Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Don't Be Afraid of the Dark is a pile of garbage. That is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot_Rumpus
Apr 4, 2004

Technetium posted:

It ended up feeling like a 4 hour bad gremlins remake.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Technetium posted:

I don't know if I'd go that far, but I'll definitely say that I was underwhelmed. It was well shot and all, but the antagonists weren't particularly scary (to me, at least) and the characters just continued to do dumb poo poo repeatedly. All in all, I'd watch it again, after it came out on dvd, but I'm not going to go out of my way to see it.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Robot_Rumpus posted:

It ended up feeling like a 4 hour bad gremlins remake.

I specifically said that about forty five minutes in and how I wanted to watch gremlins instead.

I was also reminded of The Gate a lot because of the creature design. I also want to watch that now because it is a thousand times better.

XIII posted:

I don't know if I'd go that far, but I'll definitely say that I was underwhelmed. It was well shot and all, but the antagonists weren't particularly scary (to me, at least) and the characters just continued to do dumb poo poo repeatedly. All in all, I'd watch it again, after it came out on dvd, but I'm not going to go out of my way to see it.

It was bland, not scary, terribly acted and even the direction wasn't that fantastic. The set looked impressive but it was never shown enough I guess. I went in expecting something decent despite the reviews because of Del Toro and ended up wasting six bucks (cheap night). I like Insidious more which probably isn't saying much to a lot of the posters here but I hated that movie too, but at least it had scary parts. This was just a joke. Another bland hollywood remake with B-list actors and a one-time director.

On a side note I started watching Never Sleep Again and it's absolutely fantastic, holy poo poo.

Technetium fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Sep 1, 2011

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Yeah, we saw it on $5 ticket night. I'd say it was worth that, but would NOT be worth full price.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Technetium posted:

I was also reminded of The Gate a lot because of the creature design. I also want to watch that now because it is a thousand times better.

This is the reason why I wanted to see it, though I kinda liked it. I can understand why people won't. But when I was a kid The Gate and Ghoulies loving TERRIFIED me with tiny monsters :ohdear:

Edit: Oh god, I forgot Critters.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I am totally curious how they'll handle The Gate remake.

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

I've seen a lot of people talking about Never Sleep Again and am interested but 240 minutes seems incredibly long for a documentary on this subject. So just figuring from stereotype, are there montages that last forever and fluff subjects being covered for an hour ? (Fluff meaning a talking head going on and on about how difficult it was to get the right lighting or long interviews with the foley artist. This may not be fluff to some, this is my subjective opinion.)

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Mouser.. posted:

I've seen a lot of people talking about Never Sleep Again and am interested but 240 minutes seems incredibly long for a documentary on this subject. So just figuring from stereotype, are there montages that last forever and fluff subjects being covered for an hour ? (Fluff meaning a talking head going on and on about how difficult it was to get the right lighting or long interviews with the foley artist. This may not be fluff to some, this is my subjective opinion.)

At no point is it boring. They've got, what, 7 movies to go through? So it all keeps moving at a steady pace.

E.G.G.S.
Apr 15, 2006

Mouser.. posted:

It's actually pretty light on the fluff given the run time, I found most of it fun to watch, especially the stuff on part 2 and Renny Harlin.

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

Dissapointed Owl posted:

At no point is it boring. They've got, what, 7 movies to go through? So it all keeps moving at a steady pace.

Safe Driver posted:

It's actually pretty light on the fluff given the run time, I found most of it fun to watch, especially the stuff on part 2 and Renny Harlin.

Thank you very much, that's what I needed to know. I'll check it out.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
While I think Never Sleep Again is a wonderful journey from start to finish, I will say that it's worth it to see everyone's impressions of Renny Harlin. Holy poo poo, that's hilarious.

Also: Renny blaming absolutely EVERYTHING on Bob Shaye.

TheBigBudgetSequel fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Sep 1, 2011

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I was gonna check out Never Sleep Again, even though I haven't seen them all (or any of them recently), and I was planning to marathon them. Would it be better if I watched them all before or afterwards?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Coffee And Pie posted:

I was gonna check out Never Sleep Again, even though I haven't seen them all (or any of them recently), and I was planning to marathon them. Would it be better if I watched them all before or afterwards?

Definitely before.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

I don't really like the Nightmare films, but I watched the first hour or so of that documentary to get the stories behind that ridiculous second movie, and it was just terrific. There's a little bit where they're talking about one failed scene, and how it probably failed because they "hired a man who worked on the Three Stooges."

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

I am gonna gauge some interest. I am thinking of doing a retrospective look at the Nightmare series (every single entry, even Vs. Jason and the Remake) for the forums. It would be similar to what I did in the Harry Potter thread before the new movie came out, only a bit more in depth. Would people be interested in that kind of a thread?

StickySweater
Feb 7, 2008
Sounds like a worthwhile thread. Post a link in here. I (and I suspect others) don't always monitor Cinema Discusso regularly, but I do monitor this thread.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I am gonna gauge some interest. I am thinking of doing a retrospective look at the Nightmare series (every single entry, even Vs. Jason and the Remake) for the forums. It would be similar to what I did in the Harry Potter thread before the new movie came out, only a bit more in depth. Would people be interested in that kind of a thread?

Absolutely.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Thirding interest in said thread

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3434824

Thread Posted. It's just an introductory OP for now. I'll have the first film done tomorrow.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I am totally curious how they'll handle The Gate remake.

There probably won't be stop motion and it'll probably suck. :(

Like The Thing prequel.

And after watching Never Sleep Again I'm pretty sure I'm going to run through all the NoES movies because they're awesome. Even number six.

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?
Been reading Apollo 18 is awful.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
Anyone know anything about an American release for Kill List? I think it opens in the UK this weekend. I really want to see it.

WhatAliceFoundThere
Jul 18, 2007
Dressed like a victorian at a swimming pool

Slasherfan posted:

I'd call it more mediocre than awful, still not really worth it. If I had to pay to see it in the cinema I wouldn't.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
Man gently caress you guys for recommending Never Sleep Again. I'd been planning a pizza and movie night for when I finally had some free time to myself and now all I've done is sit glued to a 3.5 hour long documentary all night!

(It was awesome.)

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

Slasherfan posted:

I've seen that too but there's one thing there everyone keeps writing that I can't get out of my mind that I need to see. Although I'm sure it's not hilariously bad like I would hope

Pajiba posted:

The moon is covered in spider rocks. The rocks have legs. There are rocks, and they crawl around. On the moon. With legs. Attached to the rocks. That allow the rocks to skitter about. Like rocks with legs are wont to do.

That something is rocks. With legs. That crawl around and are apparently capable of getting inside of space suits, biting astronauts, and burrowing beneath the skin. The science on this makes perfect sense, actually. Rocks don’t need an atmosphere to survive, so the moon is a perfect environment. Right? What about the legs? And the biting and burrowing, despite a lack of teeth? Oh, that’s just rock evolution, dummy. Survival of the fittest! Clearly, over millions of years, the rocks with legs simply won out through natural selection. Obviously.How could rocks without legs survive against rocks with legs?

Mouser.. fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Sep 2, 2011

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3434824

Thread Posted. It's just an introductory OP for now. I'll have the first film done tomorrow.

Looking forward to this!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Technetium posted:

There probably won't be stop motion and it'll probably suck. :(

What makes the Gate good is not just the effects - obviously stop motion puppetry has a lot of character, but that's not the main draw of the movie. The Gate rules because it's paced very, very well, especially for a movie that starts off looking very cheap and lame.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Just saw Quarantine 2: Terminal because I didn't know it existed.

Please don't watch it. I mean, the warning signs are there:
1) You never heard of it
2) It's a 'sequel' to the not terrible but completely unnecessary remake of REC
3) It ditches the whole first person angle.

This was an incredibly bland movie that had no need to be. It has some flimsy connection to the first Quarantine but whatever.

If you come across it, don't get curious. Whatever you can come up with when hearing "Quarantine in an airport baggage area" is a guaranteed better story than this.

Now I'm going to watch Paranormal Activity 2: Tokyo Night because I never learn.

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

What makes the Gate good is not just the effects - obviously stop motion puppetry has a lot of character, but that's not the main draw of the movie. The Gate rules because it's paced very, very well, especially for a movie that starts off looking very cheap and lame.

And the remake will not realize that and have mediocre to bad CGI and won't be as funny, scary or 80s as The Gate was. I honestly love The Gate, it still creeps me out. The stop-motion really adds to the otherwordliness of the creatures and I might be misremembering it but I think it was done really well, especially at the end.

Quarantine 2 is a good movie to drink to and laugh at. Which is what I did. And you said it perfect, the plot sounds awesome (people land in an airport that's run over by infected people? awesome!) and it just ends up as the lamest low-budget attempt they could've mustered.

Can't wait to see Apollo 18 for six bucks.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

foodfight posted:

Anyone know anything about an American release for Kill List? I think it opens in the UK this weekend. I really want to see it.

It did indeed open on the weekend here in the U.K., and by golly, it is a movie to watch. Good acting, fantastice score and basically acts like a Hammer Horror film on steroids.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Now I'm going to watch Paranormal Activity 2: Tokyo Night because I never learn.

Just in case anybody was wondering, this was... surprisingly good. Way better than the actual Paranormal Activity 2. Although it does retread a lot from the first Paranormal Activity.

Definitely worth checking out if you liked the PA movies. Hell, this one has a better and more interesting (little) backstory that ties back to the first PA than PA2 did.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

I just saw Apollo 18. It's pretty "meh", a middle of the road found footage sci-fi/horror movie.

I don't regret going to see it, but I see it as more of a "watch on DVD/cable" thing. It just kind of feels like they could have done more with a decent premise.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

I just realized youtube has the hilarious news footage special feature from the 2004 Dawn of the Dead DVD. If anyone hasn't seen it, you really should watch it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV4Ek4mZNsg
"She's the hottest girl in school!"

WhatAliceFoundThere
Jul 18, 2007
Dressed like a victorian at a swimming pool

Zwabu posted:

I just saw Apollo 18. It's pretty "meh", a middle of the road found footage sci-fi/horror movie.

I don't regret going to see it, but I see it as more of a "watch on DVD/cable" thing. It just kind of feels like they could have done more with a decent premise.

My feelings exactly, if I didn't work in a cinema and get to see films for free I wouldn't have bothered until it hit DVD and I know I wouldn't have felt like I missed out.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Just in case anybody was wondering, this was... surprisingly good. Way better than the actual Paranormal Activity 2. Although it does retread a lot from the first Paranormal Activity.

Definitely worth checking out if you liked the PA movies. Hell, this one has a better and more interesting (little) backstory that ties back to the first PA than PA2 did.

How/ where did you see it?

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009

Samovar posted:

It did indeed open on the weekend here in the U.K., and by golly, it is a movie to watch. Good acting, fantastice score and basically acts like a Hammer Horror film on steroids.

Awesome!

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

The Gate will always gently caress my poo poo up for being one of those movies I happened to flip on once when I was channel surfing as a kid, and the main kid runs outside to hug his parents and his dad's face started melting off, and I was just too young to have any way to process that sort of thing happening. That doesn't happen in movies. Your parent's face can't just melt off.

Can it? .......

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Or the part where Terry's dead mom comes through the front door, he hugs her and it turns out he's hugging the dead dog.

This part always freaked me out as a kid.

It's one of those "kitchen sink" horror films that's always enjoyable to watch (like the recent Insidious) because usually, horror films only bother with a few elements in order to avoid looking silly. This goes for basically all of them, but somehow doesn't come off like Monster Squad, i.e. fun to watch as a kid but not even slightly scary.

Those little goblin puppets are astonishly convincing in some scenes, too, even watching it today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
The Gate II is worth a watch just for the pure insanity of it.