Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Yeah he didn't do that good of a job with the smile.

Edit: Watching the show now, it seems like whenever Rocko isn't turned sideways, his mouth is behind his nose. Weird.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Sep 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
I just had a startling realization. I could always grasp the fact that Spongebob kind of stopped being any good after the movie, but I couldn't quite grasp why. The world and characters didn't change all too drastically, but everything was clearly worse. I thought I was just becoming jaded, but it struck me just moments ago; the reason new Spongebob is so bad is because they don't tell jokes anymore. Wacky poo poo happens all the time but there's no comedy anymore.
It's really tragic how badly something can fall apart when a show wants to die but the network won't let it.

Fairly Oddparents hasn't fallen as hard into this trap, though it definitely has to an extent.

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

The Steak Justice posted:

I just had a startling realization. I could always grasp the fact that Spongebob kind of stopped being any good after the movie, but I couldn't quite grasp why. The world and characters didn't change all too drastically, but everything was clearly worse. I thought I was just becoming jaded, but it struck me just moments ago; the reason new Spongebob is so bad is because they don't tell jokes anymore. Wacky poo poo happens all the time but there's no comedy anymore.
It's really tragic how badly something can fall apart when a show wants to die but the network won't let it.

Fairly Oddparents hasn't fallen as hard into this trap, though it definitely has to an extent.

There are way to many Celebrity guests as well. Spongebob has gone the way of the Simpsons.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Is FOP even making new episodes anymore? I have it set to TVR and I haven't gotten anything new in a while.

Edit: Also the reason so many shows fall into that trap is because you have to be very active and innovative as a writer to keep an older property fresh. You need to constantly try new things and be willing to take risks now and again. This is relatively easy early on because you have no established cannon to gently caress up or fans to piss off. However once you find some success the temptation to stop thinking actively and just stick with what you know works and not rock the boat can become awful tempting. Particularly when a LOT of money is riding on you what you're doing.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Sep 7, 2011

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Didn't the original guy behind it all jump ship after the movie as well?

Also, Spongebob Squarepants has been around for 12 years :wtc:

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?

Farbtoner posted:

Steve Hillenberg and a lot of the original writing staff (who were also Rocko veterans) did leave the show either immediately after the feature or sometime afterward. I think SpongeBob's problem is the same as The Simpsons's- it's been on the air for so long and all the original staff is long gone, not that it has any signs of leaving anytime soon.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

the reason new Spongebob is so bad is because they don't tell jokes anymore. Wacky poo poo happens all the time but there's no comedy anymore.
That really reminds me of this New York Times article about the rise of the "jokeless comedy." It talks about movies, but it's applicable to Spongebob as well.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/29/magazine/the-hangover-and-the-age-of-the-jokeless-comedy.html?_r=1

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

They're still making new episodes of Spongebob Squarepants? I'm surprised more at that than anything else.

Y-Hat posted:

That really reminds me of this New York Times article about the rise of the "jokeless comedy." It talks about movies, but it's applicable to Spongebob as well.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/29/magazine/the-hangover-and-the-age-of-the-jokeless-comedy.html?_r=1

That's a pretty poo poo article, he seems to be suggesting that there's something inherently wrong with a comedy that doesn't have slapstick and puns.

raditts fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Sep 7, 2011

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

raditts posted:

That's a pretty poo poo article, he seems to be suggesting that there's something inherently wrong with a comedy that doesn't have slapstick and puns.

I don't think he's implying there's something inherently wrong with that kind of comedy, just lamenting at the fact that it's the only kind on the market nowadays.

Also, I'd say there's definitely something wrong with a cartoon without at least a little slapstick, but that could just be my Looney Tunes upbringing talking.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Fairly Oddparents is slowly dying out, and it probably will just be gone one day and never be seen again, since Nickelodeon doesn't like to give finales. Butch Hartman's already moved on, and there was that terrible live-action movie.

Spongebob was good back when the fact that they were all fish underwater meant something. The original creator was a marine biologist, but now every side character is just another fish.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Fairly Oddparents is slowly dying out, and it probably will just be gone one day and never be seen again, since Nickelodeon doesn't like to give finales.

The Angry Beavers people got Nickelodeon's nuts in a sling when they actually wrote a final episode in which they just flat out said "Look kids, it's reruns from now on."

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

I've just insulted the macaroni and cheese recipe of a whale! What part of that is not evil?

EasyEW posted:

The Angry Beavers people got Nickelodeon's nuts in a sling when they actually wrote a final episode in which they just flat out said "Look kids, it's reruns from now on."

There's also a lot of jokes about cancellation being a metaphor for death (actually referring to death or even saying the word was also a big no-no), and a reference to the fact that they couldn't say "shut up" in later years after they got complaints about it. (There was one episode where a "shut up" had to be overdubbed with "shush up" but Nick Bakay wasn't available in time to do it for the first airing, so it originally aired with the "shut" being bleeped- which made me think he was saying "gently caress off" since the "up" sounded a little like "off.") Basically, the entire script is a big "gently caress you" to Nickelodeon. Or should I say "shush you?"

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION

Farbtoner posted:

Also, Spongebob Squarepants has been around for 12 years :wtc:

Spongebob has been on the air longer than the Beatles were together.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

mobo85 posted:

Steve Hillenberg and a lot of the original writing staff (who were also Rocko veterans) did leave the show either immediately after the feature or sometime afterward. I think SpongeBob's problem is the same as The Simpsons's- it's been on the air for so long and all the original staff is long gone, not that it has any signs of leaving anytime soon.

What's Hillenberg been up to since, anyway? It's been like half a decade since the movie came about and I haven't heard anything about him since.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

Behonkiss posted:

What's Hillenberg been up to since, anyway? It's been like half a decade since the movie came about and I haven't heard anything about him since.

He's still with SpongeBob, but in an executive producer role rather than working directly on the show.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
So Nick linked this on their Facebook, and it's pretty great:
http://www.nick.com/safety/index.jhtml
It's an internet safety guide from Rocko's Modern Life, way back when.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
According to my DVR Young Justice on friday is a new episode. Is this true?

Pfefferbao
Jun 1, 2011

Neo Helbeast posted:

According to my DVR Young Justice on friday is a new episode. Is this true?

It's new as in not aired on tv but was for a couple of hours on the CN website a month or two ago.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Good lord, this Young Justice situation is such a clusterfuck. Is it really that hard to just sit on enough completed episodes to produce a consistent output of one ep per week until an entire season has been aired?

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

The new loony toons show would of been better as a generic fantasy epic.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

That is... Wow... :stare:

Points to the show. They finally made one of those MM bits that's worth watching.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

That still doesn't make up for this.

Everything about that song is terrible.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

But they also made This so

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
They posted the preview for Ponies season 2.

There's also a 20 second clip that introduces the bad guy that's up on the Hub's site.
It's their version of Mim the Dragon Queen called Dragonokis

http://www.hubworld.com/watch/1159708008001/my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic-clip-the-return-of-harmony-pt-1

Vaerai Archon fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Sep 15, 2011

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Vaerai Archon posted:

There's also a 20 second clip that introduces the bad guy that's up on the Hub's site.

http://www.hubworld.com/watch/1159708008001/my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic-clip-the-return-of-harmony-pt-1

So I made the mistake of watching the Gem and the Holograms video on the side and I had flashback 'Nam style of watching that show with my sister as a kid. God 80's cartoons were terrible (yes there are extremely notable exceptions to this statement).

Also I picked up the complete set of Teen Titans a show that I had been nolstagiaing about and well it's kind of bad now. When it was on I watched it (and Justice League) religiously but, now I fast forward through most episodes. The voice acting is still great but, I can't quite put my finger on why I'm having trouble watching it. I guess it's just my poor taste in shows shining through.

Also ReBoot is now on Netflix instant.

Also also ZyuRanger is great but it is no DaiRanger.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Neo Helbeast posted:

Also I picked up the complete set of Teen Titans a show that I had been nolstagiaing about and well it's kind of bad now. When it was on I watched it (and Justice League) religiously but, now I fast forward through most episodes. The voice acting is still great but, I can't quite put my finger on why I'm having trouble watching it. I guess it's just my poor taste in shows shining through.

I think it's because, in retrospect, a lot of episodes of Teen Titans just aren't very good. I also watched TT religiously back when it was on the air. I mean, the whole point of the show was kind of to have wacky adventures in comparison to the more serious JLU, but a lot of the episodes are so focused on being funny that it crosses the line from "wacky superhero show" to "loving annoying slapstick". For example, I just can't rewatch any of the episodes that feature Mad Mod. Goddamn those are focused on too much stupidity and not enough hero-ing. The best ones either balance the comedy and the action or are straight-up action (like the final run, man I liked those episodes).

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

TwoPair posted:

I think it's because, in retrospect, a lot of episodes of Teen Titans just aren't very good. I also watched TT religiously back when it was on the air. I mean, the whole point of the show was kind of to have wacky adventures in comparison to the more serious JLU, but a lot of the episodes are so focused on being funny that it crosses the line from "wacky superhero show" to "loving annoying slapstick". For example, I just can't rewatch any of the episodes that feature Mad Mod. Goddamn those are focused on too much stupidity and not enough hero-ing. The best ones either balance the comedy and the action or are straight-up action (like the final run, man I liked those episodes).

That's because everybody likes Ron Perlman.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Wow, this clip kind of made me go through a few episodes on Youtube and I have to say I'm generally pretty pleased with how the show came out. Crazy Lola stalking Daffy was pretty great.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Neo Helbeast posted:

That's because everybody likes Ron Perlman.

Seriously, I hate Deathstroke in comics, but I loved Teen Titans' Slade. I'm also glad they just used Slade, as "Deathstroke" always struck me as a little over the top in villain names. Especially when use the whole line of "Deathstroke the Terminator" it sounds especially silly.

mobo85
Apr 21, 2007

As if we needed any more evidence that Daffy Duck is certifiably insane...

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

TwoPair posted:

Seriously, I hate Deathstroke in comics, but I loved Teen Titans' Slade. I'm also glad they just used Slade, as "Deathstroke" always struck me as a little over the top in villain names. Especially when use the whole line of "Deathstroke the Terminator" it sounds especially silly.

They could have just went with "the Terminator," which is what the comics referred to him as for the first few years. But then again that sounds silly too and has become engrained in the public consciousness as another character entirely.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Am I the only one who thinks this is still terrible? The lyrics are so clunky and none of it was funny at all.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Am I the only one who thinks this is still terrible? The lyrics are so clunky and none of it was funny at all.

I thought it was pretty funny, but I thought part of the reason was that it was so over the top terrible and melodramatic. Meta humour I guess? I dunno :haw:

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Martytoof posted:

I thought it was pretty funny, but I thought part of the reason was that it was so over the top terrible and melodramatic. Meta humour I guess? I dunno :haw:

I also get a Dio Holy diver vibe from it too.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Yeah I just posted it because I though the animation of the fantasy bits was really amazing looking.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

This was on last night:

Having way too much fun with 90s on Nick. Kinda wish there was more variety (all the shows so far you can buy on DVD or online VoD) and that the upcoming Stick Stickly viewer's pick stuff was more than just Friday, though. The editing/logos are a bit much, too.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Vaerai Archon posted:

More importantly he's voiced by John de Lancie and is quite literally Q.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Vaerai Archon posted:

I love that the kids got into a fistfight over a statue's artistic subtext.

NO IT REPRESENTS THE HUMAN CONDITION YOU F#$^%ing C%#$ BUCKET!

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
They're rebooting Sabrina The Teenage Witch

And now she's got a full on superhero costume complete with 3-inch heel hookerboots.

Her regular costume is fine though, with the exception (again) of the ridiculous boots meant to suggest ye olden tyme colonial footwear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
All I can think when I see that art is Total Sabrina 6teen. Not loving it.