Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

kcroy posted:

Seriously.. people talk about that goddamn thing so much at first, and then its like "welp, guess we will never mention the giant foreboding comet trail kicking around up there ever again."
We are shown what the comet is all about the very instant it appears: the return of dragons to the world, the most cosmic event of this era by orders of magnitude.

All of the hubbub about it in Clash, with nearly every faction claiming it for their own, is something that the reader notices and that makes them smirk since they have already seen in the previous book what the comet really means.

Gurm loves his unfinished plot threads, but this isn't one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

The comet arrives at the end of Game, but then fades away at the end of Clash. You know, like comets do. It's then refereed to in the following books whenever the prophecy featuring it is brought up. How is that a dropped plot point?

KillRoy
Dec 28, 2004
I many not go down in history but I'll go down on you sister.
I know Davos lost his fingerbag(*) in the Backwater battle,but is there any way Melisandra has it? When she's telling Jon about how she shapeshifts Nance, she says its easier when have a piece of the person your impersonating, like some blood, hair, or a" bag of bones." Maybe she switched at somepoint for the bag Davis lost in backwater. Davis has almost always opposed Meisandre, maybe she's hoping to switch him out with a Davos that would agree with her in order to get Stannis to burn Riickon or something.

* autospell changed fingerbag to fingerbang.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

KillRoy posted:

I know Davos lost his fingerbag(*) in the Backwater battle,but is there any way Melisandra has it? When she's telling Jon about how she shapeshifts Nance, she says its easier when have a piece of the person your impersonating, like some blood, hair, or a" bag of bones." Maybe she switched at somepoint for the bag Davis lost in backwater. Davis has almost always opposed Meisandre, maybe she's hoping to switch him out with a Davos that would agree with her in order to get Stannis to burn Riickon or something.

* autospell changed fingerbag to fingerbang.

I don't know. She seems to like him well enough, since he's legit about helping Stannis. I mean she didn't even have him killed after he thought about stabbing her to death. Also how the hell would she get it?

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Drunkboxer posted:

I don't know. She seems to like him well enough, since he's legit about helping Stannis. I mean she didn't even have him killed after he thought about stabbing her to death. Also how the hell would she get it?

Why, through the magic of narratorial hand-waving, of course!*

*(I don't mean this as a slight against Martin; I think it's the type of thing which could be easily explained as having taken place off-screen in some mysterious manner.)

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal
I thought about Davos as well when I read that but going back to Clash, Davos strokes his fingerbag while on his ship before the battle. So he certainly had them right before the battle. I guess she could have swapped them with a fake bag, but I kinda doubt that. Unless it happened off screen the only time she was with Davos alone was when she was pumping out a stabbing shadow baby.

Quantify!
Apr 3, 2009

by Fistgrrl

Drunkboxer posted:

Also how the hell would she get it?
Please, don't puncture holes in shoddy theories by pointing out that the plot would have to leap several chasms of faith to make these outlandish events happen.

Bran is obviously going to be the Big Bad of the series, but Melisandre will turn Patchface into fake-Davos to wield the true Lightbringer, which is actually Ghost.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Feel pretty dumb after just reading that Ser Patrek was a cowboys fan stand in, getting his head smashed in by a giant. I feel like should have gotten that.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Obviously the fingerbone bag was a fake, if Davos had his luck then his fate on the Blackwater would have been different. Melisandre indirectly killed all his sons.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Junkenstein posted:

The comet arrives at the end of Game, but then fades away at the end of Clash. You know, like comets do. It's then refereed to in the following books whenever the prophecy featuring it is brought up. How is that a dropped plot point?

I don't remember anyone mentioning that it faded - I just don't remember anyone mentioning it again. So maybe its not dropped - I'll check it out again on the inevitable re-read through.

Edit:
>You know, like comets do.
I honestly assumed it was up there the whole time Good Ser!

kcroy fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Sep 7, 2011

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Drunkboxer posted:

Feel pretty dumb after just reading that Ser Patrek was a cowboys fan stand in, getting his head smashed in by a giant. I feel like should have gotten that.

Wait, what?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Xguard86 posted:

Wait, what?

His heraldry and cloak were like silver and blue, with a five pointed star. He was some cowboy fan/blogger/friend of GRRM that won (lost?) a bet with him on a NFL game and got inserted into the book as a character, apparently. I don't feel bad that I didnt know that, obviously, but I feel like I should have noticed that the heraldry was essentially their uniform. Also GRRM is apparently giants fan. Har dee har har.

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Sep 8, 2011

Ecco the Dolphin
Aug 7, 2004

bloop bloop
^^^^
gurm is a Jets man, not Giants.

Xguard86 posted:

Wait, what?

Ser Patrek, the guy who got killed by the giant right before Jon was stabbed. Patrek was the name of a guy who won some contest to be namedropped in the book (IIRC). He was a Cowboys fan and gurm loves him some NFL, so Ser Patrek's standard was a star, the Cowboys logo. The Giants part is probably a stretch, but could maybe be a reference to the Giants beating Dallas in their first-ever postseason meeting in 2007, before the Giants went on to win the Super Bowl.

I'm not sure why he feels like he should have gotten that, either.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Ecco the Dolphin posted:

^^^^

Ser Patrek, the guy who got killed by the giant right before Jon was stabbed. Patrek was the name of a guy who won some contest to be namedropped in the book (IIRC). He was a Cowboys fan and gurm loves him some NFL, so Ser Patrek's standard was a star, the Cowboys logo. The Giants part is probably a stretch, but could maybe be a reference to the Giants beating Dallas in their first-ever postseason meeting in 2007, before the Giants went on to win the Super Bowl.

I'm not sure why he feels like he should have gotten that, either.

That went right over my head, too, and doesn't really bother me. At least I picked up on Doran Martell being a homosexual.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Ecco the Dolphin posted:

^^^^

This is so stupid but I'm pretty sure he is a fan of both teams.

Le Woad
Dec 3, 2004

"What we gonna write today, pen? You think we should write an erotic dystopian cyber-thriller?! You crazy, pen."

Sexpansion posted:

This is so stupid but I'm pretty sure he is a fan of both teams.

Weirdly enough yes, this is true, he loves them both. He justifies it pretty much every weekend during the season on notablog but it's still pretty stupid for as intense a fan as he is.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Le Woad posted:

Weirdly enough yes, this is true, he loves them both. He justifies it pretty much every weekend during the season on notablog but it's still pretty stupid for as intense a fan as he is.

He loves his football like he loves his food - indiscriminately and in enormous quantities.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Habibi posted:

He loves his football like he loves his food - indiscriminately and in enormous quantities.

And dripping down his chin?

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Le Woad posted:

It's not so weird. They're both New York teams and they're not rivals like the Mets fans think the Mets and Yankees are.

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?
Tried doing a google search, but there didn't seem to be a good conclusion summary of theories that gained further evidence and new ones that emerged from ADWD. I'm running through this thread slowly, but drat it's like another 1500 pages to run through.

I did run in a crazy poo poo theory here that Tyrion is a secret Targ because Mad Aerys raped Joanna Lannister and he always dreams of dragons which Aemon said is a Targ trait.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Oh poo poo you just had too didn't you?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
well that all makes sense. I avoided anything about Martin or the books until I finished everything, so I just didn't know he was a football fan.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Xguard86 posted:

well that all makes sense. I avoided anything about Martin or the books until I finished everything, so I just didn't know he was a football fan.

The only things he like more than football is pizza and sweaty sex at conventions, while eating pizza.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Habibi posted:

That went right over my head, too, and doesn't really bother me. At least I picked up on Doran Martell being a homosexual.

Definitely way past beating a dead horse. In fact, I think only a skeleton remains now.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Azure_Horizon posted:

Definitely way past beating a dead horse. In fact, I think only a skeleton remains now.

A skeleton that must be yet again dug up and bludgeoned with each new page.

McLarenF1
Jan 9, 2004

Looking to Buy a McLaren, Anyone Selling One .... Cheap?
I missed that. What's the evidence that Doran Martell is a homosexual? He does have 3 kids right?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Wun Wun's mammoth? Totally gay.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Longclaw? Gayer than Kevin Spacey with Liberace lodged in his colon.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Welp, finally finished ADWD. I found it fairly bland, really. Just more setup for the main story, instead of stuff, you know, actually happening. It feels like both this and AFFC were all just build up to what's to cone, and I find myself losing interest. I want to see them fight the drat Others already.

He's killed so many characters that it's not even shocking anymore. It's just lovely. I went into this fully expecting Jon, Tyrion, or Arya to bite it, so Jon's death was just narrowing down the list of characters I care to read about.

He's making me feel like he's going to have all the important people be new characters plus Danaerys when the battle finally happens, which is just dumb. The characters are what made the books for me, and to just move away from all of them by killing them off one by one while introducing even more people to keep track of is really annoying.

I liked seeing hints about the schemes going on behind the scenes, but it's been 5 books already. Just move on with it already.

So I don't have to read this whole thread, what's the goon consensus on this one?

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Day Man posted:

So I don't have to read this whole thread, what's the goon consensus on this one?

Dunno if there exists a consensus. I made it to half way through, stopped at the point where dwarf love is in the air. Will try to read a little more while our dear leader is wasting more airtime, and I am waiting for football to start. Not very compelled, however.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Day Man posted:

I've been away for quite a while, but this one probably ranks above Feast but below Swords. Probably right in the middle of the hive mind is my guess.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Solice Kirsk posted:

I've been away for quite a while, but this one probably ranks above Feast but below Swords. Probably right in the middle of the hive mind is my guess.

I'd put it just above Feast, below the others. It feels like he's just dragging his feet.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Azure_Horizon posted:

At least it's a gay skeleton. You can tell because of the way its bony wrist hangs so limply.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Day Man posted:

I'd put it just above Feast, below the others. It feels like he's just dragon his feet.

We use puns round these parts sir.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Solice Kirsk posted:

We use puns round these parts sir.

Sorry.

Oh, and did anyone else think that the only reason GRRM had those seven beautiful nude madens get sacrificed was so he could do casting for seven different beautiful nude women when they get to that part in the tv show?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ha! Yes. Yes I did. I also think that is why there was a bunch more Dany sex too. But I don't think the show will make it to season 6 or 7 or whatever anyways. Its going to get cancelled after season 3 right after the Red Wedding and TVIV is going to explode. Meanwhile True Blood will be on season 8 and show no signs of stopping.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

Azure_Horizon posted:

Totally right man, lets talk about the healthy, nubile maiden that is "Tyrion is a Targ" and her hot twin sister "Penny ruined Tyrion, that stumpy bitch".

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
George's own website still says that ADWD is "forthcoming". Maybe this is all a clever ploy!

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Day Man posted:

Welp, finally finished ADWD. I found it fairly bland, really. Just more setup for the main story, instead of stuff, you know, actually happening. It feels like both this and AFFC were all just build up to what's to cone, and I find myself losing interest. I want to see them fight the drat Others already.

He's killed so many characters that it's not even shocking anymore. It's just lovely. I went into this fully expecting Jon, Tyrion, or Arya to bite it, so Jon's death was just narrowing down the list of characters I care to read about.

He's making me feel like he's going to have all the important people be new characters plus Danaerys when the battle finally happens, which is just dumb. The characters are what made the books for me, and to just move away from all of them by killing them off one by one while introducing even more people to keep track of is really annoying.

I liked seeing hints about the schemes going on behind the scenes, but it's been 5 books already. Just move on with it already.

Depends on who you ask. Either people rabidly hate it and find it totally disappointing, or love the hell out of it and put it above AGOT, ACOK, and AFFC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
I'm actually really on board consolidating part of ASoS into the end of Season 2, part of AFfC into Season 3 and mashing AFfC/ADwD together into Season 4.

It really shouldn't be 7-8 seasons long. Even if the material is good, TV shows just shouldn't last that long. Also some of the story lines can start to be told out of chronological order as long as come together when they're supposed to, especially Arya, Dany, Jon, Victarion, Quenten and Aegon's storylines. They're all pretty removed from the King's Landing/War of the 5 Kings poo poo for large parts of their arcs, so they can be moved forward or backward to squeeze the books into fewer seasons.