Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YamataNoOrochi
Oct 24, 2005

Artix74 posted:

So what the hell are the actual victory conditions of Midori battle on day 3 of DSO? After you attack Beldr and can't do poo poo, the condition changes to "MC and Midori must escape." Knowing this was coming, I purposefully had the MC near the south end and Midori switched with Yuzu so she was much closer to the exit. On the second or so turn, I had both Midori and the MC out of there, and Keisuke eventually made it as well. Atsuro and Yuzu did both get killed, but the victory condition didn't say poo poo about them. It's just pissing me off because I've failed this mission multiple times and this time I actually had done what they wanted me to, and then when Yuzu got killed a turn before she would have escaped it came up as mission failed.

I just beat this yesterday. Midori absolutely has to escape. So does your last character in the stage, regardless of if the others died or escaped. I kept the MC sitting on the exit square furthest from Beldr until everyone else had either gotten clear or died, then escaped on his next turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
Thanks for the answers to my earlier questions! Now I have a question about a specific battle, which I'm thinking is probably a general roadblock for people playing this [Last day 3 battle spoilers] Beldr is a dick. Any tips for this battle? I seem to be constantly petrified / shattered and I don't see a way to stop myself from being affected by statuses. I can get at most two hits off on Beldr if I'm lucky but even then it's hard.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

DeathBySpoon posted:

Thanks for the answers to my earlier questions! Now I have a question about a specific battle, which I'm thinking is probably a general roadblock for people playing this [Last day 3 battle spoilers] Beldr is a dick. Any tips for this battle? I seem to be constantly petrified / shattered and I don't see a way to stop myself from being affected by statuses. I can get at most two hits off on Beldr if I'm lucky but even then it's hard.

Fuse a kishin demon, you have one available, looks kinda like a big red elephant, I forget the name, the other demon has to be something with evil wave, with those 2 demons its a matter of using your dudes to block beldr while the MC attacks TWICE from a square away. He goes down pretty fast like that, you just gotta watch out for his back-up, they can heal him.

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008

DeathBySpoon posted:

If you have Anti-Curse, shove it on your MC. It drastically lowers the chances of getting most status effects, and it'll cut the damage on his hit everyone on the map attack

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DeathBySpoon posted:

The key for that battle is really use of demon racial abilities. Kinshin demons allow you to attack twice. You can use an Evil Wave demon to attack from a distance or something heal-focused to just keep everyone topped up through Beldr's attacks or pretty much anything. Feel free to change your main character to whatever defensive or critical boosting skills you have for that battle.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Also, if you can avoid killing the team leaders, do so: once their allies are dead, they are no longer a threat and Beldr can't resurrect them. Oh, and crack Drain.

Dolphin Fetus
May 31, 2006

We must kill them. We must incinerate them. Pig after pig. Cow after cow. Village after village. Army after army.
Anyone got any grinding tips for Persona 3: FES (not portable)? I just got to level 3 tartarus but I feel like are all the guardians are kinda kicking my rear end and each victory has been really close.

Koops
Mar 27, 2010

Dolphin Fetus posted:

Anyone got any grinding tips for Persona 3: FES (not portable)? I just got to level 3 tartarus but I feel like are all the guardians are kinda kicking my rear end and each victory has been really close.

If you have the (in-game) time, level up your social links before fusing new personas. It's a much faster way to get EXP than fighting.

You earn more EXP on the floors full of red shadows.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Besides, bosses are supposed to be close calls!

UselessLurker
Apr 28, 2008
Devil Survivor lategame goof: I'm fighting Belberith in Yuzu's Day 8 and after absorbing Honda he suddenly spoke perfect Japanese. It was quite uncanny.

Whack
Feb 14, 2008
I'm playing Persona 4 and, surprisingly, I'm enjoying the hell out of it. The only issue I'm having is with the fusion system. It seems so complicated. How necessary is it? Can I ignore it can complete the game? If not, could someone explain it to my stupid rear end?

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
I'm playing Nocturne and I'm wondering if anyone had any advice for useful demons for the point I'm at now. Just beat Thor and Daisoujou outside Mantra HQ and they're making a move on Nihilo. I feel like I'm lacking a decent magic user.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

PlasticPaddy posted:

I'm playing Persona 4 and, surprisingly, I'm enjoying the hell out of it. The only issue I'm having is with the fusion system. It seems so complicated. How necessary is it? Can I ignore it can complete the game? If not, could someone explain it to my stupid rear end?
You can't outright ignore it, but you can generally just mash demons together, take whatever you think looks good, and move on without actually paying attention to the finer details of it.

EDIT: The one piece of advice I will give you though, is use buffs and debuffs if you aren't. They're incredibly important, unlike in most JRPGs.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

PlasticPaddy posted:

Just check your fusion options every dungeon or so and just fuse what looks like the strongest persona you can. While you'll definitely have an easier time gaming the system, you can beat the game just fine by just doing that.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

^ Do what these guys say. It's a good general rule that you should always try to be exploring dungeons with a team of personas at or around your main character's current level. They level up extremely slowly so fusing them regularly is the best way to do this.

Fused personas inherit skills from their parents semi-randomly, each having a certain potential chance to inherit specific skills. To get a new arrangement of skills back out of the fusion and select the component personas again until you get a set of inherited skills that you're happy with. If you sperg out about it expect to spend a long time doing this, but it isn't really necessary.

Just keep a team of personas around your level that covers all of the magic elements and has a good selection of buffs, debuffs, and status effects. It's only as complicated as you want it to be.

Whack
Feb 14, 2008
I'm not far enough to have the option to fuse yet, I was just looking it up on Gamefaqs and it made my head spin. Maybe it will make more sense when I'm actually playing the game.

Thanks for your help guys

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dolphin Fetus posted:

Go on the days Fuuka says Tartarus is unstable and just run around till get a floor where all the enemies are really powerful, then get the exp thing in the cards, make sure you kill all the encounters with either the MC or in an all out attack.

Ice Cream Social
Nov 11, 2007
audi alteram partem

EthanSteele posted:

I'm playing Nocturne and I'm wondering if anyone had any advice for useful demons for the point I'm at now. Just beat Thor and Daisoujou outside Mantra HQ and they're making a move on Nihilo. I feel like I'm lacking a decent magic user.

If you just beat Daisoujou, you should fuse him as soon as you can. Hands down one of the most useful demons in the game. I feel like I used him for half the game he was so good.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

UselessLurker posted:

Devil Survivor lategame goof: I'm fighting Belberith in Yuzu's Day 8 and after absorbing Honda he suddenly spoke perfect Japanese. It was quite uncanny.

I remember a couple instances of "Character X left..." being untranslated, too. I don't know how that can happen; don't they dump the entirety of the text before translating it?

Koops
Mar 27, 2010

Ice Cream Social posted:

If you just beat Daisoujou, you should fuse him as soon as you can. Hands down one of the most useful demons in the game. I feel like I used him for half the game he was so good.

Daisoujou is a Fiend type, and to fuse one of those you need an item called Deathstone from the Amala Labyrinth. Also I think Kagutsuchi (the moon/sun in the corner of the screen) has to be in a particular phase.

U NO WUT IM SAIYAN
Jan 26, 2003

by angerbeet

Heavy neutrino posted:

I remember a couple instances of "Character X left..." being untranslated, too. I don't know how that can happen; don't they dump the entirety of the text before translating it?

I'm not sure how the text from all DS games look, but I'm betting the translator actually did translate it and a programmer and editor just missed it.

Translators are supposed to play the game along with getting the text dump, so there is no questions about the context. Of course, sometimes you get lines that you have no idea where they come from in the game and you translate them, only to find out how they were implemented a year after the game comes out :sweatdrop:

Catalina
May 20, 2008

PlasticPaddy posted:

I'm not far enough to have the option to fuse yet, I was just looking it up on Gamefaqs and it made my head spin. Maybe it will make more sense when I'm actually playing the game.

It should be okay. It's pretty intuitive once you actually use it. At least it was for me, and Persona 4 was my first SMT game. There's a lot of in depth information, but it's not necessary to know it all to be able to use the fusion system. Just learn by trying, and learn as you go.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Ice Cream Social posted:

This is to that other guy too, but yeah I just did the first Kalpa and got a Deathstone so now I just need to wait till I'm level 32 I think and then I can get me a Daisoujou. I guess this Unicorn, Armless Guy and Dis will do till then. The kalpa was awful though, I blitzed through it no problem until I got to the end and then I ran backwards to leave instead of going through to the second Kalpa and got in a fight with two Eligors and they hit the main character down to 2 hit points after 70 minutes of running around looking for the deathstone, it was scary as hell.

heartcatcher
Oct 6, 2007

:patriot: woof :patriot:
Devil Survivor Overclocked was going smoothly until the Day 3 Beldr fight. The gimmick for damaging it is so tedious and annoying and the demons keep respawning :( I'm on Easy difficulty and struggling with this. Any tips for that battle?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Kishin (so you can attack twice) and something with Chaos/Evil Wave (so that you can attack from afar), both on the MC. Everyone else protects him from the other demons. Don't kill off the center demons in those other groups, instead just gimp them by killing off the ones on the right and left. That way they can't respawn, and if you place your other party members strategically you should be able to prevent them from getting close enough to heal the boss.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I don't have much to say, but that was definitely the hardest fight in the original game. Once you manage to get past it, you can rest assured that the game never pulls poo poo like that again.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Anyone got any persona 4 tips for me? I've *just* defeated shadow rise and want to know if I'm missing anything, and maybe what the best way to spend my time is.

Currently:
top priority is social links. I try to keep them all levelled equally because time spent at the beginning of a link is more likely to level up so it's good to put 3 days into new ones, getting to level 3 quickly. Of course, I get the correct personas to get the most points in the social links.

-social links with all teammates, got them around 5.

-ema link, 4 or 5?
-spoiled rich girl link, 2
-drama link, 3
-sports team link, football, 6?
-young cousin(?) link, got to around 4 but need more understanding or something.
-uncle? Dojima: about 4 or five.

Rainy days (about half the time):
-go and do the chinese diner challenge

Nights when nothing is in the fridge, Dojima etc are not around:
-go to room and ????? What should I do there? Right now I work on the envelopes to raise understanding.
-I have the option of doing day care, and working in the hospital at night.

Am I missing anything? What do my academics need to be, how important is academics in this one? I came top 10 in the last test. My stats are all at 2 or 3 for knowledge, etc. I try to level them equally.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

glod posted:

Devil Survivor Overclocked was going smoothly until the Day 3 Beldr fight. The gimmick for damaging it is so tedious and annoying and the demons keep respawning :( I'm on Easy difficulty and struggling with this. Any tips for that battle?

As people have already said, getting a Kishin type is practically mandatory. But I never found it really necessary to get evil/chaos wave as well. I used a Deity type for Awakening since it makes your first strike against him deal quite a bit of damage (plus you get the advantage of extra turns which you lose if you have evil/chaos wave)

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

redreader posted:

Anyone got any persona 4 tips for me? I've *just* defeated shadow rise and want to know if I'm missing anything, and maybe what the best way to spend my time is.

Currently:
top priority is social links. I try to keep them all levelled equally because time spent at the beginning of a link is more likely to level up so it's good to put 3 days into new ones, getting to level 3 quickly. Of course, I get the correct personas to get the most points in the social links.

-ema link, 4 or 5?
-drama link, 3
-young cousin(?) link, got to around 4 but need more understanding or something.

-go to room and ????? What should I do there? Right now I work on the envelopes to raise understanding.

Am I missing anything? What do my academics need to be, how important is academics in this one? I came top 10 in the last test. My stats are all at 2 or 3 for knowledge, etc. I try to level them equally.

You want to prioritise your party member social links, since you get a special bonus for maxing them on top of the usual rewards. You also want the Hermit link to be high (the fox one). Thirdly, you want to prioritise getting the stats needed for the Tutoring job (I forget which stat it is) to unlock the Tower link, and then max that as soon as you can, since what is arguably the best Persona in the game is in the Tower arcana.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Dr Snofeld posted:

You want to prioritise your party member social links, since you get a special bonus for maxing them on top of the usual rewards. You also want the Hermit link to be high (the fox one). Thirdly, you want to prioritise getting the stats needed for the Tutoring job (I forget which stat it is) to unlock the Tower link, and then max that as soon as you can, since what is arguably the best Persona in the game is in the Tower arcana.

Apart from the Chinese diner, what's the best way to raise attributes? Making cranes for understanding is not paying off too well, nor is studying at the desk. It seems that reading books for courage is 'significantly' good though? do I have to finish the first book before I can start another? also, is the hospital job worth doing?

Jawidar
Feb 17, 2007

redreader posted:

Anyone got any persona 4 tips for me?
I found in my first playthrough that it's worth prioritising Nanako and Dojima as social links.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
The hospital job both raises courage and gives you two awesome S. links. So yeah, do that.

There should also be a caretaking job, which should raise a stat. It'll open up the Temperance social link as well.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

redreader posted:

Apart from the Chinese diner, what's the best way to raise attributes? Making cranes for understanding is not paying off too well, nor is studying at the desk. It seems that reading books for courage is 'significantly' good though? do I have to finish the first book before I can start another? also, is the hospital job worth doing?

Reading books is the fastest way to raise stats. Different books raise different stats.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

redreader posted:

Currently:

-ema link, 4 or 5?
-drama link, 3

Don't forget to work on Empress once you get your knowledge high enough to start it. Its the only one that doesn't actually require you spending any time slices to level. Also for nighttime activity, read the event books if you have one, as those usually give you gains in multiple stats/greater gains than reading a normal book or working. Drama is worth doing if for no other reason that it gives you shitloads of expression, which you'll need for Hierophant and Justice.

Blhue fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Sep 6, 2011

HarveyVdarski
Aug 19, 2011

by Pipski

Alteisen posted:

Go on the days Fuuka says Tartarus is unstable and just run around till get a floor where all the enemies are really powerful, then get the exp thing in the cards, make sure you kill all the encounters with either the MC or in an all out attack.

Or you can just go to the Persona 3 wiki and look up the boss levels and make each party member that level.

Koops
Mar 27, 2010

redreader posted:

Currently:

-ema link, 4 or 5?
-drama link, 3

There is one Social Link that you can't even start until you've maxed out Knowledge and Courage. (mild spoiler):It's for a party member.

You might want to consider focusing on a few Social Links until you complete them, since you'll keep one of the benefits of completing a Link (access to a high level Persona) in a second playthrough. On the other hand, it's really easy to max every Link on a second playthrough, so you're fine with what you've been doing.

Katsudon
Oct 21, 2010

Shut up Adachi.

redreader posted:

Anyone got any persona 4 tips for me?
Gonna echo people saying focus on the party members and the Dojimas. It makes your party members stronger and gives you more battle benefits, and in the case of the Dojimas (keeping it vague but spoilering just in case) the deadline for their social links is earlier than everyone else's. It helps to work on the Fox too, the price it charges you becomes cheaper the higher the link is.

However judging by where you are in the story you're going to get to a point soon where for a while you won't be able to rank up any of your school social links save for your party members (you can hang out with them though). This lasts for about a month or so. So keep that in mind.

Katsudon fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Sep 7, 2011

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

Nearing the end of P3:FES - hopefully I can tackle the Reaper eventually so I can try the bonus dungeon. If not then oh well.

I'm split on which I like more, P3 or P4. Persona 3 has such a nice style to it, but the pacing is crazy. They basically throw you in head-first at the start and then you just kind of sit back and wait for things to happen to you. Or rather, wait for them to NOT happen to you in the case of social events. The Kyoto trip was loving miserable, they pretty much skipped over the entire day and there was nothing to do at night. I was looking forward to what everyone would have to do for career week, then the calendar jumped forward a few days like "okay, career week is over!" It seems like they put so much work into everything about The Dark Hour, then were too lazy to do the rest of the game's events.

Tararus is a blast to go through though and the some of the boss battles had me get through only by the skin of my teeth. Seeing Dark Hour versions of the places I've hung out in is pretty chilling too. Lots of good personas too - out of my twelve slots, eight or nine of them are filled with pretty useful guys. Seems like persona 4 had a lot more white noise personas toward the end.

Persona 4 eases you into it a lot better though, and the main characters take a much more active approach toward solving the mystery. The flesh out the non-dungeon parts a lot more too - when you go to the city the characters actually do things rather than the game going yadda yadda yadda and skipping over it.

I got persona 3 on the brain

PlasticPaddy posted:

Feel your way through it, it's easier than it looks. Fuse the highest-level guy you can, let the bonus exp. from Social Links push those even higher. Hang out with your party members a lot - they get bonuses in combat and the personas that they're related to (magician, chariot, priestess, etc) are generally pretty good too.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Atlus has released the first official screenshots for Persona 4 The Golden at native PS Vita resolution.

Click that picture to see it again, as well as 24 other new images.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
Now Atlus, this was the screenshot you should have used for "new anime scenes" in your first preview. Man Teddie just looks so... adorablely clueless.

Looks like shuffle time has been seriously changed, or this is some new thing.

Seems like in addition to using Devil Survivor's Choose your own skill thing, they are keeping P3Ps Skill Card system too, judging by the card icon next to Lakshimi's Level 66 skill.

Axle_Stukov fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Sep 7, 2011