Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr Slouch
May 8, 2008

HAL9100 posted:

Am I reading this correctly? Sprinting will just eat food out of my inventory?

I think he means the hunger meter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jellymouth
Jul 9, 2009
Fun Shoe
So how about that airline food? Awfully "bland" isn't it? And don't you hate how you always get the mine cart with that one squeaky wheel?

Oh Notch, you joker.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Allow me to vent about how poorly written guides to redstone and its various torches are.

Last night I tried playing with them for fun and reading the wiki, wanting to get to the point where I get how they work well enough to create my own machines.

And the minecraft wiki guides are utter loving poo poo.
The throw out electronic engineering jargon all over everything without defining what they mean. Redstone is not electrical engineering. They are blocks that send values to other blocks in a java-based video game. But I guess everyone knows what a diode does or how to work latches and flip flops.

I feel your pain. I can't even find a decent guide to makeing an electric train system.

The ones I've put together myself are unreliable.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Monster w21 Faces posted:

I feel your pain. I can't even find a decent guide to makeing an electric train system.

I'm kind of glad I'm not the only one who feels this way. I work primarily in art which means that things like basic electronics are really difficult for me to grasp. My first, and at the moment last, redstone project remains embedded in my memory after staring at the wiki diagrams for hours trying to make sense of it, just to implement my extend-o-stairs which are actually useless in the end because only one switch can work at a time. Spent a bit longer trying to make them both cancel each other out, then gave up and built another passage out of the castle.

The original idea was to have a 4 block high by 3 block wide set of stairs that would extend, one line after the other when you'd hit the switch. I have since learned that this is somewhat complicated. The massive hill I had to make around it all to hide the wires and repeaters is kind of cute; it reminds me of older computers which had this massive bulk only to output something very basic and small.

DaftPVF
Aug 14, 2011
This guy built minecraft in minecraft! :w00t:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdnO1QZJ--M

And here's the video of him explaining how it works:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OkGjIcV28A

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

DaftPVF posted:

oh my god. this is loving incredible.

Vinigre
Feb 18, 2011

Prepare your bladder for imminent release!
Well there you have it, folks. Some guy beat minecraft.

zalmoxes
Sep 30, 2009

:eurovision:

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Allow me to vent about how poorly written guides to redstone and its various torches are.

Last night I tried playing with them for fun and reading the wiki, wanting to get to the point where I get how they work well enough to create my own machines.

You might find TaviRider's World of Redstone (http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/222427-taviriders-world-of-redstone/ ) and his videos very helpful. http://www.youtube.com/user/TaviRider

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

DaftPVF posted:

Jesus Christ. :stare:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

DaftPVF posted:

*XZibit joke goes here*

But seriously, holy poo poo that is absolutely incredible

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

Monster w21 Faces posted:

I know a good bit of redstone; it's tricky to explain because in all seriousness, it's basic computer programming. All the gates, latches, are just basic things to build more complicated structures. Tinker with the smaller things like AND, NOR, OR, RS-FLIP and T-FLIP.

Edit: Whoops. Someone already linked about tavirider.

nullEntityRNG fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Sep 1, 2011

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008
poo poo like the Minecraft in Minecraft is what (legitimately) gives me hope for the future. America WILL return triumphantly to space. It'll be someone with far too much time on his hands who made a DeLorean into a spaceship.

KM Scorchio
Feb 13, 2008

"If you don't find rape hilarious, you're a sensitive crybaby."
I'm confident that the first working time machine will be constructed in Minecraft by some bored lunatic like that man.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Turn based gravity is the best thing ever.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

DaftPVF posted:

Well that'll be a first. Just imagine this conversation.

"Huh, nice game you made there, what language did you use to write it?"

"minecraft."

"...."

Amazing.

Rabidsamba
Sep 1, 2011
So Jeb just posted the 1.8 terrain and items

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Science fiction writers, I am sorry to say, really do not know anything. We can't talk about science, because our knowledge of it is limited and unofficial, and usually our fiction is dreadful.

Grimey Drawer

glug posted:

Turn based gravity is the best thing ever.
I'm pretty sure you could make an awesome game just out of that, actually. I wonder why no one's thought to do turn-based stuff in true three dimensions?

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

lenocinor posted:

I wonder why no one's thought to do turn-based stuff in true three dimensions?

Because then, http://www.d20srd.org/srd/movement.htm#movingInThreeDimensions happens.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Rabidsamba posted:

I see two new armor types. Have they been mentioned by Notch yet?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Blocks:
More blended mossy cobblestone.
Fortress blocks, mossy fortress blocks, cracked fortress blocks.
Icicles?
Some kind of yellow melon.
2 mushrooms (cap+stem).
Looks like new wild grass, maybe vines or brambles.
Whatever that stuff at the bottom is. Some kind of modular pattern, like the railroad tracks or redstone dust/wires. No idea what it is, though.

Items:
New bow animation.
Cooked pork looks different.
Added beef and chicken, pre- and post-cooking.
Added 2 things that look like seeds. Perhaps for Melons and Cocoa Beans?
Melon slices.
Zombie skin. Or rotten meat. Either way, it's what zombies drop now instead of feathers.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I see two new armor types. Have they been mentioned by Notch yet?
Nope. That's Chainmail and the outlines for armor.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Nah, one is the now removed chainmail, the other is the background images for your inventory where you drop the armor items to wear them.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

What are those three four textures at the bottom of the terrain.png next to the block-break animation?

Fayez Butts fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Sep 1, 2011

Relaxodon
Oct 2, 2010

Fayez Butts posted:

What are those three four textures at the bottom of the terrain.png next to the block-break animation?

Two of them are probably town borders.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Fayez Butts posted:

They kinda look like footprints for snow, and the two to the right of that look like lines carved into snow for railtracks.

So possible snow covering rails?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Rabidsamba posted:

So Jeb just posted the 1.8 terrain and items

Are the pigmen, ghast, creeper skins stored elsewhere? has he released those bitmaps yet? AFAIK nobody knows what the NPCs will look like.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Hadlock posted:

Are the pigmen, ghast, creeper skins stored elsewhere? has he released those bitmaps yet? AFAIK nobody knows what the NPCs will look like.

Yeah, each mob has a skin file to itself.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Yonic Symbolism posted:

And the minecraft wiki guides are utter loving poo poo.
The throw out electronic engineering jargon all over everything without defining what they mean. Redstone is not electrical engineering. They are blocks that send values to other blocks in a java-based video game.
Redstone actually is electrical engineering. That's why the guides are written as if they're for electrical engineering - because the people who understand Redstone the best, and therefore update the Wiki on how to do things, are those who know how electrical engineering works.

I sympathise because I gently caress up my redstone all the time - I also write training files for my company on complicated functions in Word and Excel and I am used to being brought to task for assuming knowledge of the reader that I feel is "basic knowledge" but is actually pretty advanced for someone who struggles to understand how styles work. Writing instructions for technical knowledge is pretty hard because you have to balance being too technical with being completely waffling and baby-talking: extra hard if you're doing it by committee and someone keeps snipping out your explanation of what a XOR gate is because "it makes the article too long".

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
You'll never go broke appealing to the lowest common denominator.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Ghostlight posted:

Redstone actually is electrical engineering.

Except real-life electrical engineering is actually easier than redstone, because real-life wires don't magically meld together if they're too close to one another.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Polo-Rican posted:

Except real-life electrical engineering is actually easier than redstone, because real-life wires don't magically meld together if they're too close to one another.

But you can get crosstalk on real-life wires that are too close together.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Polo-Rican posted:

Except real-life EE is much trickier. Redstone stuff is more akin to working at the nano scale than individual gates linked with wires. You can totally avoid redstone merging but your circuits will be ridiculously large.

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Contemplating the suckiness of people since 1982
I like that redstone "minecraft" computer, but my god I wish people would script their videos before posting. Just listening to that guy talk made me want to punch something.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I think that new tile set next to the stone breaking animation is for explosions. If you watch the newer videos of 1.8 demos, when a creeper explodes it shoots off rounded particles now as well for the new explosion effect

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

FidgetyRat posted:

I like that redstone "minecraft" computer, but my god I wish people would script their videos before posting. Just listening to that guy talk made me want to punch something.

Expecting someone

a) capable of visualizing, then constructing that in 3D and
b) actually completeing it and then bug testing it

to have superior social/presentation skills is sort of rough. Besides, spending a week in front of the computer doing that sort of thing is liable to drive you just a bit crazy.

Credit is due to him for building that thing. Of the various mega-redstone projects, his seems a lot more carefully thought out and well constructed. I couldn't understand everything he did, but how he handled memory seemed a lot less convoluted than the indian/scandnavian guy who made the 3D color printer last month. See here for comparison: http://youtu.be/pjQ9JL5E9gc?t=4m55s

AN AOL CHAT ROOM
Feb 22, 2003

Power-shovelling fat turds into my cock busted syphilitic maw. Like a fat cunt shovels doughnuts. The resulting turds from my hemorrhoid infested goat fucked ass are pure gold compared to my shitting posts.

FidgetyRat posted:

I don't think I've watched a Minecraft video with the sound unmuted since before the nether update for this reason, and because 99% of the speakers do so through their nose. Earlier this year on youtube there was a channel by "myminecraft" which is just some dude playing singleplayer survival and not talking. To make it less tedious, it was sped up 4x so that an hours' worth of gameplay zipped by in 15 minutes. Once he got redstone, it was obvious that he suffered through the horrible redstone basic tutorials on youtube because he built a combination lock from scratch for his base and then made a doorbell for when the combination was entered successfully. It was my favorite series and lasted about a month but then it disappeared. Anyone know of any Minecraft playthroughs on youtube that's like this?

Honeydew
Nov 27, 2005

That's a very nice jaffa cake you have there

AN AOL CHAT ROOM posted:

I don't think I've watched a Minecraft video with the sound unmuted since before the nether update for this reason, and because 99% of the speakers do so through their nose. Earlier this year on youtube there was a channel by "myminecraft" which is just some dude playing singleplayer survival and not talking. To make it less tedious, it was sped up 4x so that an hours' worth of gameplay zipped by in 15 minutes. Once he got redstone, it was obvious that he suffered through the horrible redstone basic tutorials on youtube because he built a combination lock from scratch for his base and then made a doorbell for when the combination was entered successfully. It was my favorite series and lasted about a month but then it disappeared. Anyone know of any Minecraft playthroughs on youtube that's like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Enbqxf-_ifU

Convicted Bibliophile
Dec 2, 2004

I am the night.
Well, i've never wanted to gouge my ears out before...

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

Hadlock posted:

3D color printer
Seriously who the gently caress are these people and where do they have the time/aspergers level of skill and visualisation to pull this poo poo off

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
wow i'm getting REALLY LOUD AND ZANY ALL OF A SUDDEN this sure is very uhh very uhhh FUNNY HEEE HAA HOO

Hate that kind of thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
Why does it have to be zany?