Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Whoah, where? Now I can stop using ugly full sized wooden doors!
Right here in the melon farm part. He turns around and shuts it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NINbuntu 64
Feb 11, 2007

I hope that's not the final graphic. It looks just like the rest of the fence.

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius

HYMEN.SYS posted:

Even if it is, I'm sure it's a different kind of block from the fence blocks, so the texture pack guys will be able to create different textures for it.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Actually I'm pretty sure it's gonna use the wood block texture just like the normal fence.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Zorak posted:

Strawmans are cool! wait, no, they aren't

The point is intrinsic risk involved. The whole point of beds is allowing you to "set" where your home is. Your safe haven. If you leave your safe haven, you are no longer safe. You are forced to prepare for it, ready for it, mentally and physically in the game mechanics. The risk is all part of the whole bloody game.

It's not a matter of ARE YOU HARDCORE ENOUGH, it's a a matter of basic risk-reward pysche stuff. You want good stuff, and you have to risk bad stuff to get good stuff. This is how "adventures" work. Walking into a shopping mall where your antics might result in you being sent outside the mall before coming back in to grab your MP3 player is different from, say, breaking into an abandoned run down shopping mall where you run the risk of physical harm / legal troubles. The adrenaline induced by the risk is why "adventuring" is fun at all.

And when you gently caress up, yeah it's frustrating. Thankfully, this is just a video game though, and all it does is make you even more paranoid about the danger in the future. Which is kind of the entire point of "Minecraft": build a thing while holding off the risks at hand. Having a hand-burning moment that reminds you that there is an actual penalty to not being cautious keeps you always on your toes and aware of the risk. If the worst that can happen to you is that you have to walk ___ feet to grab your chest, or even just be sent back to your home, there's nothing to lose there. Worst case scenario you have to backtrack. Gasp.

Without any sort of item decay or risk of losing items, the game is just creative with mobs in and a grind.

e: it's the whole reason why the Nether has Ghasts, even. The reward is the fast travel/ rare resources, the risk is one of the most difficult to handle mobs in the game. Risk, reward. Danger from exploring from "home", associated rewards for managing to do so successfully. By approaching the situations intelligently you can mine yourself safely. That's basically Minecraft in a nutshell.

I'm not saying you believe that beds were just as bad as this, what I'm saying is people have always resisted things that "make there be less risk" in Minecraft. There was a ton of people ranting on the Minecraft forum about how being able to build a bed anywhere to respawn meant you could just build spawn rooms in a cave system you explored and have no risk etc. Other people said respawn point changing would only be balanced if it required a shitload of gold or diamonds or obsidian because it needed to be "expensive" for some reason.

And then even after the bed update came out, people bitched that getting 3 wool and 3 planks was just too easy, etc. Of course notch has never required us to use beds. If the keep items on death or spawn item chest at death location (or the mod that spawns a dungeon around where you died with your stuff in the chests) mods ever were added to the main game, they would still be optional things, I would think. And after all, there is a no-hostile-mobs difficulty setting in the game already, it's obviously allowing room for people who get enough adventure out of just mining and building.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
Man, just make a chest before you try doing anything risky. You always have enough material to make a chest in your inventory. Risk vs reward is fine as it is now.

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

Bro and Maplehoof: Go beyond the impossible!
:kamina:
When I die, recovering my stuff in the time limit is either trivial or basically impossible. I think the death chest is a good middle ground. Tossing everything on the ground would be fine if it didn't despawn. It sucks to find where you died too late.

Jeb tweeted the new icons.png:

I'm intrigued by the reception bars. It looks like there are different food icons too.

Hungry Gerbil
Jun 6, 2009

by angerbot
Reception bars? Nothing is known about anything that could use those, right? Man, I hope the update is released soon.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Hungry Gerbil posted:

Reception bars? Nothing is known about anything that could use those, right? Man, I hope the update is released soon.

Minecraft Pocket for Xperia Play / Android and the iOS version. (Was iOS ever confirmed?)

vvv and that

Infected Mushroom
Nov 4, 2009

Hungry Gerbil posted:

There's a new server connect screen that will use those to show your ping to a server (sorry).

Jervas Dudley
Feb 18, 2007

Bro and Maplehoof: Go beyond the impossible!
:kamina:
Mystery solved. They're for the new server list:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Tw1tchy posted:

Minecraft 1.8 trailer is now out!

So does that mean 1.8 is finally going to be released? I think Jeb said it was going out on Thursday?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Oh boy, I hope my new computer gets here before the update. :allears:

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Hadlock posted:

So does that mean 1.8 is finally going to be released? I think Jeb said it was going out on Thursday?

@jeb_ posted:

Looks grim to get a release out on 8th. We need more testing, one day is not enough. And we never release on fridays... I'll keep you posted
Probably not at this point

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

HYMEN.SYS posted:

Actually it stands out as it doesn't have any connection to the ground. I quite like the look of vanilla.

Relaxodon
Oct 2, 2010
One thing i would like to see in minecraft, is for your safety inside your base to be more often challanged. At the moment, as soon as you have your walls up and a spider overhang attached, you are completely save. Having to defend that savety would be really cool.
I really struggle to think up how to do that in a "minecraftian" way though. Building in wall destroying mobs seems somehow wrong. Also the feeling of safety inside your base is kinda important for the game.
Has anyone come up with some ideas here?

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

Relaxodon posted:

One thing i would like to see in minecraft, is for your safety inside your base to be more often challanged. At the moment, as soon as you have your walls up and a spider overhang attached, you are completely save. Having to defend that savety would be really cool.
I really struggle to think up how to do that in a "minecraftian" way though. Building in wall destroying mobs seems somehow wrong. Also the feeling of safety inside your base is kinda important for the game.

I would shamelessly steal Terraria's idea here and have an even that gives zombies the ability to open doors. Obviously creepers can't due to a lack of arms. But it would give cause to create new obstacles in order to enter ones house, or maybe simply defend it during that particular event.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Arkitektbmw posted:

I would shamelessly steal Terraria's idea here and have an even that gives zombies the ability to open doors. Obviously creepers can't due to a lack of arms. But it would give cause to create new obstacles in order to enter ones house, or maybe simply defend it during that particular event.

Zombies opening doors would be solved pretty easily by blocking your door off with cobblestone during the event, just like you do in Terraria.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
So a couple of :spergin: friends got me involved with a mega project; an underground desert.

No, I don't know why it has to be an underground desert, but we're about halfway done the clearing part.

One diamond pick = .5% clearance of the allotted area. And we're doing it all the hardway, no mods/server commands, oy.

The size is 100x100x30, this is about 2/3rds of the cleared space, give or take.

Features:
Sand floor, sand dunes, cacti, a sun sphere made of glass and lava, a transition to a night sky with a glowstone moon and twinkling red torch stars, an oasis, sandstone hieroglyphs in the walls, other decor, and above ground a giant pyramid full of traps that leads down inside the desert.

It's a fun/ambitious project, but tedious as all get out.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Fayez Butts posted:

Actually I'm pretty sure it's gonna use the wood block texture just like the normal fence.

It looks just like a fence, without a fence post. I think that's fine for a simple fence/gate. Pretty much what I've seen on farms, roughly.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Uh, yeah?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Loving Life Partner posted:

So a couple of :spergin: friends got me involved with a mega project; an underground desert.

No, I don't know why it has to be an underground desert, but we're about halfway done the clearing part.

One diamond pick = .5% clearance of the allotted area. And we're doing it all the hardway, no mods/server commands, oy.

The size is 100x100x30, this is about 2/3rds of the cleared space, give or take.

Features:
Sand floor, sand dunes, cacti, a sun sphere made of glass and lava, a transition to a night sky with a glowstone moon and twinkling red torch stars, an oasis, sandstone hieroglyphs in the walls, other decor, and above ground a giant pyramid full of traps that leads down inside the desert.

It's a fun/ambitious project, but tedious as all get out.

If you unlit a huge area and stuck a couple of 3 deep trenches between you and the creepers, it would be pretty trivial to harvest enough gunpowder to blow the rest of the area in short time.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

Hadlock posted:

If you unlit a huge area and stuck a couple of 3 deep trenches between you and the creepers, it would be pretty trivial to harvest enough gunpowder to blow the rest of the area in short time.

We were kiting creepers into dirt/gravel, but they don't have a whole lot of oomph with raw rock, maybe 2 squares in each direction? One friend did a mob farm overnight and had like 30 tnt, but setting it and detonating it wasn't worth the hassle of just good ol' fashioned mining, also, diamonds are on such a premium, can't risk destroying any, sigh.

Fun stats: We have about 10,000 cobble in a shitload of double storage chests right now, 40x64 stacks of redstone dust, and a 64 1/2 stack of iron blocks, in case we run too low on diamonds and have to get desperate.

I just want to get to the fun design/building part, sigh.

No. No more dancing!
Jun 15, 2006
Let 'er rip, dude!

Relaxodon posted:

The problem is that you need a base that is safe, without being able to make a huge section of the world safe. Currently you can just make a walled in city area, torch it all off, and dig your own mine shafts straight down and never run into a single enemy. The only solution I can think of off the top of my head is to make monster spawns unaffected by torches. Monsters wouldn't spawn in sunlit areas in the day, the same as currently, but you would have to have some other way to stop them from spawning in buildings or your town at night. This could be accomplished with some other crafted safety-zone blocks that stop enemies from spawning in a certain radius/cube from them.

A cheap safety-zone that can be made with wood or stone could stop enemies from spawning in an 10x10x10 cube, for instance, so you could make your first house safe. If you place another one of these cheap safety-zones within 100 blocks it would be ineffective. To make larger safe zones you would need more expensive blocks, to the point that making entire cave networks safe would be infeasible, but a large town would still be possible with work. I don't know exactly what you would make these blocks to fit in with the world without being obvious "safety-zone" blocks, maybe lanterns or cornerstones.

One downside of this system is that it would be hard to tell where the safe zone ends. You could probably do a small GUI indicator for when you cross a boundary, but it would still be kind of a pain when you have overlapping zones. That is a problem with the current light-level system in place now anyway though, so maybe it wouldn't be too bad. Another downside is it would be much more work to have a safe town, but that's a price I would pay for more of a challenge after the first night.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

diamonds are on such a premium, can't risk destroying any, sigh.

I'm pretty sure a single TNT detonation will not destroy anything from the blocks it blows up on, you'd need a second detonation to blow the stuff up once it's dropped.

Dig a 2x1 hole into the wall, put a TNT in the back and then a lever, flick the lever, back up, repeat. If you have a big team of people and one guy is farming creepers, one guy is doing that, and the rest are mining normally seems like it'd go pretty fast.

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

I am a Purrrfect Princess

President Ark posted:

I'm pretty sure a single TNT detonation will not destroy anything from the blocks it blows up on, you'd need a second detonation to blow the stuff up once it's dropped.

This isn't true. TNT does not drop all the blocks it destroys, only about half? There is a decent chance it could destroy a diamond ore without dropping the diamond.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
You also have to get 4 sand for each TNT, and it really doesn't remove that much stone. And there's the time it takes to plant the TNT, run away, go back, repeat. It's probably faster to just use a pick.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I only use TNT to get rid of dirt and gravel I find in cave systems. I have dirt and gravel so much when I'm mining I have to remove all of it. TNT is pretty decent when used to do that

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Apparently if you beat a gravel block and then stick a torch under it, the rest will just fall out as pickups

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Apparently if you beat a gravel block and then stick a torch under it, the rest will just fall out as pickups

You won't get flint by mining gravel that way though, only gravel blocks.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

King Hotpants posted:

The way I see it, losing your stuff on death is the only real penalty Minecraft can impose.
"Why does Minecraft need a penalty?" is the resulting question though. And most likely, the biggest difference in mindset between people who hate losing items on death and those who don't mind it. And naturally, why it's something that should be considered in a broader sort of difficulty setting for the game.

Personally, I don't get the idea that monsters and risk of losing everything and all that is the biggest thing that separates Creative from Survival, anyway. It's certainly a major part, but the biggest thing is that you have to work for your resources (mining them out of the earth, smelting them, crafting them, etc.) rather than simply choosing from a list, and it's this interaction with the world and effort involved (however small) that keeps the building engaging. All the monsters really change is giving you a motivation to build shelter fast, and making you build well-lit walled shelters.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008
Notch just tweeted.

Vines aren't climbable, he's still aiming for a Sept. 8th release, and villages are going to be people-less until 1.9.

I kind of hope the wait for 1.9 isn't long now.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Although, empty villages are loving creepy

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
It's a trick. Every room in every home in every village has an enderman, playing with a special new block.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I wonder if villagers will have a sense of ownership. While it would be satisfying to burn down a village you stumble across, it would be more enjoyable if the villagers became hostile when you started taking apart / looting their buildings.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Would be really great if they started their own mines with a sense of ownership, and also would take up arms against you to protect their territory

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Would be really great if they started their own mines with a sense of ownership, and also would take up arms against you to protect their territory

I hope that happens, I would love to tunnel under a village and wire up a line of dynamite under each building, leading to a lever in the middle of town, and then pick a fight with all of the villagers try to hold on as long as possible before triggering my surprise.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I wonder if there would be a way to get them to act as redshirts when you go exploring, like if you could wall them in and make them go in a single direction. That would be all I did in the game if it works.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Lazyfire posted:

I wonder if there would be a way to get them to act as redshirts when you go exploring, like if you could wall them in and make them go in a single direction. That would be all I did in the game if it works.

Oh god, someone needs to make a Lemmings mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Haha. Recruiting them as miners would be badass. You could start your own exploitative diamond plantation full of slave workers :haw: