Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
The Slime Wizard's Tower

This is a short adventure map I made wherein you break into a wizard's tower. Wizards are arses so this is a pretty dangerous thing in and of itself even without the horrible things going on within its walls. However, it's also meant to be played on Peaceful (I can't remember seeing any Peaceful maps, at least not on SA), so if you die it won't be to mere monsters.

There's a catch, though, in that you need the Amazopack and hogofwar's Peaceful Pack for it to work. Most of the latter's mods are in the former pack except for, annoyingly, the slime pool blocks seen in the third picture. The included mods are all pretty low-key, so overall the map doesn't work particularly differently from vanilla maps. It also uses map notes, but that's not a mod. If you have mods but don't know how to get a fresh .jar file, just move your current one elsewhere, open the minecraft loader and force an update to download the current version again.

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/?f1ubqo2jw9quyow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt006
Apr 28, 2008
I'm going with:

thing 1) Chest lid
thing 2) Chest bottom

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

toggle posted:

So here it is, after 5 months and recovering from a corrupted save I've finally finished this prick of a map.

It's called the The Return and will be my last adventure map. 4eva

Here is a wanky trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOKR-V3tBpY

And some pictures:

If you haven't played my previous 2 maps (as the story in this one continues on from the last 2) I urge you do to so before playing this one.

Wizard Burgmund: http://www.mediafire.com/?7u1p4ynbp7gg3g4
Tree of Life: http://www.mediafire.com/?i1n9oi1f4k4x131

Readme stuff:
If you are going to be playing this map on a multiplayer server, please make sure that it is set up to use the Nether.

This time around there are no notes to read - instead ingame maps replace these notes.

Play time should take 60 mins (or there abouts)

Can be played with 1-2 players

Download here: http://www.mediafire.com/?3gqu7x80ujimgui

Also, you might notice a sapling and some bone marrow in your inventory when you begin the game. DO NOT REMOVE THESE ITEMS - they are part of the story!

I just played through this, and it was awesome. Great work, toggle! :)

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

FirePhoenix posted:

Notch tweeted this one a while ago:

Oh delicious. A swamp that looks like a swamp.

A Sassy Dog posted:

"Two new things I just finished up:"

Dammit, Notch, you speak in riddles. All I see is an opened che- :swoon:
Seriously, what's the second thing?

Rabidsamba
Sep 1, 2011

A Sassy Dog posted:

"Two new things I just finished up:"

Dammit, Notch, you speak in riddles. All I see is an opened che- :swoon:

I'm thinking maybe the second thing is the latch itself. It seems like Notch is just showing off little aesthetic changes what with the pig snouts so I doubt it's anything too ridiculous.

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008
Can someone explain to me what the difference is with Alpha vs Beta codes, with regards to game updates?

Edit: I bought the game in early beta, but I don't think I was ever given a code, so what is it talking about? I just signed up and then signed in on the Minecraft Launcher.

Devoyniche fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Sep 2, 2011

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Vib Rib posted:

Desert shrubs?

Devoyniche posted:

Can someone explain to me what the difference is with Alpha vs Beta codes, with regards to game updates?
Alpha = fee dlc + cheaper game
Beta = cheaper game.
Release = game

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

Unless I'm looking waaaaaaay to hard I think it's quicksand. Lookc right next to the chest and you can see a different textured sand.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
I think the second thing is the orange lighting on the horizon. I don't remember him mentioning that before. Normally the sand in the back would be the same color as the sand up front.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

ThndrShk2k posted:

Desert shrubs?
Those are already in the game.

Retro42 posted:

Unless I'm looking waaaaaaay to hard I think it's quicksand. Lookc right next to the chest and you can see a different textured sand.
If you mean the stuff all the way on the right, I think that's just dirt.

Schweinhund posted:

I think the second thing is the orange lighting on the horizon. I don't remember him mentioning that before. Normally the sand in the back would be the same color as the sand up front.
I think that's just the fog.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 2, 2011

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

Those are already in the game.

If you mean the stuff all the way on the right, I think that's just dirt.

Look just to the left of the chest. The block right next to it in fact.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Retro42 posted:

Look just to the left of the chest. The block right next to it in fact.

Edit: Nevermind. I think that is a block of sand in his hand actually.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Retro42 posted:

There is something with a different texture to the left of the chest. I think that's sandstone though. I could be wrong though, I haven't used the original textures in forever.

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.
I'm pretty sure that's just a close up of sand, like the edge of a block he's standing next to.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

toggle posted:

So here it is, after 5 months and recovering from a corrupted save I've finally finished this prick of a map.

It's called the The Return and will be my last adventure map. 4eva

This is pretty neat right up until the platforming segment over lava, and then I deleted it.

Also, residence, not residents.

Dr Slouch
May 8, 2008
From Minecraft Wiki:
"In Beta 1.8, Chests will have an opening animation. Chests will also no longer be forced to face west when placed independently of other blocks."

Vinigre
Feb 18, 2011

Prepare your bladder for imminent release!

Dr Slouch posted:

From Minecraft Wiki:
"In Beta 1.8, Chests will have an opening animation. Chests will also no longer be forced to face west when placed independently of other blocks."

Ah, hence why the screenshot was taken at sunset!

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

pseudorandom name posted:

This is pretty neat right up until the platforming segment over lava, and then I deleted it.

Also, residence, not residents.

That's fair enough.

Just updated it so there is no longer any delete worthy platforming over lava segments if anyone is interested. HERE

toggle fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Sep 3, 2011

Devoyniche
Dec 21, 2008

ThndrShk2k posted:

Desert shrubs?

Alpha = fee dlc + cheaper game
Beta = cheaper game.
Release = game

Has it been announced how much DLC will be? Is it going to be like $10 for a 1.9 update (with dogs!) or something?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

toggle posted:

That's fair enough.

Well, I did fall in the lava, die, and lose the apparently important sapling and bone meal first.

Also, the minecarts after the obsidian mine right before Castle Bergmund were half-way down the tracks instead of at their launch point. I thought I was expected to bring the cart I found in the chest with me.

Oh, and was I supposed to put the TNT on top of the red wool block to destroy the gravel? I ended up putting it on top of the gravel stack, which knocked the ladder of the wall and permanently destroyed one ladder segment, forcing me to place a block so I could rebuild a high enough ladder to get out.

pseudorandom name fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Sep 2, 2011

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Devoyniche posted:

Has it been announced how much DLC will be? Is it going to be like $10 for a 1.9 update (with dogs!) or something?

They haven't even announced the existence of any DLC yet. Their lawyers just told them to take the "All future updates for free" part out of the list of what you get when they launched the beta.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Veotax posted:

They haven't even announced the existence of any DLC yet. Their lawyers just told them to take the "All future updates for free" part out of the list of what you get when they launched the beta.

So for those of us who bought Minecraft when it was Alpha, does that mean all future updates are free for us?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Vinigre posted:

Ah, hence why the screenshot was taken at sunset!

doesn't the sun rise in the north and set in the south? or why do all maps orient towards the east?

Orient!
East!
That's a joke, son

Yoya
Nov 6, 2009

I already bought the chicken

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

So for those of us who bought Minecraft when it was Alpha, does that mean all future updates are free for us?

Yes.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Well, I did fall in the lava, die, and lose the apparently important sapling and bone meal first.

Also, the minecarts after the obsidian mine right before Castle Bergmund were half-way down the tracks instead of at their launch point. I thought I was expected to bring the cart I found in the chest with me.

That's...weird. I don't know what's going on there.

Oh, and was I supposed to put the TNT on top of the red wool block to destroy the gravel? I ended up putting it on top of the gravel stack, which knocked the ladder of the wall and permanently destroyed one ladder segment, forcing me to place a block so I could rebuild a high enough ladder to get out.

Updated version now has signage. But yeah, it's meant to go in the wool hole.

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

I've misunderstood what a lion is.

Grimey Drawer

Krinkle posted:

doesn't the sun rise in the north and set in the south? or why do all maps orient towards the east?

Orient!
East!
That's a joke, son

Thank you for making my day.

There's something weird about the map orientation; if you're holding a map in-game the top (logically north) is actually East, so the sun would rise in the north and set in the south. I don't know how or why that is.

When I play, I still refer to directions based on sun and moon rise/set, regardless of what the map says.

edit - Apparently, it's just "because they said so". From the wiki:

quote:

It is commonly said that Minecraft maps are oriented with East at the top. It is certainly true that they are oriented with the direction of sunrise at the top, which is, by definition, East. However, Jeb has asserted (and Notch agreed) that in Minecraft the Sun rises in the North. Most mods and map-making tools, however, use the terms East and North consistent with their actual definitions (e.g. a Cartographer generated map with North at the top will be rotated 90 degrees from the in-game map).

Rack fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Sep 3, 2011

Vinigre
Feb 18, 2011

Prepare your bladder for imminent release!
Well, if he's going to make old worlds essentially useless in 1.8, he may as well rotate the skybox to make it less ambiguous.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Mofeta posted:

I guess I'll have to start a new world for 1.8, but I wanted to show off my version of Guedelon Castle.

What texture pack is this? I've been looking for something with that kind of stone brick look.

Infected Mushroom
Nov 4, 2009

mrpwase posted:

What texture pack is this? I've been looking for something with that kind of stone brick look.

That's SMP's texture pack, it owns.

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

Bro and Maplehoof: Go beyond the impossible!
:kamina:
Didn't see this posted. In response to: "@jeb_ Will we ever see dynamic torch light like in Terraria?"

jeb_ posted:

@CaptureCraft Only if you mod it, most likely

I'm a little disappointed, but a little relieved since the dynamic light mod tanked my FPS. Would have been nice for adventure maps though.

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008

Image provided by IAmCorbin

So, big events over at WilsonSMP, we've capped our forty slot server over the past two days as we begin our week long End Of The World event in preparation of resetting the server for 1.8. It has been an absolute blast and we hope that things keep going as well as they have.

Decided to share some of the highlights of the event.

User Fiblah has compiled video of last nights event (Day 1) for us:

Fiblah posted:

End of the World Part 1: Defense of Ironpool
End of the World Part 2: Defending Osiris
End of the World Part 3: Battle in the Arena

I recorded over 1 hour and 45 minutes of footage last night, 152 gb of raw video. It was hard to condense it down to just 3 videos, but I think I got most of the highlights of the night. Unfortunately I wasn't picked to go on the mission back into Ironpool, so I didn't get any video of that.

The last few pages of the thread have tons of compiled pictures and timelines to check out as well.

Fistful of Silence
Aug 22, 2003

Science fiction writers, I am sorry to say, really do not know anything. We can't talk about science, because our knowledge of it is limited and unofficial, and usually our fiction is dreadful.

Grimey Drawer

Vib Rib posted:

Notch posted:

Swamp biome, CREATE: http://imgur.com/9OFLd?full
(just now on Twitter)

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

All it needs is a non-solid block of transparent swamp grass over the water :(

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I'd really like for there to be sand in more places. Sand deposits are actually quite common in real world caves and can be very hazardous for miners. Sure we have gravel in cave systems but there should be sand there too.

Senator Woofington
Aug 1, 2009

by Ozmaugh

lenocinor posted:

(just now on Twitter)

Would be better if they tinged the water too.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

lenocinor posted:

(just now on Twitter)

Excuse me, that is not a swamp. Swamps do not have trees (that big).

Fake-edit: oh, I guess he was going for something like

I was thinking more of something like

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Amppelix posted:

I was thinking more of something like

That's a marsh. Or at least, I'm not totally sure on the difference, but I think the first picture is a swamp the second, a marsh.

I love the heck out of vines, and they're going to make a wonderful decorative addition to my buildings, but I'm not too impressed with the swamp... It'll probably look better with a low view distance (fog), though.

Seizureman
Dec 27, 2009

FABULOUS
I'd like to see a swamp block added. One that functions as a water source block, but can be walked on with reduced movespeed. Also, mangroves that grow on swamp next to water and spread as time passes.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Seizureman posted:

I'd like to see a swamp block added. One that functions as a water source block, but can be walked on with reduced movespeed. Also, mangroves that grow on swamp next to water and spread as time passes.

Yeah, it's not really a swamp if you can just walk/swim through unimpeded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sefiros
Mar 16, 2006

go radish go
I made a thing.