Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

I too wish Atlus would just stop making games that people are actually interested in buying in favor of going to back to near-total obscurity outside of Japan with sales to match. That's the way to get more sequels to and remakes of the old games that only I care about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catalina
May 20, 2008

TurnipFritter posted:

Woah woah woah let's not say things we can't take back. Square actually makes new models for their monsters with every game they make.

I wish you would turn PM's on so I could message you and tell you how your avatar and title and this comment are funny, and I found this comment so hilarious I laughed out loud. :colbert:

Oh, and I like both dungeon crawlers AND anime dating games, separate AND in the same game. So I wish Atlus would...oh, wait. :smug:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't like dating sims but I put up with it in P3 and P4 because some of the characters are pretty good.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Calling Shinjiro "pretty good" is an insult to him

Catalina
May 20, 2008

I guess more precisely, I like games that have relationship values and events. Character interaction is cool, and I like games where that is one of the main focuses. I'm actually pretty pumped to see how it plays out in Devil Survivor 2.

Dog Toggle Switch
May 16, 2006

MarsDragon posted:

Good thing I don't have to buy their anime dating games, then. I played P3P and realised that no, this isn't for me. I don't feel a need to get P4 either. I'm grabbing the IS remake and EP if they ever decide to give us it, but I'm sure not getting their next P3/4 rehash.

The very first SMT game I ever played was Eternal Punishment on the PSX. I loved that game. Played through it multiple times.
But you would have to be some sort of ignorant, rear end-headed fool to maintain that it is a better game than the latter Personas.
If your sole contention is that Persona 2 (IS and EP) is somehow completely devoid of anime sillyness and yet condemn 3 and 4 for it... then you're just beyond hope.

Literally, the defining difference between the two would be that in 3 and 4 you can power up your Persona by having meaningful, in-depth stories with interesting characters, whereas in Persona 2 you get better by grinding out conversations with demons in random battles to collect cards.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Calling Shinjiro "pretty good" is an insult to him

I still haven't done Shinjiro's man, don't you dare.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Catalina posted:

I wish you would turn PM's on so I could message you and tell you how your avatar and title and this comment are funny, and I found this comment so hilarious I laughed out loud. :colbert:

Sorry, the PM don't come on til you max out my SLink.

Catalina posted:

Oh, and I like both dungeon crawlers AND anime dating games, separate AND in the same game. So I wish Atlus would...oh, wait. :smug:

The dungeon crawling would be a lot better if the dungeons were better designed. Like, Tartarus actually looks pretty cool on the outside, and exploring this huge mishmash of buildings would have been neat.

...instead we got hallways.

The gimmick floors in P4 didn't work out very well either. I appreciate that they were trying to spice up the dungeons a bit, but they were crammed into the existing framework of "empty hallways and boxes" and ended up being low budgety and uninspired.

Dog Toggle Switch posted:

Literally, the defining difference between the two would be that in 3 and 4 you can power up your Persona by having meaningful, in-depth stories with interesting characters,

This "literally" isn't the defining difference between the two.

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Sep 1, 2011

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I just want them to ditch the P3/P4 battle system and bring back Press Turn for P5. :argh:

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

They should make Cielo's shmup minigame from DDS into a full release.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
I suppose I should probably modify my earlier statement to say that while I would prefer a core SMT game on an HD console, mostly what I want is an Atlus JRPG on an HD console. Persona, SMT, Raidou, whatever. Just give it to me drat it.

Doorselfin
Dec 18, 2004

You broke my sitar, motherfucker.
GameSpot has their review of Innocent Sin PSP up, and the results aren't great. Seems like it copped a lot of the criticisms of the first Persona remake:

http://au.gamespot.com/psp/rpg/persona2tsumi/review.html

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Doorselfin posted:

GameSpot has their review of Innocent Sin PSP up, and the results aren't great. Seems like it copped a lot of the criticisms of the first Persona remake:

Another reason to not trust gamespot reviews I suppose.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Doorselfin posted:

International Cricket Champion 2011: Better than Persona 2.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
C'mon guys, Gamespot reviews are at least as trustworthy as IGN.

HarveyVdarski
Aug 19, 2011

by Pipski

Doorselfin posted:

Yeah, I was laughing at the earlier post with the 'sperg ranting about how p2 was so much better. I also played it when I was younger, and I thought it was a goddamn messy grindfest. When P3 came out, I was extremely wary, because of how much I hated P2. Thank christ P3 was ten times the game the original was.

So who wants a vita?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

P2 isn't much more grindy than P3, and as I recall the PSP remake alleviates some of the grinding anyway.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

quote:

The fact that the game looks its age makes it less involving still. It wasn't a particularly attractive game in 1999, and the intervening years have not been kind. You view the action from an isometric perspective. The tiny characters express themselves with stiff shrugs and robotic shakes of the head. And although the high schools, record stores, aerospace museums, and other locations that serve as the "dungeons" for this RPG are a refreshing change of pace from the fantasy locales of so many games in the genre, these locations have no personality; one bland hallway is very much like another. Every once in a while, animated sequences are used to lend drama to a situation, but these are too infrequent to have much impact. The game fails to generate much tension in even the most desperate situations, such as (redacted)

This whole paragraph is bad. I agree that IS is pretty ugly, but like all of these problems are still present in P3 and P4.

Edit: And for the record, the characters expressive themselves using bigass emoting character portraits that take up like a quarter of the screen, just like in P3 and P4.

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Sep 1, 2011

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

That paragraph makes it sound like Persona 2.

Thanks Gamespot, pre-ordering now.

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011

TurnipFritter posted:

This whole paragraph is bad. I agree that IS is pretty ugly, but like all of these problems are still present in P3 and P4.

You view the action from an isometric perspective. The tiny characters express themselves with stiff shrugs and robotic shakes of the head. The game fails to generate much tension in even the most desperate situations.

Not in P3/P4 :colbert:

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
Honestly I'm probably not going to buy P2:IS. I liked EP at the time back when I was playing it in high school but I don't think I'd have the time to play it again today (and I assume IS is basically the same kind of thing). Plus for every cool part there was like a million hours of random encounters, grinding rank up on personas, using the same contact actions over and over and over and wandering around dungeons that were way too big for their own good. And yeah some of these things apply to P3 and P4 as well but they just do it a lot less tediously somehow.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Magikoopa189 posted:

You view the action from an isometric perspective. The tiny characters express themselves with stiff shrugs and robotic shakes of the head. The game fails to generate much tension in even the most desperate situations.

Not in P3/P4 :colbert:

No, these are definitely problems in P3 and P4. Yeah, they don't explicitly use isometric angles, but cutscenes are usually framed in a static, boring way so that everyone is visible all at once. The character models are stiff and awkward, and that's why they rely on using the aforementioned bigass character portraits to show emotions instead of the models.

(These are problems with the entire Persona series and are not meant to comment on the quality or lack of quality present in other games Atlus has released. Hopefully P5 will change things up now that they've had a go with Catherine.)

TurnipFritter fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Sep 1, 2011

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Is it just me or does it look like (from the video review) the game's a bit stretched to fit the 16:9 screen?

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet
The screenshots are formatted strangely, because the game itself doesn't look like that.

e: it looks like the edges of the original image were cut off, and then it was stretched.

HarveyVdarski
Aug 19, 2011

by Pipski

TurnipFritter posted:

No, these are definitely problems in P3 and P4. Yeah, they don't explicitly use isometric angles, but cutscenes are usually framed in a static, boring way so that everyone is visible all at once. The character models are stiff and awkward, and that's why they rely on using the aforementioned bigass character portraits to show emotions instead of the models.

(These are problems with the entire Persona series and are not meant to comment on the quality or lack of quality present in other games Atlus has released. Hopefully P5 will change things up now that they've had a go with Catherine.)

Dude, what is your issue? P3/4 are, in overall terms, better than P1 and P2. They are more enjoyable, a smoother ride, with less endless grinding and more enjoyxability. Sure they are gonna milk the Datijg sim poo poo forever, but so is Bioware, and Im betting dimes to dollars you own all of their twisted nethers.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

King of Solomon posted:

I suppose I should probably modify my earlier statement to say that while I would prefer a core SMT game on an HD console, mostly what I want is an Atlus JRPG on an HD console. Persona, SMT, Raidou, whatever. Just give it to me drat it.

Well, it depends on what you call HD, but this might fit the bill. If you want new content then it's pretty obvious that Catherine was Atlus feeling out seventh-gen.

Also the Vita's 960x544, almost four times the resolution of the PS2 SMT titles*. Yeah it'd be nice if I could play it in "smother my entire field of vision with no obvious pixel aliasing" mode - which, at 720p, seventh-gen still can't do - but if the future of the main series is doomed to be portable I can't think of a better place.

*Only the Personas rendered 640x448/512. Most of the SMT stuff was based on the engine used in Wizardry, which was all of 512x224/256 with forced field rendering (to fake 448/512 - and it shows in digital feeds and emulation).

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Sep 1, 2011

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Well, it depends on what you call HD, but this might fit the bill. If you want new content then it's pretty obvious that Catherine was Atlus feeling out seventh-gen.

Yeah, I know about that. By HD console I did mean PS3/360.

The Vita looks like it will be nice, but I want to play it on my TV.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

HarveyVdarski posted:

Dude, what is your issue? P3/4 are, in overall terms, better than P1 and P2. They are more enjoyable, a smoother ride, with less endless grinding and more enjoyxability. Sure they are gonna milk the Datijg sim poo poo forever, but so is Bioware, and Im betting dimes to dollars you own all of their twisted nethers.
He never said anything about what you're arguing, though? He just said P3/P4 had some of the same problems as P1/P2.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

HarveyVdarski posted:

I've never played a Bioware game. I'm... not great at being a nerd. Don't get me wrong, I can obnoxiously and pedantically argue about video games on the internet just fine, but I've missed out on so many of the cultural touchstones. :sigh:

King of Solomon posted:

Yeah, I know about that. By HD console I did mean PS3/360.

The Vita looks like it will be nice, but I want to play it on my TV.

One day, you will get a PS3/360 Megaten game. It just might not be until a week after the PS4 and the NeXtBox launch.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

TurnipFritter posted:

One day, you will get a PS3/360 Megaten game. It just might not be until a week after the PS4 and the NeXtBox launch.

I don't think he's thinking big enough.

Shin Megami Tensei V + Continuation Play. Mother of god.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I have only played P1-3 (all for the first time within the past 3 years) and I thought P2 was the best of the lot by a huge, huge margin. Best music, best story, I guess just "OK" gameplay though I thought it was fine.

I would go as far to say that the collective experience of the two P2 games is amongst my favorite JRPG experiences ever.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.
I feel like the most rear end backwards, bizarre person in the universe because out of all the smt spinoffs my favorite is Devil Survivor. :smith:

Doorselfin posted:

holy poo poo that's horrible. I played the regular IS a month ago on my psp and even with its graphics/gameplay it still deserves a 7.0 at least. P2 deserves better.

Dolphin Fetus fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Sep 1, 2011

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Dolphin Fetus posted:

I feel like the most rear end backwards, bizarre person in the universe because out of all the smt spinoffs my favorite is Devil Survivor. :smith:

At least it had a decent array of alignment choices that gave you some options you might actually take from a story perspective.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

TurnipFritter posted:

We're probably never going to see another full-scale Megaten game on a console again.

Thanks to Portable Acceleration (or whatever the Japanese call it), the industry is effectively abandoning JRPGs for consoles in favor of making them on portables. They've been doing it silently for like 10 years. This is only getting worse with the Vita, where we've got all these devs saying "Oh man we don't have to pay millions of dollars to make a JRPG anymore and it'll still look good!"

The most we can hope for at this point is Vita gets some kind of HDMI-out cradle like the PSP Go did.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Dolphin Fetus posted:

Devil Survivor isn't a bad game but there are kind of a lot of potential dealbreakers in it: if someone hates SRPGs or the game's art style or high-schooler protagonists then it's probably not gonna change their minds about any of those things.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Oh wow, this is a thing. Persona 4: The Ultimate in Mayonaka Arena will be playable at TGS and JAMMA

In a couple weeks, we'll have real gameplay footage and impressions!

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I remember when I found Persona 2 at a used game store, and was excited because I thought I never would. Then I played it and the dull characterization, cheaply designed dungeons (which are better in 3 simply because they're easy to navigate), and awful, awful, battle system turned me off completely. Nothing is more boring than having to chat up those demons, except maybe having to constantly check my map due to every area of the dungeon appearing the exact same. It richly deserves that 5.

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010

Policenaut posted:

We're probably never going to see another full-scale Megaten game on a console again.

Thanks to Portable Acceleration (or whatever the Japanese call it), the industry is effectively abandoning JRPGs for consoles in favor of making them on portables. They've been doing it silently for like 10 years. This is only getting worse with the Vita, where we've got all these devs saying "Oh man we don't have to pay millions of dollars to make a JRPG anymore and it'll still look good!"

The most we can hope for at this point is Vita gets some kind of HDMI-out cradle like the PSP Go did.

Yeah this is just going to accelerate the death of JRPGs in the west.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Nate RFB posted:

I have only played P1-3 (all for the first time within the past 3 years) and I thought P2 was the best of the lot by a huge, huge margin. Best music, best story, I guess just "OK" gameplay though I thought it was fine.

I would go as far to say that the collective experience of the two P2 games is amongst my favorite JRPG experiences ever.

You should really get on playing Persona 4, since it is, in my opinion, the best RPG ever made (not my favorite RPG though, ironically enough).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Wendell posted:

Nothing is more boring than having to chat up those demons,

loving hell, negotiation is retarded. In every single game, it's an annoying concept that favours random poo poo and dragging battles on simply because you need to. Raidhou 1 had it right: exploit a weakness and drag that fucker into a tube like you were a ghostbuster. Then Raidhou 2 goes back to loving negotiation.

Doesn't help that there are pretty much a dozen personalities stretched across a hundred demons.