Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
was bumpin this on the india tapes for a couple years before he did this, probably the best off that album for both of them...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glorp
Dec 12, 2004

by T. Butt
the only good songs off that album were the beats he jacked from oh no and madlib (i use jack liberally)

e: which were themselves the best songs on their respective tapes

glorp fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Sep 8, 2011

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:
Wow, i'm not the one to be embarrased by stupid poo poo I say on the internet, but I am sorry, I should have listened to the no drunk posting rule.

I do stand by not really knowing anything about Mos Def and not really caring about him.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

yea you did: http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008/02/17/69-mos-def/

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

I hope Eve is onthere and stops being a horrible actress and raps again

Eve is the poo poo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyJA19A65sA

also:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBU1cT0FY7M

Teepkick Shakur
May 16, 2008

by XyloJW

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

Wow, i'm not the one to be embarrased by stupid poo poo I say on the internet, but I am sorry, I should have listened to the no drunk posting rule.

Clearly you're not one to learn from your mistakes either. I've quoted you without the second half so that you have the option of removing it. If you are quick enough you can edit it out so that not everyone associates your opinion with that of a a disingenuous ignoramus who will go on about the powerful long lasting impact of an artist who as it turns out, they admittedly know nothing about.

You're probably a good guy and your opinion deserves to be taken into account instead of laughed at and tossed aside. I'm trying to help you. Let me help you. Why wont you let me help you?

Teepkick Shakur fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Sep 8, 2011

WHOLE DIK AND NUTS
Aug 18, 2011

by Duchess Gummybuns

Teepkick Shakur posted:

Clearly you're not one to learn from your mistakes either. I've quoted you without the second half so that you have the option of removing it. If you are quick enough you can edit it out so that not everyone associates your opinion with that of a a disingenuous ignoramus who will go on about the powerful long lasting impact of an artist who as it turns out, they admittedly know nothing about.

You're probably a good guy and your opinion deserves to be taken into account instead of laughed at and tossed aside. I'm trying to help you. Let me help you. Why wont you let me help you?

Why are you being such a dick? Oh wait you are always a dick because not everyone has an encyclopedic knowledge of rap and sometimes makes mistakes and your taste is impeccable.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Mos Def suffers from Nasty Nas syndrome as neither one can recapture their initial charm.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Teepkick Shakur posted:

There's really no need to be a jerk to someone who's already posted his mea culpa, man.

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with
Phat Radical Mathematical type Scriptures

snyprmag posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzcFjJSgWfE
New Mr. Muthafuckin exQuire; putting more El-p instrumentals to good use. Apparently his album is coming out on 9-11.

This guy is great. I still can't get over how much he sounds like old school Method MZA- in the best way. Him and Action Bronson are 7 members away from forming a wu-tang tribute group.

Teepkick Shakur
May 16, 2008

by XyloJW

WHOLE DIK AND NUTS posted:

Why are you being such a dick? Oh wait you are always a dick because not everyone has an encyclopedic knowledge of rap and sometimes makes mistakes and your taste is impeccable.

I dont think implying that I have an encyclopedic knowledge of rap and as such am also infallible, is really the best way to go about putting me down. While its true, I do have a breathtaking grasps of the genre and I am in fact always correct, those are actually just compliments. And I thank you for those. I'm flattered.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Does anyone know of rappers or styles of rap similar to the first verse of American Greed by NWL? The song is at http://cunninlynguists.bandcamp.com/track/american-greed-f-natti and I'm really digging it again after putting it down for a while.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.
Is no one else listening to Boss Of All Bosses 2.8 with Cam & Vado?

SLIIIIME!

I swear Vado is the most slept on rapper out right now.

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with

dethkon posted:

Oh yeah I got Cookies or Comas the minute I heard about it. So great. Honestly though, there's so much new, great music coming out through Mixtapes and EPs and poo poo that I'm actually having a hard time keeping up, maybe for the first time ever! It's like even if I find a tape that I REALLY love, I don't even get enough time to spin it over and over and learn all the words backwards and front like I used to, until I'm already racing to download the next one.

So far I've got the new Jean Grae, Skyzoo, the duct tape ent tapes, Z-Ro 5200, Will Brennan, Prodigy - Ellsworth Bumpy whateverwhatever, Random Axe, a few OFWGKTA tracks, Casey Veggies, Shaolin vs. Wu-Tang, Danger Zone, all that MMG like the new Pill - The Diagnoses, DaVinci, Bad Meets Evil, and all these Watch the Throne and GOOD Friday singles all in the rotation.

I'm about to have a rap attack. :ssj:

I went back and dug this post up now that I've had a chance to give all these a listen. Thoughts:

Jean Grae - Cookies or Comas: Great, of course. Jean's been one of the absolute top MCs, male OR female, in rap for over a decade. The thought occurred to me while listening that maybe Nicki Minaj inspired her to come out extra hard on this to re-establish her dominance. Two reasons: 1) Jean's been kind of inactive in the period before dropping this and 2) She's twisted up her laser-precise flow and voice, and don't kill me for saying this, but sort of sounds like a [more skilled] Nicki on some tracks (Killing Em). Really, she sounds somewhere between classic Jean/What? What? and Busta Rhymes. Best tracks come three-in-a-row: Assassin's, Jeanie Rules, and Blame Game. Thumbs up.

Skyzoo - The Great Debater: Top quality lyricism and production start to finish. Christ Skyzoo really has bars for days, but enough content to make 16 tracks go by easy. Hard to pick favorite tracks, but I really love the back to back "For the Awake" and "For the Sleepers." The final track is an epic, hookless rap over a David Axelrod sample mixed with live instruments that builds with intensity until he's rapping his mind off over the sample, live drums, horns, and a guitar solo. Thumbs up.

Z-Ro 5200: Like someone else says, basically standard Z-Ro crooning over good beats. I love everything Z-Ro puts out though. Thumbs up.

Duct Tape Entertainment tapes: Honestly, I was more impressed by what I heard from Trouble (December 17th mixtape) than Alley Boy. I still need to listen to these more though, so he may grow on me now. Thumbs sideway for now.

Prodigy - Ellsworth Bumpy Whatever: I thought this was a great return to form for Prodigy, straight out the box. I dared get my hopes up that prison hadn't destroyed P's ability to rhyme, only to have them expertly smashed by this career-ending poo poo. What a shame. The EP is still decent, though.

Random Axe: Dissapointing, for some reason I can't really put my finger on... wait yes I can. Every song was just me waiting for Sean P to get on the mic and do his King Kong thing thing. Someone needs to remix this thing with only P's verses and some different beats, cause I was just fast-forwarding most of it to be honest. For such an awesome group of talent this should've been a lot better. Thumbs down, but still better than most other poo poo out there.

Casey Veggies - Sleeping in Class: This is the best OFWGKTA release since Blackendwhite, strange cause Casey Veggies isn't even in odd future... Thumbs Up.

Raekwon - Shaolin vs. Wu-Tang: This was a hot album. I don't know what Rae's been doing to wake up since OBfCL2 (it's coke), but this poo poo rules. Really tight production, tight coke-raps and stories, good guest appearances, and the best thing is that it's undeniably wu-tang through and through (unlike Ghost's last album, Apollo Kids, which was also very good). 5 out of 5 chef hats.

MMG - Self Made: I don't know what more needs to be said about this album that hasn't been said. The production is just unbelievable. You could record owls loving and lay it over these beats, and it'd still slap hard. Sound better than Wale, too.

Big L - DANGERZONE and Pill - Diagnoses: I didn't get these yet.

DaVinci - The Day the Turf Stood Still, Feast of Famine: I'm forever indebted to whoever it was that persistently posted DaVinci tracks in here until I finally clicked one. Both these albums are amazing- he's talented, he's got a lot to say, and he's got good beats behind him. AND he's got good output.

Bad Meets Evil - Hell: The Sequel: For some reason listening to this feels like a guilty pleasure. But honestly, it's great, rapid-fire rap about rapping. For an album people were waiting on for more than a decade, I'm glad they went the route of dropping a long EP instead of hyping up some kind of mega-album (like WTT). Speaking of...

Watch the Throne: Sweet Baby Jesus. "This album is baby-thighs son" -fake ghostface. I don't really gently caress with this, nor have I met anyone in real life who actually listened to it more than one and a half times through. Remember when Jay made this song? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9Cg4C766Ec I don't, because I was 7. I've got nothing against old-guys rapping, and I think that Jay has aged more gracefully than a lot of other rappers. But he's got to hang it up, the fact is that there's a very long list of other, younger MCs who could've taken his spot on this album and made it way better.

Roc Marciano & Gangrene - Greneberg EP: Roc Marciano does that 90s throwback thing really well, honestly this was one of the most enjoyable EPs I got to listen to. Tough beats and rhymes that wouldn't sound out of place in mid-90s NY (except for 1 track, Jet Luggage). I'm gonna be checking for Gangrene a lot in the future, Alchemist and Oh No make a badass production team.

There's DefKon's rap reviews, 9/8/11. Catch me next week after I get through this next pile of new-to-me albums: OneBeLo - Laborhood Part 1 and 2, Freddie Gibbs - Lord Taketh, Lord Taketh Away, Success is Certain, Death is Certain (yep), Kendrick Lamar - Section.80, R.E.D. Album, Carter IV, Cam & VadoBoss of all Bosses 2.8, Danny Brown - XXX, Apathy - Honkey Kong, and more. One.

edit: fixed vcode. I just got Boss of All Bosses 2.8, gonna listen tomorrow.

SOME PIG fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Sep 8, 2011

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

Teepkick Shakur posted:

Ehh I'm also not one for pretending I never said something.

juicy_J
Jun 25, 2004
I.O.U. one gmail invite

dethkon posted:

Prodigy - Ellsworth Bumpy Whatever: I thought this was a great return to form for Prodigy, straight out the box. I dared get my hopes up that prison hadn't destroyed P's ability to rhyme, only to have them expertly smashed by this career-ending poo poo. What a shame. The EP is still decent, though.

nonsense P is still ill have you heard these verses since he got out:
http://youtu.be/abxRn7Gn5bE
http://youtu.be/eb8-tZgPkz4
http://youtu.be/exwhUGaw1pY

Teepkick Shakur
May 16, 2008

by XyloJW
Yeah I love that Prodigy album there are some tracks that are as good as anything he's ever done. These two in particular.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gngekTD_5cs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnRoETnXL58

I also really the Hoodlum concept. Pretty solid on the whole.

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

vanbags posted:

Is no one else listening to Boss Of All Bosses 2.8 with Cam & Vado?

SLIIIIME!

I swear Vado is the most slept on rapper out right now.

YES

nice to hear jim + cam back together. no juelz tho..

in other news carter 4 almostnsold a million. anyone else think birdman bought up a shitload of copies? i mean the buzz for this album is not even an eighth of the buzz for C3. either that or wayne has entered em territory (sells no matter what)

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

farmtrill posted:

YES

nice to hear jim + cam back together. no juelz tho..

in other news carter 4 almostnsold a million. anyone else think birdman bought up a shitload of copies? i mean the buzz for this album is not even an eighth of the buzz for C3. either that or wayne has entered em territory (sells no matter what)

I think it's the latter. I literally can't remember one person not on the internet talking about Em's last albums and they sold nearly 10 mil combined (worldwide). The buzz wasn't as much, but it didn't need to be. Hell, those crappy throwaways he did went gold (the rock one and i am not a human being).

I'll have to listen to that Prodigy album again, I didn't really like it on first listen but Return of the Mac and HNIC 2 were both killer so I'll check it again.

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

jeez i didnt realise they went gold too. i didnt even realise carter 4 was coming out until after it leaked so they mustve marketed it better in uh-merica

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with

Teepkick Shakur posted:

Yeah I love that Prodigy album there are some tracks that are as good as anything he's ever done. These two in particular.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gngekTD_5cs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnRoETnXL58

I also really the Hoodlum concept. Pretty solid on the whole.

I liked Bumpy Johnson (no homo). It just shook me to hear P use that Waka Flocka beat. But yes, honestly he's had more good verses/tracks then bad ones since he got out.

edit: The second video has an awesome Belly reference:

"I'm gullier than Lennox/
yeah, 'don't bring scared business round me/
my 16 hard like Rockwilder"

I love catching poo poo like that. 12 years later and rappers still quoting Belly. The importance of that movie to hip-hop cannot be understated.

SOME PIG fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Sep 9, 2011

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

dethkon posted:

DaVinci - The Day the Turf Stood Still, Feast of Famine: I'm forever indebted to whoever it was that persistently posted DaVinci tracks in here until I finally clicked one. Both these albums are amazing- he's talented, he's got a lot to say, and he's got good beats behind him. AND he's got good output.

That would be me I believe...he really deserves more fans, he has a lot of talent and always good production. And if you liked those two albums, you should check out his 2007 album Butter and Gunz:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-BYA_dFso8&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca5_z-VP7K8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BpG3dwWkmg&feature=related

juicy_J
Jun 25, 2004
I.O.U. one gmail invite

dethkon posted:

I liked Bumpy Johnson (no homo). It just shook me to hear P use that Waka Flocka beat. But yes, honestly he's had more good verses/tracks then bad ones since he got out.

I think P was saying that there was gonna be a waka collab on the new mobb deep album, I can't wait for that poo poo

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
I've been listening to HNIC2 for a cpl days

Jock Mocken
Apr 7, 2005

on point like a unicorn, strapped like tha unabomb
everyday a work day but dont wear a uniform
Gucci Mane a dapper don, capper like a Capricorn

dethkon posted:

Watch the Throne: Sweet Baby Jesus. "This album is baby-thighs son" -fake ghostface. I don't really gently caress with this, nor have I met anyone in real life who actually listened to it more than one and a half times through. Remember when Jay made this song? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9Cg4C766Ec I don't, because I was 7. I've got nothing against old-guys rapping, and I think that Jay has aged more gracefully than a lot of other rappers. But he's got to hang it up, the fact is that there's a very long list of other, younger MCs who could've taken his spot on this album and made it way better.

:respek: although the Chopped Not Slopped version just came out last week so I'm listening to that right now.

e: also I need to listen to that Roc Marciano; dude is basically the best at what he does though I really like him over his own beats

farmtrill posted:

jeez i didnt realise they went gold too. i didnt even realise carter 4 was coming out until after it leaked so they mustve marketed it better in uh-merica

Not really that I noticed but Wayne has entered the Jay-Z/Eminem realm where people who don't really Care about rap will buy their poo poo no matter what

juicy_J
Jun 25, 2004
I.O.U. one gmail invite
roc marciano didn't get much love here but marcberg was by far the best album of 2010

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

juicy_J posted:

roc marciano didn't get much love here but marcberg was by far the best album of 2010

People talked about it some but imo it wasn't even close to being the best. It's just more generic retro 90's NY poo poo. Nineteen Ninety Now did the same thing but better.

I've talked about this before but really dudes from NY need to quit trying to remake Infamous/Illmatic. The last great NY album I can think of is Return of the Mac.

juicy_J
Jun 25, 2004
I.O.U. one gmail invite
I disagree, i don't think it was a throwback album. the production and lyricism were progressive though he captured a golden era feel. I got more of a modern day curtis mayfield superfly vibe from it than illmatic.

Teepkick Shakur
May 16, 2008

by XyloJW
There were some tracks on that album that certifiably better than anything out that year, My Tears, It's A Crime, and Pop. But sometimes his flow just sounds sleepy as hell. His interpretation of classic wu boom bap is just right though.

So, i've been sleeping on Danny Brown and decided to give him a shot today. Saw a few of his spots on radioshows up on youtube and had to grab his last album XXX. I love the dudes style and I'm interested to see where his huge MF Doom & Nas influences take him. I'm surprised there wasn't a Doom guest spot on the album because some of the beats could have easily been something you would expect from him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBdIo2hCenk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmqU0dqZzAQ

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with
Speaking of rappers re-making Illmatic, I think it's funny that there were two projects that literally did this in the last 12 months: eLZhi's El-matic and Fashawn's Ode to Illmatic.

No dissrespect to Fashawn, who's a dope lyricist, but El's product was just unbeatable, which more impressive since he was late to the punch. I mean, it's basically a blueprint for how to re-make a classic album with respect to the original but also put a spin on it that make's it undeniably yours.

As far as XXX, I'm about to get in the proper mindset (har) and listen start to finish.

e-double: Looking at the album cover for the last couple days, something bothers me: Why does his Xany-bar only have 3 scores in it? Unless it's one of those green ones I've never seen that before. :420:

SOME PIG fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Sep 9, 2011

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
i dont think its necessarily supposed to be a xanax, just a drug

Teepkick Shakur
May 16, 2008

by XyloJW

dethkon posted:

e-double: Looking at the album cover for the last couple days, something bothers me: Why does his Xany-bar only have 3 scores in it? Unless it's one of those green ones I've never seen that before. :420:

I dont know what you're talking about officer.

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with

Teepkick Shakur posted:

I dont know what you're talking about officer.

I mean, I've never seen one on the internet like that. ;)

Anyway I finished it, I like how it takes a darker turn at DNA. Recognize the line, btw? (It's from 'hosed Up' by Dead Prez).

Favorite tracks are Die Like A Rockstar, Pac Blood, DNA, Nosebleeds, Scrap or Die, and 30.

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
and when that doesn't start
there's murder in my heart
Hey dudes is this Young Dirty Bastard thing real?

Sarx
May 27, 2007

The Marksman
I put out a new EP. I produced the whole thing and did half the rapping. It's kind of a weird project with a lot of other genres folded in, but if you're into weirder rap you should check it out and let me know if you like it.

http://fatedempire.bandcamp.com

farmtrill
Feb 2, 2006

Burning Nerd Core posted:

Hey dudes is this Young Dirty Bastard thing real?

yeah rza was pimping one of his tracks a few years ago

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

alansmithee posted:

The only dudes close to being as delusional as Gucci fans are Lil B fans. Lil B has at least shown flashes he's actually good.

Chances are you're not gonna convince your friend that he's garbage so imo it's best to just ignore it and move on.

I wont let this go. Gucci mane is a #1 rapper with 100 great mixtape tracks and his love has nothing to do with rabid fans. Listen to this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS6rZO3spNY

See how he makes a line like "never shout out a tip/for my momma never had a daughter/pussy niggas scared of me/see through you like a bottle of water" sound elegant? He has a brilliant flow

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

dethkon posted:

Speaking of rappers re-making Illmatic, I think it's funny that there were two projects that literally did this in the last 12 months: eLZhi's El-matic and Fashawn's Ode to Illmatic.

No dissrespect to Fashawn, who's a dope lyricist, but El's product was just unbeatable, which more impressive since he was late to the punch. I mean, it's basically a blueprint for how to re-make a classic album with respect to the original but also put a spin on it that make's it undeniably yours.

They're putting out the instrumentals on vinyl, which is sweet cuz that was my favorite part about it

Jock Mocken
Apr 7, 2005

on point like a unicorn, strapped like tha unabomb
everyday a work day but dont wear a uniform
Gucci Mane a dapper don, capper like a Capricorn

the black husserl posted:

I wont let this go.

you really should. that good point alansmithee made about there being a point where it's not worth arguing? it applies to him, in this case. there are a lot more people that like Gucci in this thread than there used to be, anybody that was gonna be convinced probably has been, and he's fallen off pretty hard anyway.

also yeah I need to download some DaVinci tapes when I get home, drat I really have been slacking on listening to new poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

dethkon posted:

Yeah, the problem is just that there isn't anything lamer in the currently existing universe than a really earnest album-length tribute to Nas.

• Locked thread