Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

What the gently caress is x-copying? Is it just more dumb fighting game terminology because "copying" isn't good enough?

Also I'm sure a lot of people pick lovely characters even knowing they're lovely just because they like them. Like me and Guy. Guy is cool but not very good, and I'm not even good enough to do play him at a great level, but you know what, whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

chumbler posted:

What the gently caress is x-copying?

Also I'm sure a lot of people pick lovely characters even knowing they're lovely just because they like them. Like me and Guy. Guy is cool but not very good, and I'm not even good enough to do play him at a great level, but you know what, whatever.

A reference to one of Twelve's super arts from SFIII, which is in turn a reference (probably) to the command 'xcopy' for file copying, etc.

People use it to refer to just copying/imitating someone's style or just trying to learn by playing 'like them'.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

chumbler posted:

What the gently caress is x-copying? Is it just more dumb fighting game terminology because "copying" isn't good enough?
It's just a joke based on one of Twelve's supers from 3S (X.C.O.P.Y)... lighten up dude

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

40 OZ posted:

This is the biggest thing wrong with your post, though. How is protecting yourself from narcissistic injury the Winning quotient here? I was positive the goal was to win the big monies and be evo champion.

As I said, Gamerbee is a fantastic player and thus avoids using the lovely character defense. I was trying to state that it exists in some fashion, intentionally or not. Plus, sometimes the goal isn't just winning. To use Noah as an example again, he got sponsored by Brokentier recently and has his own t-shirt line. I would claim that as a huge victory.

When fighting a lovely player who uses a lovely character for a lovely reason, it's incredibly common for them to chirp, "You only beat me because you spammed with Chun" or something to that effect. While some people use top tier characters as a kneejerk way to get "good" at a game, lovely players will use terrible characters as a kneejerk "honor system" that never stops working. You don't really see these in tournaments often because those players are terrible. Am I making any sense?

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

chumbler posted:

That is cool. Whatever makes you have the most fun, whatever that might entail! :)

I was careful to note that (some of) the top, sponsored players (like Daigo) are playing to win the tournament, period.

Broken Loose posted:

When fighting a lovely player who uses a lovely character for a lovely reason, it's incredibly common for them to chirp, "You only beat me because you spammed with Chun" or something to that effect. While some people use top tier characters as a kneejerk way to get "good" at a game, lovely players will use terrible characters as a kneejerk "honor system" that never stops working. You don't really see these in tournaments often because those players are terrible. Am I making any sense?

Yeah these people exist, I think that is pretty clear. Alot of people have narcissistic issues or ego problems and can't handle losing without having some kind of excuse or bargaining with themselves.

Broken Loose posted:

Plus, sometimes the goal isn't just winning. To use Noah as an example again, he got sponsored by Brokentier recently and has his own t-shirt line.

Yeah ask Marn how good of an idea that is

40 OZ fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Sep 1, 2011

40 OZ
May 16, 2003
edit- woops

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS
This thread is full of salty posters, don't be so free, just download some tech and get hype

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Why can't we talk about the fuckin Persona game or Skullgirls?!

Even though it's the BB team I'm not going to jump to conclusions, it might be fun. Depends on the speed and how the combos flow. Also it better not have 5 frame throws.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

Buhbuhj posted:

Even though it's the BB team I'm not going to jump to conclusions, it might be fun. Depends on the speed and how the combos flow. Also it better not have 5 frame throws.

My skill level in fighting games goes down exponentially as throws have more frames in them.

The inverse is sadly not automatically true though.

I really really want the Persona game to be good.

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS
Never even heard of Persona, guessing it's some kinda anime

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Captain Matchbox posted:

Never even heard of Persona, guessing it's some kinda anime
JRPG series.

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS

Endorph posted:

JRPG series.

Ah gotcha, no wonder I've never heard of it.

FossilFuelUser
May 8, 2004
Global Warming

40 OZ posted:

This all reminds me of the first 300 pages of the marvel thread where some smug random guy would come in a month after release and declare that everyone is just "sleeping on" Viper, X-23, or whatever acting like they are incredible visionaries that saw what nobody else saw.

They're right.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Buhbuhj posted:

Mori is not in charge of this game, according to Andriasang or whatever. He is the guy that said "Well we need a Goth Loli character because that's a trope" unironically.

I wonder who was in charge of HnK anyway? Who was the lead for all of Arc's fighting games?

Cinroth
Dec 11, 2008

Has it never occured
to you that this club
is overpopulated?
I'm thinking of buying a Qanba Q4RAF, anyone know a good place to order one from in Europe? There doesn't seem to be a place in Sweden that has them from what I have found. I found GremlinSolutions through a friend and I'm wondering if anybody has experience ordering from them? Also interested in hearing what people who own a Qanba Q4RAF think of the stick.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

I've ordered buttons from Gremlinsolutions and so have some of my friends, and we've never had any problems with it. It's a good store with fast delivery.

South Town guy
Jun 6, 2011
Is Hori's Fighting Commander 3 Pro for the PS3 any good?
(ideally I'd get a NeoGeo or Saturn style pad, but I'm considering joining in on an Amazon group purchase, couldn't find those there)

I know people here favor joysticks, but I don't do tournaments (often, anyway) seriously enough to justify a large investment in a mostly unfamiliar controller type. I'm fine with having something with the 6 buttons in the front, but a SF4 MadCatz pad I had before didn't last me more than a few months before it locked the D-pad in the down direction, making it unusable - it would be nice to get something with a similar shape and more durable, and Hori seems famous enough to deliver, but I'm unsure...

Svampson
Jul 29, 2006

Same.

Cinroth posted:

I'm thinking of buying a Qanba Q4RAF, anyone know a good place to order one from in Europe? There doesn't seem to be a place in Sweden that has them from what I have found. I found GremlinSolutions through a friend and I'm wondering if anybody has experience ordering from them? Also interested in hearing what people who own a Qanba Q4RAF think of the stick.

Ordered a bunch of stuff from GremlinSolutions to Sweden without a problem, if the items are in stock the shipment should arrive in 2-3 days :)

edit: Altough now I that I think about it I might've payed extra for courier delivery, so your mileage may vary

Svampson fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Sep 1, 2011

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

WOW what a grate sports paly by the 49rs (better than seahawks)

South Town guy posted:

(ideally I'd get a NeoGeo or Saturn style pad, but I'm considering joining in on an Amazon group purchase, couldn't find those there)

I know people here favor joysticks, but I don't do tournaments (often, anyway) seriously enough to justify a large investment in a mostly unfamiliar controller type. I'm fine with having something with the 6 buttons in the front, but a SF4 MadCatz pad I had before didn't last me more than a few months before it locked the D-pad in the down direction, making it unusable - it would be nice to get something with a similar shape and more durable, and Hori seems famous enough to deliver, but I'm unsure...
That's the pad I use. Seems to work okay.

e: Wait no I use the FC3, not the FC3 Pro. I can't vouch for the pro version, but presumably it's for pros.

Cinroth
Dec 11, 2008

Has it never occured
to you that this club
is overpopulated?

Svampson posted:

Ordered a bunch of stuff from GremlinSolutions to Sweden without a problem, if the items are in stock the shipment should arrive in 2-3 days :)

edit: Altough now I that I think about it I might've payed extra for courier delivery, so your mileage may vary

Do you remember how much the shipping went for when you ordered, as well as the courier delivery? I sent them a mail asking about the shipping cost but they haven't responded yet.

Svampson
Jul 29, 2006

Same.

Cinroth posted:

Do you remember how much the shipping went for when you ordered, as well as the courier delivery? I sent them a mail asking about the shipping cost but they haven't responded yet.
digged up the invoice, I paid for Courier service which amounted to
Postage/packing: £14.00

Also keep in mind that they charge you 20% VAT if you have it shipped to Sweden! (No sneaking past customs :()

Cinroth
Dec 11, 2008

Has it never occured
to you that this club
is overpopulated?

Svampson posted:

digged up the invoice, I paid for Courier service which amounted to
Postage/packing: £14.00

Also keep in mind that they charge you 20% VAT if you have it shipped to Sweden! (No sneaking past customs :()

Alright, thanks for the info! I'll probably place my order this week then. I'll just take the VAT blow in stride.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I got my Q4RAF from Gremlin, got it literally the day after it arrived in their offices!! I'm not sure if they're still doing the free gift promo, but I got a bonus plexi with mine for free.

South Town guy
Jun 6, 2011
Turns out the group purchase has to be through amazon.co.uk - in there I managed to find the Hori Arcade Fighting Stick - good enough to last?

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

No, that is honestly one of the worst arcade sticks of this generation

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I have one of those and don't have too many complaints about it, but I sure as gently caress wouldn't spend $75 on it. That's over twice what I paid for mine.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

South Town guy posted:

I just got mine today, and ignoring my clumsiness with it after using a DS3 for so long, it's a very nice controller. All the buttons and d-pad are nice and responsive, and it's got nearly 10 feet of cable, which is nice. The ability to angle the d-pad and change the d-pad's diagonal sensitivity is very good too.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Cat Machine posted:

No, that is honestly one of the worst arcade sticks of this generation

Relative to all the great ones, but it works fine and there are plenty of ones that are actually terrible

I've seen people show up to tourneys with sticks like this and they often paid 50$+ for them. the EX2 has basically no features but it does function just fine. I don't think its a good idea to buy one, though.

40 OZ fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Sep 2, 2011

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

It cost me an arm and a leg to get into this club!

Cinroth posted:

Goddamnit why do you have to do this. Why do you have to link this so I end up reading and why... w-why... gently caress... :negative:

*fake edit* goddamn that article is passive-aggressive as gently caress

*real edit*

That's it, I'm done. I'm done with the internet and I'm done with video games. Please come to my house and shoot me in the face and throw my computer in the bin. :suicide:

I really am embarrassed I still read Destructoid. :smith:

Kuai
May 25, 2004
It could be worse.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmeKY5L_NMI

50 Cent Bulletproof
Apr 17, 2007

STRAIGHT EDGE
KAWAII DESU
Here's these

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbQ4ArhrgkM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyoJAy-BNtU

And this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSBquKv_I58

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
The Cross Counter Lever bit will pretty much never get old.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
http://www.twitch.tv/toptiergaming

SKULLGIRLS STREAM, NEW BUILD, NEW CHARACTER SELECT SCREEN, GOGOGO

SpaceBees
Jul 12, 2008

It cost me an arm and a leg to get into this club!

Broken Loose posted:

Peacock really is the best character. Even her grab animation is great.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
This just in: Skullgirls has officially disabled the Home and Guide buttons while you're fighting.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Internet petitions :allears:

Zexerous
May 5, 2006

No Alibi. No Justice. No Dream. No Club.

Broken Loose posted:

of all the things I see Peacock drop, why doesn't she drop Audrey from Little Shop of Horrors? Seeing the fridge groan made me think of that.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Broken Loose posted:

So if I'm not mistaken (from what I heard on the stream), apparently you can patent the MvC2 button layout, which means Capcom can deny anyone the ability to make a game with that button layout.

:wtc:

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

PalmTreeFun posted:

So if I'm not mistaken (from what I heard on the stream), apparently you can patent the MvC2 button layout, which means Capcom can deny anyone the ability to make a game with that button layout.

:wtc:

Real talk? Dude's been spouting off on some poo poo that I can't really believe.

Like saying Tekken Tag 2 boards would cost $30,000.

I can't say I'm going to give much stock on his whining about a 'Capcom patent' messing with Skullgirls. Especially considering Mike Z wanted it to be 3P/3K.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -
So for those not watching the stream, official word is that Skullgirls streaming will be a weekly thing.

And it has the best character select music ever.

• Locked thread