Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. P
May 22, 2001

You should be able to get a bit of extra speed with older builds. What are your settings? Try turning off "lock threads to cores" if you have it on, it usually just seems to hurt my FPS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So what's a Phenom II X3 720 at 3.7GHz comparable to then :v:

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I have only ever played wii sports on a friend's wii.

What are the best wii games? Tell me what to buy. I don't have a wii controller but have a DS3 that I can use on my PC. I like:

-fps games
-JRPGs
-demons souls
-uncharted
-really good games
-non j- rpgs
-personas
-jagged alliance
-very good games, not bad games because I have limited time now that I am old

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

redreader posted:

What are the best wii games? Tell me what to buy. I don't have a wii controller but have a DS3 that I can use on my PC. I like:

-fps games
-JRPGs
-demons souls
-uncharted
-really good games
-non j- rpgs
-personas
-jagged alliance

XenoBlade. All Years. Everywhere. Play it in bed with your wife while you're doing the dirty because it's probably better. Xenoblade.

trinary
Jul 21, 2003

College Slice
I just got a new iMac the other week and was curious about how Dolphin might work. I grabbed a build from a few days ago, got a wiimote driver so a real wiimote pairs via BT, and have various nunchuks and classic controllers. I also have a 360 wired pad and drivers for it that seem to work (prefpane stuff responds perfectly).

I can't seem to configure any of these devices to actually work in the emulator, though. Most of the time when I try to configure a button/stick it instantly deactivates with no input selected. The rest of the time it acts as if no input has been given. The wiimote just blinks the 1 and 2 leds at its base endlessly. I know this is pretty vague, but is there anything like a step by step to get either a real wiimote, a 360 pad, or a classic controller working on a mac?

orborborb
Jan 20, 2004

redreader posted:

Donkey Kong Country Returns is the best Wii game. It never feels like its wasting your time (though if you really suck at platforming you may feel differently). Even if you disliked the originals, give this one a shot. Same developer as Metroid Prime.

Xenoblade and Mario Galaxy 1&2 are great but you if you are completely fed up with games you can play through large portions of on autopilot without having to think too much they do suffer from that, as do Twilight Princess and Kirby and Mario Kart and both Metroid games. Basically they are too easy.

Punch Out, New Super Mario Brothers, and Sin & Punishment 2 are more ideal for the old man gamer with no time to waste. Zack and Wiki and Fire Emblem have great gameplay that makes up for their annoying attempts at characters/plot. And I have a soft spot for the original Marble Mania, which makes the only good use of the tilt sensor. The sequel sucks however, it dumbed down the play control so the game is reduced to "tilt" wait "stop tilting" wait "tilt" wait "stop tilting" etc. It's agony.

orborborb fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Sep 7, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

redreader posted:

-fps games
-JRPGs
-demons souls
-uncharted
-really good games
-non j- rpgs
-personas
-jagged alliance

TBH, by and large the Wii library doesn't really match your taste in games. There are some good ones though.

RPG:
Xenoblade as we've been discussing for the last few pages is tremendous and really fixes a lot of what was wrong with JRPGs. It's easy, yeah, but aside from game difficulty it does somehow manage to streamline most of the tedious boring poo poo in JRPGs without sacrificing a single bit of depth, while simultaneously making huge open environments to explore with literally hundreds of side quests. It has the scope of the ridiculously epic JRPGs of the 32 bit era but manages to take the stale style and make it every bit as exciting as it was way back then when we were still just teens.

Monster Hunter Tri is a really good action RPG with some neat online elements that are completely inaccessible with Dolphin, unfortunately. A rather large chunk of the game's content is based on online play, but there's still a lot to do and it's still pretty fun even in single player. It's pretty challenging and fun.

FPS:
Uh, well, there aint much. You could try the Metroid Prime games, at least the gamecube versions will work fine with a controller. I never tried 3 on Dolphin without a Wiimote, but I don't think it would work too well.

Aside from that, just look at Nintendo's catalog and pick and choose from the brands you recognize, the odds of you finding a bad game is extremely low. New Super Mario Bros, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Twilight Princess (get the Gamecube version if you're using a gamepad), the mind-blowingly good Mario Galaxy games, and the rest of the really obvious choices.

Least obvious choice: Little King's Story. It's Pikmin set in a strange, extremely whimsical, and charming fantasy world. It's also one of the best games on the Wii despite hardly anyone knowing about it.

edit: Xenoblade wasn't released in the US, only Japan and Europe. If you live in the states, you'll have to import a copy. It's totally worth it, though. last I heard, play.com had some copies.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Sep 7, 2011

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Well, for JRPGs I still suggest Baiten Kaitos to people. It is gamecube, not Wii, but they are mostly the same thing. It is definitely one which benefits from emulation though, and it is what I tried when I loaded up dolphin for the first time.
Here is a quick video showing what it looks like in an emulator.

There is apparently some sort of crash bug at some point in the game, or there was. I am not sure about it though. I played through it on a gamecube.

Mostly though, I like it the card-based combat system and the really well done backgrounds.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
It's a good game, but it has weird emulation bugs - the menu background is nearly always corrupted and the character models don't respect the backgrounds and always appear on top. Plus you have to disable a major optimization for the card inventory to not lag horribly.

This was a few months ago, though, so it might've been fixed by now. It's too bad, that and Paper Mario 2 were the two games I really wanted to play again and both bugged like hell.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Note to self: quit relying on save states. Just lost like an hour and a half worthy of exploring time in Xenoblade because the game crapped out right after I quicksaved. I think save state instability is like the only problem I have left in Dolphin, but that's partly my fault for wanting to save before/after every little event.

e: Forgot to actually ask, are there any settings that can help with the game crashing particularly when state saving/loading? Game seems to run ok so I can spare some performance if it'll mean a more stable experience.

VDay fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Sep 8, 2011

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Monster Hunter Tri is a really good action RPG with some neat online elements that are completely inaccessible with Dolphin, unfortunately. A rather large chunk of the game's content is based on online play, but there's still a lot to do and it's still pretty fun even in single player. It's pretty challenging and fun.

You can patch your ISO to access the online stores and missions. They're still tuned for multiple people, but you're not completely shut out of them.

garney
Jul 21, 2007
How is the general compatibility with Mac? I've got a macbook pro and just downloaded Dolphin to have a run through Wind Waker, and whilst it works pretty well most of the time, it will occasionally slow down alot and the graphics aren't quite right, the textures all appear to have extra shadows on them? Any settings I need to change to make it a bit smoother?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Filthy Monkey posted:

Well, for JRPGs I still suggest Baiten Kaitos to people. It is gamecube, not Wii, but they are mostly the same thing. It is definitely one which benefits from emulation though, and it is what I tried when I loaded up dolphin for the first time.
Here is a quick video showing what it looks like in an emulator.

There is apparently some sort of crash bug at some point in the game, or there was. I am not sure about it though. I played through it on a gamecube.

Mostly though, I like it the card-based combat system and the really well done backgrounds.

Re: Baten Kaitos. This commit fixes backgrounds and such: http://code.google.com/p/dolphin-emu/source/detail?r=0bdf8646f09c2f7cf2324ddf6cacf6cc1b31da07&name=zcomploc-support

There are two zcomploc branches, if you compile the support one then it should hopefully make the game a little bit more playable. Still is crashy with dual core support though.

If there's one negative thing about their move to GIT, is that there's now branches everywhere to keep track of, which I guess is smarter from a development standpoint but a lot of changes are now isolated from eachother. I have like half a dozen builds now for specific purposes.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Where's the memory card stored for Wii games? I want to transfer a couple of saves from one version of Dolphin to another.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

VDay posted:

Where's the memory card stored for Wii games? I want to transfer a couple of saves from one version of Dolphin to another.

<Dolphin>\User\Wii\title\00010000\

Each folder is a different game.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Also consider setting the Wii's NAND to a different directory. Like somewhere in My Documents. (You'll probably have to move it there manually before Dolphin will recognize.)

Then version folders don't matter and it gets swept up in the backup without trying.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Gyoru posted:

<Dolphin>\User\Wii\title\00010000\

Each folder is a different game.
Thanks. That's what I thought but wasn't sure because one version of Dolphin had like a dozen folders in there from the random games that I tried once and never played again.

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Also consider setting the Wii's NAND to a different directory. Like somewhere in My Documents. (You'll probably have to move it there manually before Dolphin will recognize.)

Then version folders don't matter and it gets swept up in the backup without trying.
Good idea, thanks.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA
I'm playing Xenoblade and while generally I've got it running pretty well (1920x1200 fullscreen, 3x texture res, 27-30FPS), I have a weird graphical issue. Somewhat regularly, it's like the game resets to a much lower resolution and everything gets super jaggy. The weird thing is that save-stating corrects the issue immediately. Anyone else seen this?

I'm on an i5-750, Radeon 4890, Gigabyte GA-P55, Win7 x64. Using one of Gyoru's latest builds.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So uh, if I have a phenom II which of these custom builds do I download?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So uh, if I have a phenom II which of these custom builds do I download?
As far as I know, don't bother. AMD only supports SSE4a, which is a variant of SSE4 that doesn't support all the instructions, and has a few of its own unique ones. I'm pretty sure when I tested Dolphin on a Phenom II, it just fell back to SSE3 because Dolphin doesn't support SSE4a.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

It runs fine though a little slow, but more or less I wanted to see if the custom builds ran any better.

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

I think my NES is broken....
I've got a Phenom II x4 955 OC'd to 4.0Ghz that I run Xenoblade on. Runs full speed about 95% of the time. Mild slow down in battles. I linked the build I use earlier in the thread. I'm on my phone out and about otherwise of check for you.

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

No one gives a fuck about shit.
So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,
Cause shit's fucked anyway.
Shit is run in to the ground.

I don't wanna think about it,
I just wanna get down.

redreader posted:

-fps games
-JRPGs
-demons souls
-uncharted
-really good games
-non j- rpgs
-personas
-jagged alliance

Get Muramasa: The Demon Blade

I still consider it the best game on Wii. The art is incredible, the combat is fun as hell (and you can either choose a button mash-y mode or a harder, timing/dodge based mode, much like Ninja Gaiden or DMC to suit your preferences). It also has some RPG elements.

It's possibly the only game where I've ever spent hours just staring at the environment and marveling about how pretty it is.

It's a really incredible game and I feel like it doesn't get the praise it deserves.

That being said, does anyone have a Dolphin patch or something to make Muramasa run a bit smoother? It's totally playable right now but I get a slight stutter every once in a while that hurts on hard mode :(

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I went here

https://sites.google.com/site/ryancollinsdolphinbuilds/builds

and got the GIT 3.0-95 64bit version

now I get 30fps in everything and so far no sound issues.

I was getting 20~ fps before in 7719

I got that savegame image bug now though...

edit: "- EFB - Copy [ON] Mode [TEXTURE] <- huge speedup, but corrupts the save game picture."

Well this seems to be the reason. Can't say I give a poo poo about such a thing so efb to texture it is!

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Sep 15, 2011

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Just made some new x64 ICC builds myself.

Unpatched
Dolphin 3.0-96 SSE3
Dolphin 3.0-96 SSE4.2

With Mylek's Xenoblade Audio Patch 3.1
Dolphin 3.0-96 SSE3
Dolphin 3.0-96 SSE4.2

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Filthy Monkey posted:

Just made some new x64 ICC builds myself.

Unpatched
Dolphin 3.0-96 SSE3
Dolphin 3.0-96 SSE4.2

With Mylek's Xenoblade Audio Patch 3.1
Dolphin 3.0-96 SSE3
Dolphin 3.0-96 SSE4.2

Does this come with this commit? http://code.google.com/p/dolphin-emu/source/detail?r=5ea2b1b519f02bd485a5c24a1db1145c48982be5

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Yes. You can confirm it yourself by opening up the build and checking the revision hash in the about screen. Google code truncates it in that display, but you can see that the starting three bytes match.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So I tried your build and it was a lot slower (sse3 version) on my phenom II than the other one I was using...

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Tried the SSE3 version as well on my overclocked C2D E8400 and it's a lot more stable than the version I was using before. Played for a solid two hours last night without a lockup, at 4X native, 16X anisotropic.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So I tried your build and it was a lot slower (sse3 version) on my phenom II than the other one I was using...

Double check the build- does it want sse3 or ssse3. That's the big problem AMD users have with PCSx2.

Lucificate
Jan 4, 2005
I grabbed filthmonkey's SSE3 build and was able to run Xenoblade for about an hour before it crashed. Only issues were some audio stuttering (sometimes kinda extreme). Since that crash, I haven't been able to get a single Dolphin build to run for more than 10 seconds or so in game before it stutters to a halt and crashes.

I don't think any of my hardware randomly crapped out since all my other games still work fine and I don't really have a clue where to start figuring this out!

Anyway, it sure ran nice for a bit there.

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
As an intel user, I'm using filthy's latest build, SSE4 + 64 bit and the 30FPS patch and I'm getting the best emulation I've ever gotten with Xenoblade. Max FPS at all times whereas before I was getting random slowdowns here and there, 98% perfect software emulation of the sound vs 100% perfect hardware before. It's so good I'm tempted to start increasing the graphics settings to see how far I can push it.

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

bbcisdabomb posted:

Double check the build- does it want sse3 or ssse3. That's the big problem AMD users have with PCSx2.
My SSE3 builds are definitely SSE3 and not SSSE3. I set SSE3 via the /arch compile flag. SSSE3 isn't even an option. If I wanted to compile an SSSE3 build, I would have to use /Qx or /QaX. I turn those off when compiling the SSE3 build, as they don't function with AMD processors.

The SSE4.2 builds are made with /Qx.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Are you sure you are using the same settings? Try just switching the exe out. Apart from that, I would say to make sure you are comparing similar versions too. It is possible that some of the older revisions may be faster. If that fails, well, then keep using your other version. I can say with certainty that the builds are faster than equivalent VC++ builds on my system, but I can't say it for every system.

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Sep 17, 2011

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
How are the current SVN builds compared to the pre-3.0 SVN? I swore off this emu a few months ago to let the branches meld back together after performance took a massive poo poo for compatibility and accuracy without optimization.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Check the game specific compatibilies (right click on the game in Dolphin and select properties.

Make sure Idle Skipping is filled (not checked), and that Idle Skipping is enabled in the main emulator settings. (alternatively, simply check Idle Skipping in the game specific properties.

You may also want to try copying the old exe to the newer 30-96 directory. Run that EXE, and config so the settings match your previous. OK/Close the config, and then try running the newer EXE. It may simply be there is some sort of setting being changed that is not actually accessible with other builds (or even with the older build, even though it may still make changes).

EDIT: OK, actually I am getting some performance issues in combat. I may tinker around some more, but the r7714 build I was using before "just worked".

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Sep 17, 2011

Naky
May 30, 2001

Resident Crackhead
Intel i5 750, 4GB of RAM, GTX 460 using SSE4.2 x64 version of 3.0.96 with:

- Enable Dual Core
- Framelimit: Off
- JIT Recompiler
- Lock threads to Cores
- DSP HLE Emulation (I have LLE, but it's not as good in this build)
- Enable DTK Music
- Enable Audio Throttle
- XAudio2
- DX9, 2x Native, 4x SSAA, 16x AF, Scaled EFB Copy
- Ignore Format Changes, EFB Copies: Texture, Texture Cache: Fast, EF Buffer: Disable, Fast Mipmaps, Disable Per-Pixel Depth, OpenMP Texture Decoder

... these options on and I've gotten pretty much 100% emulation all the time with virtually no FPS drop, except every once in a while the game will stutter for half a frame randomly, which could simply be poo poo in background of my PC flaring up and affecting the emulator. I'm actually going to play around with the graphics now and see how far I can push it before it starts affecting my frame rate. Those of you with similar builds should hopefully get similar results.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

VDay posted:

Tried the SSE3 version as well on my overclocked C2D E8400 and it's a lot more stable than the version I was using before. Played for a solid two hours last night without a lockup, at 4X native, 16X anisotropic.

Oh, that's my CPU too. I'll have to try this out. I'm running Xenoblade fairly well, with some audio studdering. I do also crash sometimes as well, though.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

It seems I can do LLE on my phenom 2....sometimes.

I don't really understand why the game will randomly hardlock either in the middle of a cutscene, or when you're just running around. It seems all very inconsistent.

For me, putting on texture instead of ram with cache (no option for texture with cache) fucks up the little save screenshot but the performance is like night and day with no other visual garbage.

Also what does it mean when on 1080 I get no fps change from putting it on 2x or 4x? Normally I would think it's a graphics card issue, but GPUz never really reports more than like 30% usage.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
The multiplier in dolphin only increases based on the game's original resolution. I have not encountered a single game on Dolphin that was GPU intensive, so I just set the thing to scale to Window resolution and was done with it. Any games i have met with slow performance have been slow at native resolution. Increasing neither helped (obviously) nor hurt.

Best bet is to just leave things like AF, and scaling at default until/if you get 100% speed, then tick each of the upward, but I'd say if you have any High-mid/mid-high GPU that is recent enough to be DX10 compatible then resolution won't matter outside of an odd game.

Example, with PCSX2 and Dragon Quest VIII, increasing resolution is especially demanding because of the way it renders characters as textures then applies a filter. I do not think this is GPU demanding, however. Just that it is an example of a game which actually becomes rather demanding with resolution increase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

I'm setting up Dolphin in preparation for Xenoblade, but how can I get my PS3 six-axis to work with it?

• Locked thread