Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakri
Dec 15, 2010

Drewjitsu posted:

Hopefully it doesn't over-write the feats we've fixed (like two-weapon defense).

It may be possible that any updates done between my two short description revisions were over-written. Namely these:

Updated 25-August-2011: Added Shielding Word reminder to Healing Word power card.
Updated 25-August-2011: Updated Mounted Combat Feat
Updated 27-August-2011: Updated Two-Weapon Defence Feat - now adds AC and REF to the character sheet.

Would be worth checking out and redoing them if necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakri
Dec 15, 2010
I noticed that cleric.part also contains feats Pacifist Healer and Beatific Healer, and they override the new short descriptions for them in feats.part. Is there a good reason why the same rules element can be found in different part files? I think a specific rules element should be included in only one part-file to prevent this kind of problem.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Two-weapon defense is now fixed. Mounted combat has seemed to dissappared, someone should look into that. It looks like shielding word is okay, but I'm not so sure, due to TWD being borked.

Anyway:

Changes to Parts:
Cleric.part
removed beatific healer and pacifist healer and moved them to feats.part (like they should be)

Feats.part
added beatific healer and pacifist healer, fixed TWD.

Koranak
Aug 5, 2011
Based on dragon 402's complete failure of a weapliment expertise article, I'm finding myself in need of creating a houseruled version of Versatile Expertise. However, I'm a little stumped as to how to proceed. I can't seem to find Versatile Expertise in any of the .part files, and when looking at "Versatile Expertise II" from feats.part, I can't see anything to edit to make the bonuses kick in at levels 11 and 21 instead of 15 and 25. I'm left wondering if this is one of those cases where the original developers did some magic behind the scenes to make it work....

Mind you I am by no means experienced at modifying this stuff, so I may just be missing something.

Can any one point me in the right direction?

Tivaan
Jul 13, 2011
Re-added Mounted combat fix and verified other fixes are still correct and in file

Here are the original files

<RulesElement name="Mounted Combat" type="Feat" internal-id="ID_FMP_FEAT_30" source="Player's Handbook" revision-date="8/27/2010 12:17:49 PM" >
<specific name="Tier"> Heroic </specific>
<specific name="Short Description"> Gain access to the special abilities of your mount; mount can use your skill bonus in Athletics, Acrobatics, Endurance, Stealth </specific>
<specific name="Special" />
<specific name="type" />
<specific name="Associated Power Info" />
<specific name="Associated Powers" />
When you ride a creature, you gain access to any special mount abilities it confers to its rider. Not every creature has these abilities. The Dungeon Master's Guide has more information on mounts and mounted combat.
While you are riding a creature, it does not take the normal -2 penalty to attack rolls that is imposed on mounts. In addition, the creature can make any Athletics, Acrobatics, Endurance, or Stealth checks using your skill check modifier (not including any temporary bonuses or penalties) in place of its own.
</RulesElement>

<RulesElement name="Two-Weapon Defense" type="Feat" internal-id="ID_FMP_FEAT_172" source="Player's Handbook" revision-date="8/27/2010 12:17:53 PM" >
<Prereqs> Dexterity 13, Two-Weapon Fighting feat </Prereqs>
<print-prereqs> Dexterity 13, Two-Weapon Fighting feat </print-prereqs>
<Flavor> With two weapons in hand, you use one to parry and feint and the other for attacks. </Flavor>
<specific name="Short Description"> +1 to AC and Reflex while wielding a weapon in each hand </specific>
<specific name="type" />
<rules>
<statadd name="AC" value="+1" type="Shield" wearing="DUAL-WIELDING:" />
<statadd name="Reflex" value="+1" type="Shield" wearing="DUAL-WIELDING:" />
</rules>
While wielding a melee weapon in each hand, you gain a +1 shield bonus to AC and Reflex.
</RulesElement>

<RulesElement name="Shielding Word" type="Feat" internal-id="ID_FMP_FEAT_1752" source="Dragon Magazine 378" revision-date="8/27/2010 12:19:24 PM" >
<Prereqs> Cleric, healing word </Prereqs>
<print-prereqs> Cleric, healing word </print-prereqs>
<specific name="Short Description"> Healing word target gains +2 defenses until start of your next turn </specific>
<specific name="type" />
Targets of your healing word class feature also gain a +2 bonus to all defenses until the start of your next turn.
<rules>
<modify name="Healing Word" type="Power" Field="Shielding Word" value="The target gains +2 defenses until start of your next turn." />
</rules>
</RulesElement>

I did verify them
(I always keep backups)

Tivaan fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Aug 31, 2011

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Is there something broken with the WotC.index file in the OP? I installed CBLoader for the first time today, and when I added the index file to /Custom/, I repeatedly got the Contact Customer Service error popup when attempting to run the Character Builder through CBLoader.

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

Koranak posted:

Based on dragon 402's complete failure of a weapliment expertise article, I'm finding myself in need of creating a houseruled version of Versatile Expertise. However, I'm a little stumped as to how to proceed. I can't seem to find Versatile Expertise in any of the .part files, and when looking at "Versatile Expertise II" from feats.part, I can't see anything to edit to make the bonuses kick in at levels 11 and 21 instead of 15 and 25. I'm left wondering if this is one of those cases where the original developers did some magic behind the scenes to make it work....

Mind you I am by no means experienced at modifying this stuff, so I may just be missing something.

Can any one point me in the right direction?
Versatile Expertise II is the same as Versatile Expertise, it just exists if someone wants to take Versatile Expertise twice. It looks like Versatile Expertise defines a class feature you select, and then there are several class feature definitions like this:
<RulesElement name="Versatile Expertise (Wand)" type="Class Feature" internal-id="ID_INTERNAL_CLASS_FEATURE_VERSATILE_EXPERTISE_(WAND)" source="Player's Handbook 3" >
<Category> Versatile Expertise Implement </Category>
<specific name="Short Description"> +1 to attack rolls with wands </specific>
<specific name="_SupportsID"> ID_FMP_FEAT_2785 </specific>
<rules>
<statadd name="wand implement:attack" value="+1" type="Feat" />
<statadd name="wand implement:attack" value="+2" type="Feat" requires="15 level" />
<statadd name="wand implement:attack" value="+3" type="Feat" requires="25 level" />
</rules>
You gain a +1 feat bonus to attack rolls with wands. The bonus increases to +2 at 15th level and +3 at 25th level.
</RulesElement>

One for each implement type and weapon type. You can find them in the combined.dnd40.main file if you want to grab them all. Just paste them into a new .part and change the requires to 11/21 (or "Paragon Tier" and "Epic Tier", either works). Alternately, you can make a new feat with a different internal-id and change the _SupportsID on each weapon/implement entry if you want to leave the old one intact.

You may also want to look at Staff Expertise and Ki Focus Expertise in the feats.part; both of those apply to both implements and weapons, so if you want to set up weapon/implement feats specific to a given weaplement or weapon/implement set that's the place to look.

Undrhil
Dec 24, 2010
So ... nothing mentioned about my post on the previous page? Hybrid beast master ranger|Sentinel creates a messed up Companion screen when choosing your companion(s).

So, I forgot about the bug list file. I have added this as a new entry in that file.

Undrhil fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Aug 31, 2011

Sakri
Dec 15, 2010
There's new errata for Psionic Power: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Article.aspx?x=dnd/updates. The changes are articulated here: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/UpdatePsP.pdf.

Tivaan
Jul 13, 2011

Nth Doctor posted:

Is there something broken with the WotC.index file in the OP? I installed CBLoader for the first time today, and when I added the index file to /Custom/, I repeatedly got the Contact Customer Service error popup when attempting to run the Character Builder through CBLoader.

Are you running the latest CB Build 1.3
There shouldn't be any issues runs fine here

Koranak
Aug 5, 2011

Sefer posted:

Versatile Expertise II is the same as Versatile Expertise, it just exists if someone wants to take Versatile Expertise twice. It looks like Versatile Expertise defines a class feature you select, and then there are several class feature definitions like this:
Thank you sir! I knew what Versatile Expertise II was and why it was there, the part that I was missing was the class features in the combined file. Thanks for your help!

Sakri
Dec 15, 2010
Examining feats.part, I noticed that some feats are in the file twice. For example, Divine Healer, Expanded Spellbook, and Beast Rider among others. I guess that these feats have been in feats.part before the new short descriptions were added, and when the new short descriptions were added, they became included second time. The latter instances seem to be the ones with the new short descriptions. Someone should probably eliminate the double instances by copying the new short description to the first instance of the feat and then deleting the second one. I can do this and submit the corrected file if it's ok to the "dudes".

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Sakri posted:

Examining feats.part, I noticed that some feats are in the file twice. For example, Divine Healer, Expanded Spellbook, and Beast Rider among others. I guess that these feats have been in feats.part before the new short descriptions were added, and when the new short descriptions were added, they became included second time. The latter instances seem to be the ones with the new short descriptions. Someone should probably eliminate the double instances by copying the new short description to the first instance of the feat and then deleting the second one. I can do this and submit the corrected file if it's ok to the "dudes".

The dudes abide.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Tivaan posted:

Are you running the latest CB Build 1.3
There shouldn't be any issues runs fine here

I am indeed. Fresh install of the Character Builder (just got a new PC) and figured I'd try the loader as well. I put my custom folder in \Wizards of the Coast\Character Builder\ because the charbuilderfull_p directory didn't exist. When I added WotC.index to it, that's when things went south. I peeked at cbloader.cbconfig and saw that the <Custom> folder was %AppData%\CBL-CustomParts\ and *that* directory already had a WotC.index file, so I guess I'm set. Perhaps that should be noted in the FAQ right below the OP so no one else gets lost like I did.

Idzy
Apr 2, 2011

Nth Doctor posted:

I am indeed. Fresh install of the Character Builder (just got a new PC) and figured I'd try the loader as well. I put my custom folder in \Wizards of the Coast\Character Builder\ because the charbuilderfull_p directory didn't exist. When I added WotC.index to it, that's when things went south. I peeked at cbloader.cbconfig and saw that the <Custom> folder was %AppData%\CBL-CustomParts\ and *that* directory already had a WotC.index file, so I guess I'm set. Perhaps that should be noted in the FAQ right below the OP so no one else gets lost like I did.

Did you install the october update?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Idzy posted:

Did you install the october update?

Yes I did. I did not open the Character Builder at all before I installed CBLoader, if that has anything to do with the creation of the _p folder.

Sakri
Dec 15, 2010

Drewjitsu posted:

The dudes abide.

Submitted the revised feats.part. I forgot to update version information at the beginning of the file, so dudes should do that.

Tivaan
Jul 13, 2011

Nth Doctor posted:

Yes I did. I did not open the Character Builder at all before I installed CBLoader, if that has anything to do with the creation of the _p folder.

I originally had issues without the _p folder (way back when...)after I reinstalled to a new _p folder all issues went away

Greyhawk Fan
Dec 14, 2010

Nth Doctor posted:

Hey guys. The CBLoader Installer that I put here is intended to be an easy button. You don't have to download the WotC part files or download the WotC index. They are included. It is in the notes for the post. You only need to pick and download your optional home-brew and third-party extra options you want.

I posted:

*It contains all the part data for the main files (the wotc fixes) and can be used to install completely off-line if you want.
and

I posted:

*WotC fixes are installed in your Application Data directories. You do not need to download them.

Your not the first person to do that however. :) I plan on rewriting the notes/instructions when the next update for CBLoader comes out and I repackage it. I am also considering moving the part data to "My Documents" so that it is in your face instead of hidden in Application Data. I can modify my Clean Up shortcut to delete just the main 41 part files there so it can keep the same functionality but those files can be in your face.

Undrhil posted:

So ... nothing mentioned about my post on the previous page? Hybrid beast master ranger|Sentinel creates a messed up Companion screen when choosing your companion(s).
So, I forgot about the bug list file. I have added this as a new entry in that file.
I did notice it. I am actually waiting to see the final version of the Hybrid rules. I don't want to have to redo a potentially complicated fix. I hope you understand. On the WotC forums the folks there can't even agree on how these new hybrid rules are supposed to work. They were kept out of this months update intentionally (on the new builder) and are still basically pre-beta. Anything could happen. They might even be totally poo poo-canned.

If WotC continues to drag this out over another month I can work up a supplementary part file to fix your situation. It would be good practice anyway. :)

Greyhawk Fan fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Sep 1, 2011

neils123
Jun 18, 2011
Ok, here's a new one I'm struggling with...

I'm trying to create a feat that masquerades as a different feat for prerequisite purposes, but doesn't grant any of the additional benefits of the 2nd feat.

Specifically, I would like to code up a 'Deva Blooded' feat, that would meet prerequisites as if it were Deva Heritage (for things like Heavenly Heritage or Radiant Recovery), but does not grant any other benefits.

So far, the following:
code:
   <RulesElement name="Deva Blooded" type="Feat" internal-id="ID_NAS_FEAT_1000" source="House Rule" revision-date="9/02/2011" >
      <Category> ID_INTERNAL_INTERNAL_DEVA_BLOODLINE </Category>
      <Prereqs> Living humanoid race; !bloodline or Deva Bloodline </Prereqs>
      <print-prereqs> Living humanoid race </print-prereqs>
      <specific name="Short Description"> You have a deva bloodline. </specific>
      <specific name="type"> Deva Bloodline </specific>
      <rules>
         <grant name="ID_INTERNAL_INTERNAL_BLOODLINE" type="Internal" />
         <grant name="ID_INTERNAL_INTERNAL_DEVA_BLOODLINE" type="Internal" />
         <grant name="ID_FMP_RACE_35" type="Race" />
      </rules>
This feat is equivalent to Deva Heritage for prerequisite purposes, however it grants no other benefit.
   </RulesElement>
will actually grant the race itself, which is clearly not what I want. For the final grant in the rules section, I have also tried the following, without success:

<grant name="ID_INTERNAL_COUNTSASFEAT_DEVA_HERITAGE" type="CountsAsFeat" /> -- does nothing; does not allow taking of dependent feats. Apparently COUNTSASFEAT is a no-go.

<grant name="Deva Heritage" type="Feat" /> -- actually grants the Deva Heritage feat; not desired

<grant name="Deva Heritage" type="Internal" /> -- seemingly does nothing; does not allow dependent feats

<textstring name="Deva Heritage" value="You count as having the Deva Heritage feat for the purpose of meeting prerequisites" /> -- does nothing

<statadd name="ID_FMP_FEAT_1347" value="+1" />
<statadd name="ID_FMP_FEAT_1347" value="Deva Heritage" /> --both of these also do nothing

I'm almost positive using ID_INTERNAL_COUNTSASRACE_DEVA in a grant would work, insofar as it would make the character count as a deva for prerequisite purposes. However, that's not quite the same as having the Deva Heritage feat - actually being a deva opens up a little more than just having the heritage feat.

So I'm stumped on what to try next. Any suggestions?

EDIT: I just tried adding the internal ID of the original feat (what I want to masquerade AS) to the Category tag of my feat, but that didn't work either.

neils123 fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Sep 2, 2011

Sakri
Dec 15, 2010
Question: If a feat is both in bug-fixes.part and feats.part, which one takes precedence while merging? There are many feats that appear in both files now. Which instance should we use?

Is bug-fixes.part even necessary? Why aren't those elements in their respective part files to prevent double instances (so all bug fixed feats would be in feats.part, for example)?

neils123
Jun 18, 2011

neils123 posted:

So I'm stumped on what to try next. Any suggestions?

Well, it's amazing what a good night's sleep can do for one's creativity. Coming back to this problem in the fresh light of the morning, I poked around the wiki at some examples, and while there was nothing that specifically addressed this need, it nevertheless got me thinking outside the box. The issue is that the various things that require Deva Heritage in fact require an attribute named "Deva Heritage", not a particular internal ID. So all I needed to do was code my feat to grant such an attribute. I was on the right track when I tried to do <grant name="Deva Heritage" type="Internal" />, but I guess Internal is a special thing, and doesn't really work that way.

So, I thought, well, what about granting a racial feature, with the NAME "Deva Heritage", that did nothing at all. Thus, granting the character taking my feat an attribute named Deva Heritage, but not granting him any particular powers, feats, etc. Lo and behold, it works! I can't imagine this is a very common need, but just in case anyone ever needs to do the same thing (create a feat/class feature/racial feature that, among what it does is masquerade as some other thing for prerequisite purposes), here's the final code as an example:

code:
   <RulesElement name="Deva Blooded" type="Feat" internal-id="ID_NAS_FEAT_1000" source="House Rule" revision-date="9/02/2011" >
      <Category> ID_INTERNAL_INTERNAL_DEVA_BLOODLINE </Category>
      <Prereqs> Living humanoid race; !bloodline or Deva Bloodline </Prereqs>
      <print-prereqs> Living humanoid race </print-prereqs>
      <specific name="Short Description"> You have a deva bloodline. </specific>
      <specific name="type"> Deva Bloodline </specific>
      <rules>
         <grant name="ID_INTERNAL_INTERNAL_BLOODLINE" type="Internal" />
         <grant name="ID_INTERNAL_INTERNAL_DEVA_BLOODLINE" type="Internal" />
         <grant name="ID_NAS_RACIAL_TRAIT_1002" type="Racial Trait" />
      </rules>
This feat is equivalent to Deva Heritage for prerequisite purposes, however it grants no other benefit.
   </RulesElement>

<RulesElement name="Deva Heritage" type="Racial Trait" internal-id="ID_NAS_RACIAL_TRAIT_1002" source="House Rule" revision-date="9/02/2011" >
      <specific name="Short Description"> You count as having the Deva Heritage feat for prerequisite purposes only. </specific>
You count as having the Deva Heritage feat for prerequisite purposes only.
   </RulesElement>

Tivaan
Jul 13, 2011

Sakri posted:

Question: If a feat is both in bug-fixes.part and feats.part, which one takes precedence while merging? There are many feats that appear in both files now. Which instance should we use?

Is bug-fixes.part even necessary? Why aren't those elements in their respective part files to prevent double instances (so all bug fixed feats would be in feats.part, for example)?

The one that will take precedence is the one that loads last it will overwrite the previous ones.

I would seriously considered moving bug fix feats to the feat file

Tivaan
Jul 13, 2011
I am assuming no one is working on the Playtest: Tools of Two Trades from Dragon 402. I am going to do them.

Greyhawk Fan
Dec 14, 2010

Sakri posted:

OMG! I am going to start call you Feat Man! Yes, bug-fixes.part is needed. In theory, before anyone adds something that updates old content they are supposed to check bug-fixes.part for any fixes by the community here. I am sure it is not always being done but it should be done. Several fixes lately were broken because folks weren't checking but I think most people are aware of this now and I believe most of them are corrected again.

According to the original plan your many feat updates should have went into bug-fixes.part since it was a correction and not a real game update. This obviously didn't happen. It is not the end of the world or anything. Having them in the feat part file is fine. Especially since you seem intent on rewriting every feat on the planet! :)

If you really want to be proactive and a good researcher then:
1. Download PartHelper to use to search your combined file. I use it all the time as a search engine. The other features aren't really finished but it is great for searching. It will show you the ultimate final version of an element. Check that version against the one you wish to update. Some elements get multiple updates. The XML shown in Part Helper should be the final XML.
2. You can also use Notepad++ in the same way. First close all files open in Notepad++. Go to your %AppData%\CBloader directory and right-click on combined.dnd40.main and edit it in Notepad++ (this file is the unmodified original). Then go to the directory with your WotC main part files and select all 41 part files and right click and edit them in Notepad++. You will now have 42 files open in Notepad++. You can then use the drop down menu to search through all 42 files for elements.

If you find more than one copy of an element the one that counts is the one from the file with the higher number. Having a feat in bug-fixes and one in feats shouldn't hurt anything but it will use the XML from the feat file. In most cases the uploader is probably going to check your submission against bugfixes (to make sure the fixes are included) and may delete it from bug-fixes when they add it to feats. They may not delete it as well.

The truth of the matter is that version 1.3.0 of CBLoader is so amazingly fast it hardly matters if there are a couple of data "doubles" out there. It is best not to have them of course.

Keep up the good work but all 3000 feats don't need a new description. :)

neils123 posted:

Ok, here's a new one I'm struggling with...

I'm trying to create a feat that masquerades as a different feat for prerequisite purposes, but doesn't grant any of the additional benefits of the 2nd feat.

OK. The best way to deal with this situation would be to modify the requirements of the end-line feats to count your masquerading feat as a valid prerequisite in addition to the real feat. It is going to be a lot easier than the way you are trying to do it.

Greyhawk Fan fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Sep 2, 2011

neils123
Jun 18, 2011

Greyhawk Fan posted:

OK. The best way to deal with this situation would be to modify the requirements of the end-line feats to count your masquerading feat as a valid prerequisite in addition to the real feat. It is going to be a lot easier than the way you are trying to do it.

I specifically didn't want to do this, because the end-line feats are WotC standard feats from the combined file, and while it's certainly easy to do, I really don't want to edit that. Particularly because I also want to distribute the .part file to some other players in this particular campaign, and not have them have to edit their combined files. Or.... are you suggesting that I re-write the end-line feats with the modified prerequisites into my .part file, and in such fashion overwrite them in the CB? Hmm.. what I have I've tested and definitely works, but that might be cleaner in the long run. I'll play with that this weekend. Thanks for the insight.

Tivaan posted:

I am assuming no one is working on the Playtest: Tools of Two Trades from Dragon 402. I am going to do them.

Thanks! I, for one, would be interested in that.

Greyhawk Fan
Dec 14, 2010

neils123 posted:

I specifically didn't want to do this, because the end-line feats are WotC standard feats from the combined file, and while it's certainly easy to do, I really don't want to edit that. Particularly because I also want to distribute the .part file to some other players in this particular campaign, and not have them have to edit their combined files.

Nah. Don't be afraid to house rule some stuff. Especially stranger feats. That is really what CBLoader is for!

You put all your campaign modifications into your campaign part (which I am sure you already have). Name it with a number higher than 50 so it compiles after the official stuff.

My part files kind-of look like this:
0 to 40 the normal stuff
70's generic 3rd party stuff I use (customized a little)
80's campaign specific parts I have made
90's my house rules

Advanced Comment
Starting with version 1.3.0 you can actually keep two different combined files on the same computer and have it actually work if you set up some configuration files and different directories. So if you really wanted to have a "Clean" version with just the official main files you can and then also have your customized campaign files. You can get really advanced and store your customized campaign part files (and one copy of the main files) in a Drop Box Folder. Keep your campaign work files in a separate Drop Box Folder. Share those two folders with your players and then e-mail them a copy of your new configuration file. Then when you run CBLoader with that configuration file it will update on your computer and change the files for all shared Drop Box folders (so in theory your player's wouldn't even have to run merges, except when a normal update happened. And even then they could run the merge for you if they beat you to it.)

Sakri
Dec 15, 2010

Greyhawk Fan posted:

If you find more than one copy of an element the one that counts is the one from the file with the higher number. Having a feat in bug-fixes and one in feats shouldn't hurt anything but it will use the XML from the feat file. In most cases the uploader is probably going to check your submission against bugfixes (to make sure the fixes are included) and may delete it from bug-fixes when they add it to feats. They may not delete it as well.

Keep up the good work but all 3000 feats don't need a new description. :)

So basically, if I find the same feat in feats.part and bug-fixes.part, and there is a difference in XML, should I just copy the new short description from feats.part to the corresponding feat in bug-fixes.part and then delete the entry from feats.part?

And I believe I have already rewritten all the feat descriptions now that I submitted the remaining Dark Sun feats yesterday :).

scpredmage
Sep 2, 2011
Not sure if it was mentioned in the previous thread, but I didn't see it anywhere in this one: apparently the LCB doesn't understand the prereq "Any shadow power", because my Bladesinger (who has both the Spook cantrip and the Twilight Falls encounter power) isn't being given the option to take the Spectral Step feat, which has that as its only prereq.

A quick test in the online builder shows it allowing the feat with the same character (minus Spook, since WotC's data entry monkeys apparently didn't realize Bladesingers can take the cantrips from Heroes of Shadow).

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Whoops. Wrong thread. Shows me to post too late.

Gorelab fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Sep 3, 2011

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Changes to Feats.part

Because I'm a giant lazy rear end, I like to have my feats show up on my power cards (especially when they apply to some but not all of my powers).

Enlarge spell and Psychic Lock now do just that.

Please provide feedback for the wording - I had to kludge the psychic lock a bit, because the builder will automatically put "to attack rolls" after the -2.

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006
Enlarge spell info is appearing on all arcane at will and encounter power cards, not just burst and blasts.

To be honest I think that something like this that is a personal preference shouldn't be included in the default setup. Would you be able to do it in a way that it only appears as like a house rule or something?

Not sure I'm a big fan of the new "short" feat descriptions - in a lot of cases the whole feat text is now in the feat description :(

Mr Beens fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Sep 3, 2011

Sakri
Dec 15, 2010

Mr Beens posted:

Not sure I'm a big fan of the new "short" feat descriptions - in a lot of cases the whole feat text is now in the feat description :(

Actually the point was to have the whole content of the feat in the short description, but still in a more compact form than in the actual description. I'd say that the average compression ratio was about 50%. I find it more important to not have to refer to a book or the program during play than to keep the feat descriptions minimally short and inaccurate, even misleading.

Also, many feats lacked short description altogether, but all should have one now.

If you have difficulty in fitting the descriptions in the usual space, just unlock panels and draw the feat box on blank page. You can create new blank pages from one of the menus.

I am also willing to shorten the descriptions further by introducing more abbreviations like modifier -> mod. and adjacent -> adj. Would people like this?

Sakri fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Sep 4, 2011

SabreCat
Dec 12, 2010

d4 damage with the ill behavior

Mr Beens posted:

I find that most of the time I remove text from feats on the character sheet anyway. This way, at least you can tell what the feat does when you're trying to pick from the enormous list.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
As it was, some of them were down right misleading. Short description: Gain +1 attack when (x) Sweet! Long description: Gain +1 to MBA's when (x). Well gently caress you.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Mr Beens posted:

Enlarge spell info is appearing on all arcane at will and encounter power cards, not just burst and blasts.

To be honest I think that something like this that is a personal preference shouldn't be included in the default setup. Would you be able to do it in a way that it only appears as like a house rule or something?

Dammit. You're totally right. I wonder if there's a way to change that. I'll revert it right now.

sythspawn
Apr 5, 2011
Devout Protector Expertise isn't calculating its feat bonus to my powers - It's just appearing as an additional effect on each card. Also, shouldn't the secondary benefit be what appears in the Additional Effects section of the power cards? Right now it's displaying the actual feat bonus to attack rolls.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Tivaan, for the D402 feats, each entry shows up twice on the Character Sheet. I noticed that each feat gives an additional feat which duplicates the short description. Why is that?

EDIT: these feats might be beyond the capabilities of the offline builder. They have no capacity to determine what is being wielded, save for detecting if something is not being wielded in the off hand, or the type of armor that someone has on.

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Sep 4, 2011

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Noticed two bugs tonight: the level 10 bite power for the Dead Rat Deserter is simply repeating the text of the hybrid form transformation power, and the Arena Training Fighter build isn't properly assigning the feat bonuses to all the trained weapons.

Major thanks to you guys for maintaining this! It's head and shoulders above anything Wizards is putting out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greyhawk Fan
Dec 14, 2010

Drewjitsu posted:

Tivaan, for the D402 feats, each entry shows up twice on the Character Sheet. I noticed that each feat gives an additional feat which duplicates the short description. Why is that?

As coded they will definitely show up twice and I am not sure why this approach was taken. Also these feats are giving blanket bonuses to everything without regard to requirements. For example: White Lotus Dueling Expertise feat as written is going to give the feat bonus to all powers regardless of whether they are arcane or not. This would be an issue for magic item powers, multiclass and hybrid characters, skill powers, and theme powers just to name a few. Having just read the Dragon Article this seems to be another il-conceived article in the flavor of the Essential Hybrid Playtest. Quality and thoughtfulness of Dragon Articles are definitely at an all-time low.

Consider the follow XML for White Lotus Dueling Expertise to fix it up a little:
code:
<RulesElement name="White Lotus Dueling Expertise" type="Feat" internal-id="ID_TIV_FEAT_D402-01" source="Dragon Magazine 402">
<Prereqs> Any arcane class </Prereqs>
<print-prereqs> Any Arcane Class </print-prereqs>
      <Flavor> You have been trained to carry out an arcane duel using a variety of implements-often more than one at the same time. </Flavor>
      <specific name="Short Description"> Gain feat bonus to arcane attacks and basic attacks. </specific>
        <rules>
	    <statadd name="arcane:attack" value="+1" type="Feat" />
            <statadd name="arcane:attack" value="+2" type="Feat" requires="11 level" />
            <statadd name="arcane:attack" value="+3" type="Feat" requires="21 level" />
	    <statadd name="ID_INTERNAL_POWER_MELEE_BASIC_ATTACK:attack" value="+1" type="feat"  />
	    <statadd name="ID_INTERNAL_POWER_MELEE_BASIC_ATTACK:attack" value="+2" type="feat" requires="11 Level" />
	    <statadd name="ID_INTERNAL_POWER_MELEE_BASIC_ATTACK:attack" value="+3" type="feat" requires="21 Level" />
	    <statadd name="ID_INTERNAL_POWER_RANGED_BASIC_ATTACK:attack" value="+1" type="feat"  />
	    <statadd name="ID_INTERNAL_POWER_RANGED_BASIC_ATTACK:attack" value="+2" type="feat" requires="11 Level" />
	    <statadd name="ID_INTERNAL_POWER_RANGED_BASIC_ATTACK:attack" value="+3" type="feat" requires="21 Level" />
	</rules>	  
You gain a +1 feat bonus to the attack rolls of arcane powers and basic attacks that you make with any weapon or implement with which you have proficiency. This bonus increases to +2 at 11th level and +3 at 21st level.
	In addition, when you hit an enemy with an arcane at-will attack power or basic attack on your turn, you gain a +2 bonus to Arcana checks and Diplomacy checks until the end of your next turn.
</RulesElement>
This version of White Lotus Dueling Expertise gives the feat to-hit bonus with only arcane powers. Since this bonus applies to all weapons and implements that the user can use for arcane attack powers it doesn't matter what implement they are using. This also gives the bonus to melee and ranged basic attacks. However, theme attack powers and non-arcane attack powers will not falsely get the bonus this way so multi-classing and hybrids will be calculated correctly. A similar upgrade can be done on War Wizard's Expertise feat.

Also
Dwarven Rod Expertise
I would consider changing the conditional bonus in that feat to a real one like:
<statadd name="Mace:attack" value="+1" type="Feat" />
<statadd name="Mace:attack" value="+2" type="Feat" requires="11 level" />
<statadd name="Mace:attack" value="+3" type="Feat" requires="21 level" />

Greyhawk Fan fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Sep 4, 2011

• Locked thread