Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Odette posted:

That's insane. If he ever manages to write all of the books for all of these series, and then some sort of link for inbetween ... it'll take him a very long time.

Stormlight Archive is his main focus for the next 10-15 years. He said he would try to write one to two books a year (after WOT is finished) starting with Stormlight number 2 of 10. He plans to alternate writing Stormlight with something else untill all 10 books are finished.

Mistborn was originally planed as a trilogy of trilogies, the first of wich is complete. The second trilogy was supposed to be in a modern day setting with skyscrapers, guns, computers, cars, etc. The final trilogy was supposed to be sci-fi outerspace. However he got bored after finishing WOT #13 (Towers of Midnight) and wrote The Alloy of Law before starting the last WOT book. Yes, when Brandon gets bored, he cranks out even more books. :stare: The Alloy of Law was supposed to be a short story set a couple hundred years before the start of th next trilogy, but he is hinting that he may expand upon it so who knows.

Warbreaker is getting a sequel called Nightblood. The last chapter pretty much summed up what the book will be about, and I can't wait. Nightblood was the creepy talking murder sword that spoke in a bemused child's voice.

Supposedly there is another Shardworld book that exists that he wrote for his college thesis called Dragonsteel. The only published copy of it was stolen from the BYU library many years ago. Hoid may or may not have been involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.

Cartoon Man posted:

Elantris has at least two, possibly three. (Aon-Dor and whatever the Derethi were using, I forget what it was called.)

Interesting...Though I don't think Elantris has two. At the end, when they're examining the bone of Hrathen and see the Derethi markings, they're like miniature Aons, and they figure that the Derethi have their own way of tapping into Dor. So it's probably the same shard.

Interesting stuff, though...And crazy ambitious.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

A Nice Boy posted:

Interesting...Though I don't think Elantris has two. At the end, when they're examining the bone of Hrathen and see the Derethi markings, they're like miniature Aons, and they figure that the Derethi have their own way of tapping into Dor. So it's probably the same shard.

Good point, I forgot that. Actually now that you mention it, their religions are pretty much splinter factions of the same base faith.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

A Nice Boy posted:

It's been a while since I've read it, but wasn't there some foreign guy that had some sort of mystical sword-fighting style that was pretty obviously magic-based? Then again, I don't think Sanderson really went into detail about it at all (other than dropping hints for a possible sequel), so it may be using Dor or whatever as well.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Eh! Frank posted:

It's been a while since I've read it, but wasn't there some foreign guy that had some sort of mystical sword-fighting style that was pretty obviously magic-based? Then again, I don't think Sanderson really went into detail about it at all (other than dropping hints for a possible sequel), so it may be using Dor or whatever as well.

It was a martial arts yoga type thing if I recall. It gets even more interesting in The Way of Kings when Kaladin does the exact same thing in the one of the chasm-duty scenes with his bridge crew.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

TenaciousJ posted:

Did I gloss over something? The names Ati and Leras aren't bringing anything to mind.

Ati actually came up in one of the chapter markers for Way Of Kings, where it said he was a kind and generous man before he got his shard and went all apeshit.
(Way of kings spoiler?)
Odium was always a dick, though, even before he got his shard.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.

Eh! Frank posted:

Raoden surmises that the glowing fighting style is also another manifestation of AonDor. That's his character's supposition, so who knows if he's right, but as of right now signs point to one shard.

I'm excited for the sequel to Elantris, said to take place 10 years later with some minor characters. I'm assuming Elantris/Teodor will be fighting the entire rest of the world, basically, as they hinted strongly that Wyrn wouldn't be waiting long to invade.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
There's a second shard but it was only mentioned in passing in the book, it hasn't shown up itself yet.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Finally. Hello new background.

http://brandonsanderson.com/blog/1012/THE-WAY-OF-KINGS-interior-illustrations-now-uploaded

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Sep 2, 2011

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Oh gently caress yes. I've been wanting that inside cover image since the book first came out.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
The one thing I feel I really miss out on with e-books is maps. I used to constantly flip back to maps in WOT and just trace the characters path.

I picked up a physical copy of Dance of Dragons the other day and I had the layout all wrong.

DKWildz
Jan 7, 2002

I can't express enough how much I love and searched for that cover picture! Awesome!

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Did anyone extrapolate anything interesting from the "last words" īthat were at the header of each chapter?

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

404GoonNotFound posted:

Oh gently caress yes. I've been wanting that inside cover image since the book first came out.

A thousand times this, but I've only been looking for it since I read the book earlier this year.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Affi posted:

Did anyone extrapolate anything interesting from the "last words" īthat were at the header of each chapter?
They seem to be from a mix of sources since it's pretty obvious that sometimes they're acting like they're being possessed, but other times they're actually lucid. I remember the one with the sailor from Shin telling them to gently caress off and saying that he's not going to tell them anything he saw, and another one where the person was asking them why they were draining his blood. When they are prophesying (or whatever it is), there also seems to be different sources, there was one where it was obviously Talenel talking, another where it was a random Radiant, it's pretty hard to tell what the others were supposed to be.

Jellibean
Nov 10, 2004
All strawberry jellibean

I was pretty sure it was like a hell dimension leaking through, like a Shadesmar link, specifically the one Radiant who was left behind screaming as he's tortured about the incoming apocalypse.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Jellibean posted:

I was pretty sure it was like a hell dimension leaking through, like a Shadesmar link, specifically the one Radiant who was left behind screaming as he's tortured about the incoming apocalypse.
That's Talenel, he's a Herald not a Radiant, the Radiants were the knights that the Heralds founded.

I think the hell dimension was set up to somehow punish violence, since there are sources that seem to think in Roshar at least violence == bad. Syl doesn't feel good about killing, or about shardblades, and the Radiant that Dalinar talked to in his vision mentioned how they were set up to fight so others wouldn't have to and how fighting somehow stains their souls or something. Szeth also fully expects to go to hell for what he's done. Hell might have been set up just to punish people like the Heralds to discourage them from reincarnating, or maybe Odium just hates everyone and happened to create a setup that the other gods could also agree to.

That is sort of depressing though if (a certain amount of) violence is all that's needed to condemn someone to hell in Roshar, there's basically no way to win a setup like that. It's almost as depressing as the hell from The Prince of Nothing.

A Nice Boy
Feb 13, 2007

First in, last out.
Sanderson just posted on Facebook that he's 50 percent done with A Memory of Light!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I'm re-reading Way of Kings, and I'm paying a lot more attention to the chapter headers this time around.

Is the second batch of headers--that is, not the set of peoples' dying words--Hoid, talking to <someone> about whatever it is he's doing in regards to the Shards?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

ConfusedUs posted:

Is the second batch of headers--that is, not the set of peoples' dying words--Hoid, talking to <someone> about whatever it is he's doing in regards to the Shards?

Thats how I interpreted it.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

A Nice Boy posted:

Sanderson just posted on Facebook that he's 50 percent done with A Memory of Light!

My god he's a loving machine.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ConfusedUs posted:

I'm re-reading Way of Kings, and I'm paying a lot more attention to the chapter headers this time around.

Yeah, one of them is definitely him talking about how Ruin used to be a nice guy before he was Ruin, and that Odium was a total cock before he was Odium. I kind of vaguely think Hoid might be a depowered Adon...The big god dude, after losing his shards, or at the very least held a shard at some point..

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Sep 6, 2011

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Alloy of Law Chapter 6 is available.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005FWPMOM?tag=monkeyslothst-20
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/alloy-of-law-brandon-sanderson/1100850816?ean=9781429965989&itm=2&usri=alloy%2bof%2blaw
http://itunes.apple.com/us/book/the-alloy-law-prologue-chapter/id454957755?mt=11

Edit: This was previously released on TOR's website. I guess they want to show what the ebook version looks like?

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Sep 6, 2011

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Brandon Sanderson's twitter posted:

Stromlight two is looking more and more like spring 2013. I'll start it here soon, and will be my big project next year.

Well its not like he hasn't earned a break.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Cartoon Man posted:

Well its not like he hasn't earned a break.

He's put out a ton of books in the last six years, so I'd say he has. If only because he tends to write other, new projects, on his breaks. I could use another Alloy of Law written during his vacation.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

A lot of what came out so fast was written before he started really getting published. He's said a few times that the pace will slow down as that stuff is all out now.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

IRQ posted:

A lot of what came out so fast was written before he started really getting published. He's said a few times that the pace will slow down as that stuff is all out now.

Yes, I know.

I'm referring to the fact that the last time he 'took a break' he wrote The Alloy of Law.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Did he end up ditching the necromantic pizza boy concept that he was working on?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

IRQ posted:

He recently posted on facebook that it took him twice as long to write X number of words for the Wheel of Time as it takes him to write his own works, so he'll be back up to speed once he finishes A Memory of Light.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Charlz Guybon posted:

He recently posted on facebook that it took him twice as long to write X number of words for the Wheel of Time as it takes him to write his own works, so he'll be back up to speed once he finishes A Memory of Light.

Even so, it won't be like 2 novels per year.

I'm not trying to be down on the guy, just realistic.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

arioch posted:

Did he end up ditching the necromantic pizza boy concept that he was working on?

I don't think its officially caned, but he hasn't made a recent anouncement about it either. My guess is that he is going to launch right into Stormlight book 2 after the WOT re-writes are finished, probably sometime in January or February. As Stormlight 2 gets close to being finished, we'll probably hear more about what's next. If Alloy of Law is a huge seller, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that another Mistborn book will be worked on after Stormlight #2. Whether he continues the adventures of Waxillian or heads into a whole new trilogy that he said would take place in a modern setting, I have no idea. I like what I've read so far from the preview chapters of Alloy of Law, but untill I get the final book, I don't know whether I want his story to continue or not. Frankly I hope he writes the Warbreaker sequel or the Elantris sequel after Stormlight 2, but TOR might convince him ($$$$$) otherwise.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I'm just excited that he, even at a fairly slow pace for him, can pump out 1 good-great long book every year or two and another good-great short book in between.

L-O-N
Sep 13, 2004

Pillbug
Hasn't he said before that after AMoL he would try to do one Stormlight Archive book every year and another book in between them every two years?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

L-O-N posted:

Hasn't he said before that after AMoL he would try to do one Stormlight Archive book every year and another book in between them every two years?

Yes. The question is what will be the in between book. I'm hoping he leaves Mistborn alone for a while and writes a sequel to Elantris, Warbreaker, or something completely original like a necromancer pizza delivery boy. Imagine Futurama but instead of SciFi its magic/necromancy.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.

Cartoon Man posted:

Yes. The question is what will be the in between book. I'm hoping he leaves Mistborn alone for a while and writes a sequel to Elantris, Warbreaker, or something completely original like a necromancer pizza delivery boy. Imagine Futurama but instead of SciFi its magic/necromancy.

I think the issue he ran into was that he wanted to write a Fantasy version of Snow Crash, because he's a huge fan of Snow Crash, but I can see how that would be difficult to pull off, especially with his writing style.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

BananaNutkins posted:

I think the issue he ran into was that he wanted to write a Fantasy version of Snow Crash, because he's a huge fan of Snow Crash, but I can see how that would be difficult to pull off, especially with his writing style.

Snow Crash?

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Charlz Guybon posted:

Snow Crash?

Book by Neal Stephenson

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

pakman posted:

Book by Neal Stephenson

Oh my god yes.

This guy is an awesome writer.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

You can win a free t-shirt by commenting on this Alloy of Law t-shirt design.

Its actually kinda cool looking.
http://inkwing.blogspot.com/2011/09/new-design-contest.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Odette posted:

Oh my god yes.

This guy is an awesome writer.

Hmm. Think we'll have to agree to disagree on that one. Loved Snow Crash, liked Zodiac & Diamond Age, but he really went off the deep end of the historical "look how much research I did" novel. I barely made it through Cryptonomicon, and gave up about half way through the first book of the Baroque Cycle.

Maybe I just like my plotlines simpler.