Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Here's one of those rare questions for you guys:

Can you format/move/use a CF card from a 2851 in a 7206VXR NPE-G2? I'm going to upgrade one of my NPE-G1's to a G2 this weekend and I wanted to prep the CF card in advance with the IOS image and config files ready to go. I just don't have another 7206 chassis laying around to play with. I do have some 2811s and 2851s though.

*edit* Looks like it doesn't work. The file systems on the cards are different.

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Sep 1, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

CrazyLittle posted:

Here's one of those rare questions for you guys:

Can you format/move/use a CF card from a 2851 in a 7206VXR NPE-G2? I'm going to upgrade one of my NPE-G1's to a G2 this weekend and I wanted to prep the CF card in advance with the IOS image and config files ready to go. I just don't have another 7206 chassis laying around to play with. I do have some 2811s and 2851s though.

*edit* Looks like it doesn't work. The file systems on the cards are different.

You can format any compatible CF card in IOS, but I don't think you can just move and read files between a VXR and ISR

Look up the erase command to format a card.

edit: I guess if your goal is to pre-prep the CF card formatting won't help you out

bort
Mar 13, 2003

My advice: don't get fancy. The time it saves you versus the potential for it to a) not work or even do harm or b) be yet another thing you have to troubleshoot that slows down your execution. Get downtime scheduled and approved. Format it in the router, transfer the software and config to it and go. Shouldn't be down that long, and if their downtime requirements are so stringent they can't let you change software, why can't they afford redundant/test infrastructure?

Presumably there's income you're interrupting, to put a finer point on it.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

bort posted:

My advice: don't get fancy. The time it saves you versus the potential for it to a) not work or even do harm or b) be yet another thing you have to troubleshoot that slows down your execution. Get downtime scheduled and approved. Format it in the router, transfer the software and config to it and go. Shouldn't be down that long, and if their downtime requirements are so stringent they can't let you change software, why can't they afford redundant/test infrastructure?

Presumably there's income you're interrupting, to put a finer point on it.

Nah, I have the downtime scheduled already, and it's a redundant access point for some customers but not all. There are a couple of DS3s hanging off of it for T1 customers and those are going to go down when the router does. I just wanted to see if I could shortcut a little extra time by having a spare IOS image or the running config already on the card. Hanging out in a colo at midnight on a weekend isn't my idea of a party.

H.R. Paperstacks
May 1, 2006

This is America
My president is black
and my Lambo is blue
So it looks like the datacenter forklift is going to be be ASR9K, ASA5585's and Nexus 7Ks, ya know, so it can mirror our other one that is all Juniper.

God I love the government. There is no reason hot-sites should match vendor wise right........

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Quick problem hopefully. With a pix I did a port redirection but now any traffic not matching the port redirection will not match the non-port redirection xlate, so basically port 80 -> 8080 will work but all other traffic is dropped.

NATs:

static (inside,outside) tcp EX.TE.RN.AL www 10.50.105.72 8080 netmask 255.255.255.255
static (inside,outside) EX.TE.RN.AL 10.50.105.72 netmask 255.255.255.255

Already cleared connections and xlate, no help. Here's the log:

Deny inbound (No xlate) udp src outside:EX.TE.RN.AL/36659 dst outside:EX.TE.RN.AL/161

Security on the outside is 0, inside is 100.

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd

Sepist posted:

Quick problem hopefully. With a pix I did a port redirection but now any traffic not matching the port redirection will not match the non-port redirection xlate, so basically port 80 -> 8080 will work but all other traffic is dropped.

NATs:

static (inside,outside) tcp EX.TE.RN.AL www 10.50.105.72 8080 netmask 255.255.255.255

Already cleared connections and xlate, no help. Here's the log:

Deny inbound (No xlate) udp src outside:EX.TE.RN.AL/36659 dst outside:EX.TE.RN.AL/161

Security on the outside is 0, inside is 100.

1) Run it through packet-tracer.
'packet-tracer input interface outside tcp 4.2.2.1 80 EX.TE.RN.AL 80 det' and
'packet-tracer input interface outside tcp 4.2.2.1 31261 EX.TE.RN.AL 3389 det'

2) Am I understanding that all other inbound traffic from the external world is dropped? That's by design, you didn't permit any other translations from the outside world inbound. Since that's udp 161 that's an snmp poll and your PIX/ASA is just dropping it because it's not listening for it.

3) What do you have for (assuming pre-8.3) nat and global statements?

jbusbysack fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Sep 2, 2011

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
This is a pix FWSM not an ASA.

global (outside) 1 interface
nat (inside) 1 10.50.105.0 255.255.255.0

Prior to having the port redirection nat I only had

configured with an outside ACL allowing specific access in. The ACL is still in place but it's being ignored for some reason.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
Found the certification thread gonna ask there

Syano fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Sep 2, 2011

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
Nevermind just found out you can't have two xlates, gonna move this port redirection to their load balancer to restore the global xlate.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Have any of you guys ever used the USB ports on these cisco routers? What're they good for?

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?

CrazyLittle posted:

Have any of you guys ever used the USB ports on these cisco routers? What're they good for?

They are for storage, just like a flash slot.

ior
Nov 21, 2003

What's a fuckass?

inignot posted:

They are for storage, just like a flash slot.

Good for charging your bluetooth serialport. Or storage, that works too.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

CrazyLittle posted:

Haha. They worked like 4 years ago. Would recognize USB drives etc. I think they are usable for booting now, but originally they were for encryption keys. You would ship the router with an encrypted configuration. Then ship the USB key separately. Boot up the Router with the USB Key, and the config would decrypt and run, and you could join your WAN as a trusted device. Take the USB Key out, and if the router ever rebooted, it would be locked down, unless it got the USB key again.

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd

ior posted:

Good for charging your bluetooth serialport. Or storage, that works too.

Only time I've used it was for charging my phone.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
I use them to upload iOS'. Just format a USB drive, put the iOS on it, and you're good to go.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

I use them to upload iOS'. Just format a USB drive, put the iOS on it, and you're good to go.

Did you type this on an Apple device? :haw:

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Martytoof posted:

Did you type this on an Apple device? :haw:

He's gotta upgrade his routers to get the good apps man! Sucks that it resets the jailbreak though :(

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Can you actually boot off of USB drives now?

That wasn't supported 4 years ago, and I'm not sure it could be without upgrading ROMMON.

nzspambot
Mar 26, 2010

Powercrazy posted:

Can you actually boot off of USB drives now?

That wasn't supported 4 years ago, and I'm not sure it could be without upgrading ROMMON.

yep, does require a specific ROMMON but works very well, either upgrading a CF Flash or testing or using for a rollback or whatever

done all of those lots of times

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

CrazyLittle posted:

It'd be nice if you could use them as a serial interface since laptops don't come with serial ports anymore, and are starting to not come with ethernet ports either.

ior
Nov 21, 2003

What's a fuckass?

Bob Morales posted:

It'd be nice if you could use them as a serial interface since laptops don't come with serial ports anymore, and are starting to not come with ethernet ports either.

Many of the newer Cisco devices come with a USB serial port. Have a look at the 1900 for example.

para
Nov 30, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

I have one of these Belkin USB/serial adapters. It worked great up until I switched to Windows 7 and found out the only drivers Belkin has is for WinXP. Then I found this guys website that has a working driver for it. It would be more convenient to only have to carry a USB cable with me, but the adapter is pretty solid.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I imagine that everyone in this thread has something like that. Also I don't think that serial connections will ever change from the 9600 baud 8pin serial that we all know and love.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Question for you boys

Cisco sells 16-port 10gb Ethernet/FCoE or 16-port 10gb/Ethernet/FCoE/Native fiberchannel modules for their Nexus 5500 range. As far as I can tell these modules are exactly the same aside from the native FC support and they actually both cost exactly the same as well.

Why would anyone opt for the ethernet/FCoE only card when you can also get native FC support for no extra cost?

Bardlebee
Feb 24, 2009

Im Blind.
I'm having trouble remembering where hashing comes into play in a IPSec VPN connection, more so in the process then what its used for. I know its used for integrity and to make sure no one has changed the info... but I forget what MD5 or SHA-1 (Whichever one you choose) hashes in the process.

Any ideas? Apparently my google-fu is weak.

workape
Jul 23, 2002

abigserve posted:

Question for you boys

Cisco sells 16-port 10gb Ethernet/FCoE or 16-port 10gb/Ethernet/FCoE/Native fiberchannel modules for their Nexus 5500 range. As far as I can tell these modules are exactly the same aside from the native FC support and they actually both cost exactly the same as well.

Why would anyone opt for the ethernet/FCoE only card when you can also get native FC support for no extra cost?

Perhaps there is some weird bundling options for the SPS as well. That doesn't make a whole lot of sense as the big push on the 5500's was the unified port with everything on there, why in the poo poo would you want a module that doesn't support FC as well?

Maybe some people get uppity about the nature of having FC sitting around as well.

poo poo, that's just weird. Now I am curious about this too.

Bardlebee posted:

I'm having trouble remembering where hashing comes into play in a IPSec VPN connection, more so in the process then what its used for. I know its used for integrity and to make sure no one has changed the info... but I forget what MD5 or SHA-1 (Whichever one you choose) hashes in the process.

Any ideas? Apparently my google-fu is weak.

From: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk583/tk372/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094203.shtml

The default in Cisco IOS is SHA, which is more secure than MD5.

workape fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Sep 6, 2011

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

para posted:

I have one of these Belkin USB/serial adapters. It worked great up until I switched to Windows 7 and found out the only drivers Belkin has is for WinXP. Then I found this guys website that has a working driver for it. It would be more convenient to only have to carry a USB cable with me, but the adapter is pretty solid.

I use something stupidly generic and Win7 auto detected it.

captaingimpy
Aug 3, 2004

I luv me some pirate booty, and I'm not talkin' about the gold!
Fun Shoe

workape posted:

Maybe some people get uppity about the nature of having FC sitting around as well.

I know this is wrong, asking for bad juju, whatever, but if you want to enforce no new FC purchases, this is how to do it. Also, for the unified piece, they actually want you to go over to the 6000 series boxes.

With the 5k's able to do everything now...the landscape is getting really confusing.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

I'm having a weird issue with a new 2951 I'm setting up. In the past I've configured a bunch of 2851s and have used the NME switch modules and they show up no problem.

As some of you may know, the newer 2951 has "sm" ports so to use the NME-16ES-1G module I have to use a sm-nme adapater. When I boot up the 2951 I see the lights on the nme go on and I also can connect cables and get link, but the drat thing isn't showing up anywhere that I can see. For some strange reason it seems to just be creating a gig interface but none of the FE interfaces.

quote:

Cisco CISCO2951/K9 (revision 1.1) with 2054144K/43008K bytes of memory.
Processor board ID FCZ152421PS
4 Gigabit Ethernet interfaces
1 terminal line
1 Virtual Private Network (VPN) Module
DRAM configuration is 72 bits wide with parity enabled.
255K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.
4001760K bytes of ATA System CompactFlash 0 (Read/Write)

anyone have any ideas?

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco
Can you send me a show tech?

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Which iOS are you running?

Is the NME-16ES-1G also brand new?

Every problem I've run into with this was either an iOS issue or hardware incompatibility.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Do we have someone here working at Microsoft as a network engineer? I can't recall if we do.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Tremblay posted:

Can you send me a show tech?

Looking at the show inventory I'm seeing the module and it automatically adds the line "hw-module sm 1" but it only adds an unusable gig interface instead of all the FE interfaces.

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Which iOS are you running?

Is the NME-16ES-1G also brand new?

Every problem I've run into with this was either an iOS issue or hardware incompatibility.

I bought all of this new but the module could definitely be older.

edit:
Figured it out, I've never used a switch module like this one. It actually has it's own configuration separate from the router, it runs it's own IOS and everything. To access it form the CLI you have to assign an address to the gi1/0 interface that it creates and then you can access the cli using this command

service-module gi1/0 session

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Sep 7, 2011

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

ElCondemn posted:

Looking at the show inventory I'm seeing the module and it automatically adds the line "hw-module sm 1" but it only adds an unusable gig interface instead of all the FE interfaces.

edit:
Figured it out, I've never used a switch module like this one. It actually has it's own configuration separate from the router, it runs it's own IOS and everything. To access it form the CLI you have to assign an address to the gi1/0 interface that it creates and then you can access the cli using this command

Gig1/0 is the backplane connection between the switch and the router. I can never keep the PNs straight on which module is which. Those modules run 3750 images so they are quite capable.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

ElCondemn posted:

edit:

Makes sense.

We have to do something similar with certain T1 cards.

Bardlebee
Feb 24, 2009

Im Blind.
I haven't worked a whole lot with Cisco ASA's, but how does it know in a NAT statement which interface is outside and which is inside? For instance check out this NAT CLI:

hostname(config)# nat (inside) 1 10.1.2.0 255.255.255.0

hostname(config)# global (outside) 1 209.165.201.1-209.165.201.15

Do you establish the inside and outside interfaces via the CLI like on a router?

ip nat inside and ip nat outside for instance.

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd

Bardlebee posted:

I haven't worked a whole lot with Cisco ASA's, but how does it know in a NAT statement which interface is outside and which is inside? For instance check out this NAT CLI:

hostname(config)# nat (inside) 1 10.1.2.0 255.255.255.0

hostname(config)# global (outside) 1 209.165.201.1-209.165.201.15

Do you establish the inside and outside interfaces via the CLI like on a router?

ip nat inside and ip nat outside for instance.

Those are the 'nameif' names applied to the interface (or sub-int).

Bardlebee
Feb 24, 2009

Im Blind.

jbusbysack posted:

Those are the 'nameif' names applied to the interface (or sub-int).

Oh so I could literally do this to an interface?:

Interface 1: nameif stupid
Interface 2: nameif butt

and the config would be:

nat (stupid) 1 (IP ADDRESS)
global (butt) 1 (IP ADDRESS)

or does it have to be 'inside' and 'outside'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd

Bardlebee posted:

Oh so I could literally do this to an interface?:

Interface 1: nameif stupid
Interface 2: nameif butt

and the config would be:

nat (stupid) 1 (IP ADDRESS)
global (butt) 1 (IP ADDRESS)

or does it have to be 'inside' and 'outside'?

You can name it whatever you want, but I'm sure TAC gets great humor in going through a 'sh tech' where the interfaces are named 'fart' 'boobies' 'wiener' and 'lmao'.

The syntax is below:
nat (inside) 1 10.50.50.0 255.255.255.0 [10.50.50.0/24 entering the inside interface is tagged as 1)
nat (inside) 2 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 [anything entering the inside interface is tagged as statement 2]

If the route-table for those two statements above's destinations means that it will egress the outside interface then...

global (outside) 1 interface (anything matching tag 1 is then NAT'd to the outside interface's IP)
global (outside) 2 1.1.1.1 . You get the idea.

jbusbysack fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Sep 8, 2011