Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

Tesla Insanely Coil posted:

I have a question - do you go to the hospital as soon as your water breaks or do you wait until contractions are a certain length apart?

I'll be laboring at home until things start to feel "serious" enough that I want the big birth tub. I'm less than 5 minutes from my birth center, though. I think distance to the hospital/birth center is an important factor for a lot of people. If I had 30+ minutes to ride to get there (or traffic, weather conditions, etc. to deal with), I'd be more conservative, for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

Ask me why I'm not squatting.
Thanks for the answers. Now I have a follow up question - if you go to the hospital early on in your labor, do they stick you in a hospital gown right away? Do you get an IV if everything seems to be going fine?

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
So, my husband and I have been narrowing down names for the last several months. Early on in the pregnancy, my mom asked me what we were thinking of for names. I told her one or two that I liked, completely forgetting the crap she pulled with my sister's pregnancy. (Oh, mommy doesn't have a name for you so I'll just call you *Susie* until then) The husband and I have been sitting on one name in particular for a week or two and have decided on it, BUT just yesterday my mom pulled the same thing on me. (Well, you don't have a name yet so I'll just call you Abby). This pissed me off a lot, but if I said anything I would have gotten "oh, i'm just joking".

Now that we have a name for her, I'm not sure how to tell them, I guess. Part of it is still being mad about yesterday, like they don't deserve to know yet, but that's not cool, and I need to get over it. We're having a baby shower at the end of October, and I don't want to wait till then either. So, I guess, how did you 'announce' when you finally figured out a name?

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
We didnt tell anybody until he was born. It's hard to make snide comments about the name ("oh I knew a guy with that name who was a real jerk") when you have a live cute baby right there.

Mangue
Aug 3, 2007

Thanks for the answers. Now I have a follow up question - if you go to the hospital early on in your labor, do they stick you in a hospital gown right away? Do you get an IV if everything seems to be going fine?

This depends on a lot on the hospital you're going to. If you have a Birth Plan then these sort of things can happen more on your own terms. Some hospitals/OBs are more strict than others in their practice and really sort of want to do things their way. Others are more lax and willing to work with what the mother and father want. My OB said I could pretty much do whatever I wanted, the only thing he really requires is a hep lock.

Call up your OB and ask. Get an idea of what YOU want for your labor and see if the OB/hospital is willing to work with you.

Eia
Nov 5, 2003
At least where I live, you never have to wear a hospital gown. You can simply tell them that you do not wish to. I personally abhor hospital gowns, and went as far as to buy clothes specifically meant to labor in (yeah, yeah, OK, but I was pregnant, you don't argue with a pregnant woman who is shopping online), and wore those clothes until it was time to be naked. I wanted skin-to-skin contact at birth so didn't want to be wearing clothes at that point. Besides which, once you're pushing, you don't really have a nudity taboo. At least, when you're going natural, epidurals might change that :)

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

^^^^ Yeah, I need to figure out what I want. I'm only 23 weeks along so it's a couple months until I take the hospital tour but since I'm already anxious I think I'll be talking to my OB soon. I want to give birth in a hospital but don't really want to stay in the hospital. I want a natural birth but have a low pain tolerance...

Amykinz posted:

... So, I guess, how did you 'announce' when you finally figured out a name?

Whatever you do, it's good to have a plan. When we started telling people at a family event they went, "that's a weird name [or something to that point], why are you picking it?" And I was unprepared and said "uuh I don't remember, I think it's because we like the way it sounds" when we actually did put a lot of thought into it.

Tesla Insanely Coil fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Sep 6, 2011

opie
Nov 28, 2000
Check out my TFLC Excuse Log!

I'm pretty sure that when I went in and they confirmed it was amniotic fluid, they put me in the gown and at least had me in the bed with the monitor strapped to me. I don't remember when they put the IV in. Either way it was terrible because the bed was extremely uncomfortable and I didn't get any sleep until noon the next day when they put in the epidural. I was probably having back labor though, since the kid turned out to be facing up instead of down. Maybe if I paid more attention I would've realized that earlier and done things differently. I kind of took the "hospital will know what they're doing" approach to my delivery which I'm sure is why I ended up with a c-section.

HClChicken
Aug 15, 2005

Highly trained by the US military at expedient semen processing.

vanessa posted:

Yes. I'm taking a night course for work, and I got a B on an assignment, and I almost started crying because it wasn't an A.

I've got my first "real" prenatal appointment today (had a viability scan about 2 weeks ago). Is the doctor going to think I'm a whack job if I ask her to find ways to minimize how many times I need to have blood drawn? I have very strong physical reactions to having my blood drawn (vomiting, fainting) so if there's a way to space out the blood tests so that I need to have blood drawn fewer times, I'm all for it. (I should note that I'm not a complete needle phobe; I do perfectly well when I get vaccinations or when I needed to get a TB skin test done in the past.)

A little late but here's a suggestion. Ask to lay down when they do the phlebotomy. Part of my job includes this and not a single person who has these reactions has them when they either lay down in one of those big rear end incline chairs or on a stretcher. They won't look at you funny, and just tell them that you tend to faint when it happens. Where I work the first pregnancy panel includes about 9 or so vials. If you want to you can ask them to split it up, on separate days. But when you think about it 9 vials isn't much. Each vial is about 3.5-5 mls. It takes 100 of the 5 ml ones to equal a full blood donation.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007

Baby names posted:

I sent out an e-mail with her name photoshopped onto a sonogram shot. I knew there would be backlash as my daughter has a really unusual first name (Pixley). As soon as she was born no one ever gave me a hard time about it again though, the name really suits her just like we knew it would.

Hospital posted:

I went to the hospital and was admitted at 4cm dilated, so pretty early. My water hadn't broken but I'd been having contractions for a while and they were getting close together and more intense. Plus there was a huge snowstorm so I was nervous about that too. They had me put on a gown right away.

As soon as I was admitted I also got an IV because I wasn't sure I wanted an epidural, but they have to give you 2 bags of fluid asap before doing the epidural and wanted me ready if I decided to get one. I had no problem with any of this. I had been laboring at home for the better part of a day and night and was exhausted.

I personally liked the gown because it was easy access for the doctor/anesthesiologist/nurses and I didn't care that it was covered with all manner of bodily fluids by the end. It was very soft and it also had shoulder snaps so I could do immediate nursing and skin-to-skin when she was delivered.

On a side note, my water didn't break until I was 10cm and it popped audibly and splashed the nurse checking me. It was totally badass, everyone in the room heard it and was shocked.

Main Wife
Oct 25, 2005

Dont fuck with me

I have a question - do you go to the hospital as soon as your water breaks or do you wait until contractions are a certain length apart?

Your water doesn't always break first. I love that about TV and movies, you'd think all labor began with slapsticky water breaking and then immediate, intense 30-seconds-apart contractions, followed by a baby about 5 minutes later. And TV pregnant people obviously only wear dresses and no undies because it's on the ground and knees up with no taking off pants or undies. As a kid I was really creeped out at the thought of this.

At least in my area (Southern US) it's pretty standard when labor starts to contact your OB. My sister started having random contractions and then when she called the after-hours line, they had her come in to the office first thing in the morning. She had progressed far enough at that point to be sent to the hospital. They had to break her water, she was stuck at 2CM for hours, and then all of a sudden she was at 10 and time to push. From what I have heard this is a fairly typical experience.

If your water does break, call your OB to let them know, take a shower if you can, and then go to the hospital. Those membranes are an infection barrier so once they've ruptured, you go stay in the hospital. Even if it's early. If you're far enough along they'll just induce, but if you're early you still have to stay, drink a ton of water so your fluids will replenish (and run right back out of you, ad nauseum) until it's time to have the baby.

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

Lefou, I'm afraid I've been eating... you.
Pardon my very naive question, but quite a few posters have mentioned taking a shower after their water breaks and before going to the hospital. Why is that important?

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

Crazy Old Clarice posted:

Pardon my very naive question, but quite a few posters have mentioned taking a shower after their water breaks and before going to the hospital. Why is that important?

Because when your water breaks you're covered in fluids and it's gross. Its an unbelievable amount of fluid in there. Also, you might be in labor for a while and if things go pear-shaped, maybe you won't get another shower for a day or two. Might as well clean yourself up while you can.

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

As my husband and I recently read, amniotic fluid in the third trimester is mostly fetal pee and is sometimes even yellow. This really grossed out my husband for some reason and said the baby will get a good scrubbing when he gets out. Actually, what I think grossed him out more was that the fetus drinks the amniotic fluid and then pees it out in a wonderful cycle.

Crazy Old Clarice
Mar 5, 2007

Lefou, I'm afraid I've been eating... you.
Thanks Chickalicious and Tesla. Mr. Clarice and I are total n00bs at this and have not yet explored how the whole birthing thing will go down. Now I am totally creeped out, thanks.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
Just wait until you hear the horror stories of babies breathing in their own meconium. Yum!

DjCoax
Mar 23, 2005

It is a good rule in life never to apologize. The right sort of people do not want apologies, and the wrong sort take a mean advantage of them
Hello thread,

Belgian Goon reporting. Been following the thread and as the wife is now 20 weeks pregnant I'm jumping in.

Here we get to have an ultrasound every month or so , and we just had the 20 week one and found out we're having a baby girl! It kind of startled me because I grew up with no girls in the family (very goony) and I have no clue what baby girls are like ! But we're super excited!

The doctor did a full check up of body functions , checked heart chambers , lungs , kidneys, stomach , … etc.

The whole pregnancy thing is slowly sinking in. It was planned but we start to notice gradually that it's going to change EVERYTHING profoundly.

For example , we have no separate bedroom for a baby so we're going to have to remodel the house (kick out our tenant and rebuild everything) and this while having a baby. We're planning on putting the crib just next to the bed as the wife is planning to breastfeed too.

There is one question I have for you guys that is related to the whole announcing process : how do you cope with people who have been trying for a long time to have a baby? We ourselves were on fertility drugs and then the fertility drugs that come in needles thing for 6 months and (CONFESSION COMING UP) when friends of mine got pregnant at first I wasn't happy for them. I actually was annoyed they were pregnant before us. I was very surprised and shocked with my reaction. I'm not a jealous or vindictive person .And these are good friends we're talking about. So I understand the emotion but have no idea how to cope with it in other people.

We know couples that have been trying for ages and one woman started crying when we announced the news (we didn't know about her but she had been trying for 4 years and they were doing the 5th or 6th IVF cycle)

She apologized later but there are such emotions involved there. We don't want to stop seeing these people as friends , but is that a universal thing?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Its not up to you to deal with it, its up to them. Your news exists independent of their status. There is no reason you can't still be friends with those people, no reason to stop talking to them, not invite them to the shower etc. It is up to them to decide how to react, what they can handle, whether or not they want to talk to you.

Since you do have a rather more empathetic perspective on it, having had the shoe on the other foot so to speak, you could try thinking about what you would have wanted them to say to you, or how you would have wanted to have been treated, but honestly? They're adults. Any issues they have with it are solely theirs.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

Oracle posted:

Its not up to you to deal with it, its up to them. Your news exists independent of their status. There is no reason you can't still be friends with those people, no reason to stop talking to them, not invite them to the shower etc. It is up to them to decide how to react, what they can handle, whether or not they want to talk to you.

Since you do have a rather more empathetic perspective on it, having had the shoe on the other foot so to speak, you could try thinking about what you would have wanted them to say to you, or how you would have wanted to have been treated, but honestly? They're adults. Any issues they have with it are solely theirs.

Yes, they're adults, but I don't think it would hurt to be a little more sensitive to the situation. I know that sometimes your conversations will often turn to the new baby on the way, but maybe with these folks, make an extra effort to find other topics of discussion. Not that you should avoid the baby chat altogether, but minimize it when you're socializing with the folks having trouble.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Crazy Old Clarice posted:

Thanks Chickalicious and Tesla. Mr. Clarice and I are total n00bs at this and have not yet explored how the whole birthing thing will go down. Now I am totally creeped out, thanks.

Wait until your baby poops on its way out getting poop everywhere including in the birth canal.

Or wait until you poop cause the nurses tell you "push like you're trying to poop!" and then oops! (that never happened to me, btw, but they did say to push like you're trying to poop)

Mangue
Aug 3, 2007
Has anyone had to deal with telling their prospective employer about pregnancy? I do not currently have a job though I had an interview last week and am hoping they hire me. I'm only 16 weeks along so it was not at all apparent that I was pregnant during the interview. I really did not want to let them know I was pregnant because I did not want to give them any excuse at all not to hire me.

Anyway, if I get this job I won't start until November. Since I am due in February, that will mean I will have only worked for this employer for about 3 months and will not qualify for my state's parenteral laws. These laws state that if I am working for a company of 50 or more people and have worked for them for 12 months, I am entitled to 12 weeks of unpaid maternity leave.

IF they decide to offer me the job, I want to tell them ASAP but I'm just not sure how. And it's complicated by the fact that that job requires 16 weeks of training starting in January. I'm not sure if they have ever had someone who needed to take time off right in the middle of the 16 week program.

I'm not sure if I should mention it on the phone when they offer me the job. I'm not sure if I should request a meeting with them right after I accept. I'm not sure how they will react to my not telling them during the interview. I know that if they do hire me, they can't fire me for being pregnant. I just don't want them to resent me because I took the job and now they have to start making all these allowances for me, like altering the 16 week program they have in place.

I hope this made some sort of sense. Basically, I'm pregnant, I may be getting a job soon, what is the best way to go about telling my employer that I am pregnant?

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

DjCoax posted:

There is one question I have for you guys that is related to the whole announcing process : how do you cope with people who have been trying for a long time to have a baby? We ourselves were on fertility drugs and then the fertility drugs that come in needles thing for 6 months and (CONFESSION COMING UP) when friends of mine got pregnant at first I wasn't happy for them. I actually was annoyed they were pregnant before us. I was very surprised and shocked with my reaction. I'm not a jealous or vindictive person .And these are good friends we're talking about. So I understand the emotion but have no idea how to cope with it in other people.

We know couples that have been trying for ages and one woman started crying when we announced the news (we didn't know about her but she had been trying for 4 years and they were doing the 5th or 6th IVF cycle)

She apologized later but there are such emotions involved there. We don't want to stop seeing these people as friends , but is that a universal thing?

That kind of reaction is totally normal, I can't even count how many stories I've heard that go along the same lines. The best suggestion that I've seen is to share the news in a private way, like in a kind email, just to give them a heads up and so they can process the news privately. They'll come around in time after dealing with those completely understandable feelings of jealousy, just like you did.

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

Mangue posted:

Has anyone had to deal with telling their prospective employer about pregnancy? I do not currently have a job though I had an interview last week and am hoping they hire me. I'm only 16 weeks along so it was not at all apparent that I was pregnant during the interview. I really did not want to let them know I was pregnant because I did not want to give them any excuse at all not to hire me.

Anyway, if I get this job I won't start until November. Since I am due in February, that will mean I will have only worked for this employer for about 3 months and will not qualify for my state's parenteral laws. These laws state that if I am working for a company of 50 or more people and have worked for them for 12 months, I am entitled to 12 weeks of unpaid maternity leave.

IF they decide to offer me the job, I want to tell them ASAP but I'm just not sure how. And it's complicated by the fact that that job requires 16 weeks of training starting in January. I'm not sure if they have ever had someone who needed to take time off right in the middle of the 16 week program.

I'm not sure if I should mention it on the phone when they offer me the job. I'm not sure if I should request a meeting with them right after I accept. I'm not sure how they will react to my not telling them during the interview. I know that if they do hire me, they can't fire me for being pregnant. I just don't want them to resent me because I took the job and now they have to start making all these allowances for me, like altering the 16 week program they have in place.

I hope this made some sort of sense. Basically, I'm pregnant, I may be getting a job soon, what is the best way to go about telling my employer that I am pregnant?

First off, I wish you the best of luck! Getting a job in this economy is tough.

They aren't allowed to fire you because of your pregnancy but because of the part I bolded I don't think they don't have to make any accommodations (like give you time off beyond what they offer other new hires), so it's going to come down to how much they want you. Also, it's possible that the training period is a probationary period where they haven't officially hired you and thus can decide not to hire you. I'm not sure how probationary periods work legally. But I know at a place I used to work that once they found someone they liked, they were willing to wait a few months until they could start working.

Mangue
Aug 3, 2007

First off, I wish you the best of luck! Getting a job in this economy is tough.

They aren't allowed to fire you because of your pregnancy but because of the part I bolded I don't think they don't have to make any accommodations (like give you time off beyond what they offer other new hires), so it's going to come down to how much they want you. Also, it's possible that the training period is a probationary period where they haven't officially hired you and thus can decide not to hire you. I'm not sure how probationary periods work legally. But I know at a place I used to work that once they found someone they liked, they were willing to wait a few months until they could start working.

Parenteral = parental. Oops.

Anyway, I'm not sure that it is a probationary period...This is a very specific program that they cannot just hire someone else if they decide not to keep me after I have taken maternity time off. If they don't take me back there is no way they can get another person in to take my place. They can't fire me after I've been hired because that's illegal and if they drop me from the program because I need to take maternity leave they lose a bunch of money and can't get someone else to take my place. Legally they don't have to keep me around, but it would be in their best interest if they don't want to waste money.

I apologize if this is sort of convoluted and not making a ton of sense. I don't want to put in too many details. Basically, my fear is that they will think that I tricked them and now that they've hired me they need to "deal" with me. I don't want to start off on the wrong foot with my bosses!

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

Mangue posted:

Parenteral = parental. Oops.

Anyway, I'm not sure that it is a probationary period...This is a very specific program that they cannot just hire someone else if they decide not to keep me after I have taken maternity time off. If they don't take me back there is no way they can get another person in to take my place. They can't fire me after I've been hired because that's illegal and if they drop me from the program because I need to take maternity leave they lose a bunch of money and can't get someone else to take my place. Legally they don't have to keep me around, but it would be in their best interest if they don't want to waste money.

I apologize if this is sort of convoluted and not making a ton of sense. I don't want to put in too many details. Basically, my fear is that they will think that I tricked them and now that they've hired me they need to "deal" with me. I don't want to start off on the wrong foot with my bosses!

Despite the legality of the situation, I think you're in danger of being seen as a problem employee/coworker before you even get started. Maybe even "more trouble than you're worth", since you're in the position of needing concessions before you've gotten a chance to really prove what a valuable employee you'll be. I think you need to have a sit-down with your boss as soon as possible and let them know that you are pregnant AND fully committed to the training program/position. I hope it works out for you - it's hard to find a job right now.

Mangue
Aug 3, 2007

MoCookies posted:

Despite the legality of the situation, I think you're in danger of being seen as a problem employee/coworker before you even get started. Maybe even "more trouble than you're worth", since you're in the position of needing concessions before you've gotten a chance to really prove what a valuable employee you'll be. I think you need to have a sit-down with your boss as soon as possible and let them know that you are pregnant AND fully committed to the training program/position. I hope it works out for you - it's hard to find a job right now.

This is exactly what I'm afraid of. I feel that if I meet with them before they offer me the job they might dismiss me outright even if they liked me before hand. I really don't want to give them any reason to not hire me. At the same time, if I don't let them know I run the risk of being seen as a problem, as you said.

Ugh. This is the only job opportunity I've had since I graduated in May. And it's an absolute dream job. This blows. I'm sort of leaning toward being on the up-and-up with them. I don't want them to feel like I have painted them into a corner if they decide to hire me.

loving A. I need to think.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Found out the sex today! It's a boy! Here's how I announced it on Facebook:

car dance
May 12, 2010

Ben is actually an escaped polar bear, posing as a human.

Unlikely because Polar Bears do not know how to speak.
Also it does not make any sense.
Holy crap Bodnoirbabe: my husband and I are naming our kid Maxwell Avery Stirling (lastname) if it's a boy! Great name. :)

Today I found out that I have Medicaid through the program in Illinois. Anyone in this thread use this? What can I expect to pay? I've been going to a midwife who also accepts it, but I really need to go to a cardiologist due to have MVP and she seemed worried that I won't find one that accepts it.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
You can never go wrong with Blingee! Congrats!

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010
I feel like punching people in the mouth today. Apparently I annoyed my mother because I wasn't wearing a traditional maternity shirt. I annoyed my stepmother because I already had the book series she wanted to collect for "her princess". The icing on the cake came last night. My husband and I have not been looking forward to coming up with a name for our daughter. We figured it might be right up there with assembling Ikea furniture together, which if you're anything like us, is borderline murderous. We were actually very successful and stumbled upon a name that we both contributed to and we both really love. We decided to name our daughter Saria Rose. Unique but not too obscure in our opinion to damage the kid completely. Plus she has her own theme music. How bad rear end is that? Well I told my parents and they pissed all over it and decided that they were going to call her whatever they wanted. Seriously? I don't really give two shits if they don't like it but I have a serious problem with them taking a dump on her name before they even took it in. How do you all deal with that?

Edit: Congrats on Maxwell! Love the bling!

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Bahunter22 posted:

Well I told my parents and they pissed all over it and decided that they were going to call her whatever they wanted. Seriously? I don't really give two shits if they don't like it but I have a serious problem with them taking a dump on her name before they even took it in. How do you all deal with that?

I can't offer any advice, but I can let you know that you aren't the only ones dealing with crazy grandparents. My sister-in-law's mother-in-law gives each of her grandchildren nicknames & refuses to call them or introduce them to other people with their real name. Virginia is called Button & the newest baby, Anabel is now Dolly. There's not much they can do about grandma calling them weird names, but my sister-in-law is proactive about making sure that anyone new introduced to the kids knows their real name & doesn't start calling them Button & Dolly. :bang:

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010

GoreJess posted:

I can't offer any advice, but I can let you know that you aren't the only ones dealing with crazy grandparents. My sister-in-law's mother-in-law gives each of her grandchildren nicknames & refuses to call them or introduce them to other people with their real name. Virginia is called Button & the newest baby, Anabel is now Dolly. There's not much they can do about grandma calling them weird names, but my sister-in-law is proactive about making sure that anyone new introduced to the kids knows their real name & doesn't start calling them Button & Dolly. :bang:

It wasn't even that they were like "Oh I'm going to call her Boo Boo Face" it was, "I'm not going to call her that. I'll just call her Sarah." and "I won't remember Saria. I'm going to call her Rose." My grandma always had nicknames for us but she always introduced us by our real names. The nicknames were just for her which I appreciated. My sister really appreciated it because her nickname was Prissy Britches. I can't imagine having my grandmother introduce me by my nickname. His dad and grandmother love the name so its really one sided.

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

but no one can talk to a horse, of course.
They'll get over it, and of course they'll remember her name. Well, if they're even semi-sane they will. I guess just give them time. They'll get used to it and may even come to like the name (which is, in fact, lovely).

Unfortunately, this lack of support is devastating and is why a lot of people don't divulge the name until after the baby is born. It sucks that people can be such dipshits about names, especially if you're specifically not asking their opinion.

I have some great news - the lovely placenta I made is clear of the cervix! I don't think I ever mentioned it here, but my 20-week ultrasound showed that I had a low-lying placenta. It sounds scary when you read about it, but I never had any bleeding and my midwife never expressed any real concern since in most cases, this ends up resolving itself (as the baby grows, the uterus expands and the placenta moves along with it, kind of like blowing up a balloon). But it was an unknown factor for a while and it's a relief that it's no longer an issue. Also the baby has flipped and is now head-down. We are clear for landing. 7 weeks 2 days until the estimated due date. (holyfuckingshit)

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

car dance posted:

Holy crap Bodnoirbabe: my husband and I are naming our kid Maxwell Avery Stirling (lastname) if it's a boy! Great name. :)

Awesome name! Sterling is the middle name though.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Bahunter22 posted:

I feel like punching people in the mouth today. Apparently I annoyed my mother because I wasn't wearing a traditional maternity shirt. I annoyed my stepmother because I already had the book series she wanted to collect for "her princess". The icing on the cake came last night. My husband and I have not been looking forward to coming up with a name for our daughter. We figured it might be right up there with assembling Ikea furniture together, which if you're anything like us, is borderline murderous. We were actually very successful and stumbled upon a name that we both contributed to and we both really love. We decided to name our daughter Saria Rose. Unique but not too obscure in our opinion to damage the kid completely. Plus she has her own theme music. How bad rear end is that? Well I told my parents and they pissed all over it and decided that they were going to call her whatever they wanted. Seriously? I don't really give two shits if they don't like it but I have a serious problem with them taking a dump on her name before they even took it in. How do you all deal with that?

That's really pissy of them. I really like the name you picked. If they use another name, just say "I'm not sure who you're referring to, but I know it couldn't be my child because her Grandparents would respect her name."

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

I'm pregnant with the first grandchild of the family and I'm starting to understand how grandparents are kind of crazy. I can imagine having problems with grandparents spoiling the kid. I can't think of anything they've done that's too noticeable but they get a rabid look in their eyes sometimes. I didn't really have grandparents in my life so I don't really know what to expect.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

I'm pregnant with the first grandchild of the family and I'm starting to understand how grandparents are kind of crazy. I can imagine having problems with grandparents spoiling the kid. I can't think of anything they've done that's too noticeable but they get a rabid look in their eyes sometimes. I didn't really have grandparents in my life so I don't really know what to expect.

My grandmother was nuts about us having a kid and then we had her and she was just kinda like "oh ok. when are you having another one?" :mad:

IT NEVER ENDS.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

All our family is at least an 8 hour drive away so it wasn't too bad for us, but we have cousins our age(that are like siblings to us) that have kids the same age as ours who have difficulty with parents and grandparents.

You have to stick to firm boundaries from the start and don't be afraid to ruffle some feathers if you have to. Your doing whats best for your kid. Kids are like puppies and need their routines. It's not OK to come visit on a weeknight at 7PM when that's bath and jammie time so they can be in bed at 8PM. Same thing for nap time, and feeding schedules etc. They need to adjust to your routine. There's a balancing act though, feelings get hurt really easy and you need to make sure they get their grandparent time in.

As for them buying stuff... my wife's mother buys the most hideously ugly stuff for our kids, they had a little talk about her gifts not fitting our style and now they kind of run things by each other before granny spends a bunch of money. Granny still gets to spoil the grandkids and we're not stuck returning a bunch of ugly stuff and having awkward conversations about where her outfits are.

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009

Bahunter22 posted:

Our moms haven't been truly lovely about it, but they don't love the name I've picked out for our kid (we found out last Friday that it is a boy!). I want to name him Arthur. Arthur just "feels like" his name. Plus I've always been a big mythology buff, I don't know how anyone didn't see a name from myth or legend coming. :iiam: Both of them act like they've never heard of an Arthur. My mom wants me to at least give him her father's middle name (Benjamin). I don't mind Benjamin, but she knows I hated her father.

Meanwhile, my husband isn't wild about Arthur and has trouble thinking up a middle name for it. He wants to name him after my dad who died last year, but I really am not comfortable doing that. Ugh I really wanted a boy but we had a nice girl name picked out that everyone thought was beautiful :sigh: Oh well.

Anyway. Saria Rose is very pretty and if they can't deal they can just call her sweetie or baby or punkin or whatever. Or, you know, they can put their big girl panties on and call her by her designated name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

I'm totally done talking about names with my family. They hate everything I like, and have absolutely no concept of what's outdated vs. overly popular (vs. totally redneck). I've got some eclectic tastes in names, I'll admit, and my husband's taste boggles my mind. We've have enough trouble narrowing it down to a list of 12 names either of us doesn't hate. If my kid ever tells me he hates his name, the little jerk is going in time out. (I'm only mostly kidding.) I've spent way too many hours already thinking about this already, and I agree that the whole process has an uncanny parallel to putting together Ikea furniture. I'm sorely tempted to ignore the whole naming process until I'm in labor. Or until I get a suitable bribe (like a Blizzard from DQ).

For what it's worth, Arthur & Maxwell are very cool boys names, both of which I've tried to talk my husband into, with no luck. Saria is pretty darn cool as well. F the haters.