Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

Dear God, what is it like in your funny little brains?
It must be so boring.
Any votes on the best appointment scheduling plugin? And as a bonus question: a 'helpdesk ticket' system...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sim
Sep 24, 2003

muscat_gummy posted:

get_option('whatever')

Thank you! I didn't even realize that get_option would work. This opens up a whole new world of possibilities. In fact... it is kind of scary how quickly you can deploy a fully created site, complete with dynamic variables like "blogname" inside the content.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo
Holy crap Tweet Blender looks amazing and solves a ton of things for me, brilliant thanks!

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

It must be so boring.
I need your opinions, gents and gals.

I'm setting up a site wherein someone can open a 'support' ticket, but I need to be able to collect payment before they open a ticket.

Ideally, the workflow would be:
* Login to account or create a new one
* Agree to terms ($ per incident, blah blah) checkbox
* Pay via Paypal/Google/Amazon
* Return and enter the ticket

To complicate it more, I'd like to offer 'prepaid' support where they can buy tickets in advance at a discount.

I have a feeling I'm looking at a shopping cart though, with a 'return_to_paid_enter_ticket' page. Any thoughts or ideas?

Worst case is I let them enter the ticket, send an invoice then work the ticket I guess.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

It must be so boring.
Here's my worst case scenario. I'm actually warming to this idea, as I can script an auto-response invoice server side probably without too much trouble. And I could also just create a 'sell me 4 tickets' form and keep track manually.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

muscat_gummy
Nov 30, 2008
Two questions:

1) Wordpress adds slashes to some of my options (blogname, blogdescription, and the default case). It is driving me insane. It does change ' into & #039; (without the space obviously) but I guess it adds the slash before that happens? I don't even know. I don't want to change the core. I've been looking at functions.php and formatting.php and kses.php but there are so many instances of addslashes and stripslashes that I just want to scream and still haven't pinned down what's ultimately responsible for my troubles.

2) Is the max upload file size defined somewhere or does it rely only on php.ini? In my php.ini file it's set to 2 MB, which is the limit for some things, but the header is limited to 1.5MB and any other media files (pdfs and so on) are a mere 1MB. WTF?
OK, I found where to change the header image size via some network admin settings (so it is now 2M as well), but the drat media files are still limited to 1M. Wordpress, argh! Nobody on the wordpress.org forums has responded, either. :(

I am a retard: 2000KB =/= 2MB. :downs: Wordpress converts between these things a million times for some reason.

muscat_gummy fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Sep 2, 2011

Captain Corny
Dec 16, 2000

mcsuede posted:

Holy crap Tweet Blender looks amazing and solves a ton of things for me, brilliant thanks!
The only downside that I'm aware of is that it can cause performance problems in high traffic sites. Something about the cache not working optimally.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
[...] Why do spammers do this? There's usually not even a link going anywhere [...]

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I want to put some French translations I've done online and I'm hoping I can use wordpress because it's the only thing I really have any experience with.

I want to publish both the French version and my translation, so basically I'd have two versions of every post, one in French and one in English (I figure this is the best way to do it, but maybe not).

What I'd really love is if visitors could easily flip between the two using tabs at the top of the page or something. Can anyone think of a way to do this?

Actually it's just occurred to me that this is basically the same situation as any blog that supports different languages, so maybe there are already plugins or something?

edit: there are some multilingual plugins, but they all seem to do too much. I just want a way of establishing a correspondence between pairs of posts so that the English post can link to it's French version and vice versa.

edit 2: or perhaps a better solution would be to have the English and French both in the same post and then have a clever "collapsible" layout?

edit 3: I got this working by putting the english and french in two separate divs in the same post and then using jquery to show / hide them.

fuf fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Sep 3, 2011

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

fuf posted:

What I'd really love is if visitors could easily flip between the two using tabs at the top of the page or something. Can anyone think of a way to do this?

Have you tried out qTranslate? The plugin's site is also a demo of the plugin, in case you want to check it out.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

Ignis posted:

Have you tried out qTranslate? The plugin's site is also a demo of the plugin, in case you want to check it out.

This is the correct answer! I use this quite a bit.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!
I've used WPML to do this on a large scale, I don't know if it's overkill for something this simple, though.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Thanks for the tips.

I don't think I'll splash out for WPML but maybe I'll take a closer look at qTranslate. I did give it a quick try but not in too much depth.

I guess in the long run something like qTranslate would be better than my current solution, which requires putting css directly into each post (not ideal).

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

fuf posted:

I guess in the long run something like qTranslate would be better than my current solution, which requires putting css directly into each post (not ideal).

Why does it require you to do this? You should be able to stick the language into body_class() and modify the layout with the regular css files.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Ned posted:

Why does it require you to do this? You should be able to stick the language into body_class() and modify the layout with the regular css files.

Are you talking about qTranslate? I don't know what body_class() is. :shobon:

I was talking about my own clunky solution where I put the French and English in the same post but in two separate divs and then use jQuery to switch between which is visible.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

fuf posted:

Are you talking about qTranslate? I don't know what body_class() is. :shobon:

I was talking about my own clunky solution where I put the French and English in the same post but in two separate divs and then use jQuery to switch between which is visible.

When making a theme in WordPress you should start out your body tag by writing this:
code:
<body <?php body_class(); ?>>
This shoves a bunch of classes onto your body that make it easy to modify the design with css based on the page rendered.

qTranslate does put both or all languages into the same field in the database but it encapsulates them and pulls out the appropriate one based on what language the reader has selected.

WPML actually modifies the database and links various posts/pages to one another. I think qTranslate is the better plugin as it tries to do things the proper WordPress way.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I am making a "Coming soon!" page for a friend's startup, mainly just to gauge interest in his product.

- Are there any themes I can look at for a single page like this?
- I want to have two fields where customers can put their name and email in, and click "submit".

Any help would be appreciated.

Bearnt!
Feb 6, 2004

No onions, no onions

Gyshall posted:

I am making a "Coming soon!" page for a friend's startup, mainly just to gauge interest in his product.

- I want to have two fields where customers can put their name and email in, and click "submit".

Tempskin is one I've used for this purpose. Ignore the demo link on that page, the download link will give you the theme, it's free.

Can someone recommend me some of the better ad manager plugins? Really the only two features I need are click tracking and the ability to have rotating banners. Thank you in advance.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Gyshall posted:

I would start here.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

It must be so boring.
Anyone else been affected by the timthumb bullshit? I've had index.php and htaccess files modified to point to .ru domains.
Serious pain in the rear end to clean up on a shared host, spanning 20+ domains. Every db user and password to be changed, all files scanned, all themes not in use are being trashed.
I want to punch someone.

hmm yes
Dec 2, 2000
College Slice
Yeah, it sucks. If you're on a bad shared host, and someone else doesn't patch their timthumb, dudes will just re-scan your folders for passwords and you'll be screwed again in a couple of weeks. Find a way to bill your clients :)

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo
Here's a quick list of plugins I like for one reason or another (and in no particular order), in case it helps someone:

W3 Total Cache
Admin Flush W3TC Cache
CloudFlare (in combination with the CloudFlare service, obviously)
WP Smush.it OR CW Image Optimizer (Linux server only, uses littleutils)
WP-DBManager
Akismet
Use Google Libraries
Google Analytics for WordPress
ServerBuddy
Simple Image Size
Shadowbox JS
WordPress SEO
WP Original source
Redirection
Photo Galleria
MediaRSS
Clean Notifications
Bulk Change Attachment Parent
SEO Slugs
SEO Friendly Images
SEO Smart Links
Yet Another Related Posts Plugin
Reveal IDs
Disqus
WP-PageNavi
WP Google Fonts

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

It must be so boring.
Anyone a member of http://premium.wpmudev.org/ ?

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001
I just started working for a small vacation apartment rental company to help them with their marketing (among other things).

My first goal is to get my boss to completely redesign her website. Here is her current site that she built in dreamweaver: http://www.feelslikehomeinparis.com (avert your eyes if bad design makes you queazy).

I suggested switching over to wordpress so she can update her page easily. I found this theme that I think looks really nice: http://demo.themeshift.com/decorum/

What do you all think of the theme I found. One thing, I don't like how this theme handles its blog. How much would it cost to get a developer to redesign the blog portion to look like a "standard blog."

I'm not web designer/developer (obviously) so is there anything I should keep in mind when redoing the site?

cocteau
Nov 28, 2005

The best Darcy.

Omits-Bagels posted:

I just started working for a small vacation apartment rental company to help them with their marketing (among other things).

My first goal is to get my boss to completely redesign her website. Here is her current site that she built in dreamweaver: http://www.feelslikehomeinparis.com (avert your eyes if bad design makes you queazy).

I suggested switching over to wordpress so she can update her page easily. I found this theme that I think looks really nice: http://demo.themeshift.com/decorum/

What do you all think of the theme I found. One thing, I don't like how this theme handles its blog. How much would it cost to get a developer to redesign the blog portion to look like a "standard blog."

I'm not web designer/developer (obviously) so is there anything I should keep in mind when redoing the site?

I think that's a nice looking real estate blog, at least from the user side of things. Would want to look under the hood to see how it handles all the information, but it looks like it could be pretty solid.

Do you just want the blog page to show one blog post at a time? I can't tell for sure without looking at the template (php) files but I suspect it would be pretty simple to do that, and should not cost much at all.

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001

cocteau posted:

I think that's a nice looking real estate blog, at least from the user side of things. Would want to look under the hood to see how it handles all the information, but it looks like it could be pretty solid.

Do you just want the blog page to show one blog post at a time? I can't tell for sure without looking at the template (php) files but I suspect it would be pretty simple to do that, and should not cost much at all.

I was thinking that it would show the last 10-15 posts.

I really like how Hip Paris blog looks http://hipparis.com so I'm imagining something like that (but without the left sidebar) and I would just copy their blog layout ideally.

cocteau
Nov 28, 2005

The best Darcy.

Omits-Bagels posted:

I was thinking that it would show the last 10-15 posts.

I really like how Hip Paris blog looks http://hipparis.com so I'm imagining something like that (but without the left sidebar) and I would just copy their blog layout ideally.

It doesn't seem like it would be that difficult, though of course without seeing the code it's impossible to say for sure. If you want to contact me offline I'd be willing to take a look at it for you and give you an idea of what it would take. cocteau32@gmail or via AIM.

pipebomb
May 12, 2001

It must be so boring.
ElegantThemes has an Estate theme (http://www.elegantthemes.com/preview/ElegantEstate/) and (http://www.elegantthemes.com/gallery/elegantestate/)- all of theirs have an optional blog style that might do the trick.

If you sign up (tis cheap), feel free to use this link http://www.elegantthemes.com/affiliates/idevaffiliate.php?id=5864 and I'll help you out. I've deployed their stuff a dozen times.

pipebomb fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Sep 12, 2011

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
What plugins are everyone using on brand new installations?

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
Are there any plugins that would allow me to customize a theme more than the standard options? I know I can edit the code but that is too complicated for me at this point. I am using the default twenty eleven theme and I like the way it looks but there are a few things I’d like to change as far as colors, header/footer content and size goes. I also want to make that search box go away or at least move it to the bottom of the page.

I also have an issue with the way the text formats when it is posted. I wrote a poem that uses a lot of spaces and tabs in a certain way but when I post it, it takes all of those away and it ends up being a big block of text. I tried pasting from word, paste from plain text, quote, and remove formatting but none seem to work. Is this something I would have to do via html? Is there a plugin I overlooked that would do this for me?

cocteau
Nov 28, 2005

The best Darcy.

Gorgolflox posted:

Are there any plugins that would allow me to customize a theme more than the standard options? I know I can edit the code but that is too complicated for me at this point. I am using the default twenty eleven theme and I like the way it looks but there are a few things I’d like to change as far as colors, header/footer content and size goes. I also want to make that search box go away or at least move it to the bottom of the page.

I also have an issue with the way the text formats when it is posted. I wrote a poem that uses a lot of spaces and tabs in a certain way but when I post it, it takes all of those away and it ends up being a big block of text. I tried pasting from word, paste from plain text, quote, and remove formatting but none seem to work. Is this something I would have to do via html? Is there a plugin I overlooked that would do this for me?

Don't use a plugin for this... choose a different theme. You might like Weaver, which is built on the Twenty Eleven theme but gives you a lot of control over the structure, as well as look and feel, without going into the code.

http://wordpress.org/extend/themes/weaver

You also should learn at least rudimentary CSS or at least find someone who can work on the site for you, because changing the way text appears is really simple stuff.

Sleepstupid
Feb 23, 2009
I'm looking to build a simple (I hope) site that can do the following:

1) Allow a customer to login and upload a static html file.
2) Once the file is uploaded it needs to show up on that customer's page as clickable link.
3) The link then needs to be able to be opened by anyone (no login required). But it needs to open just like any other html document and not downloaded when clicked on.
4) This html file will periodically be overwritten by a new file.

I was hoping I could do this with either wordpress (or drupal) as I've toyed around with each in the past, but trying to google for file uploading examples/modules/plugins returns an assload of results.

If neither of those are an option, I am also not opposed to building something myself as long as it's something fairly simple.

Any suggestions to get me going in the right direction?

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful
A couple of things.

I have a site that runs Wordpress for everything except a review engine, which is handled by Censura (censura.info) review script. I think I want to import all the reviews (a few thousand) into Wordpress to simplify management of the site. For example, I want to roll out a new theme, but the review engine uses a completely separate templating system, and I really don't want to re-theme it again. The importing can be done pretty easily using the CSV Import plugin. The export is going to be a bitch though, as the review engine stores product information, review summary, review text, and review data in separate tables. Anyone love php and sql and want some paid work? Posting this here before looking elsewhere, as even though the work isn't directly WP related, the end result is.

Second, looking for something that looks like the Engadget "Top Posts" block. A plugin would be great, but I can't find one, so if anyone has seen one, or if there's a theme that I can rip it out of that would be awesome.

Third, just started using the Wordbooker plugin http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wordbooker/ on one of my sites. Holy poo poo is it amazing. Took 20 minutes to get it working right, but the options available are pretty amazing. Gives you a checkbox to publish a post to Facebook, and is even able to sync comments between Facebook and WP. Haven't noticed too big of a performance hit, so I'm pretty stoked on this one.

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva

cocteau posted:

Don't use a plugin for this... choose a different theme. You might like Weaver, which is built on the Twenty Eleven theme but gives you a lot of control over the structure, as well as look and feel, without going into the code.

http://wordpress.org/extend/themes/weaver

You also should learn at least rudimentary CSS or at least find someone who can work on the site for you, because changing the way text appears is really simple stuff.

Yeah, after waking up I realized that I should have just downloaded a bunch of themes and tried them out. I am doing that right now, I'm liking Weaver but I got a couple more I wanna try. Thanks for the suggestion.

I know some CSS but I really don't like messing with it, but I guess relearning the text formatting stuff wouldn't be too bad. I was just hoping for some magic plugin that would fix all my woes, oh well. Thanks again for the help.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

A client wants to add a 'subscriber registration form' to the sidebar. By this they mean a textbox where a reader can enter their e-mail address. When she publishes a new article a notice or the article itself sends to the e-mail address.

How would I do this? I know RSS is meant for such a thing but I'm not sure she's about to change all of her friends' habits that are as she says, "near her skill level." For what it's worth this is the same client that demanded I get their page working correctly in some ancient version of AOL.

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Sep 14, 2011

cocteau
Nov 28, 2005

The best Darcy.

Abel Wingnut posted:

A client wants to add a 'subscriber registration form' to the sidebar. By this they mean a textbox where a reader can enter their e-mail address. When she publishes a new article a notice or the article itself sends to the e-mail address.

How would I do this? I know RSS is meant for such a thing but I'm not sure she's about to change all of her friends' habits that are as she says, "near her skill level." For what it's worth this is the same client that demanded I get their page working correctly in some ancient version of AOL.

MailChimp, Constant Contact, and several other companies are mailing list services that allow you to insert code into your WP site (though plugins or other options), they collect the email addresses for you, then you publish what you want sent and the service sends it out, and best of all gives the proper opt out options which are necessary for legal reasons (and a lot of hosting companies such as Hostgator require it as well).

Although these services do charge, MailChimp does have a free option which works if your mailing list is pretty small or you don't send stuff out often.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

stormrider posted:

The export is going to be a bitch though, as the review engine stores product information, review summary, review text, and review data in separate tables. Anyone love php and sql and want some paid work? Posting this here before looking elsewhere, as even though the work isn't directly WP related, the end result is.

I can probably do this for you if the content is on the web. I have nice methods for scraping data and shoving it into WordPress.

StrikerJ
Oct 8, 2001

Does anyone have suggestions for a theme for a portfolio/photography site.
Looking for something minimalistic with just a little text and photo galleries in different categories. Preferably a free theme since I'm just getting started in Wordpress and want to try it before spending money.

Oh, and I'm also looking for a nice gallery function with dynamic preloading (or whatever) so that you can get the next picture in order instantly.

Thankful for any suggestions.

All Hat
Jul 11, 2008

He that is without int among you, let him first cast a long

Nice thread, Ned.

Child theming question:

What would be the right way to change this kind of text element to say something else? I am already using a translated theme.

code:
_e( 'Featured Post', 'twentyeleven' );

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
Just do echo "Whatever" if you don't really care about it being available in other languages. Otherwise you can modify the language files in the theme.