Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

Loving Life Partner posted:

Haha. Recruiting them as miners would be badass. You could start your own exploitative diamond plantation full of slave workers :haw:

I would want golems that need to be fed redstone or something for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

crazylakerfan posted:

Oh god, someone needs to make a Lemmings mod.

Within a few weeks of the villagers being added someone will create a piston machine that functions as a lemmings game, I can feel it now.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

Loving Life Partner posted:

Would be really great if they started their own mines with a sense of ownership, and also would take up arms against you to protect their territory

They're supposed to respond poorly if you piss them off. Of course they may just respond poorly.

Hopefully the reason we're not getting NPCs yet is because they're trying to get them to work smoothly. Though I think I'd prefer if they just held onto villages and waited to release them with the NPCs.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
I hope there's parameters to spawning NPCs and not just generation/biome stuff. I want to make a huge city filled with fresh meatcitizens

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

King Hotpants posted:

But you're not supposed to enjoy dying. That's the point. It makes you not want to die.
The threat of death, the actual danger of it, makes me want to not die.
The reality of it, what I consider to be an exorbitant punishment, just makes me want to not play. It's needlessly frustrating and excessive, and the threat of death could still be there even without going to the extreme lengths it does now.

I think there could be other ways to make the player exercise caution around lava, for instance, than making him dump his entire inventory into a chest first.

I'm not saying there should be no punishment, I'm just saying you don't need to go so far to make a player not want to die, especially with upcoming features like the XP bar.

King Hotpants posted:

And this is where we disagree.
Which is exactly why I've been saying that it should be an option, and not mandatory.

President Ark posted:

I'm pretty sure a single TNT detonation will not destroy anything from the blocks it blows up on, you'd need a second detonation to blow the stuff up once it's dropped.
Every block destroyed by an explosion has a 30% chance of dropping, and a 70% chance of being destroyed and yielding no resources.

ThndrShk2k posted:

I hope there's parameters to spawning NPCs and not just generation/biome stuff. I want to make a huge city filled with fresh meatcitizens
Don't forget Notch wants to add Quests that NPCs can give you. I'd bet that's the main reason for the delay.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

YOURFRIEND posted:

I would want golems that need to be fed redstone or something for that.

Or souls. Souls of the villagers you kill.

PirateNipple
Apr 5, 2004

It looks like most of the world-gen changes will be in for 1.8, right? I've been jonesin' to start a new world but am waiting for the patch, and I'm wondering if 1.9 will change it all again. Seems like so far 1.9 is for the actual NPCs and experience skills and poo poo, nothing about world-gen.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Since I'm pretty sure 1.8 will have a huge issue found 5 seconds after release, how can I prevent Minecraft from updating automatically?

Lavender Philtrum
May 16, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

Since I'm pretty sure 1.8 will have a huge issue found 5 seconds after release, how can I prevent Minecraft from updating automatically?

The game asks you before you update so just click 'no'.

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

Newest notch post:

Notch posted:

Game development is fun. There’s programming, design, testing and just plain good old silliness. Here’s a brief snapshot - a retelling of what I did this weekend!

I was putting in a few extra hours on Minecraft this weekend, refactoring code so biomes could directly decorate the terrain themselves rather than having the terrain check the biomes manually. That type of work is mostly just busy work, so it wasn’t very interesting from a design perspective, but it was very rewarding form a programming perspective. Things were starting to fall into place, and biomes became much “cleaner”.

One of the results of that was the first draft of a swamp biome, which I posted a screenshot of. I got crazy amounts of great feedback on how to make it look swampier (it kinda looks like a happy grove at the moment), and almost all of them are entirely doable by only changing the SwampBiome.java class. Feels good!

While testing the biome code, I started running out of food in the game and started hunting animals. Cows would just stand there, looking at me as I mashed them over and over to get their precious loot, so I figured I’d just make that mechanic a bit more fun. Four lines of code later, and animals now flee randomly after taking damage. Hunting animals suddenly became a lot more fun and morally questionable as pigs would storm off grunting and chicken (or whatever the heck they are) would jump into ravines. But the real fun came later on.

Someone tweeted me about a joking campaign to add 3d modeled snouts to the pigs in Minecraft, so I did. While doing so, I groaned at how the Cube class has an “addBox” method that actually means “replaceBox”, and how it really should be a “Shape” class with an “addBox” method that actually does what it says. Right now every box in a model has to be individually animated to match the part it’s attached to, and there’s no grouping or hierarcy. This is the reason why the horns on the cows are in the wrong location sometimes. I didn’t fix the code for this, as I was running out of weekend, but I made a mental note to fix it asap.

Reddit loved my pic of a pig with a 3d snout. I got sooo much precious link karma.

Back to doing some further testing. I was exploring a forest biome, hit upon a river cutting through it, and walked over a small hill. On the other side, a wolf was chasing a sheep, but the sheep was running away. I didn’t have this in mind when I wrote the code to make mobs flee, but it ended up giving me an unexpected experience of having some kind of echo system of competing behaviors in various animals, and it just felt.. nice. It made me realize we should explore more mob to mob interactions, and have more chaotic competing behavior.

I’m doing a high priority secret project this week (a prototype for a future possible project), but I already have at least three things I want to work on as soon as I get back on Minecraft work next week.

The reason it’s still fun is you. The community. Thank you. <3

TL;DR - Animals run away now when you attack them.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I never realized how strange it was that they just stood around until he fixed it. Well done Notch :bravo:

bout it flautist
Dec 25, 2005

Sometimes it's lonely being the only sock.
In the 1.8 trailer, what are the pipe looking things to the right of the melon garden at 0:53?

Lavender Philtrum
May 16, 2011

bout it flautist posted:

In the 1.8 trailer, what are the pipe looking things to the right of the melon garden at 0:53?

Those are the new Iron Bars and I believe they spawn in ruins and villages but cannot be crafted.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I like the like... experience orbs that pop out and fly over to you when you kill something. It reminds me of when you kill something in Kingdom Hearts, and have the magnet thing and all the HP and mana and Munny come flying over to you.

bout it flautist
Dec 25, 2005

Sometimes it's lonely being the only sock.

Lavender Philtrum posted:

Those are the new Iron Bars and I believe they spawn in ruins and villages but cannot be crafted.

Awesome! And also aww shucks.

Dr. Tommy John
Feb 20, 2004

"Just a few more ligaments and this baby can shoot 90!"

Macaluso posted:

I like the like... experience orbs that pop out and fly over to you when you kill something. It reminds me of when you kill something in Kingdom Hearts, and have the magnet thing and all the HP and mana and Munny come flying over to you.

I was reminded of Crackdown.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

crazylakerfan posted:

I never realized how strange it was that they just stood around until he fixed it. Well done Notch

Additionally, this means that if you're working on a complicated build and a cow or chicken walks in and starts pushing you around, you don't have to actually kill them to make them go away, which is nice.

...though that point's going to be moot since I'll need to kill them to make sure I have enough food. Argh, stop making survival a total Roguelike, Notch.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Allen Wren posted:

Argh, stop making survival a total Roguelike, Notch.

Every game should be a roguelike :smug:. Next you'll have to worry about food spoiling, perma death, and feeding villagers so they don't starve to death. I'm kidding and I really don't have any problem with roguelikes but I don't know how I feel about Minecraft getting more like a roguelike officially rather than through mods.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

I'm a bit wary of how the food system is going to work, I have a feeling it's just going to be annoying rather than adding anything to the game.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
The minecraft building! (not really)

It's actually the (almost complete) National Broadband Network HQ in Melbourne, Australia.

moondust
Feb 3, 2011

Mo' Problems

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

I'm a bit wary of how the food system is going to work, I have a feeling it's just going to be annoying rather than adding anything to the game.

Back when New Vegas' staff announced Hardcore mode I was just all "gently caress yeah", because it's a genuinely good idea. Then the reality hit me that hardcore mode kind of fuckin' sucks. Hopefully the food bar in Minecraft drains slower than the need for water in NV - I don't want to have to have a bread farm just in case pig spawns aren't reliable. OPINIONS.

drunkill posted:

It's actually the (almost complete) National Broadband Network HQ in Melbourne, Australia.

Real designers only use cloth blocks. :colbert:

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

I don't know, it seems pretty good.

It prevents you from having to eat during combat in order to heal up. If you're not planning on being in combat or using sprint (or what ever else uses up food), I assume you probably don't need to keep topping up the food meter.

Food stacking is pretty awesome as well, that's bound to add to the game if you don't have to have a million porkchop slots, and if you can cook pork as stacks finally.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
i've just returned the Chain World to Danyull. had an entertaining few hours and made a nether portal for any future people to explore (going to the nether is dangerous!)

faceplanted into a lava lake. the portal is located in the island tower's top floor, nice cozy building btw.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

drunkill posted:

Mojang should totally put a minecraft brick facade on the front of their offices.

You know, at some point I kind of hope there's a theme park minecraft thing. Maybe lego will try to court notch and we'll see some legoland stuff?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

crazylakerfan posted:

Oh god, someone needs to make a Lemmings mod.

If 1.8/1.9/2.0 supports "unbreakable" custom maps where you can give players X blocks in their starting inventory, this would be an interesting SP map mode. The game would have to support more than 10 (or whatever) mobs in a small area though; so you could drop them through a hole in the floor with pistons when you were ready.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

glug posted:

I hope that happens, I would love to tunnel under a village and wire up a line of dynamite under each building, leading to a lever in the middle of town, and then pick a fight with all of the villagers try to hold on as long as possible before triggering my surprise.

I would never play anythng other than SSP again if this happened.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I've finally gotten back into MC because of 1.8 coming soon. I've only read the last 4-5 pages of this thread, so forgive me if this has been beaten to death, but will I have to regen a new world once it hits? I know that, normally, you have to explore new chunks in order to have new stuff appear, but will this be any worse than that?

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I've finally gotten back into MC because of 1.8 coming soon. I've only read the last 4-5 pages of this thread, so forgive me if this has been beaten to death, but will I have to regen a new world once it hits? I know that, normally, you have to explore new chunks in order to have new stuff appear, but will this be any worse than that?

Have to, no. Want it to look good/fit in with your existing world without a lot of manual chunk edge landscaping, yes.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I've hated it from the start, and I really hope they keep to their original plan of it being disableable.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Cygni posted:

I've hated it from the start, and I really hope they keep to their original plan of it being disableable.

Even if they don't keep the original plan, there will DEFINITELY be a mod to disable it. That's why I don't complain that much about new features anymore: I realized that if Notch implements a feature or mob that you don't like, chances are someone who can mod properly doesn't like it either.

Beige
Sep 13, 2004
The new "good guess" for a Beta 1.8 release date is 12th of September (this monday) =( *takes cover* -Jeb

At least it will save me (and others) four days of compulsive checking for the update.

Beige fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Sep 7, 2011

Relaxodon
Oct 2, 2010
I think the best effect the food bar could have is a positive one. Instead of punishing the player for not eating he should be rewarded for keeping it full. Health regeneration, sprinting, more damage/speed while fighting and faster mining would all be excellent motivations to keep fed. Lowering my health though, i feel pushed around. Which kinda does not fit into minecrafts general design, i think.

Etan
Nov 6, 2006
A little while ago I built a cart hub in SMP that has a few drops and pistons pushing you around to get you to your destination. This was working fine for about a week, occasionally on a drop you would take half a heart of damage but it was no big deal. Now however, rather than taking a little bit of damage from a drop or being pushed by a piston you just die instantly. Does anyone know why this would start happening all of a sudden and if there is a way to fix it. I was hoping to find a mod that would fix it but haven't found one yet.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

Beige posted:

The new "good guess" for a Beta 1.8 release date is 12th of September (this monday) =( *takes cover* -Jeb

I'm probably in a minority, but I'm glad about the delay. I'm hurrying up and trying to finish my floating island before the 1.8 shift so I can switch with a clean conscience. Anyone else got hurried projects here?

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Relaxodon posted:

I think the best effect the food bar could have is a positive one. Instead of punishing the player for not eating he should be rewarded for keeping it full. Health regeneration, sprinting, more damage/speed while fighting and faster mining would all be excellent motivations to keep fed. Lowering my health though, i feel pushed around. Which kinda does not fit into minecrafts general design, i think.

Eh, it'll only kill you if you're playing on hard, and even then it likely won't be a big deal, other than the first few days, it's ridiculously easy to have a surplus of food, and food will be stackable again, so even better.
It really needs a negative side in order to have a positive.

It's kind of like the talk about getting killed that was going on earlier, someone said they liked the danger of being killed, but didn't like the penalty.
Well, if the penalty didn't exist, neither would the risk and excitement. There should be penalties to dying, currently it's just warp back to spawn, you don't lose your items unless you're dumb and fall into lava, or you don't think ahead enough to keep some spare armour and weapons at your spawn (seriously, do it, life will be much easier.)
I'm looking forward to more penalties honestly, lately when I've been playing multiplayer and have been low on health, rather than finding food, I've just been packing my items away and killing myself. That's hilariously broken. EXP and perks are gonna be awesome.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
I really hope someone mods out hunger once 1.8 comes out, because if there's anything I hate it's wandering around on the surface grinding wool/leather/pork/feathers/wood for ages. Also having to come up to the surface for more wood already sucks. I like how peaceful is going to be the only difficulty that doesn't hurt you for not eating.

E: vvvv I actually cheated when I almost fell in lava using the Equivalent Exchange mod because I wasn't going to lose 30-60 diamonds worth of equipment from one death, plus my destruction catalyst.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

wyoming posted:

if the penalty didn't exist, neither would the risk and excitement. There should be penalties to dying
Most people here agree (save some who prefer a more creative-mode style means of play or don't view that kind of penalty as necessary at all), the sentiment is just that the penalty is disproportionately frustrating and makes the game less fun, not more.
We haven't been saying there needs to be no penalty.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

PalmTreeFun posted:

I really hope someone mods out hunger once 1.8 comes out, because if there's anything I hate it's wandering around on the surface grinding wool/leather/pork/feathers/wood for ages. Also having to come up to the surface for more wood already sucks. I like how peaceful is going to be the only difficulty that doesn't hurt you for not eating.

Is there a reason you don't have an underground tree farm?

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Is there a reason you don't have an underground tree farm?

I wander around underground a lot and get lost easily, even with double torches marking the way back. v:shobon:v

If I made it I'd never find it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

PalmTreeFun posted:

I wander around underground a lot and get lost easily, even with double torches marking the way back. v:shobon:v

If I made it I'd never find it again.

Ah, ok. A proper miner/mincrafter then. Good on you! I actually play the same way.