Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

The slave is doomed to worship time and fate and death, because they are greater than anything he finds in himself.

Globochem posted:

Sorry if this has already been covered, but where do you guys get most of your stoner rock-related news? Ever since stonerrock.com and its forums died I haven't really been keeping up with the scene. Has anyone picked up where they left off?

All That Is Heavy is a good spot. Don't think they have forums though. P.S. Awesome name/title. "Bags, bags, bags!" Brave Words and Bloody Knuckles is also pretty good, though not very stoner-centric.

edit: Whoops, new page. Anybody heard the new Zombi yet? Pretty rad.

amplifier worship fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Sep 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Are there any doom bands out there that are just bassguitars and drums with no actual guitars that are also good. kinda like a doom version of necromantia.

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

SLEEP headlining Roadburn 2012, and Om is also attending.

NuclearGuru
Jan 4, 2011

Globochem posted:

Sorry if this has already been covered, but where do you guys get most of your stoner rock-related news? Ever since stonerrock.com and its forums died I haven't really been keeping up with the scene. Has anyone picked up where they left off?

https://www.theobelisk.net is the best music blog out there imo. The guy that runs it was a writer for stonerrock.com and the forums are apparently kind of a continuation of the SR forums, but I wouldn't know cause I never really posted there.

There are also quite a few download blogs to be found... I'd post them but I don't want to get banned for :files:.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

MrBling posted:

Are there any doom bands out there that are just bassguitars and drums with no actual guitars that are also good. kinda like a doom version of necromantia.

Om are the obvious choice, especially their older stuff, though I hesitate to describe them as a doom band.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

nosophoros posted:

I cannot :stare: hard enough, Jesus Christ I'd pay anything to see this.

MrBling posted:

Om

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

nosophoros posted:

Think I'm gonna sell my kidney if I don't have enough money.

Crimsonjewfro
Jul 12, 2008

I can't even afford an avatar

MrBling posted:

Not sure if it's really doom, too, but besides Om, there's also Shrum, late Audie Pietre's band (the bassist of Acid Bath). I think it had too basses or something. There's only one album, though.

Also, it really pains me that I live so far away from where Roadburn and MDF. But, oh, well, at least I'll get to see Kyuss Lives and Down in the same week here.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I don't listen to much of their music (just haven't heard that much, need to sit down with some of it), but my buddy told me today that Black Pyramid broke up. I know some of you doom goons here listen to them, figured you'd want to know.

smile.jpg
Jun 15, 2010

Planet X posted:

I don't listen to much of their music (just haven't heard that much, need to sit down with some of it), but my buddy told me today that Black Pyramid broke up. I know some of you doom goons here listen to them, figured you'd want to know.

That is horrible. :( I really enjoyed their debut album (granted I haven't heard much outside of that, not even the new Stormbringer compilation). They were a really solid stoner/doom band and I will miss them.

MR.B
Mar 15, 2007

I am the Owl
I've never been to Roadburn, but I was gutted that I couldn't go this year due to starting a new job.

I'm definitely going in 2012.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

So did anyone here buy Yob's Atma? Is it even out yet? Can anyone confirm the audio quality is better than the leak that came out a few months ago?

Snapes N Snapes
Sep 6, 2010

Quantum of Phallus posted:

So did anyone here buy Yob's Atma? Is it even out yet? Can anyone confirm the audio quality is better than the leak that came out a few months ago?

I love Atma but the vast majority of people think the production on it is utter shite (leak or no leak).

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is anyone here a fan of Thou? I heard their cover of Paroled in '54, but I'm not sure what album to go for first. They've got something like 20 demos, eps, and splits out in the past few years.

Oh hey, since no one mentioned it (at least this time), Thou has almost all of their discography up for free downloads on their website.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

HMorg posted:

Oh hey, since no one mentioned it (at least this time), Thou has almost all of their discography up for free downloads on their website.

When are we going to hear more Ever Circling Wolves?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

nosophoros posted:

I love Atma but the vast majority of people think the production on it is utter shite (leak or no leak).

drat, I really liked it but the leak did indeed have utter shite production on it. Surprising really, The Great Cessation sounded great.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

aliencowboy posted:

When are we going to hear more Ever Circling Wolves?

You've gone and downloaded the Chapter III ep, right? (if no, click here)

We've got the material pretty much written, now we need to learn to play it all and then figure out when and where to record it. I'd estimate we'll get something out by early next year.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Planet X posted:

That's too bad. Their debut was pretty derivative, but it showed a lot of potential. Unfortunately, their music has lately taken a back seat to the bizarre philosophical rants the guitar player has been posting on the Obelisk and Stonerrocklives forums. I hope he figures his life out and comes back to the scene, but right now he's acting like some kind of weird Zen drama queen. I actually don't recommend looking this stuff up unless you want to lose a lot of respect for the band.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
Hei HMORG, koskas teiän keikka oli?

Meilläkin ois tossa lepiksessä 16.11. Semtexin ja Gaffin kanssa. Tuu kattoo!

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

HMorg posted:

We've got the material pretty much written, now we need to learn to play it all and then figure out when and where to record it. I'd estimate we'll get something out by early next year.

Awesome, hadn't heard Chapter III yet. Looking forward to more.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Dyna Soar posted:

Hei HMORG, koskas teiän keikka oli?

Meilläkin ois tossa lepiksessä 16.11. Semtexin ja Gaffin kanssa. Tuu kattoo!

Täytyy tulla.

Meil oli just keikka tossa lauantaina, seuraavasta ei paljonkaan tietoa. Mutta jotain yhteiskeikkaa vois kehitellä. Siirretäänkö keskustelu sähköpostiin?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

HMorg posted:

Täytyy tulla.

Meil oli just keikka tossa lauantaina, seuraavasta ei paljonkaan tietoa. Mutta jotain yhteiskeikkaa vois kehitellä. Siirretäänkö keskustelu sähköpostiin?

Ai saatana, missasin siis. Vois kyl joo siirtää.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

HMorg posted:

I wish that more bands with out of print demos and EPs would do that (Agalloch). I guess a lot of that probably comes down to the record label that put it out, though.

edit: drat, I like Summit Reprise. I'm getting sort of a Godspeed vibe from it, works really well with the rest of the album.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Sep 9, 2011

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.

nosophoros posted:

This I'm not probably going to, since I live oceans away. But I saw them during their tour last year (I believe it was, in fact, almost a year to the day) and they were loving OUTSTANDING. They put on an amazing show.

And I don't know how I didn't see anything about the kyuss tour until now. Def going to see them in Philly and it is going to rule.

edit: Meant to say I was going to MDF to see Electric Wizard, not Roadburn for sleep.

grvm fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Sep 9, 2011

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I'm slowly finding more bands that fit into the weirdly specific sub-genre of post/sludge metal that I really like. Suggestions for more like this?

ISIS
Cult of Luna
Rosetta
Jesu
Tool
Mouth of the Architect

To a lesser extent I like the post-rock'y guys like Pelican, Russian Circles, and Red Sparowes, but I usually prefer some vocals. I just discovered Neurosis and am exploring them a bit.

In less post stuff, I have really liked:
Baroness
Black Cobra
Black Tusk
Saviours

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
^ That poo poo is called Neurosis (Or Neurisis for ppl who like Isis) worship and you should definitely check out Neurosis from Enemy of the Sun onwards. No ones ever done it better and never will.

For more bands, I suggest you check out;

Amenra (pretty much the best of the bunch)
Cult of Luna (good stuff up until Salvation altho the later albums are highly regarded as well)
The Abominable Iron Sloth (their self titled is good, haven't heard the new one)

for the more southern stuff, check out Rwake. They pretty much made the whole psychedelic southern metal thing. Also Samothrace, Deadbird, Eagle Twin, Lesbian, Middian & Yob and Indian are stuff you might dig.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Dyna Soar posted:

^ That poo poo is called Neurosis (Or Neurisis for ppl who like Isis) worship and you should definitely check out Neurosis from Enemy of the Sun onwards. No ones ever done it better and never will.

Like I said, I just discovered Neurosis. :)

Dyna Soar posted:

For more bands, I suggest you check out;

Amenra (pretty much the best of the bunch)
Cult of Luna (good stuff up until Salvation altho the later albums are highly regarded as well)
The Abominable Iron Sloth (their self titled is good, haven't heard the new one)

for the more southern stuff, check out Rwake. They pretty much made the whole psychedelic southern metal thing. Also Samothrace, Deadbird, Eagle Twin, Lesbian, Middian & Yob and Indian are stuff you might dig.

Thanks for these. Already said I like Cult of Luna. Will check out the rest!

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
Talking about going into post-rock territory, you'd definitely like *shels - Sea of the Dying Dhow. Ambient, atmospheric, cinematic but original post-rock with some brutally heavy sludge segments.

I wanted to say, though, that their new LP (Plains of the Purple Buffalo) is just stunning. It doesn't fit into this thread really, but people here who are into their post-metal should really check it out.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

ShaneB posted:

I'm slowly finding more bands that fit into the weirdly specific sub-genre of post/sludge metal that I really like. Suggestions for more like this?

ISIS
Cult of Luna
Rosetta
Jesu
Tool
Mouth of the Architect

To a lesser extent I like the post-rock'y guys like Pelican, Russian Circles, and Red Sparowes, but I usually prefer some vocals. I just discovered Neurosis and am exploring them a bit.

In less post stuff, I have really liked:
Baroness
Black Cobra
Black Tusk
Saviours

In addition to what the others said, check out:
Fall of Efrafa (especially their last album, Inlé)
The Atlas Moth
True Widow (who were posted in this thread not long ago)

Also, I wouldn't bunch The Abominable Iron Sloth together with all those NeurIsis worship bands, but I second the recommendation and offer my opinion that the second album is also good (but not as good as the first).

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

HMorg posted:

I'm sort of curious - how much do people usually pay when you go "Pay what you want"? I never know how much I should pay, so when I see that, I usually just order everything on a band's Bandcamp page and pay a total of $4.20, but I worry that I'm being a cheap bastard.

ShaneB posted:

I just discovered Neurosis and am exploring them a bit.

My first Neurosis CD was "Through Silver in Blood", which I got back when it came out. I thought it was boring, but this was back when I thought that Cathedral's "Carnival Bizarre" was a waste of money. It takes a while, but it grows on you. You really have to be in the right mood for Neurosis, though. I haven't listened to them in ages... but I keep meaning to.

West
Jul 8, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Brutal Truth counts as Stoner Metal, right?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Do Roadburn usually film their headliners?
I'd be delighted to see the Sleep and Om shows but have no way of getting there in person.

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

im_sorry posted:

I'm sort of curious - how much do people usually pay when you go "Pay what you want"? I never know how much I should pay, so when I see that, I usually just order everything on a band's Bandcamp page and pay a total of $4.20, but I worry that I'm being a cheap bastard.

Personally, if I'm not broke (and if there's no vinyl or cd to be had) I'll pay something like $5 per album.
As for our stuff, I think a huge total of one person has paid anything for it, and it was something like $2 or so (yay, we're selling out!). But then, we aren't super popular, even in the underground circles.

Leopold N. Loeb
Apr 26, 2010

by XyloJW
Gonna check out the new(ish) ECW and the new Zombie tonight.....I love this thread....

And I became aware of ECW by searching Finnish doom bands on Encyclopedia Metallum.......

nd is there any ECW merch available?

Frank Caskelot
Jan 31, 2009

Leopold N. Loeb posted:

Gonna check out the new(ish) ECW and the new Zombie tonight.....I love this thread....

And I became aware of ECW by searching Finnish doom bands on Encyclopedia Metallum.......

We're in the process of designing a shirt. No idea when we can afford to print them. There's some copies left of "The Silence from Your Room" cd-r, however, and a cd-r pressing of Chapter III is in the works also, though the budget thing applies to that too.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

Leopold N. Loeb posted:

E C DUB! E C DUB!

...sorry, wrong forum.

West
Jul 8, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Got a chance to check out the new Rwake a couple weeks early. It rips, writhes and smokes you into oblivion.

Easily my new favorite for 2011.

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
^ Really looking forward to that one, maybe I should preorder.

fidgit
Apr 27, 2002

And my wrath shall wax hot, and I will kill you with the sword; and your wives shall be widows, and your children fatherless.
Saw Thou/WITTR last night at a mill/loading dock in Providence. They both sounded really awesome. Should have skipped the opener, whose gimmick was woman lead singer who assaults crowd with mic cord and body odor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

fidgit posted:

Saw Thou/WITTR last night at a mill/loading dock in Providence. They both sounded really awesome. Should have skipped the opener, whose gimmick was woman lead singer who assaults crowd with mic cord and body odor.

Ya, I was at the show last night as well. Probably one of the coolest venues I've ever seen. Wolves seemed kinda boring after seeing Thou play. I felt like instead of being a black metal band primarily, they made the shift to drone/doom and kinda forgot to bring the bass guitar. It was weird as gently caress that literally no band said anything to the crowd, I've never seen that before. Just weird creepy silence. Thou is a must see live though.

I was in the back so I missed the opening band's body odor/mic assault, but they sounded like they had potential to be a good band. Just needs work.