Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

CAUTION: This pussy is ferocious.

Doom Catcher posted:

Is anyone else completely psycho right now? I suddenly have a very short fuse and my normally very mellow self is gone. Things that have rolled off my back for 30+ years are setting me off left and right and it has gotten to the point where my personality is unrecognizable.

Yes. I'm taking a night course for work, and I got a B on an assignment, and I almost started crying because it wasn't an A.

I've got my first "real" prenatal appointment today (had a viability scan about 2 weeks ago). Is the doctor going to think I'm a whack job if I ask her to find ways to minimize how many times I need to have blood drawn? I have very strong physical reactions to having my blood drawn (vomiting, fainting) so if there's a way to space out the blood tests so that I need to have blood drawn fewer times, I'm all for it. (I should note that I'm not a complete needle phobe; I do perfectly well when I get vaccinations or when I needed to get a TB skin test done in the past.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

vanessa posted:

Yes. I'm taking a night course for work, and I got a B on an assignment, and I almost started crying because it wasn't an A.

I've got my first "real" prenatal appointment today (had a viability scan about 2 weeks ago). Is the doctor going to think I'm a whack job if I ask her to find ways to minimize how many times I need to have blood drawn? I have very strong physical reactions to having my blood drawn (vomiting, fainting) so if there's a way to space out the blood tests so that I need to have blood drawn fewer times, I'm all for it. (I should note that I'm not a complete needle phobe; I do perfectly well when I get vaccinations or when I needed to get a TB skin test done in the past.)

Hopefully you won't need too many blood tests. I think the only one I had was for STDs and whatnot towards the beginning of my pregnancy. I did have blood drawn again during the gestational diabetes test, but that test wasn't required, I requested it because of a family history of diabetes. Is that unusual? It's my first pregnancy, and my midwife/birth center is really non-invasive when it comes to tests and exams. (Maybe this is also weird and unusual, but I'm really hoping to go the rest of this pregnancy without any internal exams.)

edit: I also almost went psycho on my husband this morning because his alarm clock kept waking ME up, and the jerk just kept going back to bed over and over. My fuse is extra-short lately when I feel like my husband is being lazy. At least the flip side of these hormones means that food tastes AWESOME.

MoCookies fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Aug 31, 2011

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

MoCookies posted:

Hopefully you won't need too many blood tests. I think the only one I had was for STDs and whatnot towards the beginning of my pregnancy. I did have blood drawn again during the gestational diabetes test, but that test wasn't required, I requested it because of a family history of diabetes. Is that unusual? It's my first pregnancy, and my midwife/birth center is really non-invasive when it comes to tests and exams. (Maybe this is also weird and unusual, but I'm really hoping to go the rest of this pregnancy without any internal exams.)

edit: I also almost went psycho on my husband this morning because his alarm clock kept waking ME up, and the jerk just kept going back to bed over and over. My fuse is extra-short lately when I feel like my husband is being lazy. At least the flip side of these hormones means that food tastes AWESOME.

Yeah the only blood test I had was at the first appointment, to confirm pregnancy and test for STD's and such. Well, actually they did test my blood for the gestational diabetes test (which at least here, everyone is required to take), but that was a finger prick. I imagine if Vanessa doesn't have problems with injections or the TB skin test, she won't have a problem with a finger prick!

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

I did the quad screen and that required around 4 vials of blood, I think. I wanna say that was around 14 weeks.

Good_Vs_Evil
Sep 12, 2006

JBark posted:

Completely unrelated, but this is my favorite blog right now:
http://www.stfuparentsblog.com/

I think of it as a primer for what not to do after our kid is born.

Holy poo poo -- thank you for this.

I think I have enough friends that I could personally contribute enough submissions to keep this site up for many, many months.

I'm so glad to see I'm not the only one that twitches mildly when Facebook friend parents update with stupid poo poo.

Thanks for the input everyone. I'm thinking about taking the 3-months off, but still have to do all the paperwork. I want to see what it will take in case I needed to come back early (if there is a gigantic project at work that absolutely needs me, or my wife gets so tired of my presence that she threatens the very equipment that brought the baby into this world).

Good_Vs_Evil fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Aug 31, 2011

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

but no one can talk to a horse, of course.
My husband will only be able to take 2 weeks of vacation time off, but hopefully that'll help.

Blood - I only had to have it drawn three times. At the first appointment, for quad screening and for gestational diabetes testing. I don't do well with needles, either, so I was glad not to have to deal with them any more than that.

Haha, stfuparents. I could probably contribute enough stories for a whole site from just one Facebook friend. She does every possible annoying parent thing, including:

- Posting literally nothing except child-related things.
- Role-play posting AS HER KID. Like a picture with the comment "Look how big I'm getting!" Or "I love ice cream, it's yummy!" Or "Mommy found me up here after my nap!"
- Potty use updates.
- Constant belly photos of her current pregnancy.
- Early ultrasound pics. Congratulations on your kidney bean with arms.

I also hate it when peoples' profile pic is a picture of their kid, and I have several friends who do this. Like... cool, you had a baby, aren't you a person anymore? And no, I don't think I'll feel differently after having mine!

On that note, if one more person tell me I'm going to be "screaming for that epidural," they're not my friend anymore.

opie
Nov 28, 2000
Check out my TFLC Excuse Log!

The Young Marge posted:

I also hate it when peoples' profile pic is a picture of their kid, and I have several friends who do this. Like... cool, you had a baby, aren't you a person anymore? And no, I don't think I'll feel differently after having mine!
I do this, or at least I did about two years ago. I haven't had a good picture of myself in about four years so I haven't bothered to change it yet. I rarely post anything though.

I had to hide my coworker who posts nonstop cutesy anecdotes about her kid. It's especially annoying because she's a super bitch at work. My sister-in-law created a facebook account for my nephew when he was born, and will post as him ("I love you mommy") and respond as herself ("I love you to"). It's all very goofy to me.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

I believe that the FMLA extends to spouses, as well, just as an fyi. Unpaid, but still. :)

I too thought that posting your kid's picture as your profile picture was dumb. Then I had a kid. And, well, she's cute and does silly things so it happens. :colbert: There are so many much worse things to get mad about on FB than someone posting about their kid. Plus, you can hide them.

bamzilla fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Sep 1, 2011

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!
Yeah I remember complaining about folks on Facebook who only posted about their kids. And then I had a kid, and I have pretty much no life outside of my kid, so I have nothing to post about except for my kid.

I do make a point to keep myself in my profile picture, though, just because it sucks searching for someone and not being sure if the person you have found is actually the person you're looking for, because they aren't in their profile pic!

dishonesty
Sep 11, 2001

There's no place like home.

JBark posted:

My wife's due Dec 18th with our first, and I'm planning on taking off from birth till after the New Year sometime, maybe more. Too much USA work ethic left in me, just can't take more days off without feeling guilty. Thanks IBM for instilling a life-long fear of any sort of extended leave. :)

I'm in Oz, and my wife and I can take a combined 18 weeks at $570 a week if we wanted to. Can't be at same time, but you can share between each other. Or, there's always the $5500 baby bonus if we don't want the maternity leave payments. Man I love Oz and its middle class welfare.

Completely unrelated, but this is my favorite blog right now:
http://www.stfuparentsblog.com/

I think of it as a primer for what not to do after our kid is born.

Just an FYI, the Baby Bonus is paid in fortnightly instalments now, so not a lump sum. There's a calculator on Centrelink's site where you input your family income/situation and it tells you if you'd be better off financially claiming Paid Parental Leave or the Baby Bonus.

Personally we're going to be a couple of grand better off getting the PPL.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
Shouldn't have stressed about the due date, baby arrived the next day. There was some trauma, so for those of you will major tearing and/or blood loss, how long did it take you to recover? What on earth did you do for the pain? Were you really able to walk for an hour a day one week postpartum?

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

Brennanite posted:

Shouldn't have stressed about the due date, baby arrived the next day. There was some trauma, so for those of you will major tearing and/or blood loss, how long did it take you to recover? What on earth did you do for the pain? Were you really able to walk for an hour a day one week postpartum?

If your hospital didn't send you home with any of this, you can get it at Walgreens or any other decently-stocked pharmacy. Just spray it on your junk after every bathroom visit.

brambling lass
Feb 19, 2005

A clock isn't time; it's just numbers and springs. Pay it no mind.
^^^ That.

As for the blood loss, I just felt weak and dizzy (especially in the shower, etc.) for about a week.

Congrats on your baby! Hope you feel better soon.

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

Randomity posted:

Yeah I remember complaining about folks on Facebook who only posted about their kids. And then I had a kid, and I have pretty much no life outside of my kid, so I have nothing to post about except for my kid.

:ohdear: I worry about this happening after having a kid, and I think that's why it bothers me so much. I can totally see posting pics if they're funny or cute, just not... every single day. And hopefully accompanied by something a little wittier than "look at me, I'm so big now! I wuv my mommy!"

The profile pic thing confuses me because you are not your kid, you are you. (Aren't you?) It's especially weird when people post "OMG, got so wasted last night, LOL" and it's a picture of, like, a 2-year-old.

I feel the same way about people who relentlessly post cutesy poo poo about their significant other. And people who have joint Facebook accounts. Hello, our name is JillAndJoe Smith. It's our birthday today! I just can't imagine being that wrapped up in somebody else's identity when I have a perfectly good one of my own.

Sorry for the derail. Here's a pic of the awesome baby shoes I found at Ross for 3 bucks:

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

The Young Marge posted:

:ohdear: I worry about this happening after having a kid, and I think that's why it bothers me so much. I can totally see posting pics if they're funny or cute, just not... every single day. And hopefully accompanied by something a little wittier than "look at me, I'm so big now! I wuv my mommy!"

The profile pic thing confuses me because you are not your kid, you are you. (Aren't you?) It's especially weird when people post "OMG, got so wasted last night, LOL" and it's a picture of, like, a 2-year-old.

I feel the same way about people who relentlessly post cutesy poo poo about their significant other. And people who have joint Facebook accounts. Hello, our name is JillAndJoe Smith. It's our birthday today! I just can't imagine being that wrapped up in somebody else's identity when I have a perfectly good one of my own.

Sorry for the derail. Here's a pic of the awesome baby shoes I found at Ross for 3 bucks:

I know exactly what you mean. I am only 16 weeks today, but this remains one of my biggest fears, losing my identity. I consciously try not to make posts about my pregnancy. And I will do the same once the baby is born.

One weird thing I've noticed though, no one else can shut up about me being pregnant and attributing EVERYTHING to me being knocked up. For example, my neck has been really stiff and sore the past few days. I am almost 100% certain this is due to sitting on my couch at a weird angle while I marathoned a TV show. I posted on Facebook how it hurts and the first comment is "That would be your hormones, my dear."

No, not everything is because I'm pregnant. Another example was I commented on how I liked our national anthem because it's not all machismo and is just a cool poem about the flag. My mother and my best friend both posted about how my hormones are making me sentimental.

It's really loving annoying. I haven't had any hormone problems yet this pregnancy. No wild mood swings, no crying over nothing, no snapping at people or losing control. But this makes me want to scream.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
Everybody knows better than you, didn't you know? When I commented about how many damned baby clothes I inherited, my mother-in-law and her sister both clucked their tongues and laughed condescendingly. 9 months later, most of those clothes still sit in bins unused, because I am not an idiot and can still do a load of laundry on a regular basis.

As for the Facebook dilemma, I keep almost all of my kid's pictures in their own folder and I post a batch once a week or so. I do it mostly for the grandparents to see his growth, and I try to keep it to a minimum. I also post a few status updates about him, but nothing disgusting or sappy or uninformative. My profile pic is of my kid, but it's an awesome shot of him about to be licked in the mouth by our dog and it makes me laugh every time I see it, so it's staying until I find something better.

I have too many annoying friends on Facebook who post all the time about how in love they are, or how blessed their lives are, or every awesome detail of their awesome day. I try not to add to the histrionics.

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

Bodnoirbabe posted:

.One weird thing I've noticed though, no one else can shut up about me being pregnant and attributing EVERYTHING to me being knocked up. For example, my neck has been really stiff and sore the past few days. I am almost 100% certain this is due to sitting on my couch at a weird angle while I marathoned a TV show. I posted on Facebook how it hurts and the first comment is "That would be your hormones, my dear."

Yes! Yes! This! I was talking to my mother-in-law yesterday about how my car wouldn't start again. We'd taken it in 2 weeks earlier for the same thing and it was supposed to have been fixed. Obviously it was annoying to get stranded and have to wait 2 hours for a ride, then possibly deal with more car repair bills. She said to me, "I can tell you're close to your due date. You have that 'edge' in your voice!" :haw: What the gently caress? Um, no; I have an "edge" to my voice because I am in the middle of a conversation about my broken-rear end car. Should I sound... happier?

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

Bodnoirbabe posted:

One weird thing I've noticed though, no one else can shut up about me being pregnant and attributing EVERYTHING to me being knocked up.

Same here! At work the other day, I mentioned being tired and immediately got a nice long lecture about how this was just the beginning and I have SO many more sleepless nights ahead of me and if I thought pregnancy was bad, wait until I have my baby! Well actually, I'm pretty sure being tired had way more to do with staying up until 1am dicking around on the internet rather than being pregnant, but whatever.

I just hit my third trimester and even with baby stuff beginning to fill our bedroom and feeling my cervix get pummeled every day from the inside, I can't seem to wrap my head around the fact that I'll be holding a baby before Christmas. Does it ever really sink in? And can I do anything about the cervix pummeling or do I just have to deal until she's born?

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.

dishonesty posted:

Personally we're going to be a couple of grand better off getting the PPL.

Yeah, quick run through the calculator a while back showed we were much better off on the PPL as well, assuming I can convince my wife to actually take the full PPL. She's finishing vet school less than a month before her due date (crazy? yeah.) and I think she really is looking forward to getting back to a real job.

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

Banana Cat posted:

Same here! At work the other day, I mentioned being tired and immediately got a nice long lecture about how this was just the beginning and I have SO many more sleepless nights ahead of me and if I thought pregnancy was bad, wait until I have my baby! Well actually, I'm pretty sure being tired had way more to do with staying up until 1am dicking around on the internet rather than being pregnant, but whatever.

I just hit my third trimester and even with baby stuff beginning to fill our bedroom and feeling my cervix get pummeled every day from the inside, I can't seem to wrap my head around the fact that I'll be holding a baby before Christmas. Does it ever really sink in? And can I do anything about the cervix pummeling or do I just have to deal until she's born?

I can't believe all those people giving lectures about how much worse being a parent is than being pregnant - STFU already. It's like they have to one-up you or something or they're not the superior parent.

I enjoy blaming random poo poo on the baby, but I also don't have a bunch of well-meaning assholes giving me lectures about what it means to be a parent, and how tired I'll be, and blah blah blah. Its mostly just because I want my husband to go up and down the 2 flights of stairs to get whatever stupid thing I forgot so I don't have to. I can deal with the stairs or BH contractions, but both at the same time is no bueno.

Just hit 3rd trimester, too. That cervix punching and kicking is awful. Have you tried the inversions and whatnot from spinningbabies.com yet? Thankfully, I've found it gets my little dude to move elsewhere at least half of the time.

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

MoCookies posted:

Just hit 3rd trimester, too. That cervix punching and kicking is awful. Have you tried the inversions and whatnot from spinningbabies.com yet? Thankfully, I've found it gets my little dude to move elsewhere at least half of the time.

I'm almost 32 weeks right now, so maybe just slightly ahead of you guys, and up until a few days ago, I was dealing with a ton of cervix kicking/punching. It was like he was trying to kick his way out already. I think he may have turned himself at this point because now he's kicking elsewhere... but it's even more painful! Like oof, right in the middle/front of my gut. And his little baby limbs are all pointy, so it's really uncomfortable. I can't decide if I'd rather go back to the cuntpunching, though.

I haven't had any contractions yet, BH or otherwise. I'm wondering when that will start happening, but I know it's completely different for everyone.

yawnie
Jul 29, 2003
lollerz.

Banana Cat posted:

Not sure if it would work the same for cervix pummeling, but when baby kicks/jams a butt into my ribs, I apply firm and steady pressure downward on that part of my belly to encourage him to GTFO of that spot. It usually works, though as soon as I remove the pressure he goes right back to where he was. Sigh.

I don't really get all the Facebook hate. If someone annoys me on my feed, I hide their posts. I also post whatever the gently caress I want to my own wall, assuming others will hide me if I annoy them, because it's my page and if I want to say my kid is the poo poo or I love my husband, then I'm going to. I also think my identity is comprised of slightly more than what's on my Facebook profile picture, so I don't think I'd have any qualms about setting the picture as my kid for a while. I guess we'll see how it goes after I pop this baby out. So far I've never had the urge to set my picture as one of my ultrasounds, even though I've gotten some kick rear end 3D pics of him, but if I decide one day that I want to, I guess I feel like it's my page and people can get over it.

As far as people's annoying advice and comments, I've recently learned that once you hit the later stages of pregnancy you're basically not allowed to feel tired or uncomfortable because it's going to get SO MUCH WORSE right before the baby comes. While I know that's true for most people, and I do dread weeks 36-40, I'm still loving tired and uncomfortable RIGHT NOW. But dare I even hint at feeling this way, and I get FLOODED with "Oh honey child wait til you hit the end and you'll literally do anything to get that baby out of you!!!!!". I wish I knew what it was about pregnancy that brings out the most condescending and offensive sides of everyone around you. So far I haven't come up with any good passive-aggressive retorts, suggestions are welcome. :rolleyes:

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
My baby just switched to pummeling my ribs and headbutting my cervix. I was cheated. The last six weeks sucked so much. Ironically, it's not the labor/delivery/caring for a newborn that makes me want to have no more kids, it's that drat last few weeks of pregnancy.

Eternal thanks to Randomity and anythingbutbloo for the dermaplast suggestion. I am a much more comfortable and happy person. Also, anythingbutbloo, if you don't mind, how much blood did you lose? I'm trying to gauge how bad my own loss was.

brambling lass
Feb 19, 2005

A clock isn't time; it's just numbers and springs. Pay it no mind.

Brennanite posted:

Also, anythingbutbloo, if you don't mind, how much blood did you lose? I'm trying to gauge how bad my own loss was.

To be honest, I'm not entirely sure. My husband would have a better idea, as he works in the field and was more aware of everything going on at that time than I was (he says "a lot" -- super helpful, no? :shobon:). It was enough that my doctor was called in earlier than usual during labour and, afterward, strongly recommended a blood transfusion for me. For reasons not worth going into, I really preferred to not receive blood and, after speaking with my doctor to ensure that this wasn't a terrible choice, I declined a transfusion. I was told to expect to feel "off" for several weeks. The first few days were the worst -- standing, showering, etc. really got to me fast, and I just felt extra exhausted (though I imagine some of that also had to do with just having a baby and all), but after a week or two I didn't notice it nearly as much. I also had some pretty bad baby blues for a couple weeks, so I don't imagine that helped any.

Sorry I can't offer a better comparison. The best thing for me was just taking it easy, resting as much as I could (cuddling my new baby!) and waiting it out. I was also given some iron pills, if I'm remembering correctly.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

anythingbutbloo posted:

To be honest, I'm not entirely sure. My husband would have a better idea, as he works in the field and was more aware of everything going on at that time than I was (he says "a lot" -- super helpful, no? :shobon:). It was enough that my doctor was called in earlier than usual during labour and, afterward, strongly recommended a blood transfusion for me. For reasons not worth going into, I really preferred to not receive blood and, after speaking with my doctor to ensure that this wasn't a terrible choice, I declined a transfusion. I was told to expect to feel "off" for several weeks. The first few days were the worst -- standing, showering, etc. really got to me fast, and I just felt extra exhausted (though I imagine some of that also had to do with just having a baby and all), but after a week or two I didn't notice it nearly as much. I also had some pretty bad baby blues for a couple weeks, so I don't imagine that helped any.

Sorry I can't offer a better comparison. The best thing for me was just taking it easy, resting as much as I could (cuddling my new baby!) and waiting it out. I was also given some iron pills, if I'm remembering correctly.

Yeah, I never would have known either (besides my husband's description of "gushing waterfall") if the delivery nurse hadn't told me. I was curious because they didn't transfuse me, which seemed to really confuse and piss off the postpartum nurse. I'm really glad to hear you were able to bounce back fairly quickly. I only planned a two-week maternity leave and would like to feel at least able to walk around and sit w/o a donut by then.

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

MoCookies posted:

I admit I was slightly disappointed that there was no .gif of a baby endlessly spinning in circles in a uterus on this site, but I'll try some of the stuff on there. Every time I've gone to the doc so far, baby's been head down, so she's either punching my cervix or she's just been on her best behavior during my exams, only to be a little brat as soon as I go home. Probably the latter, if it's my kid.

starshine
Nov 26, 2007

Brennanite posted:

Yeah, I never would have known either (besides my husband's description of "gushing waterfall") if the delivery nurse hadn't told me. I was curious because they didn't transfuse me, which seemed to really confuse and piss off the postpartum nurse. I'm really glad to hear you were able to bounce back fairly quickly. I only planned a two-week maternity leave and would like to feel at least able to walk around and sit w/o a donut by then.
Congratulations on your baby, going to announce details? Squishy newborn pic? ;)

What kind of job do you work? I don't think I was able to cook myself a legitimate meal for almost two weeks, and I didn't even have any stitches or unusual blood loss. Can't imagine going back to work that soon!

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

starshine posted:

Congratulations on your baby, going to announce details? Squishy newborn pic? ;)

What kind of job do you work? I don't think I was able to cook myself a legitimate meal for almost two weeks, and I didn't even have any stitches or unusual blood loss. Can't imagine going back to work that soon!

I'm a grad student, so I just need to be able to attend my classes. Luckily, my mom will be here to help with the cooking/cleaning/baby-sitting when I go back. Also, sorry for the lack of baby details, I completely forgot I hadn't posted them!

Baby Brennanite was born Saturday morning. I awoke in the early morning to my water breaking. And breaking. Seriously, I could not believe how the fluid just keep coming. I showered and contractions started. My husband started freaking out when he realized they were way closer than 5 minutes apart. The intake nurse was shocked I was already 6 cm dilated by the time we reached the hospital. Four hours later, I had a baby. The delivery was a little complicated and I hemorrhaged afterwards, winding up in the OR and losing 44 oz of blood there. He, however, is perfect and adorable and very big. 8.5 lbs, 21.5 in long. Total labor: 6 hrs, which apparently is some kind of record for first-time mothers.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Brennanite posted:

and very big. 8.5 lbs

Several other ladies on the forums would have words with you over this ;) Congratulations! Mine was an 8lb'er too.

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

So would my mom. I was 11.5 pounds when i was born and about the size of a three month old.

e: I did tell me wife about it a long time ago so she is ready to have what i likely to be a big baby.

Number19 fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Sep 2, 2011

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Number19 posted:

So would my mom. I was 11.5 pounds when i was born and about the size of a three month old.

e: I did tell me wife about it a long time ago so she is ready to have what i likely to be a big baby.

My husband was an 11 and a half lb baby too! I was worried about having a gigantic baby but it wasn't really an issue. I think it more has to do with the mother's side - if there's even any correlation at all.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
My great-grandmother kept good genealogy records, and because of her I was able to see that the big baby gene goes back to the 19th century in my family. That's on my mother's side of the family. Great-great-howevermany grandma had 9 pound girls and 10+ pound boys.

My sister and my SIL both had babies over 10 pounds, but then mine were 7 and 9.

starshine
Nov 26, 2007
My husband was over 10 lbs, I was 6.14, and Julia was pretty close to the middle at 8.10! Two weeks early though - if she'd come on her due date, probably would have been 9 and a half pounds. Thank you baby for arriving early ;)

Brennanite, I'm glad you have your mom to depend on when you go back. As you know, the early weeks of parenting can be rough due to hormones, blood pressure, and sleep deprivation! My SIL also lost a lot of blood after delivery (placenta was stuck/broken apart and she ended up having to get a D&C), had 2 transfusions, and still had to take a ton of iron several times a day for months. Best of luck getting through your semester without going nuts!

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
My baby was a relatively big 9 1/2 pounds at birth, but at 9-months old is only 16 1/2 pounds. Just because your baby is born big doesn't mean it will stay big.

Bruce is healthy and active and mainly breastfed, so every time we bring up our concerns about his weight the doctors reassure us he is perfectly healthy.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

hepscat posted:

My great-grandmother kept good genealogy records, and because of her I was able to see that the big baby gene goes back to the 19th century in my family. That's on my mother's side of the family. Great-great-howevermany grandma had 9 pound girls and 10+ pound boys.

My sister and my SIL both had babies over 10 pounds, but then mine were 7 and 9.

That's really cool that they kept genealogy records including birth weights!

I was a 7lb 8oz baby so my kid definitely was closer to my size. My MIL is also short like me (5'2-3'ish) so I can't even imagine carrying a baby that big. Also, forecep delivery :ohdear:

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

bamzilla posted:

My husband was an 11 and a half lb baby too! I was worried about having a gigantic baby but it wasn't really an issue. I think it more has to do with the mother's side - if there's even any correlation at all.

Well my wife was also a decent size at over 9 lbs and she's already pretty big at almost 7 months so I'm pretty sure the baby will be on the bigger side.

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

Ask me why I'm not squatting.
I have a question - do you go to the hospital as soon as your water breaks or do you wait until contractions are a certain length apart?

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Tesla Insanely Coil posted:

I have a question - do you go to the hospital as soon as your water breaks or do you wait until contractions are a certain length apart?

The general advice is as soon as your water breaks (most hospitals in the US won't let you labor longer than 24 hours after your water breaks so they want to keep track of when that happens) or your contractions are five minutes apart for an hour. Most of the time your water doesn't break until you're already in active labor. Mine didn't break until I was pushing each time.

That said.. my contractions were never regular. They would be 8 minutes then 2 minutes then 5 minutes then 10 minutes then 2 minutes etc. Even when I was pushing with all three of my labors. So I called my midwife as soon as it was really painful. I also had short labors; the longest was 7 hours.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

Tesla Insanely Coil posted:

The hospital told me to come in as soon as my waters broke, minus a quick shower, change of clothes and something to eat. Not only do they like to monitor you, but they want to make sure your labor is steadily progressing since any interventions are restricted by the 24 hr limit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opie
Nov 28, 2000
Check out my TFLC Excuse Log!

Brennanite posted:

The hospital told me to come in as soon as my waters broke, minus a quick shower, change of clothes and something to eat. Not only do they like to monitor you, but they want to make sure your labor is steadily progressing since any interventions are restricted by the 24 hr limit.
This is how it went with me. I called the hospital when I figured out what was going on, and they said to take a shower and come in. That was at 9-10pm, and I didn't start noticing contractions until about 5 or 6am the next morning. They gave me pitocin and I was ready to push at around 4pm I think.