Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

1997 posted:

Well, there's a few apps that will let you modify what shows up in launchpad without deleting the app. The names are escaping me right now though...

Edit: Launchpad-Control is one, I just realized I had it downloaded.

Personally, if I need to get 3rd party software to make the system work the way I want, I either learn to love the system or don't use that portion altogether. Sometimes it's painful (I loving hate Spotlight), but I'm constantly on different machines and I don't want to rely on something that isn't part of the OS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morven
Aug 8, 2011
Launchpad, in its current incarnation, has "not for use by knowledgable Mac users" written all over it. It's for the newbies who couldn't ever find an application if it wasn't in the Dock, before; it's for those who liked an iPad and bought a Mac because of it.

It's possible it will get better in time.

And yes, if one has Adobe CS5 installed it becomes hilariously useless. Way too many little crap apps like uninstallers.

I suspect Apple's idea of fixing it is making Adobe not do that.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

1997 posted:

Well, there's a few apps that will let you modify what shows up in launchpad without deleting the app. The names are escaping me right now though...

Thanks for the link. I might give this a shot, but honestly I'd rather just wait until Apple fixes it (or doesn't). I launch my apps through Spotlight 99% of the time, and even then 99% of THOSE apps are in my dock, so I'm not even sure why I'm trying to come up with a reason to use Launchpad other than it's there.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Martytoof posted:

Thanks for the link. I might give this a shot, but honestly I'd rather just wait until Apple fixes it (or doesn't). I launch my apps through Spotlight 99% of the time, and even then 99% of THOSE apps are in my dock, so I'm not even sure why I'm trying to come up with a reason to use Launchpad other than it's there.

Yeah, I just use Alfred for everything, I really only use launchpad when I can't remember the name of something...

If you guys/gals aren't using Alfred, a pretty cool feature is the ability to control iTunes. So if you're in full-screen Safari (for example), you can just press option-command-enter, and you can pick a song or album or see what's currently playing among other things!

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Alright, I figure you guys might get a kick out of this. I was messing around a bit in /Applications, and had a considerable amount of items selected when I accidentally hit enter. Powerless to do anything as my computer dutifully launched 20 apps, I decided instead to wait because I was curious to see what Mission Control would do with that many apps.

The results were predictable, so I decided to do it one better: I launched every application I could think of:

It gets quite crowded, though I'm fairly confident it managed to squeeze everything in there. Note that Mission Control isn't smart enough to stop showing individual windows after a certain point; if you look closely, you can see single white pixels which are the windows. Though they look like the belong on the background, you can see (for instance) a few "stars" on the planet in the upper left corner.

Mission Control, it seems, didn't take to kindly to being abused, and waited until I switched to a fullscreen app to take its revenge:

I had to relog to get it to go away.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

carry on then posted:

"Chicken of the VNC" is the best app name I've ever seen

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Sep 5, 2011

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
Does anyone know of any software that will allow me to change the Dashboard key on my Late 2008 MBP to work with Launchpad instead? Dashboard is completely disabled on my machine since I never use it. My friend has a new MBP with a dedicated Launchpad button and I think I might use it more if I had a button for it. Maybe.

Mex
Nov 23, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Stare-Out posted:

Launchpad on the other hand is completely useless, and making App Store apps go there instead of the Dock was a pretty dumb choice if you ask me.

If it becomes anything like the iPhone/iPad, apps would soon overflow from the Dock and cause a lot of headaches, some people go overboard with installing new apps (me, I got like 400 apps now).

Launchpad is like a very small improvement from just going to the Apps folder, but eh, it's nice. Mission Control is just awesome, however.

Personally I like the Launchpad, it's great for quickly launching stuff and little programs like Yoink and all those. Just move all your most used programs to the first page, make the 4 finger gesture, launch. I guess it saves one click from going to the Applications folder, and also looks less cluttered than the icons in the Apps folder.

Mex
Nov 23, 2004

by Fistgrrl

1997 posted:

Oh man, thanks for this, Launchpad doesn't erase programs installed through Steam and I hope this fixes that! I made a folder just for "Trash" in Launchpad because of that : p

I'll try it and hope it removes all those non-existing games now, thanks for the link =)

edit: Yikes, it scared me a bit, it erased everything that was in a Folder : s

But I clicked restore database or whatever that's called and it worked fine then =)

Mex fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Sep 5, 2011

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Nobody cared the two times I posted about Launchpad-Control, now somebody else brings it up and it's getting all this attention. :(

The problem I've had with it is that everything I hide just reappears whenever I restart my computer.

AmbassadorTaxicab
Sep 6, 2010

In Lion, does iChat pick up MSN buddies added to a Yahoo account?

edit: I just want to talk to them!

AmbassadorTaxicab fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Sep 5, 2011

Mex
Nov 23, 2004

by Fistgrrl

AmbassadorTaxicab posted:

In Lion, does iChat pick up MSN buddies added to a Yahoo account?

edit: I just want to talk to them!

Sorry I don't know, but if you just want to text them, have you tried Trillian? It's what I use now for IM on the Mac.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Morven posted:

I suspect Apple's idea of fixing it is making Adobe not do that.

Preferably by purchasing the company and putting in competent executives.

Morven
Aug 8, 2011

mllaneza posted:

Preferably by purchasing the company and putting in competent executives.

Not really Apple's style, though; they don't seem to go for buying large companies, just small ones for the talent, product or whatever, that they rapidly assimilate.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
Why the hell does my mounted drives disappear when I drag them to the sidebar. I can drag them there, and then the instantly go away. I've been trying to see if I unticked some "Show mounted drives" option in the settings, but nope. :(

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008

Morven posted:

Not really Apple's style, though; they don't seem to go for buying large companies, just small ones for the talent, product or whatever, that they rapidly assimilate.

Apple Photoshop: 100 dollars, all of the features you need, none of the features pros wanted.

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh
Well I just found out the ls included in OS X isn't the GNU version which is why the option --color=auto doesn't work. And it seems the only way to install the GNU version is macports which I heard sucks. Is there another way to get it, or perhaps even a workaround to --color=auto?

Nuntius
May 7, 2004

(not a fag)
(Launchpad) Or you could stick all the apps you don't want to see in the last screen, in folders if needed, and never see them

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

Ziir posted:

Well I just found out the ls included in OS X isn't the GNU version which is why the option --color=auto doesn't work. And it seems the only way to install the GNU version is macports which I heard sucks. Is there another way to get it, or perhaps even a workaround to --color=auto?

How does 'ls -G' work for you? Otherwise, Homebrew probably has it in a package somewhere, or you could just compile up your own.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Mex posted:

Launchpad stuff
Yeah, I guess I didn't think about people who install loads of apps or have a crowded Dock. v:shobon:v I still prefer having the Applications folder on the Dock, though.

Also whenever I get something from the App Store, it automatically goes to the second page of Launchpad, even if there's room on the first page, which is annoying. Is there any way to move more than one app at a time to another page in Launcpad? I don't see any way to select more than one app at a time.

strokevictim
Oct 9, 2000

dazjw posted:

How does 'ls -G' work for you? Otherwise, Homebrew probably has it in a package somewhere, or you could just compile up your own.

It should work fine. Works here, at least.

Ziir, read the man page for ls, it will point you in the right direction if you need to tweak things.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Ziir posted:

alias ls='ls -G'

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
It looks to me like I'm missing 20 gigs of space on my new Macbook Pro..my user folder is reported as 83.55GB in size, but the sum of all of the folders inside is 62GB. I've had the computer for less than a week, the only thing I did was copy my iTunes library off of my dead black Macbook's hard drive. Is there any way to force a re-scan of my free space, maybe some files didn't get deleted properly or something?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

GobiasIndustries posted:

It looks to me like I'm missing 20 gigs of space on my new Macbook Pro..my user folder is reported as 83.55GB in size, but the sum of all of the folders inside is 62GB. I've had the computer for less than a week, the only thing I did was copy my iTunes library off of my dead black Macbook's hard drive. Is there any way to force a re-scan of my free space, maybe some files didn't get deleted properly or something?

Do you have invisible files/folders taking up space?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Stare-Out posted:

Is there any way to move more than one app at a time to another page in Launcpad? I don't see any way to select more than one app at a time.
This is my main gripe with it really, it's just a pain in the rear end to organize a bunch of apps. One thing I haven't tried yet (and can't now cause I'm not on my Mac) is holding down on an icon to make them wiggle, then shift clicking to select multiple icons...I'm guessing it doesn't work but it's worth a shot.

GobiasIndustries posted:

I'd guess there's something in the root of your home folder that's invisible to the Finder, which could explain why the folders you checked were 20GB short. If you're comfortable with the Terminal you could do a quick check to see what else is there, otherwise there's GUI apps like (I think) Grand Perspective and some others out there, which show you where chunks of data are.

Mex
Nov 23, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Stare-Out posted:

Is there any way to move more than one app at a time to another page in Launcpad? I don't see any way to select more than one app at a time.

Looks like the only way is to move 1 app at a time, if anyone knows of an alternative, please post

Shift/Alt/CMD combinations don't work for selecting more than one app (when they're wiggling either), just tried it.

In iOS you can manage apps via iTunes, but OSX doesn't seem to have a way to easily move a bunch of apps or to manage the order :(

Ziir
Nov 20, 2004

by Ozmaugh

dazjw posted:

strokevictim posted:

Ziir, read the man page for ls, it will point you in the right direction if you need to tweak things.

Bob Morales posted:

alias ls='ls -G'

Thanks guys. I wanted to go with gnu ls cause I wanted to just make one bashrc file I could throw on all my computers, but I just ended up writing an 'if osx then alias=ls -G' instead of --color=auto which seems much easier and more universal (if I were to get a new Mac for example).

On an unrelated note, has anyone noticed that switching spaces with ctrl+arrow or four finger swipe is a hell of a lot slower than switching with ctrl+number (which randomly decides to not work)?

strokevictim
Oct 9, 2000

Ziir posted:

Thanks guys. I wanted to go with gnu ls cause I wanted to just make one bashrc file I could throw on all my computers, but I just ended up writing an 'if osx then alias=ls -G' instead of --color=auto which seems much easier and more universal (if I were to get a new Mac for example).

On an unrelated note, has anyone noticed that switching spaces with ctrl+arrow or four finger swipe is a hell of a lot slower than switching with ctrl+number (which randomly decides to not work)?

I've noticed it. Not sure why it is, though.

As for the randomly deciding to not work using Ctrl+Number, it might be that the frontmost app at the time you attempt it has a Ctrl+Number shortcut set up. Opera is like this with anything from Ctrl+5 on up. It will open the various Panels for bookmarks, chats, history, etc.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I just got a Macbook air and after reading the OP I assume that the only way to reformat and reset the system to factory defaults is to download a Lion client and make your own backup?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I just got a Macbook air and after reading the OP I assume that the only way to reformat and reset the system to factory defaults is to download a Lion client and make your own backup?
You hold command+R at boot to load the recovery software at it installs automagically.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

You hold command+R at boot to load the recovery software at it installs automagically.

So you don't need any media to boot off of?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So you don't need any media to boot off of?

It pulls it out of the aether.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
If you bought the Air new, you shouldn't need to reinstall Lion. It's not like Windows where crapware is installed. It's literally just Lion and iLife apps installed.

If it's used, you may be able to just create a new account and start from scratch.

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem
Is there any way to get comparable multitouch gestures running on a 2011 Macbook Pro in Windows 7?

And why does the Boot Camp 3.3 installation keep failing?

Nuntius
May 7, 2004

(not a fag)
Time Machine Question folks. I just bought a new 2TB drive, and GUID partitioned it into two HFS Journaled 1TB partitions. I want one partition to be the backup of the computer it is connected to - easy enough. The other partition is to be the backup of my girlfriends laptop, done wirelessly (I know this is possible without problems).

What I want to know is, can I plug the disk directly into her computer, have it do it's first backup over USB, and then plug it back into my main computer and have it continue doing the rest over wifi or will it think it is a differnt backup?

(Funny story, when your original backup disk is not big enough and you keep adding things to the exclusion list to get it to fit, in the end you have some system files backed up and a false sense of security)

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

It will work fine, but you might need to reselect the disk when you move it over to wifi. Also, you don't need partitions for each computer. The Time Machine backup is in a sparse image bundle. I have 3 computers backing up to a single 1TB HDD, no partitions.

Nuntius
May 7, 2004

(not a fag)
Thanks. Will Time Machine be smart enough to know that computer A has backups for one month but computer B only gets backed up weekly and when it comes to deleting backups it should delete the oldest of the two, not the oldest of computer B when computer B needs the space?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Not sure if this is the place or not, but I applied to the Genius position and will be interviewed later today. Any advice?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

Nuntius posted:

Thanks. Will Time Machine be smart enough to know that computer A has backups for one month but computer B only gets backed up weekly and when it comes to deleting backups it should delete the oldest of the two, not the oldest of computer B when computer B needs the space?
A Mac's Time Machine will only interact with its own backup folders. That is to say, Mac A's Time Machine will not delete any of Mac B's backups and vice versa. Partitioning may be the best option for you.

You may also want to consider using a third-party backup application like CrashPlan. By design, CrashPlan will not delete backups when the backup drive is full.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

wolffenstein posted:

A Mac's Time Machine will only interact with its own backup folders. That is to say, Mac A's Time Machine will not delete any of Mac B's backups and vice versa. Partitioning may be the best option for you.

You may also want to consider using a third-party backup application like CrashPlan. By design, CrashPlan will not delete backups when the backup drive is full.
I find that both a Time Machine backup and a service, like CrashPlan, is an effective personal backup system. Time Machine covers recent snapshots of data that you're likely to want to recover, and CrashPlan (and others) are for the long haul archival things.

Since Time Machine is free and offsite backup services are cheap and plentiful, it's really hard to justify not doing it.