Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiderjelly
Aug 22, 2006

Sign of evil.
I've said it before in this thread, but I think that it bears repeating as a lot of people seem to be blind sided by it. While many people are recommending Dear Zachery as an engrossing, compelling documentary, I would caution people not to watch it. While it may be engrossing and compelling, it was really heartbreaking for me to watch, and I found it had very few redeeming qualities. I'd compare the emotional impact to a real life Requiem for a Dream. Someone said before, "yeah it was horrible, but did you see the ending?" Yes. Yes, I saw the ending, and it did very little to assuage the hollowness this documentary instilled in me. The ending strikes me as a noble, sincere, and necessary attempt to put a positive spin on the events and to show the light in the darkness, but for me it rings artificial, and seems pasted on almost as an afterthought. It didn't work. Seriouspost, this movie did emotional damage to me, and I can't unsee it, months later. If you are prone to deep empathy, I don't recommend you watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

http://www.pbs.org/pov/armadillo/full.php

Armadillo (full) is up on PBS - not sure for how long.

Armadillo

In 2009, Janus Metz and cameraman Lars Skree accompanied a platoon of Danish soldiers to Armadillo, a combat operations base in southern Afghanistan. For six months, often while under fire, they captured the lives of the young soldiers fighting the Taliban in a hostile and confusing environment, where official rhetoric about helping civilians too often met the unforgiving reality of being a foreign occupier. Winner of the Critics' Week Grand Prix at Cannes, Armadillo is one of the most dramatic and candid accounts of combat to come out of Afghanistan.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!
The Sounds of Aus is a fun and entertaining doco about the aussie accent (if you didnt guess that). It goes for one hour and is worthwhile viewing for anyone who enjoyed the Story of English series, anyone interested in Australia or in etymology/social history. Its presented by a comedian so it's not exactly the most scientific analysis on the subject but it is a good view in my honest opinion.

Part one can be found here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOnx21oL9zo

Enjoy.

On a slightly more depressing note there is also the fantastic series The First Australians. This history series goes from prehistory to present day and is highly informative and everyone who lives here should watch as should those interested in colonial history or race relations.

Part one of episode one can be found here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcslF8yQ1Tg

As a side note to any Australians reading this thread the SBS VoD service is now actually really good and they, like ABC iView, have heaps of good docos on there including the entirety of the First Australians series.

Wrageowrapper fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Sep 1, 2011

homercles
Feb 14, 2010

Wrageowrapper posted:

The Australian Accent is a fun and entertaining doco about the aussie accent (if you didnt guess that). It goes for one hour and is worthwhile viewing for anyone who enjoyed the Story of English series, anyone interested in Australia or in etymology/social history. Its presented by a comedian so it's not exactly the most scientific analysis on the subject but it is a good view in my honest opinion.

Part one can be found here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOnx21oL9zo
Title is actually The Sounds Of Aus (2007) and the documentary is unfortunately partially uploaded (stops at part 4, part 5 not uploaded), I did not have much luck tracking down other sources that streamed the documentary. The uploader however has a bunch of other interesting content uploaded (I am not going to enumerate it). If you're into Australian history and want some passive entertainment, check mattyo30 out.

I dislike ABC iView because its video quality is abysmal and the Flash player wrapper over the standard Adobe rtmp DRM is buggy, insofar as if you pause a video, walk away for 10 minutes, come back the goddamn thing has hung. I understand that they are railroaded into DRMing their content so that they can license BBC (and other) material and rebroadcast it, I'm not taking a swipe at you, it's just that the ABC have intentionally launched very low quality service (seriously it's like 320x240 scaled up in some mpeg artifact monstrosity) and now that it's in place it won't be improved until the NBN is thoroughly deployed (so they can justify the extra bandwidth I suppose, since they're currently targetting the lowest common denominator)

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

SuperTwo posted:

I'm sure since you guys love documentaries you've seen "The Cove" especially since it's free online now. I just wanted to point out a few errors in that film in regards to its demonization of marine parks. You can see a really good critique of the cove's claims about dolphins in aquariums here The second part is here.

Ultimately, I'm really glad that the Taiji dolphin slaughter has been brought to light in the mainstream but placing the blame on marine parks is putting the blame in the wrong place and is a huge oversimplification of the problem. The main problem behind the Taiji slaughters and in fact all of Japan's whaling is overfishing of popular food fish. The main reason that fisherman will give for the dolphin killing is that they are removing competition for a shrinking population of commercial fish stock. This was given very little attention in the film, which is a real shame because what really needs to be done to stop the dolphin fishery is conservation of environment and management of commercial fisheries. Boycotting western aquariums which have nothing to do with the slaughter is not going to help anyone.

I'm still mad The Cove took the Oscar over Burma VJ.
It's up on Youtube apparently: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6DfCLqLVUg.

Wrageowrapper
Apr 30, 2009

DRINK! ARSE! FECKIN CHRISTMAS!

homercles posted:

Title is actually The Sounds Of Aus (2007) and the documentary is unfortunately partially uploaded (stops at part 4, part 5 not uploaded), I did not have much luck tracking down other sources that streamed the documentary. The uploader however has a bunch of other interesting content uploaded (I am not going to enumerate it). If you're into Australian history and want some passive entertainment, check mattyo30 out.

I dislike ABC iView because its video quality is abysmal and the Flash player wrapper over the standard Adobe rtmp DRM is buggy, insofar as if you pause a video, walk away for 10 minutes, come back the goddamn thing has hung. I understand that they are railroaded into DRMing their content so that they can license BBC (and other) material and rebroadcast it, I'm not taking a swipe at you, it's just that the ABC have intentionally launched very low quality service (seriously it's like 320x240 scaled up in some mpeg artifact monstrosity) and now that it's in place it won't be improved until the NBN is thoroughly deployed (so they can justify the extra bandwidth I suppose, since they're currently targetting the lowest common denominator)

Sorry about that, fixed the title in my post now. Didn't realise till after posting that it was incomplete either. Will try a few other places to see if I can find it.

ABC iView has its own version for the PS3 as well, which is even worse than the normal one.
The ISP Internode has it as uncapped content though which is always nice.

FoiledAgain
May 6, 2007

Wrageowrapper posted:

The Sounds of Aus is a fun and entertaining doco about the aussie accent (if you didnt guess that). It goes for one hour and is worthwhile viewing for anyone who enjoyed the Story of English series, anyone interested in Australia or in etymology/social history. Its presented by a comedian so it's not exactly the most scientific analysis on the subject but it is a good view in my honest opinion.

As a linguist, I was pretty disappointed in this. It's really only worth watching for entertainment, there's not a lot of science. Their description of vowels and how to pronounce them was embarrassingly elementary.

edit: But the doc is more about the historical/social aspect anyway, so the pseudo-linguistics doesn't take away too much from the rest it.

FoiledAgain fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Sep 1, 2011

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

FoiledAgain posted:

As a linguist, I was pretty disappointed in this. It's really only worth watching for entertainment, there's not a lot of science. Their description of vowels and how to pronounce them was embarrassingly elementary.

edit: But the doc is more about the historical/social aspect anyway, so the pseudo-linguistics doesn't take away too much from the rest it.

So would the descriptions be sufficient for someone who doesn't know poo poo about it to get into it, or is it too basic even for that? It's an interesting topic but I know nothing of it.

FoiledAgain
May 6, 2007

Harvey Mantaco posted:

So would the descriptions be sufficient for someone who doesn't know poo poo about it to get into it, or is it too basic even for that? It's an interesting topic but I know nothing of it.

No, you won't learn anything about pronunciation or the phonetics of accent. The descriptions are along the lines of "imagine a straight line and talk along that line" or "American accents have more of a moving tongue". They don't even really distinguish between speech sounds and letters, presenting "A E I O U" as the vowels of the language.

But as I said, the socio-historical stuff is the main focus anyway, and it doesn't rest to much on the phonology. It just would have been nice if they had found an actual expert to describe the sounds of the language. For goodness sake they had a speech pathologist and an etiquette adviser for the pronunciation section, which sends a pretty weird message that dialects are deviant.

kolby
Oct 29, 2004

The Scientist posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO5P80x-m6k

This it?

I didn't upload it, and I used my ace-in-the hole, video.google.com (with the filter option "long") to find it. Its probably gonna disappear soon, so try doing that. Also take the advice in the description about the proxies or plugins that change your firefox or chrome headers.

I thought "Exit through a Gift Shop" was going to be boring, but I watched it and enjoyed it quite a bit. This one was even better.

GrandMaster
Aug 15, 2004
laidback

ImmortalYawn posted:

Oh my god. This is completely hilarious. This guy is a loving moron! At times I think Im watching some amazing comedy show, and the rest I am just cringing at how much of a peice of human waste this kid is.

I read on facebook recently that some people bumped into him about a year ago and said they and their friends were big fans of the documentary.. he said "i bet you all talk like me now"

The term "beugs" is now a staple in my vocabulary since watching Jisoe :350:

SuperTwo
Oct 30, 2010

Frankly I think The Cove has done a lot of harm. For one, it's one massive guilt trip by making people feel responsible for the dolphin slaughter by falsely linking it to Western marine parks and aquariums when in fact there is not a single Japanese dolphin in the entire western hemisphere. It is in fact illegal in the US to import dolphins captured by drive fishery because in order to import a wild caught dolphin it must be proved that it was captured humanely. It also spurred a massive hatred for Japan and the Japanese people among animal lovers to the extent that several people told me in person that the people of Japan deserved the devastation and loss of life after the earthquake and tsunami because of what they had seen in The Cove.

Ric O'Barry has done more harm to dolphins in his anti-captivity crusade than good. In 1996 he released two ex-navy dolphins named Buck and Luther that had been captured in Mississippi in 1988 into a pod of wild dolphins off Key West. Although he had applied for a permit to transport and release them in Mississippi he released them without permit from NMFS into an environment they were not native to. Although they had been undergoing "rehabilitation" for a year in a dolphin sanctuary they were unable to feed themselves and instead followed boats looking for hand outs. During their year at the sanctuary they received no veterinary care because marine mammal veterinarians practice mainly for captive dolphins. Because of the project's desire to have nothing to do with the marine park industry they refused to employ a veterinarian they saw as complicit with the marine park industry and instead they hired a shaman.

During their time at the sanctuary mismanagment of the dolphins allowed for Luther to impregnate two female dolphins also being rehabilitated for release. Those dolphins however were from a Florida population, meaning that the calves would be introducing genetics from a different population of dolphins into a wild population. One female aborted her calf after cold weather hit and they had to be moved to another area. The females were released without being marked for identification purposes and without permit. What happened to them and the remaining dolphin fetus will never be known.

Buck and Luther separated after their release and were regularly seen approaching boats, begging at marinas and following people on jet skis. They were regularly seen and both rapidly lost weight and were attacked by wild dolphins. A week after his release Luther was located and a team from NMFS and his navy handlers were able to rescue him by having him follow a boat and was taken to a dolphin facility for veterinary care. Buck however was not in the area and had traveled 70 miles to Islamorada. He was found weeks later and responded as well to the rescue team and followed a boat to the same location where Luther was taken. He was 100 pounds underweight and had begun breaking down his own muscle mass to survive. Luther was returned to the Navy after his recovery and passed away a few years ago. Buck however never fully recovered from his health and stayed at the dolphin facility until he died three years later. Veterinarians involved in their care likened their condition to terminally ill dolphins found during stranding events. Ric O'Barry and his associates were later fined $59,500 for violating the marine mammal protection act.

Sources: http://rosmarus.com/Releases/Rel_2.htm and http://marineanimalwelfare.com/sugerloaf.htm

TLDR; Ric O'Barry, the driving force behind The Cove is a massive douchebag that puts his own agenda before the animals he claims to care for.

SuperTwo fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Sep 4, 2011

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

h3r0n posted:

Armadillo

In 2009, Janus Metz and cameraman Lars Skree accompanied a platoon of Danish soldiers to Armadillo, a combat operations base in southern Afghanistan. For six months, often while under fire, they captured the lives of the young soldiers fighting the Taliban in a hostile and confusing environment, where official rhetoric about helping civilians too often met the unforgiving reality of being a foreign occupier. Winner of the Critics' Week Grand Prix at Cannes, Armadillo is one of the most dramatic and candid accounts of combat to come out of Afghanistan.

Thank you for the link I enjoyed the show, the footage lacks compared to some of the American documentaries but it kept me glued to the mac for 1:24 minutes.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

SuperTwo posted:

instead they hired a shaman.

I'm letting that roll around in my head, trying to comprehend the astronomical stupidity and ignorance.

A loving shaman.

SuperTwo
Oct 30, 2010

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I'm letting that roll around in my head, trying to comprehend the astronomical stupidity and ignorance.

A loving shaman.

I forgot to add the whole reason the dolphins were released in the keys instead of their place of origin. NMFS was going to seize the dolphins because of the poor care they were receiving at the dolphin sanctuary which was in violation of the Animal Welfare Act. As a "gently caress You" to the government they took the dolphins out and dumped them in the ocean, likely knowing they were in no shape to care for themselves. Buck was only on his own for two weeks but was 100 pounds underweight when found. I'm no marine mammal vet but it sounds to me that he was released when already in poor condition

SuperTwo fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Sep 5, 2011

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

h3r0n posted:

Armadillo

Just watched it, great documentary.

Rakshas
Jun 7, 2003
Oompa Loompa Extraordinarie
Koran by Heart

A global contest reading of the Quran by young Muslim children that takes place in Cairo, Egypt annually during Ramadan. A coming of age story about Muslim kids in modern times.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyYXyHrNLmk

This is a great doc. Funny how the main kid (who happens to look a bit like Haley Joel Osment) sucks at everything else except being awesome at reciting every verse of the Koran.

Saucepan Man
Jul 15, 2010

Anyone know when the next Louis Theroux doc is coming out? If at all. I believe he is supposed to have one more on the BBC 2 before his contract is run out. Either that or the Miami Jail one was his last scheduled one.

Edgar Quintero
Oct 5, 2004

POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS
DO NOT GIVE HEROIN
I believe Miami Megajail ends the dangerous places series or whatever it is called.

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009
Madness in the Fastlane

This is good but incredibly frustrating due to lack of answers. I thought I would watch 2-3 minutes just to see the opening but I kept getting more :stare::confused:

My shortened preview/description posted:

"In 2008, BBC cameras filmed two Swedish sisters throwing themselves into traffic on the M6... they ran on to the motorway numerous times and were struck by oncoming vehicles, causing Ursula to be incapacitated.

[quote="My shortened preview/description"]

The footage was shocking. One previewer wrote On no account miss this documentary. It opens with what is perhaps the most extraordinary footage I’ve seen on TV.

But this amazing footage was only part of an even more incredible story, one which could not be told at the time for legal reasons."

I would love for some of you the watch this and hear your opinions on why there is little (basically none) known as to why this happened.

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/madness-in-the-fast-lane/

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
I remember seeing that when it first aired and feeling utterly in awe at the insanity of the whole air. Watching the footage of them on the motorway it still feels unreal somehow, like its really a viral trailer for a film or something.

The Valuum
Apr 11, 2004

Saucepan Man posted:

Anyone know when the next Louis Theroux doc is coming out? If at all. I believe he is supposed to have one more on the BBC 2 before his contract is run out. Either that or the Miami Jail one was his last scheduled one.

He had a contract for 20 total. So there's 2 more coming, unless they count the 2 part Miami Mega Jail as one in which case there are 3.

Saucepan Man
Jul 15, 2010

The Valuum posted:

He had a contract for 20 total. So there's 2 more coming, unless they count the 2 part Miami Mega Jail as one in which case there are 3.

Awesome, Louis is one of my favorite interviewers, is there anyone else kinda like him that I should check out?

The Valuum
Apr 11, 2004

Saucepan Man posted:

Awesome, Louis is one of my favorite interviewers, is there anyone else kinda like him that I should check out?

I dunno, Ross Kemp maybe? I only saw the heroin episode, but it seemed like a similar style (A familiar character lead the documentary and you see some of his personality as well).

Louis Theroux has to ask some of his questions just for the reaction right? Some of them don't seem very natural.

Smee
Sep 24, 2004

WouldDesk posted:

Madness in the Fastlane

This is good but incredibly frustrating due to lack of answers. I thought I would watch 2-3 minutes just to see the opening but I kept getting more :stare::confused:

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/madness-in-the-fast-lane/

I know it's been said a few times already, but this is quite literally ":psyduck:: The Movie". I just... what the... I don't even.... :gonk:

mikewozere
Jun 2, 2008

Aiiiii
It was on the iPlayer popular list for weeks. I watched it and kept getting more and more freaked out. It just keeps on giving in the first half.

Slightly Used Cake
Oct 21, 2010
Apropriate Adult

http://www.itv.com/itvplayer/video/?Filter=269442

Mostly following Janet Leech who was the apropriate adult for Fred West. Apropriate adults sit in on interviews with the police to act on behalf of the interests of people who aren't right in the head. Fred West was a crazy serial killer who owned a lot of crack houses and murdered lots of girls, he then buried the girls in the backyards of those crackhouses. And his own house. I'm not originally from the UK so I don't know the whole story on it, but it's loving disturbing. I know someone who met this guy once and was in one of his houses and aparently they got it spot on. Sorry I don't know if there's any links for outside the UK.

Slightly Used Cake fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Sep 8, 2011

The Valuum
Apr 11, 2004
So I just watched the Louis Theroux doc a place for pedophiles, anyone have any other docs on the subject? I watched a british one but it was moreso about the police team and legal actions, it was kinda boring and had a shitload of commercials in the video.

WouldDesk
Dec 26, 2009

The Valuum posted:

So I just watched the Louis Theroux doc a place for pedophiles, anyone have any other docs on the subject? I watched a british one but it was moreso about the police team and legal actions, it was kinda boring and had a shitload of commercials in the video.

There is another pedophile doc that follows members of NAMBLA that was posted about 4-5 weeks ago? Maybe longer, I am sure someone can re-post the title. Iy is much more disturbing than the Theroux one, I don;t think I finished it for that reason. It is very, how do you say... revealing. :pedo:

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

WouldDesk posted:

There is another doc that follows members of NAMBLA.
Chicken Hawks : Men who love boys

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
Still can't muster up the courage to go near any of those pedophile doc's.

Apparently there are a whole bunch of full length documentary/films up on youtube, for free, under "movies":

http://www.youtube.com/movies/documentary?fl=f&l=en&pt=fm&st=f

Can't comment on their availability outside of the States, kinda curious myself.

The Valuum
Apr 11, 2004

WouldDesk posted:

There is another pedophile doc that follows members of NAMBLA that was posted about 4-5 weeks ago? Maybe longer, I am sure someone can re-post the title. Iy is much more disturbing than the Theroux one, I don;t think I finished it for that reason. It is very, how do you say... revealing. :pedo:

You know what I thought was dumb? The fact that the pedophile center was focused on "curing" pedophiles. I don't see how they could really change, it seems like it'd be like trying to change a homosexual. I was thinking the treatment would be more based on prevention and understanding it's morally wrong.

Thanks for posting the NAMBLA one!

Edit: Also I LOVED the fact that the date rapist was mixing and serving the punch, I laughed when Louis took a drink.

The Valuum fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Sep 8, 2011

Edgar Quintero
Oct 5, 2004

POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS
DO NOT GIVE HEROIN

Slightly Used Cake posted:

Apropriate Adult

http://www.itv.com/itvplayer/video/?Filter=269442

Mostly following Janet Leech who was the apropriate adult for Fred West. Apropriate adults sit in on interviews with the police to act on behalf of the interests of people who aren't right in the head. Fred West was a crazy serial killer who owned a lot of crack houses and murdered lots of girls, he then buried the girls in the backyards of those crackhouses. And his own house. I'm not originally from the UK so I don't know the whole story on it, but it's loving disturbing. I know someone who met this guy once and was in one of his houses and aparently they got it spot on. Sorry I don't know if there's any links for outside the UK.

Isn't this a fictional drama series?

Also thank you to whoever recommended Tell me and I will Forget, the South African paramedic doc. Very informative and gripping.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Communocracy posted:

Isn't this a fictional drama series?

Yeah it's based on real events but calling it a documentary is a bit of a stretch.

Edgar Quintero
Oct 5, 2004

POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS
DO NOT GIVE HEROIN
ABC Colombia: A portrait of a town in rural Colombia controlled by FARC
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=021y1tXNnTY&

El Goatherd
Jun 25, 2005

hate is art

cloudchamber posted:

Yeah it's based on real events but calling it a documentary is a bit of a stretch.

Here's a documentary about it in case anyone's interested :

Crimes That Shook the World : the Wests
http://youtu.be/NG2CI_urUAE (part 1)
http://youtu.be/jS43Nh-iCqg (part 2)
http://youtu.be/ZBAAX1ynPLI (part 3)
http://youtu.be/2PSx-VzwMsc (part 4)

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
I used to love this show as a kid; it would freak me the gently caress out.

Arthur C. Clarke's Mysterious World
http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/arthur-clarke-mysterious-world/

Arthur C. Clarke, author of "2001" and inventor of the communications satellite, apparently, explores weird mysteries and strange phenomena.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

The Scientist posted:

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/arthur-clarke-mysterious-world/

Arthur C. Clarke, author of "2001" and inventor of the communications satellite, apparently, explores weird mysteries and strange phenomena.

Seconding this. It was one of the few "spooky poo poo" shows that even tried to approach the paranormal in a scientific or skeptical way. Sort of, "In Search Of," but not written for credulous idiots.

SamLikesCake
Oct 6, 2006

... and he is my navigator.

The Scientist posted:

Holy poo poo, I had forgotten about this! I used to watch it on Discovery Channel as a kid. The crystal skull in the opening used to scare me. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit

SamLikesCake posted:

Holy poo poo, I had forgotten about this! I used to watch it on Discovery Channel as a kid. The crystal skull in the opening used to scare me. :3:

Every word of this is also true of me. I also remember going to school and telling people about this show and no-one ever having any idea what I was talking about (I was ahead of my time [third grade])

Oh well. I have you guys right? right? guys?