Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Yoshifan823 posted:

this is really loving expensive

I warned you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

CPL593H posted:

I warned you.

Yup. On the bright side, it's totally worth it. My music sounds five times better on vinyl than on my computer or iPod. Plus, just having it on a physical medium feels good, especially with all the art and stuff that comes with an album, and if you get one of the ones that comes with a free digital download, it's really a better value. Granted, for now most of the stuff I'm gonna end up buying is stuff I have/had for a while, but eventually.

Also, I was really disappointed to see that my single most favorite album of all time (Sam's Town) apparently had a terrible vinyl release, according to the Amazon reviews. It's a really nice looking picture disc, but it apparently sounds terrible, which is a shame.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Love Like Blood posted:

I've been selling records on ebay with my dad for coming up a year now, and it's been a pretty fun and rewarding experience. My dad's collection literally takes up our house (the whole attic, a room, various piles around the place) and he has some stupidly rare stuff but he's forgotten most of what he's got so it's been interesting what he's dug up. I am hoping to get this set up as a proper business eventually, as I'd like to get my dad out of his current job which has caused him some serious bouts of depression over the last ten or so years so he can do something he actually loves. I've also been getting into collecting a lot more recently as well, mostly punk, especially 80's anarcho.

Anyway, to the point! Do many of you use ebay to buy/sell? I would like to hear some tips, or what you think is important when buying on there because I basically went into it blind and hoped it would go okay. I have learned quite a few things but you can never know enough.

I live in Alabama so I try to only use ebay as a buyer when temps are cool enough that my records won't melt in transit. I'd be paranoid about it as a seller, too, because the seller will probably get the blame for warped records. You might know more about packing them to avoid heat than I do if that's possible.

Also, do you guys have Who - My Generation (LP not single), Beatles - With the Beatles, Pink Floyd - Division Bell for sale? Those would finish off my studio discographies for those bands:)

Love Like Blood
Sep 9, 2009

cosmicjim posted:

I live in Alabama so I try to only use ebay as a buyer when temps are cool enough that my records won't melt in transit. I'd be paranoid about it as a seller, too, because the seller will probably get the blame for warped records. You might know more about packing them to avoid heat than I do if that's possible.

Also, do you guys have Who - My Generation (LP not single), Beatles - With the Beatles, Pink Floyd - Division Bell for sale? Those would finish off my studio discographies for those bands:)

I've never really thought about the temperatures I'm sending the records in until you said, I guess it's more of a problem in places other than here in England (it's currently a balmy 14 degrees). We have sent some rather expensive ones to Greece, where it could have been a problem but no problems reported! Have you had trouble before with warping?

I'm pretty sure we have all of those, we sold a copy of My Generation a little while back as well. I'll keep an eye out for those three.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Yes, I've had trouble. I live in Alabama, where it stays 90 degrees+ in the summer. There's no telling how hot it gets on delivery trucks if they stay parked awhile.

Being in England would help a lot. heh.

Too add, My Morning Jacket had to resend out the vinyl to everyone that preordered the special edition of their last album, because they got warped in transit.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

cosmicjim posted:

Too add, My Morning Jacket had to resend out the vinyl to everyone that preordered the special edition of their last album, because they got warped in transit.

Oh hell, I'd forgotten all about that. Should I have gotten mine yet?

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?

Love Like Blood posted:

Anyway, to the point! Do many of you use ebay to buy/sell? I would like to hear some tips, or what you think is important when buying on there because I basically went into it blind and hoped it would go okay. I have learned quite a few things but you can never know enough.

Buying: Search for common misspellings - plenty of sites do it for you

Use Popsike and discogs to judge average title value over the last few months when trying to decide if there's a possible profit to be made.

Use your watchlist extensively and get a phone with an eBay app if you don't already have one so you can bid from anywhere.

Selling: Take a lot of nice pictures, get a soft box for lighting, setup a picture area with a light colored backdrop and use the same area and the same angles every time. Try to get the record to catch the light so the gloss can be seen.

Use a design in your page layout. I try to use a theme that reflects the feel of the album if it's something rare that will get a lot of attention.

Double box anything that sells for over a set amount of money, standard single boxing is too risky for valuable vinyl.

Separate the actual records from the outer sleeves when you pack them so the records don't split through the outer seams during transit. I usually bag the records in clear inner sleeves then put them next to the outer sleeve in a clear resealable LP sleeve.

Seems you already do but for anyone else just starting out, offer international shipping - I had a guy from Russia recently pay huge money for two of my Floyd records and on top of that, didn't flinch at paying $100.00 to have them shipped.

Don't feel like you have to offer a return option, I don't and never have. I just honestly describe every record, conservatively grade, and pack very carefully. I've never had a complaint from a buyer.

edit: I'm not sure I'd use it enough personally but consider getting a nice used Zebra thermal printer and some blank 4x6 thermal label rolls. They integrate perfectly with click n ship, don't have ink to replace, and the labels are self adhesive so less taping.

Owsla fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Sep 5, 2011

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Owsla posted:

Buying: Search for common misspellings - plenty of sites do it for you
whoa this changes things

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
Yeah I've found some really incredible deals using that.

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

I've always tried it the hard way, guessing misspellings and such

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009
I just ordered the NMH set and am now incredibly excited. To those who ordered, did you get asked for a shipping address at checkout? Or does it just ship to whatever is associated with the PayPal account?

Also, to the Boston people here, I checked out In Your Ear (it's on campus and a 15 minute walk from where I live, so my wallet will hate me) and while it was awesome, I would love a store that focused more on new/used indie and punk. In Your Ear had pretty good collection, and I snagged a copy of The Make-Up's In Mass Mind, but I'd love a store that focused more on like post-punk/indie/punk/hardcore/whatever. Does such a place exist?

Tiny Faye
Feb 17, 2005

Are you ready for an ORGAN SOLO?!

LtTennisBall posted:

Also, to the Boston people here, I checked out In Your Ear (it's on campus and a 15 minute walk from where I live, so my wallet will hate me) and while it was awesome, I would love a store that focused more on new/used indie and punk. In Your Ear had pretty good collection, and I snagged a copy of The Make-Up's In Mass Mind, but I'd love a store that focused more on like post-punk/indie/punk/hardcore/whatever. Does such a place exist?

It's called Newbury Comics and there's one on Newbury St. and one in Harvard Sq. Somerville Grooves has a fair bit of stuff in that vein (at a premium) compared to other mostly used stores, but not nearly as good of a selection as Newbies. The majority of the inventory is your standard classic rock fare.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

LtTennisBall posted:

I just ordered the NMH set and am now incredibly excited. To those who ordered, did you get asked for a shipping address at checkout? Or does it just ship to whatever is associated with the PayPal account?

There's also the Armageddon Shop in Harvard Square. They specifically focus on those genres. Also Metal.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

Tiny Faye posted:

It's called Newbury Comics and there's one on Newbury St. and one in Harvard Sq. Somerville Grooves has a fair bit of stuff in that vein (at a premium) compared to other mostly used stores, but not nearly as good of a selection as Newbies. The majority of the inventory is your standard classic rock fare.

I've been to the the Newbury Comics on Newbury St, but I was asking for more used stuff I guess (their used section was really bad, unless I missed it/was looking at the wrong one). Their new vinyl was great though. And yeah I definitely want to check out the Armageddon Shop.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

So does anyone know if Foster the People's album is any good? Like everyone else, they loving haunted me with that goddamn single.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
It's not too bad. It has its moments, and it is definitely a debut album by a band with a lot of potential, but not a lot of direction.

I really hope they aren't a one hit wonder. I have faith in the top 40 again.

Space Faggot
Jun 11, 2009
Does anyone have any suggestions for getting stickers off without ripping the cardboard? I recently got a bunch of great stuff out of various bargain bins and I hate looking at bright orange stickers on everything. Some came off fine but some of them want to ruin the cover.

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded

Space human being posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting stickers off without ripping the cardboard?

Ronsonol lighter fluid. There's a pictorial here: http://lineout.thestranger.com/2008/04/how_to_clean_an_old_album_cover

I use this method all the drat time, works perfectly except for the rare matte cover that'll have a small bit of discoloration. I don't do the razor blade thing, though. Be patient, re-apply fluid instead of ripping the sticker off if it's not coming off easy, don't rub the cover to hard. Voila.

Space Faggot
Jun 11, 2009
Killer, thanks for that. Most of this stuff I spent $1 or less on but I just hate stickers.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.
Here's something cool that I just got in the mail...

Sonic Youth - MASTER=DIK 12"... signed by the whole band?

I don't know anything about the autographs of their authenticity, but it was only $15.

Mr. Stepmom
Feb 20, 2004

But all I get is bitter and a nasty little rash
I have a copy of "In The Grace Of Your Love", the new LP on white vinyl by The Rapture to give away to a fine goon, courtesy of my employer, DFA Records! Email me at kris at dfarecords dot com. US people only, sorry!

EDIT: It's gone. surfingelectrode is the lucky jerk. congrats!

Mr. Stepmom fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Sep 6, 2011

UnoriginalMind
Dec 22, 2007

I Love You

Mr. Stepmom posted:

I have a copy of "In The Grace Of Your Love", the new LP on white vinyl by The Rapture to give away to a fine goon, courtesy of my employer, DFA Records! Email me at kris at dfarecords dot com. US people only, sorry!

You work for DFA. I am screaming with jealousy.

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007

Mr. Stepmom posted:

Hoping you know more since your working at DFA but any news of the LCD Soundsystem Madison Square Garen show coming out on vinyl? Also any info on the Losing My Edge single coming back to the store?

Mr. Stepmom
Feb 20, 2004

But all I get is bitter and a nasty little rash
Losing My Edge is awaiting a restock from our distributor. Should be a week or so.

I don't think the MSG Show will come to vinyl, at least not in its full form. James has been mixing and mastering the audio for some sort of release, though. We'll see!

Harry Privates
Oct 10, 2007

Mr. Stepmom posted:

Losing My Edge is awaiting a restock from our distributor. Should be a week or so.

I don't think the MSG Show will come to vinyl, at least not in its full form. James has been mixing and mastering the audio for some sort of release, though. We'll see!

Yeah I remember reading someone posting on the LCD Facebook page asking about a vinyl release and the response was its coming, so hopefully that happens.

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007
Mr. Stepmom,

Just chiming into say that it's awesome and I am also jealous of you working for DFA. I just ordered the YACHT - Shangri-La vinyl today. Pumped to see the packaging.

Got my Girls - Father, Son, Holy Ghost LP in today. Excellent record and having one of the vinyls white and one black is a nice touch. Also came with a flexi-disc vinyl which I've never had the pleasure of playing before. It's a little harder to get the needle on the square.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:
Out a coin on it.

The other day i bought the first Magnog album whch also had two different colored records innit. One was clear and one was black and it was only $12!

Also MASON I still have those rexx and if you want them you can paypal me at the address you emailed me at with your home address and i can send them ut if you want them (sorry I've been too lazy the past week or two)

Deelon
Sep 18, 2003

Surfingelectrode posted:

Here's something cool that I just got in the mail...

Sonic Youth - MASTER=DIK 12"... signed by the whole band?

I don't know anything about the autographs of their authenticity, but it was only $15.

Each of those were done with the same hand.

Love Like Blood
Sep 9, 2009

Owsla posted:

Sales advice

Thanks for this. I've also been using Collector's Frenzy, which has a database of the winning bids/information from ebay auctions going back a few years which I've found very useful.

Anyway, I thought I'd upload some pictures of my latest and favourite buys:

OFF! - Four EPs
I picked this up at Rebellion Fest in Blackpool after they played (they were loving ace). Unfortunately, when I actually opened it and took it out of the packaging there were duplicate EPs. I've been trying to get a hold of someone to sort out a replacement for about a month now, frustrating.

Nancy Sinatra & Lee Hazelwood
Found this at a market stall in my city centre for £5 I think. I really love the dreamy psychedelic qualities of the Nancy/Lee songs and they sound all the better on vinyl.

Fugazi - Fugazi EP
Picked this up at the same stall for £8. It's one of my favourite punk EPs of all time (along with the Nervous Breakdown EP, Discharge's first, Multi Death Corporations etc.) and what an iconic cover. Pretty sure it's an original, no idea how many made it over the pond.

Frank Turner - England Keep My Bones (green vinyl)
This is Frank's latest album. It came with a CD too, rather than just a download slip which was nice. I've been a big fan of his for a few years, caught him live 5 times now (recommended, his shows are some of the best I've ever seen).

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Peacebone posted:

Mr. Stepmom,

Just chiming into say that it's awesome and I am also jealous of you working for DFA. I just ordered the YACHT - Shangri-La vinyl today. Pumped to see the packaging.

Got my Girls - Father, Son, Holy Ghost LP in today. Excellent record and having one of the vinyls white and one black is a nice touch. Also came with a flexi-disc vinyl which I've never had the pleasure of playing before. It's a little harder to get the needle on the square.

Oh god, I can't wait for that Girls album. I've already listened to it, and I can't wait to actually own the drat thing.

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009
Sooooo...I went to Nuggets yesterday, and though they had some nice stuff, it was definietly expensive. They had a (what seemed to be) orignal copy of Still by Joy Division, but I have no idea if 40 dollars is reasonable for that. Also Lightening Bolt's Hypermagic Mountain for 35.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

Also MASON I still have those rexx and if you want them you can paypal me at the address you emailed me at with your home address and i can send them ut if you want them (sorry I've been too lazy the past week or two)

Cool thanks, brother.

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx
Use the code turntables20 at Insound this week when ordering a turntable to get 20% off. I recommend the Music Hall, Pro-Ject, and Numark models, and the Vestax is great if you can afford it. Stay as far away from the Crosleys as possible.

http://www.insound.com/turntables/all/

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

LtTennisBall posted:

Sooooo...I went to Nuggets yesterday, and though they had some nice stuff, it was definietly expensive. They had a (what seemed to be) orignal copy of Still by Joy Division, but I have no idea if 40 dollars is reasonable for that. Also Lightening Bolt's Hypermagic Mountain for 35.

Well, it's still cheaper than the reissue.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

fozzie dunlop posted:

Use the code turntables20 at Insound this week when ordering a turntable to get 20% off. I recommend the Music Hall, Pro-Ject, and Numark models, and the Vestax is great if you can afford it. Stay as far away from the Crosleys as possible.

drat, this is a good deal for a Canadian. I wish I had extra cash at the moment otherwise I'd be all over this. $90 off a $450 turntable, with only $20 shipping to Canada = better than I've seen anywhere else online.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

fozzie dunlop posted:

Holy poo poo some of those Crosleys are expensive. Their profit margins are huge.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

fozzie dunlop posted:

I have the Music Hall USB-1 and I think it's great. It's my first table, and I bought it because it seemed like a good value for my budget at the time. Looking back, I have no real need for a USB connection, as every new vinyl I've bought comes with a download code, and any of the older vinyl I have, I either already have a digital version, or I don't want one. If I had known that before I bought it, I might have gone for a different one. Still, it's a really nice table for the money, in my n00b opinion.

Dancing Potato
May 21, 2007

CPL593H posted:

Well, it's still cheaper than the reissue.

I got the crazy-rear end bound reissue of Still for 11.99 in an Amazon blow-out sale. :c00lbert:

LtTennisBall
Apr 5, 2009

Dancing Potato posted:

I got the crazy-rear end bound reissue of Still for 11.99 in an Amazon blow-out sale. :c00lbert:

I might go spend forty bucks on it...but I haven't even been to some of the other stores and that's a lot of money......

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DirtyCheeseburgers
Apr 15, 2003

College Slice
A friend of mine sent me this website Popmarket today. Different vinyl deals every day - I got the Slayer box set for $99 this morning. I've seen it in stores here for $250+ so definitely worth checking, cause that's a crazy deal. They've also got the 3 new Pearl Jam reissues for $45 and other stuff for cheap.

The last thing I bought was Lucinda Williams when my favourite record store closed (sigh), but I do love me some Slayer. Excited for it to show up.