Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beige
Sep 13, 2004
I was fighting off a creeper when my keyboard (which is admittedly unreliable) failed to register a keystroke, leading to my demise. Please implement a feature to accomodate players with buggy keyboards. Make it toggleable so nobody can object.

Oh my, here is a pic of a squad of squid spawning in a column of water.

They promptly sunk like stones, killing them instantly, and dropped some sweet ink.

Another group of eight spawned moments later and died also.

Beige fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Sep 7, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

pseudorandom name posted:

When you die and you have a death chest in your inventory, you drop a death chest containing your full inventory. A death chest is black in color and has skulls painted on the outside. Death chests are fireproof, and are spawned floating above lava or water if you burned to death in lava or drowned in water. They're spawned approximately where you died otherwise.
Death chests have enough slots to hold a player's full inventory plus any equipped armor.

When you get near a death chest, it spawns a single wight. When the wight is killed, the death chest unlocks and will no longer spawn wights. A locked death chest can't be opened, so you have to kill the wight before you can retrieve your inventory.

The wight is equipped with the best armor and sword that was in your inventory when you died. If you had a bow and arrows, the wight will use those arrows until it runs out. The wight stays near to the death chest. If the wight despawns due to the player moving out of range, the next time a player moves into the range of the death chest the wight is spawned again at full health.

While the wight is wearing your armor and equipped with your sword and bow, these items are not dropped by the wight when it dies. Instead, they can be found in the death chest.

Once a death chest is completely emptied, it vanishes from the world in a puff of smoke.

The recipe for a death chest is eight blocks of obsidian in the usual chest arrangement with 5 bones in the center.

Go to work, modders.

This is a good idea. Somebody make this!

It still leaves a severe death penalty, but it's not losing three hours of wandering around caves and still having those caves stripped of resources. I especially like the floating chest idea because even with death chest, the game tends to eat your items before they actually go in the chest. I swear 80% of my deaths are to lava, with the rest of them being creepers.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

JGBeagle posted:

I would be for a ghost that spawned upon your demise. And when it died, it spawned a chest that would have all your old items. That way, you have a challenge and you're able to keep all your items.

EDIT: And if you died to (or on your way to) the ghost the previous ghost would despwan. That way you could only recover one chest at a time.

Demon's Souls style? I like this.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

Times posted:

Mojang should totally put a minecraft brick facade on the front of their offices.

You know, at some point I kind of hope there's a theme park minecraft thing. Maybe lego will try to court notch and we'll see some legoland stuff?

You sit in a minecart on a track, a blocky looking mine tour is starting, suddenly, a switch malfunctions and takes you into the Dark Depths. As the mine cart wizzes around suicide curves and ridiculous hills and valleys, it stalls near a destroyed cavern entrance, suddenly, tall monstrous green things with shambling blocky legs surround you, hissing and flashing, the operator furiously hammers on the controls until you shoot out of the Dark Depths, a wall of fire chasing you free... man that'd rock

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008
I'd be satisfied if it just dropped a random portion of your inventory. Hell, whoever had the idea to keep your hotbar items has the right idea. I wouldn't have the time or patience to juggle items since I usually keep only everything I NEED to use on it, and I'd rather lose diamonds and have to hunt for them than lose a diamond pickaxe.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I think people who insist on slamming huge restrictions onto the death chest are sort of missing its point. A high cost to create, sure. A wight to guard it sounds like a fun gameplay element!
But "it degrades every time its used and eventually breaks, also it can only hold four items"? :psyduck: It just reminds me of how people demanded beds use up a diamond block to make, or they'd be unbalanced. Do we really need to come down so hard on the player at every turn?

PalmTreeFun posted:

even with death chest, the game tends to eat your items before they actually go in the chest. I swear 80% of my deaths are to lava, with the rest of them being creepers.
The problem also is that the death chest mod in question, unlike another competing mod I once saw, only lays a single chest, which isn't enough for all your items in a full inventory (it excludes armor and the hotbar).

Fishylungs posted:

I'd rather lose diamonds and have to hunt for them than lose a diamond pickaxe.
Given that I usually find more than 3 diamonds on an excursion, I'd have to disagree.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

Vib Rib posted:

Given that I usually find more than 3 diamonds on an excursion, I'd have to disagree.

Yea but I hate crafting stuff.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Fishylungs posted:

Yea but I hate crafting stuff.

What the hell are you playing this game for then? You don't like the enemies, the gameplay setup, or the core of the gameplay (it's even in the name). What are you playing this game for then?

There is no way to take the tone out of that sentence for some reason, but I'm genuinely curious.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
Jesus christ can we just agree that Vib Rib is terrible at the game and move on to talking about something else? Him whining endlessly about losing a few diamonds or stacks of iron because he was too stupid to put them in a chest before he started exploring the subterranean lava lake and how this makes the penalty "unnecessarily punitive" isn't going to convince mojang to add the feature to the game.

Install a mod, play on peaceful, or start building a loving chest now and then when you're at the bottom of a cave.

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

I don't get the whining about death.

I die often when i'm on a fresh world, as i'm sure others do, i only have a stone sword, my armour is leather or iron and i don't really have anything of value. If i die, nothing of value is really lost. At least nothing that can't be gathered again without much trouble, and that's only if i can't retrieve my items.

If i get down to a decent depth and pick up some diamond and redstone, i will make drat sure, before subjecting myself to any danger, that i stow anything of value back at my base, or at least at a waypoint in the cave system to make sure that it's safe even if i die.

Most of my deaths come from either being ill-equipped, in which case nothing really of value is lost or from being stupid and walking into lava. The first is a mild annoyance, but certainly not the end of the world, and the latter is my own fault.

Because if you're really getting killed and losing your full set of diamond armour and tools, chances are it's your own loving fault. Adding a death chest or any other method than something similar to the current one is needlessly pandering to the type of oval office who walks into lava and blames it on the game.

I'm not particularly good at Minecraft, or any game really, but i really don't see the problem with how it works as it is. It's not as if you die and just lose all your poo poo, you've just got 5 minutes after entering the chunk you died in to go collect your poo poo. That's more than fair.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

IUG posted:

What the hell are you playing this game for then? You don't like the enemies, the gameplay setup, or the core of the gameplay (it's even in the name). What are you playing this game for then?

There is no way to take the tone out of that sentence for some reason, but I'm genuinely curious.

He seems like he would enjoy creative mode more than survival to me despite it not having monsters/health or whatever he was complaining about, which is good because it's coming back in the next update anyway!

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
so I'll try to be oblique.
Saying that Vib Rib is terrible at the game is unnecessarily dismissive. I think these are legitimate points he brings up. I've been using Deathchest AND DeathTP on my bukkit server for a while, and everyone who's used it agrees it's good. DeathTP isn't necessary, but the chest is something that's always missed.

It's not as if Vib Rib is saying that everyone HAS TO abide by his suggested mechanics, he just thinks it should at least be an option.

As someone else already brought up, the ultimate resource in this game is time. To have your entire night of hard work go up in smoke is pretty drat punitive and frustrating to say the least, regardless of the myriad ways to safeguard against it. I think instead of attacking individuals, we think of something that is a good compromise that's balanced, fair and still fun.

Frogmarched
Jul 11, 2011
The thing is, survival should actually have risk/reward as a key feature, rather then relying on oh your dead there goes your stuff.

Also what is so adventurous about the adventure update? From what we can see there is a light levelling system put in place. It's like Notch cut out the good parts of adventure/rpg games like quests, loot, progressive enemy's/areas, and just gave people a yard stick to measure how many zombies they have prodded to death.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
You guys act like dying in Minecraft is easy. It's not. After you get some decent gear it is very hard to get killed unless you are being incredibly careless. If death had any less of a penalty then it would be even more trivial than it already is.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Frogmarched posted:

The thing is, survival should actually have risk/reward as a key feature, rather then relying on oh your dead there goes your stuff.

The risk is losing your stuff, the reward is having enough swag to bake cake. :colbert:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

CJacobs posted:

He seems like he would enjoy creative mode more than survival to me despite it not having monsters/health or whatever he was complaining about, which is good because it's coming back in the next update anyway!

A lot of us prefer to have to mine for poo poo in Survival instead of having unlimited stacks in creative. Personally I'd love if I could toggle it so that the only mobs out were creepers seeing as they're the only mobs who really damage your designs instead of you.

Internet Kraken posted:

You guys act like dying in Minecraft is easy. It's not. After you get some decent gear it is very hard to get killed unless you are being incredibly careless. If death had any less of a penalty then it would be even more trivial than it already is.

It's almost if.. there could be some way to choose levels of penalties and challenge, what a concept eh? And that the penalty of death might be different in "easy" versus "hard" versus "insane hardcore ironman".

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
If they're adding an EXP system in, then the answer is simple. Have a toggleable option:

Softcore: No death penalty, regular EXP.
Hardcore: Death penalty, triple EXP.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

trandorian posted:

It's almost if.. there could be some way to choose levels of penalties and challenge, what a concept eh? And that the penalty of death might be different in "easy" versus "hard" versus "insane hardcore ironman".

If you don't want to deal with any of the games threats, you play on peaceful. If death has no consequence then whats the point of even having mobs and hazards? All they would do is waste your time.

That being said, my point was that dying in Minecraft isn't a common occurrence. If the game was so hard that you died all the time I'd agree with you, but you barely ever get killed after getting semi-decent equipment.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Sep 8, 2011

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
Why is it necessary to to have to jump between two extremes, and not give users more control over what they'd like to see?

Granted, I don't think the game is that difficult to begin with, but more customization wouldn't hurt if you ask me.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Trivia posted:

Why is it necessary to to have to jump between two extremes, and not give users more control over what they'd like to see?

Granted, I don't think the game is that difficult to begin with, but more customization wouldn't hurt if you ask me.

Losing your stuff on death isn't extreme at all. Extreme would be deleting your world on death. Your items don't even disappear when you die and can be picked up easily in many cases.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Trivia posted:

The more variability there is, the more poo poo can break. Minecraft is fairly simple and should stay as such.

Not everything should be a toggle, mods exist for a reason.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Internet Kraken posted:

If you don't want to deal with any of the games threats, you play on peaceful.

This is what you aren't getting. On peaceful, you can still die, and lose your stuff. That's the game having threats that you deal with.

Internet Kraken posted:

Losing your stuff on death isn't extreme at all. Extreme would be deleting your world on death. Your items don't even disappear when you die and can be picked up easily in many cases.

I don't understand why you think having death chests wouldn't be a challenge so it's bad but then go on to say that dying in minecraft actually doesn't cause a challenge at all, recovering is easy.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

IUG posted:

What are you playing this game for then? You don't like the enemies, the gameplay setup, or the core of the gameplay (it's even in the name). What are you playing this game for then?

Yea you sound like a real dick. I get it though.

But you're also putting words in my mouth 'cause I never said anything about not liking the enemies you dummy. I like the enemies, and with the combat update I imagine it will be more fun. I like the new enemies, the only thing I don't is creepers and they're easy enough to avoid. I like the game play set up. Hell, short of wanting to do mega projects creative mode sounds boring as poo poo. I like mining. I spend more time mining than anything. More than building or exploring or monster fighting, all of those combined. And I like crafting stuff. Making planks, turning my sand into sandstone, or working with cobblestone to make poo poo. But picks? gently caress making picks. People complain about having too much cobblestone, I never have that problem. I have a shortage of picks. All the time. I never have enough picks to mine every single thing I want. So I have to go back, and make more, and it's such a boring hassle. And I don't even think non-breaking tools is a good idea. I just loving hate picks. Typically what stops me during a minecraft session is my pick breaking. It's a nuisance.

So there you have it.

On a side note, generally if you don't want a post to sound like it has a certain tone, taking out your swearwords helps. Sounds weird but it's a lot less aggressive sounding.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Wow, Vib debates a few aspects of the game in what genuinely seems like good-natured discussion and he's getting railed for "whining about dying". Jesus' tits, you all sound like the official minecraft forums. "PLAY THE GAME MY WAY OR YOU SHOULDNT PLAY"

On topic: The completionist/progressionist in my yelped with glee when I saw the experience orbs. I'm hoping there's some sort of skill-set that goes along with it. If you've played with the RPG mod for MC, you'll know kinda what I mean.

Basically just perks for achieving certain skill levels.

Trivia
Feb 8, 2006

I'm an obtuse man,
If people can manage to make drag and drop plugins for bukkit and have them integrate with dozens of others, I don't see what would make something like what's been talked about an impossibility.

The severity of death is largely a multitude of factors, not just the fact you lost everything. It's made worse by the time investment away from your house (with presumably a full bag), distance from house, time taken to acquire said items, as well as rarity / quality. Not all deaths are equal.

If you ask me, the penalty for death should shift away from perma-losing items to losing buffs and perks earned from XP. Items could be stored in a deathchest and the penalty for death is the opportunity cost of having to recover the items, as well as XP loss (or something else). Most often I die within a massive cave, and trying to find your way back can often be a 15 to 20 minute task in and by itself.

I think of death as I would any other game in which I've forgotten to save; namely that it was something stupid I did that resulted in me wasting hours of time with nothing to show for it. Allowing people to adjust the kind of game they want to play would tailor to almost everyone's situations and allow for maximum "fun," whatever your idea of that might be.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe

IdiotSavante posted:

Wow, Vib debates a few aspects of the game in what genuinely seems like good-natured discussion and he's getting railed for "whining about dying". Jesus' tits, you all sound like the official minecraft forums. "PLAY THE GAME MY WAY OR YOU SHOULDNT PLAY"

On topic: The completionist/progressionist in my yelped with glee when I saw the experience orbs. I'm hoping there's some sort of skill-set that goes along with it. If you've played with the RPG mod for MC, you'll know kinda what I mean.

Basically just perks for achieving certain skill levels.

Sadly, for now, experience and skill points are going to be nothing but arbitrary numbers until 1.9 rolls along.

I honestly have to wonder what makes 1.8 an "adventure" update. Don't get me wrong, it adds a bunch of features and overhauls terrain generation and lighting and sounds generally pretty great, but doesn't actually add any kind of purpose or motivation to go on adventure. For all intents and purposes, isn't this just a regular major update with 1.9 being the real adventure update?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Joda posted:

Sadly, for now, experience and skill points are going to be nothing but arbitrary numbers until 1.9 rolls along.

I honestly have to wonder what makes 1.8 an "adventure" update. Don't get me wrong, it adds a bunch of features and overhauls terrain generation and lighting and sounds generally pretty great, but doesn't actually add any kind of purpose or motivation to go on adventure. For all intents and purposes, isn't this just a regular major update with 1.9 being the real adventure update?

I thought Notch was adding quests to the villages.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

Fun Shoe

Internet Kraken posted:

I thought Notch was adding quests to the villages.

That'd require NPCs which are, afaik, confirmed delayed until 1.9. The villages are, for 1.8 being, nothing more than terrain features.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Joda posted:

That'd require NPCs which are, afaik, confirmed delayed until 1.9. The villages are, for 1.8 being, nothing more than terrain features.

Oh, thanks. Has there been a confirmation on the 1.8 release yet? Last I heard was the 8th at the earliest.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

Fun Shoe

Internet Kraken posted:

Oh, thanks. Has there been a confirmation on the 1.8 release yet? Last I heard was the 8th at the earliest.

From jeb_'s twitter 7 hours ago:

@jeb_ posted:

The new "good guess" for a Beta 1.8 release date is 12th of September (this monday) =( *takes cover* #bodyguardwanted

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008
I think the most amusing part of the coming update is that, even though they don't do anything, no one has complained about the XP orbs. Even though they don't do anything.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Fishylungs posted:

I think the most amusing part of the coming update is that, even though they don't do anything, no one has complained about the XP orbs. Even though they don't do anything.

Wait, then what's the point of them?

burntpork
Jan 25, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm sure they'll be a few new mods that will utilize it in the meantime.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

Fun Shoe

Internet Kraken posted:

Think of 1.8 as a framework update. It adds nothing in terms of interesting content, but adds all the basics needed for a more fleshed out adventure mode.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Fishylungs posted:

Read this as: "Planned features? What are those?!"

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Oct 1, 2014

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Jesto posted:

Has Notch said anything about either:

1. Being able to bell cows / sheep like dogs so you can keep them in areas and prevent them from despawning unless killed?

2. Actually being able to gather apples from trees, either by way of having each Leaf Block have a 1/1,000 chance of spawning as an Appled Leaf Block or random apple trees growing in the wild?

1. They have talked about having animals not despawn, and animal husbandry being a thing. I don't think they've really said much about it though.

2. There was a mod that had peaches hanging from trees. When you hit them, they became living bouncing creatures, which was odd. But they didn't look bad hanging under the tree, so hanging apples would likely work.
Don't know if they've said anything about apples, but we are going to be able to farm pumpkins and melons with 1.8.

wyoming fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Sep 8, 2011

Frock Lobster
Jun 11, 2010

Jesto posted:

Has Notch said anything about either:

1. Being able to bell cows / sheep like dogs so you can keep them in areas and prevent them from despawning unless killed?

2. Actually being able to gather apples from trees, either by way of having each Leaf Block have a 1/1,000 chance of spawning as an Appled Leaf Block or random apple trees growing in the wild?

They said once that in a future update, passive mobs will spawn when chunks are generated, and will never despawn. When they die, that's it, but there'll be an animal breeding system to balance this. Also, I vaguely remember hearing something about wolves being used to herd animals, but that might just be bullshit. But yeah, I think the idea is to make farming animals more of a thing rather than just having them mill around the landscape.

They have talked about getting apples from trees, but I think that one's on the backburner.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
He said XP had no effect in the PAX demo, but I believe he mentioned he wanted to get effects in by the 1.8 release. They had no use then, but it's possible they will by the time we get it. It's not confirmed either way, as far as I know.

monkeu posted:

...whining endlessly about losing a few diamonds or stacks of iron because he was too stupid...

Bellend Sebastian posted:

...the type of oval office who walks into lava and blames it on the game...
:stare:

I never said the game was too hard. I never said I died too much, or that most players do. I was just making a case for the option to change the penalty of death to something less extreme.
I don't see what damage an option would do to the people who would choose to play without it. Would it bother you that much to know that people out there are playing on an 'easier' setting than you?

wyoming posted:

The more variability there is, the more poo poo can break. Minecraft is fairly simple and should stay as such.
How does even just adding an option for death chests "break" Minecraft in any way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Vib Rib posted:

I never said the game was too hard. I never said I died too much, or that most players do. I was just making a case for the option to change the penalty of death to something less extreme.
I don't see what damage an option would do to the people who would choose to play without it. Would it bother you that much to know that people out there are playing on an 'easier' setting than you?

I'd rather Mojang actually add new features or fix their old ones rather than put in options that frankly aren't necessary at all.