Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matsumoto Outo
Oct 20, 2010

I like the weight of this prawn, also its firmness and its ... dynamism

Sefiros posted:

I made a DARK thing.
"Yet suppose further. Suppose that all worlds, all universes, met at a single nexus, a single pylon, a Tower. And within it, a stairway, perhaps rising to the Godhead itself. Would you dare climb to the top, gunslinger? Could it be that somewhere above all of endless reality, there exists a room?...

You dare not."

Nice tower!

Matsumoto Outo fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Sep 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bengraven
Sep 17, 2009

by VideoGames
Is there portal back to spawn at the top of that dark Tower?

Sefiros
Mar 16, 2006

go radish go

bengraven posted:

This is clever.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Matsumoto Outo posted:

New page - Floating Pig

You don't need to do that you know. In fact it's probatable now, I'd edit that out if I were you.

Edit:

bengraven posted:

:golfclap:

Monicro fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Sep 4, 2011

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!
Things have been slow in the MC modding scene lately as everyone is gearing up for 1.8. But hell here's one more YB release to hopefully hold you over until then.

:megaman: YogBox 1.7.3 v1.1 now out! :megaman:

What's new?
    -Reverted Inventory Tweaks back to v1.22 and reincluded Convenient Inventory as the latest version of Inv. Tweaks causes issues
    -Updated Single Player RPG Mod to v1.4a
    -Updated Millenaire to 1.3.1 (natch)
    -Updated Somnia to v13, which means that seasons shall now pass while sleeping when used in conjunction with Nandonalt's Seasons Mod
    -Updated Rei's Minimap to v1.8
    -Updated Elemental Creepers to v1.2.3
    -Added changelog.txt, which is what you're reading right now!

Nab it here:
http://theyogbox.net

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Pudding Huxtable posted:

Things have been slow in the MC modding scene lately as everyone is gearing up for 1.8. But hell here's one more YB release to hopefully hold you over until then.

What's new?
    -Reverted Inventory Tweaks back to v1.22 and reincluded Convenient Inventory as the latest version of Inv. Tweaks causes issues
    -Updated Somnia to v13, which means that seasons shall now pass while sleeping when used in conjunction with Nandonalt's Seasons Mod

Nab it here:

I just started my 6 days to 1.8 yogworld! PUDDDDINNNNG!
:argh:

Edit: Wait, I don't think we're in the right thread...

Killer-of-Lawyers fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Sep 4, 2011

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Oct 1, 2014

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Jesto posted:

What? :geno:

"Because no" There, done, you can stop worrying about it.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Notch has stated in the past he's not doing it because moving light sources causes the light to flicker nauseatingly. The only way he could fix that is by rewriting the entire lighting system from the ground up.

Dapper Man
Jul 12, 2006

Jesto posted:

What? :geno:

There is a dynamic light mod that works great, even in smp. Download it from the minecraft forums.

There are lots of mods that add in trivial features like this, that don't have that big of an impact on game play. I don't think it's skin off anyone's nose whether or not they are an official part of the game.

Emong posted:

Notch has stated in the past he's not doing it because moving light sources causes the light to flicker nauseatingly. The only way he could fix that is by rewriting the entire lighting system from the ground up.

With the way lighting is done in 1.8, I would think it would be much easier to handle.

Dapper Man fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Sep 4, 2011

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Especially once mod support becomes official.
I can't even imagine a time when we won't have to update mods every single time there's a patch for Minecraft. It'll be mind-blowing.
You don't have to redownload or reinstall it unless it has new features. And you can just make a mod once and be done with it. Not to mention better compatibility, ease of use, and no need for middlemen compilers like the Minecraft Coder Pack.

Notch said it was coming down the line, but I don't think we'll get it before official release.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Notch's idea of mod support is to give modders access to the (unobfuscated) source. Minecraft won't have a mod API and every new Minecraft release will still break existing mods in the usual fashion.

Of course somebody else might write a mod API.

GobyWan
Jun 5, 2006
tiny plastic novelty palm trees are all I need

Emong posted:

I'm under the impression that Notch actually has rewritten the lighting system from the ground up for 1.8. I'll reserve judgment until people look at the code and we see 1.8's lighting on something other than PAX blurrycam, but hopefully this new system makes dynamic lighting practical.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

pseudorandom name posted:

Notch's idea of mod support is to give modders access to the (unobfuscated) source. Minecraft won't have a mod API and every new Minecraft release will still break existing mods in the usual fashion.
No. That's incorrect.
The obfuscation is why every new patch breaks mods.
More often than not all a mod needs to update is for its referenced classes to be updated to their new obfuscated name. If those names didn't change between every release, then mods would persist in function. You wouldn't have to change all mentions of AB.class to AC.class, it would just be Sapling.class, forever.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

Has anyone else been having trouble with screenshots? I took a bunch on the SMP server I play on, but when I went to upload them to imgur I found out they were all garbled messes, like this one:

What the hell? Does anyone know what's wrong, and how to fix it? :confused:

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Monicro posted:

Has anyone else been having trouble with screenshots? I took a bunch on the SMP server I play on, but when I went to upload them to imgur I found out they were all garbled messes, like this one:

What the hell? Does anyone know what's wrong, and how to fix it? :confused:

How are you taking these screenshots?

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

Fayez Butts posted:

How are you taking these screenshots?

I'm just hitting F2, like I've always done. It's worked fine until now, and that's what confuses me the most.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Vib Rib posted:

No. That's incorrect.
The obfuscation is why every new patch breaks mods.
More often than not all a mod needs to update is for its referenced classes to be updated to their new obfuscated name. If those names didn't change between every release, then mods would persist in function. You wouldn't have to change all mentions of AB.class to AC.class, it would just be Sapling.class, forever.

Sure, the obfuscation doesn't help. But that doesn't change the fact that Minecraft itself doesn't have any kind of stable API or plugin system that your mod can hook into. You're either binary patching the existing classes by finding and altering specific code patterns, or you're reimplementing the entire class from scratch with the same API.

A real mod API would look a lot like what Bukkit does now. I suspect if Mojang doesn't supply a mod API, something derived from Bukkit will be the de facto mod interface. (Hopefully with some intelligent mechanism for the allocation of block and entity IDs and the ability to both remove mods from worlds and sanely cope with missing mods.)

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Monicro posted:

I'm just hitting F2, like I've always done. It's worked fine until now, and that's what confuses me the most.

That looks like your graphics card is overheating or on the way out to me.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Sure, the obfuscation doesn't help. But that doesn't change the fact that Minecraft itself doesn't have any kind of stable API or plugin system that your mod can hook into. You're either binary patching the existing classes by finding and altering specific code patterns, or you're reimplementing the entire class from scratch with the same API.
Either way, you're wrong about it not changing anything, and you're definitely wrong about it still meaning every mod needs to update for every patch.
Once the code itself is deobfuscated, APIs like ModLoader and Bukkit won't have to update constantly, and they themselves can serve as the framework for more robust modding -- as they already do, but now in a much more stable and solid way). And in any case it would mean that mods which hook into such APIs can enjoy some degree of stability even between versions which they can't now, in any form.

Even if Notch isn't implementing an API himself, mutable and inconsistent obfuscation of the base code is the only thing that's really standing between us and a more reliable mod scene.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
The reason Notch isn't allowing dynamic lighting set to all torches I'm pretty sure is that it absolutely murders a lot of computers, and given that Minecraft isn't the best optimized thing in the world, that murder would probably be very effective.

"In this update, 30% of all Minecraft players will be no longer be able to play Minecraft at all"

Pudding Huxtable posted:

What's new?

Nab it here:

Please keep Minecraft mod stuff in the actual Minecraft modding thread thank you.

Zorak fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Sep 4, 2011

Old Greg
Jun 16, 2008

Enzer posted:

Image provided by IAmCorbin

So, big events over at WilsonSMP, we've capped our forty slot server over the past two days as we begin our week long End Of The World event in preparation of resetting the server for 1.8. It has been an absolute blast and we hope that things keep going as well as they have.

Decided to share some of the highlights of the event.

User Fiblah has compiled video of last nights event (Day 1) for us:

The last few pages of the thread have tons of compiled pictures and timelines to check out as well.

I honestly cannot imagine a better way to advertise a server than this. Once 1.8 hits, I can't wait to try and get on and have some fun.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Of course somebody else might write a mod API.

They pretty much already have, haven't they? ModLoader's a semi-API.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

Old Greg posted:

I honestly cannot imagine a better way to advertise a server than this. Once 1.8 hits, I can't wait to try and get on and have some fun.

Why wait? We're always more than willing to share our resources if that's the issue, and we're starting a new world when 1.8 hits so it's not like losing your stuff is gonna matter in the long run.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

MikeJF posted:

They pretty much already have, haven't they? ModLoader's a semi-API.

Yeah. One of these things will happen upon the release of the source code for modding:

a) ModLoader or its successor will be made into a proper API
b) if the singleplayer/multiplayer merge will happen before the source code release, Bukkit will become the go-to API; it will probably become the API even if the merge happens after releasing the source code, because it would make little sense reinventing the wheel

It's also probable that an essentials-type mod will be made/included in the API, that will incorporte most of the no-brainer mods that enhance Minecraft right now, like HD textures support, more block IDs, better inventory handling, Optifine etc.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
Is there a list of really awesome worldgen seeds anywhere? I know about gargamel but I'm curious to see alternatives. Heck, if there isn't a decent list anywhere, I'd be happy to have a go at compiling one.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Zero Star posted:

Is there a list of really awesome worldgen seeds anywhere? I know about gargamel but I'm curious to see alternatives. Heck, if there isn't a decent list anywhere, I'd be happy to have a go at compiling one.

Besides the list of seeds link in the OP?

Or are you talking about creating a new list of seeds once 1.8 with the new worldgen code is released in a week(?) or so?

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Zero Star posted:

I think theres a thread in PYF for it. My personal favorite is "gently caress my rear end", no quotes and all lower case.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Hadlock posted:

Besides the list of seeds link in the OP?
I have that thread bookmarked as well! This is not a good morning for me. :doh:

Playing on the Toilet Roll seed (a massive arctic world that I linked to in that thread) I finally managed to tame a wolf and have it become my sidekick. I had to carve a 1x1 hole next to my front door so he could get through, kind of like a doggie door. :3:

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Zero Star posted:

I have that thread bookmarked as well! This is not a good morning for me. :doh:

Playing on the Toilet Roll seed (a massive arctic world that I linked to in that thread) I finally managed to tame a wolf and have it become my sidekick. I had to carve a 1x1 hole next to my front door so he could get through, kind of like a doggie door. :3:

Now all you need is a vertical trapdoor and the ability to train the dog to use it.

I tamed a wolf the other day and happily hopped home followed by the dog until I heard a -sizzle- sound behind me and saw that he'd jumped into my lava moat. Wish animals were smart enough not to do that.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Eh, I just dig a trench 2 squares deep around my base and leave it for zombies/skeletons/creepers to fall into at night. As for spiders, I carve a 1-square deep groove into the walls of the buildings just below the top. That way they get stuck just under the top of my base, and I can hack them with the sword at my leisure.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO
Watching from your roof, seeing half a dozen creepers stampede into the lava moat is fun, though.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Zorak posted:

The reason Notch isn't allowing dynamic lighting set to all torches I'm pretty sure is that it absolutely murders a lot of computers, and given that Minecraft isn't the best optimized thing in the world, that murder would probably be very effective.

"In this update, 30% of all Minecraft players will be no longer be able to play Minecraft at all"

Yeah, I use a simple mod that just makes it so a glow surrounds you if you're holding certain objects and on my old desktop it cuts the FPS from 60 to 40. Doesn't have much effect on this compy but actual dynamic lighting in the game instead of a mod version wouldn't be able to be turned off on slower computers.

As far as I'm aware, no dynamic light mods are able to do things like make it so you standing next to dirt blocks in an otherwise dark room for a bit with a bright light held will allow grass to spread onto them from a lighter area. Vanilla having dynamic lights would have to be able to do that, and it couldn't really be a disableable feature anymore than Vanilla can allow you to disable time passing.

Commodore Clipclop
Sep 16, 2009

It is uncouth to allow horses on sailing vessels.
You can actually easily have the dynamic light graphic effect toggle, and still have the grass growing effect by having the torches still provide mechanical light vs actual graphical light

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Commodore Clipclop posted:

You can actually easily have the dynamic light graphic effect toggle, and still have the grass growing effect by having the torches still provide mechanical light vs actual graphical light

Yes but then you have the same overhead in processing. Whether the dynamic light visuals are on or not, in order to keep the game consistent, especially on multiplayer, the game must either function as if the light rendering was always on (and thus always have the extra processing overhead that slows down many systems) OR dynamic light has to be a graphical effect only and thus is unable to affect anything beyond what your first or third person view looks like.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Commodore Clipclop posted:

The dynamically updating the light levels of each block is the mechanical part. The visual rendering of each block and their light level is the visual part. Dynamic Lighting using the light levels is the problem. Mods can either add that(LAAAG) or just add visual light, in which would not have as much lag if any but would just be cosmetic.

Basically, if Mojang did dynamic lighting, they would do it right, and therefor it would lag. Mods can be popular and do it 'wrong', while not causing lag.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
And I think it's important to note that no matter how well coded it would be, it would necessarily slow down the game on slower computers. It's added work that needs to be done.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

ThndrShk2k posted:

The dynamically updating the light levels of each block is the mechanical part. The visual rendering of each block and their light level is the visual part. Dynamic Lighting using the light levels is the problem. Mods can either add that(LAAAG) or just add visual light, in which would not have as much lag if any but would just be cosmetic.

Basically, if Mojang did dynamic lighting, they would do it right, and therefor it would lag. Mods can be popular and do it 'wrong', while not causing lag.

I can't think of any reason to care about the mechanical side of things though for torches held in your hand or thrown on the ground. The mechanical effects of light are simply affecting growth of plants and the spawning of monsters. On plants, would it matter if a held torch didn't cause grass to grow? It takes a while anyway so you'd want to place torches down manually anyway instead of standing around to watch, And for monsters, mobs can't spawn in a 24 block radius of the player anyway, so mechanical light on torches wouldn't have any additional effect on mob spawns.

People just want dynamic light so they can see better in dark areas.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Reveilled posted:

People just want dynamic light so they can see better in dark areas.

Yeah, but Mojang(notch) is incredibly spergy about those things. Torch item causing light would be more than 25 blocks away, in which would have to prevent spawning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

How could a torch item causing light be more than 25 blocks away if it is held in your hand?