Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Dr Snofeld posted:

Something for Fable 3 that I just realised:

You can repair all your properties at once from the main world map, you don't have to select each house individually and repair them that way.

SON OF A BITCH

I swear I looked for this. How do you do this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Gharbad the Weak posted:

SON OF A BITCH

I swear I looked for this. How do you do this?

On the world map, make sure nothing is highlighted and then Repair All should appear on the bottom right. It's the 5 key on PC. It only appears if at least one of your properties is below a certain damage threshold - I think it's 90%.

meme
Oct 7, 2009

But it's a pretty good way to get someone to spend money on buying you an av and sig. Maybe I should be really obnoxious and get an upgrade myself

Moral of the story: be careful what you wish for.

You are welcome.
drat. Well, disregard that last, I've not played it since it came out and I marathoned it

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

I'm installing Shogun 2 for the first time. Any tips for someone who is already well versed in the Total War series?

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

I notice that there are alternate paths in Castlevania: Lord of Shadow in the Swamp Level.

Does this trend continue? And what am I likely to miss out on by taking one path and sticking to it?

meme
Oct 7, 2009

But it's a pretty good way to get someone to spend money on buying you an av and sig. Maybe I should be really obnoxious and get an upgrade myself

You are welcome.

Enigma posted:

I'm installing Shogun 2 for the first time. Any tips for someone who is already well versed in the Total War series?

If you're starting a game as one of the "easy" factions (Shimazu, Chosokabe) build a trade port as quickly as possible and lay claim to as many trade points (visible on the map) as you can. This will provide a good base of income, but can lead to conflict, if you monopolise them.

Careful about building Nanban trade ports, they convert the populace to christianity at a rate of +5 a turn. make sure you counterbalance that with buddhist buldings, or convert to christianity, in order to keep public order.

At a certain point the "Realm divide" will happen. this is sort of analogous to the gaius marius reforms. basically after this point the whole of japan will turn against you at once. keep an eye on the meter which shows your clan "fame"- when it fills it'll happen.

Other than that, if you've played TW before, you know.

Edit: try to grab the far northern trade poitn quickly, as it usually takes the masamune clan a while to get it, despite it being right next to their start region. It provides iron, neccesary for building improvements and advanced units.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Dr Snofeld posted:

On the world map, make sure nothing is highlighted and then Repair All should appear on the bottom right. It's the 5 key on PC. It only appears if at least one of your properties is below a certain damage threshold - I think it's 90%.

That feature wasn't in the console version. :/

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Kin posted:

That feature wasn't in the console version. :/

My condolences then. The PC versions is a pretty good port, all told. Except for that "hold the button for five seconds to do anything" thing.

meme
Oct 7, 2009

You are welcome.

Dr Snofeld posted:

My condolences then. The PC versions is a pretty good port, all told. Except for that "hold the button for five seconds to do anything" thing.

And the entirely dumb minigame controls. Unless there's a way to change this.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Centipeed posted:

I notice that there are alternate paths in Castlevania: Lord of Shadow in the Swamp Level.

Does this trend continue? And what am I likely to miss out on by taking one path and sticking to it?

Sort of. But it gets better after chapter 3. You can replay the level to get anything you missed. The game will tell what you didn't do in each level.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
Final Fantasy X-2 again.

Are there any dress spheres/classes I shouldn't bother using? What are the better dress spheres I should be working on? Is there any mission or side quest in particular that I should aim for? Should I bother with the coin sphere mini game in Luca (it's so drat boring)?

I just started to play and I'm avoiding pushing the plot along before I wrap up some of the side quests. Right now I'm avoiding Zanarkand and Besaid for the simple fact that they look like they are plot related. Will it matter which I pick? So many questions.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

gohuskies posted:

I am about an hour into Deus Ex HR and would love advice on recommend augs, weapons, and tactics.

People tend to have difficulty with the boss-fights but there's an easy method to them, it's stun/unload. There's an inordinate amount of things that will stun bosses, chucking stuff at them (barrels, boxes, etc.), using practically any sort of grenade or explosive will cause them to stumble for a bit, (gas, EMP, and concussion grenades will knock them out for awhile), the stun-gun, and P.E.P.S. will also have them reeling.
In other words, practically everything stuns bosses in some way or another and almost every single one of them have some sort of environmental crap to mess around with to stun them as well. Stunning bosses is the key to success, anything that stuns them AND does damage will have them dead in no time, this is why the explosive Revolver is the easiest weapon to kill them with.

Simply stun them and then shoot an entire clip into their face, keep your distance and know where they are, if you don't want to spend the extra Praxis point on the X-ray vision dingus aug, you can upgrace your radar to show them on map regardless of whether or not they're stealthed which will do the trick.

itrorev
Sep 22, 2006
Here are some Deus Ex: Human Revolution tips:

-Because of the way the goofy energy system was implemented, it's more efficient to run around most of the game with that last (recharging) battery. Don't replenish your energy until you reach a moment when you really need more than one battery, otherwise if you start eating those Cyberboost bars as soon as find em you're going to end up wasting your energy doing mundane things like punching through walls or taking out lone low-risk enemies.

-Hacking is generally a good investment regardless of your play style. And even if you have a keycode, hacking the terminal is better as it will give additional experience points as well as possibly give bonus credits, Nuke/Stop Worm software, etc. Eventually try to put at least 3 points in Capture because most terminals in the game are level 3 or below. Combined with Nuke and Worm Stop software should get you into most of the games terminals.

-The only hacking enhancing aug you really need is Hacking Stealth. When maxed out it makes the Fortify aug and Analyze aug redundant as you should have no problem hacking the hell out of any terminal you find. If you take the time to capture datastores you'll end up with plenty of Nuke and Stop Worm software to use in the more difficult hacks.

-If you want to do get the most out of physical exploration you'll need the following augs:
1)Jump aug (for reaching high places)
2)Heavy lifting Aug (for moving heavy objects that are blocking hidden routes, or using said heavy object as a stepping stool to reach higher places)
3)Punch through Wall aug (lets you access hidden areas that typically contain goodies. *Not absolutely required as weak walls can be destroyed with explosives. However, having this aug will highlight these weakened walls an make them easier to find. Otherwise the weakened walls are very hard to spot, you can pass by them dozens of times and never notice)
4)Icarus Landing aug (Some hidden routes are only possible if you have this aug. And plus It sucks killing an entire base of mooks only to splatter on the ground when you miscalculate a jump...)

-The Typhoon Explosive aug is the strongest weapon in the game. When fully upgraded it'll kill everything, and I mean everything. Giant robot ruining your day? Typhoon that bitch. It'll even inflict huge amounts of damage onto bosses. Only downside is it's short range.

-Save a couple EMP grenades for boss fights, as they really come in handy.

-The 10mm pistol isn't terribly impressive at first, but once upgraded it becomes a a deadly assassination tool that makes little noise and is pinpoint accurate. Just aim for the head!

-You'll always get more experience points for user non-lethal methods. The attack the gives the most experience is the non-lethal takedown: 50xp per enemy, and 125xp if you take out two with the reflex booster aug.

-If you have the Heavy Lifting aug, you can break some doors by throwing heavy objects at them. (Didn't figure this one out until my second play through)

-Midway through the game in Heng-sha, you'll encounter a minor plot point in which you are encouraged to head over to the LIMB clinic to fix something via surgery. DO NOT DO IT.

itrorev fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Sep 3, 2011

Opus125
Jul 29, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I have beaten all the worlds in Shatter. (Took me two hours.) I am attempting to go for all the non co-op achievements. How feasible are they?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

itrorev posted:

-You'll always get more experience points for user non-lethal methods. The attack the gives the most experience is the non-lethal takedown: 50xp per enemy, and 125xp if you take out two with the reflex booster aug.

The reflex aug is a handy one to have in general, especially if you're trying to be stealthy. That way when you find two guards standing next to each other talking, you can just take them both out at once instead of waiting for them to split up and doing it one by one, or trying to quickly stun one and then take down the other.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

The reflex aug is a handy one to have in general, especially if you're trying to be stealthy. That way when you find two guards standing next to each other talking, you can just take them both out at once instead of waiting for them to split up and doing it one by one, or trying to quickly stun one and then take down the other.

On the other hand, I found the Stealth aug to be pretty much useless and completely unnecessary to take.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Mr E posted:

On the other hand, I found the Stealth aug to be pretty much useless and completely unnecessary to take.

Yeah, I didn't get a ton of use out of it. The noise detector is useless, since if you're any good you'll just be crouching everywhere you think enemies are going to be anyway. And the cone of vision thing sounds helpful, but I found that it just looked like a muddled mess on the radar, I couldn't really tell who was looking where. Especially once you get the upgraded radar that makes it full of tiny dots.

As for mark and track, why do that when you can just see through walls?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

To stress how well balanced Deus Ex is, you can play the thing without spending a single loving praxis point and you don't feel like you're severely handicapped. The bosses are challenging at first but they all have little tricks or tells: just toss barrels at them and keep moving. The third guy can actually be one-hit killed by just punching him in the face.

You're not punished for taking any kind of upgrade. If a heavy object is blocking a vent then there's probably another vent that leads to relatively the same area and the other side is guaranteed to not be blocked meaning you still get the +100xp. You get more xp for silent takedowns but the game will have you rolling in experience just for completing the main quest. Don't feel like you're missing something because you took X over Y because the game will compensate for you. Jensen starts off powerful; leveling him up just makes him even more so (but no, you can't play this like a straight shooter you'll get your rear end kicked even with 45% damage resistance). Human Revolution is very well designed in this aspect.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

itrorev posted:

Here are some Deus Ex: Human Revolution tips:
-Midway through the game in Heng-sha

I would say this is a spoiler. I thought it was pretty obvious what you needed to do.

al-azad posted:

The third guy can actually be one-hit killed by just punching him in the face.

Probably the wrong place to ask but I'm curious about this. I even checked some boss strategies online and found nothing about it.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Sep 4, 2011

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Mr E posted:

The main drawback of the stealth aug is that it burns energy too fast. The best use I found of it is to get out of sticky situations by just sprinting past a guard or two or put it on then dodge between obstacles if a guard just refuses to look away.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Mayor McCheese posted:

Final Fantasy X-2 again.

Are there any dress spheres/classes I shouldn't bother using? What are the better dress spheres I should be working on?

I don't remember a whole lot but the Dark Knight sphere is extremely powerful on it's own stat-wise and, when paired with an alchemist to heal, almost game breaking with the Darkness class ability.

EDIT: I would strongly suggest not using it the first time through the game as it makes the other combat classes seem mostly redundant. Still pick it up though. The earliest you can get it is in chapter 2 (i think, you have a couple of chances) in Bevelle's sewer/underground (Not the 100 floor dungeon)

GloomMouse fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Sep 4, 2011

al-azad
May 28, 2009

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Probably the wrong place to ask but I'm curious about this. I even checked some boss strategies online and found nothing about it.

A friend playing the Xbox version told me about it. I haven't tried it myself but there is a glitched corner (you can see the corner here, spoilers obviously) where he just stands there and won't approach. You can run directly at him and he won't counter your takedown. Alternatively you can toss frag mines into the room before triggering the cutscene. Both methods are cheap (and the guy isn't too unreasonably challenging if you use heavy cover) but they're there for the frustrated among you. There's plenty of ammo in boss rooms. Plenty.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

itrorev posted:

3)Punch through Wall aug (lets you access hidden areas that typically contain goodies. *Not absolutely required as weak walls can be destroyed with explosives. However, having this aug will highlight these weakened walls an make them easier to find. Otherwise the weakened walls are very hard to spot, you can pass by them dozens of times and never notice)

Okay, so I'm halfway through the second hub and I don't think I've ever seen a breakable wall, and I've searched all over the goddamn place. I assume I've missed several by now then. Gonna buy that aug.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Zushio posted:

Okay, so I'm halfway through the second hub and I don't think I've ever seen a breakable wall, and I've searched all over the goddamn place. I assume I've missed several by now then. Gonna buy that aug.

I'm only about 2/3rds of the way through and I have been punching tons of walls and finding all sorts of shortcuts and loot. It's a must-have aug, in my opinion.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

gohuskies posted:

I'm only about 2/3rds of the way through and I have been punching tons of walls and finding all sorts of shortcuts and loot. It's a must-have aug, in my opinion.

I'm not going to lie, I'm pretty much just have fun ghosting past everybody and stealing everything not nailed down. And leaving people's refrigerators on their beds.

Also, I can not possible recommend Gas grenades enough for knocking out dudes in small rooms with hackable objects.

Zushio fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Sep 4, 2011

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
I'm also about halfway through to the game and it seems the poo poo behind breakable walls is usually good quality too. Weapon mods etc, and even got a Praxis once. Must-have augmentation indeed.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I like the Icarus landing system and breaking walls so much.
Strolling around , punching walls and jumping from buildings into fastfood stands.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
In Deus Ex what reward do you get for doing the sidequest in the first hub for the undercover cop? I did all the objectives (I think) and didn't get seen in the gang territory but I ended up getting only 750 dollars. Did I gently caress up some of the other stuff like miss some evidence in his apartment or if you want an actual reward are you supposed to side with the dirty cop? I didn't give her back the crossbow to be fair, it wouldn't let me because I modded it I think.

DarkDude98
Jul 22, 2007
I played 5 hours into Mass Effect 1 a couple of years ago now and stopped playing on the first planet you get to pick from. Is it worth going back and finishing Mass Effect 1 before jumping into 2? Not sure if I would be able to pick up from that save due to not remembered what's going on so would most likely start from the beginning of Mass Effect 1 but part of me just wants to go straight into Mass Effect 2.

How much would I miss out on story wise and decision wise for skipping the first?

freeforumuser
Aug 11, 2007

DarkDude98 posted:

I played 5 hours into Mass Effect 1 a couple of years ago now and stopped playing on the first planet you get to pick from. Is it worth going back and finishing Mass Effect 1 before jumping into 2? Not sure if I would be able to pick up from that save due to not remembered what's going on so would most likely start from the beginning of Mass Effect 1 but part of me just wants to go straight into Mass Effect 2.

How much would I miss out on story wise and decision wise for skipping the first?

You don't really miss anything plot-wise since ME2 tells you the past events anyway. There's also a ME1 save import generator out there that allows you to get gameplay benefits in ME2 without playing ME1.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

The first game is very flawed (and this is coming from a big fan) but very much worth playing really.
Just don't play it for the combat; get a character with biotics.

ME2 is a great game but there are many things the first game does better then it and the last 2.5hours of the game is one of the coolest drat endings to a videogame setpiece wise.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

DarkDude98 posted:

If you want to enjoy and appreciate the story of the trilogy, definitely play through the first game at least once (you can even roll through it on Casual difficulty if you don't like the combat).
The sidequests in 1 can become a bit repetitive and you don't really need to do them (although some of them are fun too), so feel free to skip those. At best, some of the minor sidequests have a little callback that basically consists of a single email in 2.
Starting 2 without importing a savegame (or creating a modified one) is really underwhelming with regards to some characters and main storyline decisions though, so you should always do that when you start a ME2 playthrough anyway.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

freeforumuser posted:

You don't really miss anything plot-wise since ME2 tells you the past events anyway.

I don't really agree with that...I mean the game gives you the bare bones of what you need to know to understand what's going on, but I found that playing through the first game first really helped me appreciate the plot of the second a lot more (or at least the parts that weren't about the collectors, which to be fair was most of the plot). I feel like playing through the first game will give you a better understanding of what the reapers are, and why you should be afraid of them, as well as why everyone's mad at humans and what all the alien species are about.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

thebardyspoon posted:

In Deus Ex what reward do you get for doing the sidequest in the first hub for the undercover cop? I did all the objectives (I think) and didn't get seen in the gang territory but I ended up getting only 750 dollars. Did I gently caress up some of the other stuff like miss some evidence in his apartment or if you want an actual reward are you supposed to side with the dirty cop? I didn't give her back the crossbow to be fair, it wouldn't let me because I modded it I think.

You got less because you didn't turn in the crossbow. You get 3,000 for helping the perp get away. If you have CASIE you can ask him for a down payment (I think it's 1,000) when you first meet him and he tells you where the weapon is.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Anything for Tactics Ogre: Knight of Lodis, the GBA one?

UberChair
Jan 8, 2008

This club is borin' the crap outta me!
Any advice for System Shock 2? I just got into Crew Quarters and I'm trying out a hacking build. Have 2 in Hack, 1 in Repair, and the Melee Damage OS upgrade thing. I've just been whacking baddies with the wrench so far and it's been going pretty well.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

AFAIK, there's a glitch with bosses where if you can get them in their "staggered" state you can take them down for a quick and easy kill. The third boss likes to hop over the walls in the room a lot and from what I can tell him hopping a wall counts as his staggered/non-boss state, so you can just run up and pop him after he does that.

UberChair fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Sep 5, 2011

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

UberChair posted:

Any advice for System Shock 2? I just got into Crew Quarters and I'm trying out a hacking build. Have 2 in Hack, 1 in Repair, and the Melee Damage OS upgrade thing. I've just been whacking baddies with the wrench so far and it's been going pretty well.

There are only a very few OS Upgrades that are worth a drat, and you picked the best of them already. The (very close) second-best, in my opinion, is the one that allows you to equip two implants.

Maintenance is a great skill, probably the best; don't waste modules on Repair that you could be putting into Maintenance. Repair really is only useful maybe two or three times outside of fixing weapons (which actually shouldn't break, if you're maintaining them properly), and there are rare auto-successful-repair items that can be used in those situations. Modify is another skill obviated by items, but one or two points will see you through the game. Research can get you some nice new toys to play with; always hold on to the researcher implant. Improving your Hack skill is always worth it.

Pick a weapon group and stick with it, barring a level or so in Exotic (Annelid) weapons, which will be unlocked later on. The Assault Rifle rocks, and Standard weapons as a whole are a very solid set, especially if you're good at conserving ammunition so that you have it when you need it. The Grenade Launcher is pretty much the only good Heavy Weapon, but it's so goddamn versatile. Energy weapons are slightly less useful overall, but you basically never have to worry about ammunition, especially once you load up on — you guessed it — Maintenance.

Strength is probably the most effective stat, and unless you're making a PSI character, you can forget about PSI. Cyber-Affinity becomes very useful late in the game, as does Endurance.

If you're not playing on Hard, you should have enough cyber modules to spread around, but spend wisely nonetheless.

I basically never play PSI characters, so I can't help there, but many people say it's the only way to fly.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Is there a recommended early-game progression with Mass Effect 2 as there was with the first? I'm at a point where I can either recruit the Convict, recruit the Krogan (I WONDER WHO IT IS?!) or go to the Citadel to get cooking supplies for my mess officer.

Can I do them in any order?

unleash the unicorn
Dec 23, 2004

If this boat were sinking, I'd give my life to save you. Only because I like you, for reasons and standards of my own. But I couldn't and wouldn't live for you.

Centipeed posted:

Is there a recommended early-game progression with Mass Effect 2 as there was with the first? I'm at a point where I can either recruit the Convict, recruit the Krogan (I WONDER WHO IT IS?!) or go to the Citadel to get cooking supplies for my mess officer.

This really is being discussed in extenso in the ME mega thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Centipeed posted:

It's not really important in ME2 (unless you want to take specific characters into specific missions for whatever reason). The main storyline missions will pop up after you've done a certain number of recruitment (and side-) missions, but doing them in a specific order doesn't affect the main storyline or any dialogues at all.

Pretty much the only thing I'd recommend doing at a specific point is the Arrival DLC, and I'd save that until you're done with the entire ME2 main storyline, as it ends up being a bit silly if done before that.

EDIT: Also, the usual ME2 advice; If you want to get the 'best' possible ending, make sure to finish any mission and assignment you want done before you attend a certain mission with the word "IFF" in the title.

Burning Mustache fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Sep 5, 2011