Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Wahad posted:

Jeb last tweeted that the estimated date is Sept 8th.

6 days to enjoy yogbox because notch ruins everything.

I imagine this is going to seriously blow up most every mod, being that the changes seems so big.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Contemplating the suckiness of people since 1982
I'm calling it now.

8.1 within 4 hours of 8.0 and finishing on 8.5 within 3 days.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
notch just tweeted he's removing the fog toggle key (normally F) why he would do this, i've no idea. i use that often to make the game redraw itself if there's unloaded blocks of graphics or similar.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I constantly loving hit the key on accident, so I'm ok with the move.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Frobbe posted:

notch just tweeted he's removing the fog toggle key (normally F) why he would do this, i've no idea.

I'm betting that, with the new changes, pressing F was crashing the client / corrupting the world for some reason he couldn't understand.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Frobbe posted:

notch just tweeted he's removing the fog toggle key (normally F) why he would do this, i've no idea. i use that often to make the game redraw itself if there's unloaded blocks of graphics or similar.

You can still do it. You'll just have to do it from the menu. Having a graphic option bound to a (prominent) key like F is silly anyways.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Cygni posted:

I constantly loving hit the key on accident, so I'm ok with the move.

I changed it to ] or something so I wouldn't keep hitting it during play.

Priapus Unbound
Aug 28, 2011

Frobbe posted:

People with slower computers can also hit the F key really fast and spot torches through walls. This makes almost every PvP server pointless because it's impossible to hide anything safely unless it's hidden in a completely dark room with a half block floor to prevent mobs from spawning.

Although X-Ray packs still exist and they make PvP too frustrating to bother with. I buried one diamond in a chest in the middle of a gravel beach on a server that ostensibly banned x-ray users and came back half an hour later to find it gone. I love me some paranoid treasure defenses, but what's the point when thieves can just see through walls?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Frobbe posted:

that sucks. I get like 10 fps for some stupid reason at no fog, so I leave it turned up high but lower it if I need to see far away. Plus whenever I toggle fog, the fps goes way up for a short while, so I use it a lot. I have a feeling he'll put it back due to people complaining about it.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Schweinhund posted:

that sucks. I get like 10 fps for some stupid reason at no fog, so I leave it turned up high but lower it if I need to see far away. Plus whenever I toggle fog, the fps goes way up for a short while, so I use it a lot. I have a feeling he'll put it back due to people complaining about it.

On the other hand, the game is supposed to be better optimized in 1.8, sooo

To be honest, going "I need the fog key in because my computer is incapable of running it without me constantly reloading the graphics every five seconds!!!" is kind of stupid. It's not like he's removing a feature or something. Your computer just sucks.

Crumpet
Apr 22, 2008

Schweinhund posted:

He said that he's removing the fog toggle key, not removing the option to toggle fog entirely. You can still do it from the in game menu (takes all of what, 10 seconds?).

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Zorak posted:

It's not like he's removing a feature or something. Your computer just sucks.

That's kind of his point? He has an effective use of the feature because his computer sucks, and I'm not trying to preach that he should keep the button because this and this and white knighting blah blah or anything, but calling the guy's playstyle stupid because he does something you don't just makes you look like a jerk. Now instead of being able to do it on the fly he'll have to do it manually from the pause menu, which slows down his gameplay considerably if he decides to keep using the method after it's been obsoleted.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Sep 2, 2011

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Zorak posted:

On the other hand, the game is supposed to be better optimized in 1.8, sooo

To be honest, going "I need the fog key in because my computer is incapable of running it without me constantly reloading the graphics every five seconds!!!" is kind of stupid. It's not like he's removing a feature or something. Your computer just sucks.

Well I realize my situation is an extreme example. But I'm sure other people with slower computers find it useful too. And my computer ran the game fine on XP. Minecraft just went to shite as soon as I "upgraded" to Windows 7.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

CJacobs posted:

That's kind of his point? He has an effective use of the feature because his computer sucks, and I'm not trying to preach that he should keep the button because this and this and white knighting blah blah or anything, but calling the guy's playstyle stupid because he does something you don't just makes you look like a jerk. Now instead of being able to do it on the fly he'll have to do it manually from the pause menu, which slows down his gameplay considerably if he decides to keep using the method after it's been obsoleted.

Except... no one in reasonable circumstances needs to do it. Like if Notch keymapped to the letter "T" the ability to restart entire game; I'm sure this would be a Key Thing Useful To Some People due to some dumb circumstances, but it doesn't mean it's really that necessary or a "key gameplay feature" that, being moved to the control panel, would actually matter other than for people with fringe computer problems.

Presumably he moved it off of F so he can use the key for something other people may actually find useful, perhaps some kind of gameplay feature. Even still, it was kind of an annoying placement for the key anyway!

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Zorak posted:

Except... no one in reasonable circumstances needs to do it. Like if Notch keymapped to the letter "T" the ability to restart entire game; I'm sure this would be a Key Thing Useful To Some People due to some dumb circumstances, but it doesn't mean it's really that necessary or a "key gameplay feature" that, being moved to the control panel, would actually matter other than for people with fringe computer problems.

Presumably he moved it off of F so he can use the key for something other people may actually find useful, perhaps some kind of gameplay feature. Even still, it was kind of an annoying placement for the key anyway!

actually i've had a quite reasonable use for it, as do many others whenever graphics doesn't load when a chunk loads, or when you're flying fast.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Frobbe posted:

actually i've had a quite reasonable use for it, as do many others whenever graphics doesn't load when a chunk loads, or when you're flying fast.

... and that was only necessary due to optimization problems which are (supposedly) resolved this update. It was there for debug purposes in the first place I presume, and if that issue has been resolved somehow, wouldn't that remove the necessity of the key?

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

He should remove the "f3 = see all monster tags" debug key while he's at it.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

fondue posted:

I really hope he doesn't remove this feature. It's the only way I can see monsters because I can't hear them. This game is not very deaf-friendly (or for those who can't/don't play with speakers) and I'll be damned if a mob kills me/knocks me off my building/pushes me into lava because I can't hear them coming or attacking. Besides, my heart can only take so many jump-out-of-my-skin episodes caused by a suddenly-appearing monster.

Call me a dirty rotten cheater if you must, but leave me my F3. :colbert:

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

fondue posted:

I always feel ashamed when I cheat like that.
I just hate being in a cave and hearing close moaning and seeing nothing. :(

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

daggerdragon posted:

I really hope he doesn't remove this feature. It's the only way I can see monsters because I can't hear them. This game is not very deaf-friendly (or for those who can't/don't play with speakers) and I'll be damned if a mob kills me/knocks me off my building/pushes me into lava because I can't hear them coming or attacking. Besides, my heart can only take so many jump-out-of-my-skin episodes caused by a suddenly-appearing monster.

Call me a dirty rotten cheater if you must, but leave me my F3. :colbert:

There are lots of games where no sound = surprise death. Even with sound, creepers can still get in your zone unless you're completely paranoid.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

EightBit posted:

There are lots of games where no sound = surprise death. Even with sound, creepers can still get in your zone unless you're completely paranoid.

I don't play those games, obviously. Minecraft is a good balance, and F3 makes it easier for me. Creepers still get me even when my areas are well lit for a good distance, though, and my hearing friends tell me that they can't hear creepers until it's too late anyway, so it's not like I can do much about it. I just try not to go cave spelunking too much, and when I do, I always carry stacks of torches and a bow with plenty of arrows. Different strokes for different folks.

Paranoia in Minecraft is good. They really are out to get you!

Mofeta
Sep 25, 2007
I guess I'll have to start a new world for 1.8, but I wanted to show off my version of Guedelon Castle.

The interiors are mostly empty, but it's got a working porticulis operable from the gatehouse, and spiral staircases hidden inside the tower walls, just like the real thing :3:

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh
So I have an asus 1215b netbook. Minecraft runs decently on it but I wanted to install optifine. The problem is when I install optifine and launch my game, after I log in I just get stuck at a black screen. Any ideas?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Senator Woofington posted:

So I have an asus 1215b netbook. Minecraft runs decently on it but I wanted to install optifine. The problem is when I install optifine and launch my game, after I log in I just get stuck at a black screen. Any ideas?

Having this problem too on my notebook...

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Senator Woofington posted:

1. did you delete the META-INF folder from within the minecraft.jar?
2. are you using the classic optifine, or multithreaded? I've had issues with the multithreaded version.

The latest optifine makes minecraft run acceptably on my eee pc 1001px

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh

ZShakespeare posted:

1. did you delete the META-INF folder from within the minecraft.jar?
2. are you using the classic optifine, or multithreaded? I've had issues with the multithreaded version.

The latest optifine makes minecraft run acceptably on my eee pc 1001px

Thank you that did it! (deleting meta-inf)

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Notch tweeted this one a while ago:

Piggy Snouts!

Also, what the heck are those green helices in the background? I don't think they're sugar cane.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Looks like some more flat biome shots, too. Looks fantastic.

Danyull
Jan 16, 2011

Still trying to find a good mapping program before I send off the map to the next person, any suggestions?

King Hotpants
Apr 11, 2005

Clint.
Fucking.
Eastwood.

Danyull posted:

Still trying to find a good mapping program before I send off the map to the next person, any suggestions?

Try Overviewer. Do you know your way around a command line?

moondust
Feb 3, 2011

Mo' Problems
"Two new things I just finished up:"

Dammit, Notch, you speak in riddles. All I see is an opened che- :swoon:

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax

Wahad posted:

Jeb last tweeted that the estimated date is Sept 8th.

Aw crap, I better finish this loving map this weekend if I can. Good thing I have it... 80% done?

It's hard trying to pick good shots to take for impressing, while not giving away any of The Good Stuff.

Hopefully I send out 1.7 in style and infuriate as many people as possible. With puzzles.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

A Sassy Dog posted:

Nice latch on that chest. Lockable as well as openable?

whatPanache
Mar 7, 2008

A Sassy Dog posted:

Okay, I'll bite. What's different besides the chest? Is it something with the fog. I don't understand :(

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Coloured clouds, maybe? The clouds near the sunrise/set look redder.

Dawts
Oct 3, 2009

qxan posted:

Okay, I'll bite. What's different besides the chest? Is it something with the fog. I don't understand :(

I think it's one of those.

I don't see anything, oh my god mid-sentence my brain just registered that the chest was open and I'm dumbfounded.

Edit: Nevermind, I didn't realize the post said 2 things. If I had to guess I'd say it was the clouds.

Dawts fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Sep 2, 2011

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I'm pretty sure there are tumbleweeds in that screenshot guys. Pretty sure that's new.

Unless they already announced some kind of sand-growing desert tree and I missed that.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Yeah, I'm seeing creosote bush and an actually vast desert. Now all we need is for deserts to mysteriously expand when you try to cross them. And guns.

Edit: I'm hungry ok \/\/ :v:

EightBit fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Sep 2, 2011

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

EightBit posted:

Now all we need is for desserts to mysteriously expand when you try to cross them.

This sounds delicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Zorak posted:

I'm pretty sure there are tumbleweeds in that screenshot guys. Pretty sure that's new.

Unless they already announced some kind of sand-growing desert tree and I missed that.

Those desert shrubs? They are in the game right now...