and the great remixes this EP came together with the aid of people who believe in music and have in so many ways been very helpfull musically and personally here in Canada. I would like to say a big thank you all. \m/

The second part of the interview is where things get interesting. The question was "Is the Ep a warm up and will a Full length be coming?" Before she got a tad off the topic Renee stated "yes". What about you? Will you continue the Zombie Girl franchise or will you be moving on?

Seb: I think, oh wait I need to go LOL first, ok there. Um, off topic yeah, OK back to topic: That is a good question aint it? Truth to be told I had a lot of fun writing and producing the songs, as well as playing life although we only did like 3-4 shows. But yeah this is something that needs to be discussed with the label. Certain facts needs to be laid out so all parts understand their position in Zombie Girl. I mean no point in trying to figure out what to do if someone just doesn't kfn get it you know. I mean being called an x-member and producer when your's truly have done it all from A-Z with this band, not to mention the last EP I mean some matters bviously are not overly clear to some individuals. Music is passion, to me music is life. But there are times when you need to deal with the business part, thats when emotions cant do the talking. How I see it is simply: ok, talk poo poo left and right...go blablablablabla, but none of that get poo poo done or sorted. Oh thats right..thats why contracts are signed hey? I dont know, my biggest consern with this whole thing is how I feel fans are let down and you know mising out on gigs and just hearing all this noise online. Thats what really bothers me about this ordeal. So a new album? I can see it happen, but not this way. I'm done working with irrational people who have little or no sense of understanding, wait, will to understand both sides of the card. Its really true, some people are meant do to music some just should stay the gently caress away.

I cannot loving believe they didn't ask him about what she spent most of the interview talking about.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Pope Guilty posted:

I cannot loving believe they didn't ask him about what she spent most of the interview talking about.

She's totally bananas. He's not joking when he said she threw his studio outside (in the rain, too). She's that girl, except she happens to be in a band.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Pope Guilty posted:

I got to thinking about Zombie Girl and checked out their Wikipedia, which linked to this (I had to hand transcribe this and left in all the typos, gently caress those guys):

:psypop:

Computers have spell check now, how can you produce a magazine on computers for computer interfaces and have it turn out like this.

Oh hey, they have a vlogcast: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bu1XiqZBDAE
I like their enthusiasm and approachability, it's almost sweet. :3:

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
It's such a shame they have so few views! They seem so enthusiastic about what they're doing.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Good lord, they actually feature Halo in Reverse as a "band you should know".

quote:

What are most of your lyrics about?

HiR posted:

Hmm... a lot about past relationships. Mostly about past relationships actually, I'm bitter towards a lot of ex's. Of course some are simply about sex, I'll admit I'm a total perv. I have a song finished for the second CD entitled Five To The Wrist. I'm sure you can figure out what that's about if you think about it. LOL!

LOL!

:negative:

DaveSpillings
Jul 31, 2007

"I'll just get a glass of orange juice." "no no no NO NO!!!"
Is anyone else excited for the new Angelspit album coming out next month? They're sharing two tracks on their Facebook page, both of which I think kick major rear end. I know a lot of people basically have love/hate/nothing in between feelings toward their music, but they are touring the US next month and they put on an excellent show with live drums and guitar, so if they're stopping near you you should check it out.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

It's pretty much Angelspit continuing to do what they do, and I like that, so I'm happy.

spider_ross.avi
Jan 15, 2008

nnGUH
Finally listened to the handover previews. Sounds pretty decent, with the exception of NoiseX. It sounds like they are trying to emulate Otto Von Schirach's production style without actually having him in the production crew.

Either way, I know I'll be wrong once it comes out.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

spider_ross.avi posted:

Finally listened to the handover previews. Sounds pretty decent, with the exception of NoiseX. It sounds like they are trying to emulate Otto Von Schirach's production style without actually having him in the production crew.

Either way, I know I'll be wrong once it comes out.

Otto Von Schirach helped out on TGWOTR so there is in fact a chance he helped out on this too. But from I've been told that track was co-created by fellow Subcon artist "Bananasloth".

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

The Cleaner posted:

But from I've been told that track was co-created by fellow Subcon artist "Bananasloth".

Teehee! Given the real identity of the sloth, that's just down right silly.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

The Cleaner posted:

Otto Von Schirach helped out on TGWOTR so there is in fact a chance he helped out on this too. But from I've been told that track was co-created by fellow Subcon artist "Bananasloth".

:ssh: Bananasloth is cEvin Key in a suit.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Saw Covenant last night.

They weren't as good as when I've seen them before (although this is partly because I don't like the new album much), Eskil's singing seemed a bit off at times, and his banter between songs was somewhat incoherent. On the other hand, they played a great version of Theremin which was awesome since I've seen them three times before and they've never played it. Daniel Myer sung parts of Lightbringer and tbh was a better frontman than Eskil. Also, towards the end of the set they played an instrumental that sounded a lot more like a Haujobb track than a Covenant one, and I have no idea what it was, but it was really good.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I keep going to see Covenant for the faint hope that they play Monochrome.

But yeah, the live versions of their older tracks have always been the best parts. Stalker always gets the crowd going nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
They opened with Stalker, which was pretty awesome. They finished with Happy Man, which ended up with Joakim dancing around, Eskil singing and Daniel beatboxing into a mic.