Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Bringing the TTL down as mention is also helpful. Lower it, and wait long enough so the old one expires. Then the switch goes faster, and if you need to switch back you won't be out of luck as long.

Handy sites for checking DNS:

OpenDNS cache check: http://www.opendns.com/support/cache/
http://www.intodns.com/
http://dnscheck.pingdom.com/

I think seeing if you can get control over your own DNS would be the first step while you are shopping around for new hosts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem
What's the most cost effective way to host live audio streaming these days? I'm currently fully utilizing a 100mbit port on a dedicated windows server from serverbeach. my platform is wowza media server, but my important systems are also compatible with flash media server. i'm not using much RAM or CPU on the box, only BW out.

Surmy
May 25, 2010

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

JHVH-1 posted:

Bringing the TTL down as mention is also helpful. Lower it, and wait long enough so the old one expires. Then the switch goes faster, and if you need to switch back you won't be out of luck as long.

Handy sites for checking DNS:

OpenDNS cache check: http://www.opendns.com/support/cache/
http://www.intodns.com/
http://dnscheck.pingdom.com/

I think seeing if you can get control over your own DNS would be the first step while you are shopping around for new hosts.

I definitely can edit the DNS records, I seem to be on the right path then.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
Cross-posting this from http://forum.linode.com/viewtopic.php?t=7699 because you guys might be able to help:

First of all, what I have:
Linode 512
32-bit Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
Apache 2.2.14
PHP 5.3.2
MySQL 5.1.41

I'm running http://americankpopfans.com/ for a couple friends, and they had a huge spike in users a couple days ago, and ever since then, it's been having performance issues. The original issues were due to hitting the swap hard. I realized MaxClients in Apache was way too high (it was at the default of 150), so my settings now look like this:

code:
<IfModule mpm_prefork_module>
    StartServers              1
    MinSpareServers           3
    MaxSpareServers           6
    ServerLimit              15
    MaxClients               15
    MaxRequestsPerChild    3000
</IfModule>
That fixed the swap issue, but now the CPU is going berserk. It looks like this:

It's pretty much all due to MySQL, too. I've been trying to tweak it, but it doesn't seem to be helping. Here are my settings:

code:
key_buffer          = 8M
max_allowed_packet  = 1M
thread_stack        = 128K
thread_cache_size   = 8
max_connections     = 100
table_cache         = 128
query_cache_limit	= 1M
query_cache_size    = 32M
They have a decent amount of traffic, but it's not outrageous by any means (it's on the order of 2000-6000 hits a day). I don't really know what to do right now. I've also installed Quick Cache which is working (view the source on the homepage and scroll to the bottom). For some reason, though, it's still hitting MySQL hard and is loading super slowly. Does anyone have any ideas about what might be causing this?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

What's the output from top look like? Sort the processes by CPU usage (hit 'O' then 'K' after top loads)

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Fangs404 posted:

Cross-posting this from http://forum.linode.com/viewtopic.php?t=7699 because you guys might be able to help:

First of all, what I have:
Linode 512
32-bit Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
Apache 2.2.14
PHP 5.3.2
MySQL 5.1.41

I'm running http://americankpopfans.com/ for a couple friends, and they had a huge spike in users a couple days ago, and ever since then, it's been having performance issues. The original issues were due to hitting the swap hard. I realized MaxClients in Apache was way too high (it was at the default of 150), so my settings now look like this:

code:
<IfModule mpm_prefork_module>
    StartServers              1
    MinSpareServers           3
    MaxSpareServers           6
    ServerLimit              15
    MaxClients               15
    MaxRequestsPerChild    3000
</IfModule>
That fixed the swap issue, but now the CPU is going berserk. It looks like this:

It's pretty much all due to MySQL, too. I've been trying to tweak it, but it doesn't seem to be helping. Here are my settings:

code:
key_buffer          = 8M
max_allowed_packet  = 1M
thread_stack        = 128K
thread_cache_size   = 8
max_connections     = 100
table_cache         = 128
query_cache_limit	= 1M
query_cache_size    = 32M
They have a decent amount of traffic, but it's not outrageous by any means (it's on the order of 2000-6000 hits a day). I don't really know what to do right now. I've also installed Quick Cache which is working (view the source on the homepage and scroll to the bottom). For some reason, though, it's still hitting MySQL hard and is loading super slowly. Does anyone have any ideas about what might be causing this?

I found this blog here with some options for Wordpress tuning/caching to cut down the number of MySQL queries, I don't know much about wordpress but I doubt your website is updated fast enough that you shouldn't abuse as many caching techniques as possible

http://elliottback.com/wp/why-my-wordpress-site-is-so-much-faster-than-yours/

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Bob Morales posted:

What's the output from top look like? Sort the processes by CPU usage (hit 'O' then 'K' after top loads)

Here are a few samples taken several seconds apart:

ClosedBSD posted:

I found this blog here with some options for Wordpress tuning/caching to cut down the number of MySQL queries, I don't know much about wordpress but I doubt your website is updated fast enough that you shouldn't abuse as many caching techniques as possible

http://elliottback.com/wp/why-my-wordpress-site-is-so-much-faster-than-yours/

I already have caching enabled in wp-config.php, and I'm using the Quick Cache plugin (similar to WP-Super Cache). It's weird to me that the database is getting hit at all. Once the popular pages get cached, the database shouldn't be getting hit again for another hour.

Fangs404 fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Sep 6, 2011

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

You're still paging like crazy, I bet. Each apache process is using ~60mb and there's 9 of them. You have almost no free RAM in that second screen shot.

Do an 'iostat -m 1' and you'll see how much it's writing every second.

How big is your mysql database? Go along with what ClosedBSD was saying, there are a lot of guides out there for running a VPS in a lower-memory setup. 512MB isn't as bad as 256MB or 128MB but you're running on the edge of hitting swap.

Also change your font in Putty to Consolas or something only scrubs use Courier ;)

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Bob Morales posted:

You're still paging like crazy, I bet. Each apache process is using ~60mb and there's 9 of them. You have almost no free RAM in that second screen shot.

Do an 'iostat -m 1' and you'll see how much it's writing every second.

How big is your mysql database? Go along with what ClosedBSD was saying, there are a lot of guides out there for running a VPS in a lower-memory setup. 512MB isn't as bad as 256MB or 128MB but you're running on the edge of hitting swap.

Also change your font in Putty to Consolas or something only scrubs use Courier ;)

code:
Linux 2.6.39.1-linode34 (galactica) 	09/06/11 	_i686_	(4 CPU)

avg-cpu:  %user   %nice %system %iowait  %steal   %idle
          27.51    0.00    2.85    1.21    1.25   67.17

Device:            tps    MB_read/s    MB_wrtn/s    MB_read    MB_wrtn
xvda              8.72         0.11         0.02       1699        335
xvdb             37.05         0.10         0.12       1416       1729

84.35    0.00    8.18    0.23    6.07    1.17

xvda              3.00         0.02         0.00          0          0
xvdb              0.00         0.00         0.00          0          0

88.97    0.00    6.71    0.00    4.32    0.00

xvda              0.00         0.00         0.00          0          0

91.83    0.00    7.18    0.00    0.99    0.00

90.84    0.00    8.42    0.00    0.74    0.00

91.83    0.00    7.18    0.00    0.74    0.25

18.27    0.00    1.16    0.00    0.00   80.56

xvda              2.00         0.00         0.03          0          0

13.41    0.00    0.42    0.00    0.14   86.03

13.02    0.00    1.74    0.00    0.00   85.24

The database isn't huge by any means. ibdata1 is only 18mb.

[edit]
I just changed MaxClients to 10 just to drop memory usage (I now have 135mb free). However, MySQL is still taking up 55-80% CPU, and the site is still loading slowly.

Fangs404 fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Sep 6, 2011

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Okay, doesn't look like you're paging. Can you go into mysql and just do some simple things like 'show databases' and 'select * from articles' and see if happens instantly or not?

I wonder if you have a Wordpress plugin or something that is making the whole site slow. Think back to when the site started acting up, and what the last thing you did was...

code:
ab -t30 -c5 [url]http://americankpopfans.com/[/url]
This is ApacheBench, Version 2.3 <$Revision: 655654 $>
Copyright 1996 Adam Twiss, Zeus Technology Ltd, [url]http://www.zeustech.net/[/url]
Licensed to The Apache Software Foundation, [url]http://www.apache.org/[/url]

Benchmarking americankpopfans.com (be patient)
Finished 26 requests

Server Software:        Apache/2.2.14
Server Hostname:        americankpopfans.com
Server Port:            80

Document Path:          /
Document Length:        99074 bytes

Concurrency Level:      5
Time taken for tests:   34.578 seconds
Complete requests:      26
Failed requests:        0
Write errors:           0
Total transferred:      2715516 bytes
HTML transferred:       2701944 bytes
Requests per second:    0.75 [#/sec] (mean)
Time per request:       6649.660 [ms] (mean)
Time per request:       1329.932 [ms] (mean, across all concurrent requests)
Transfer rate:          76.69 [Kbytes/sec] received

Connection Times (ms)
              min  mean[+/-sd] median   max
Connect:       53   55   1.4     55      58
Processing:   856 4958 4152.9   2479   10733
Waiting:      680 4784 4152.7   2305   10558
Total:        913 5014 4153.0   2538   10789

Percentage of the requests served within a certain time (ms)
  50%   2538
  66%   9181
  75%   9628
  80%   9885
  90%   9976
  95%  10040
  98%  10789
  99%  10789
 100%  10789 (longest request)

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Bob Morales posted:

Okay, doesn't look like you're paging. Can you go into mysql and just do some simple things like 'show databases' and 'select * from articles' and see if happens instantly or not?

I wonder if you have a Wordpress plugin or something that is making the whole site slow. Think back to when the site started acting up, and what the last thing you did was...

Just ran some queries, and they ran almost instantly. I'm starting to wonder if it's a plugin too. Is there a way to log every query MySQL gets or a way to watch them in realtime? If I could see every query it's being issued, I could probably identify the problem.

[edit]
I don't think it's a plugin. They aren't using many, and the ones they are using are really popular and should have any kinks like this worked out:

[edit2]
Using apachetop, I can see that it's getting like 2.5req/sec. I can't see a reason why mysqld should be so tied up.

Fangs404 fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Sep 6, 2011

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Fangs404 posted:

Just ran some queries, and they ran almost instantly. I'm starting to wonder if it's a plugin too. Is there a way to log every query MySQL gets or a way to watch them in realtime? If I could see every query it's being issued, I could probably identify the problem.

[edit]
I don't think it's a plugin. They aren't using many, and the ones they are using are really popular and should have any kinks like this worked out:

It does seem like you're loading a ton of poo poo on the front page.

One thing you could try is disabling all the plugins and re-enable them one by one, it'll either gradually get slower or one will just gently caress the server.

Before that, you might want to look up 'mysql slow query log' and see if there's a certain one or two that are doing all the damage.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Bob Morales posted:

It does seem like you're loading a ton of poo poo on the front page.

One thing you could try is disabling all the plugins and re-enable them one by one, it'll either gradually get slower or one will just gently caress the server.

Before that, you might want to look up 'mysql slow query log' and see if there's a certain one or two that are doing all the damage.

Yeah, you're right. It was set to show 25 posts. I changed it to 15.

If I put to site in maintenance mode using this plugin, all of a sudden it's fast. As soon as I go back to live mode, though, it's slow. Disabling all the plugins in live mode doesn't seem to really do anything in regards to helping speed things up.

Now, I'm not so sure it's MySQL. I enabled the slow query log, but the slowest query is taking only like 0.003 seconds. I'm kinda at a loss here. I don't really know what else to check. Is there something in Apache I should be looking at? I think the caching plugin is doing it's job, but it's like Apache is just struggling to get out the data fast enough for each request.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I'd post in the linode forum (or search there). I think every time apache gets going it has to start up php and that takes cpu+memory, I'm not sure if you could use something like nginx or thttpd to speed things up.

BnT
Mar 10, 2006

Make sure you're recycling connections with keepalives in apache. This will reduce some additional connection ups/teardowns. The following allows for unlimited requests per connection within a 15 second window:

KeepAlive On
MaxKeepAliveRequests 0
KeepAliveTimeout 15

Also, try turning off DNS lookups for your log files. You can handle that later with log analyzers anyway.

HostnameLookups off

I'm no database guy, but I do know that 'SHOW PROCESSLIST;' will give you running queries on a MySQL database, and that might help you with any inefficient queries. Lastly, if you're making profit on this, throw a bit more memory at this. Apache will make nice with caching for you. Also, your machine is actively swapping (although not a lot).

Lastly, if you could post something like this to show how many connections you have in what state, that might be helpful:
code:
netstat -na | egrep 'EST|WAIT|SYN|CLOS' | awk '{print $6}' | sort | uniq -c
Should output something like:
2 ESTABLISHED
1 SYN_SENT

Oh, last edit, I swear. Enable a query cache in /etc/my.cnf (or wherever you keep your mysql config):

code:
query_cache_type = 1
query_cache_limit = 1M
query_cache_size = 16M
^ or try 32M, I have no idea, but a query cache sounds like a great idea for a blog. Disclaimer; I really don't know what the gently caress when it comes to tuning mysql.

BnT fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Sep 6, 2011

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Turn KeepAlive Off, they won't help. They just hold open a thread waiting for new replies. 150 is not very high, but I guess it depends on your specs. Each time somebody connects to the site it needs to connect for each image on there.

Suggestion about wordpress is to install memcache, install memcache php module, install w3 total cache instead of what you have and configure it to use memcache for database, page caching etc.

Download http://mysqltuner.pl and run that to get suggestions about database, but if you cache database in memcache it will bring down load a lot.

ALSO: Also you can disable all plugins and only enable what you need one by one. There may be a particular plugin dragging things down. You can use mytop or 'watch mysqladmin processlist' to keep an eye on queries to see what is going on.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
Thanks a ton for the suggestions! I'm writing a paper right now, but once I'm done, I'm gonna start playing around more with this. I'll respond later tonight.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
Your thumbnailing plugin is either terribly designed or I don't know what the gently caress, because while normal images load instantly, anything thumbnailed by it takes upwards of 30 seconds to appear.

e: If you want, i'll take a look at your box and optimize if necesary (free), nothing else to do on a boring night

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

Biowarfare posted:

Your thumbnailing plugin is either terribly designed or I don't know what the gently caress, because while normal images load instantly, anything thumbnailed by it takes upwards of 30 seconds to appear.

e: If you want, i'll take a look at your box and optimize if necesary (free), nothing else to do on a boring night

If you're really willing to, I'd love some help. Shoot me an email - gcfairch@gmail.com.

KeepAlive is off, HostnameLookups is off. Here's the netstat output:

code:
     2 CLOSE_WAIT
     23 ESTABLISHED
      2 FIN_WAIT2
    110 TIME_WAIT
As for MaxClients, everyone on the Linode forums says that for the Linode 512, MaxClients should never exceed around 20 as 512/20 = 25.6mb per client, and even that is probably too much since it leaves no room for MySQL or any other services. I was still hitting the swap with 15 clients occasionally which is why I dropped it down to 10.

Fangs404 fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Sep 7, 2011

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Wordpress is a bit of a hog, especially when each call to index.php calls the plugins which make their own database calls. Caching database in memcache, apc or even using the disk method in w3 total cache (which requires no server changes) will help. Since your disk I/O doesn't seem to be taking a hit at all, that might work out.

Also adding a CDN like MaxCDN if you can swing it, or give the free cloudflare a try:
http://blog.cloudflare.com/w3-total-cache-w3tc-total-cloudflare-integrat

You can also use ETags to set client side caching.

I'm used to having more memory to work with when I tune these things. We host a few larger blogs, but end up load balancing, or using varnish cache and they have dedicated servers.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
Might be time to switch to nginx - a little bit more elbow grease involved, but shouldn't be hitting as hard as apache.

http://library.linode.com/lemp-guides
http://library.linode.com/web-applications/cms-guides/wordpress

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

ClosedBSD posted:

Might be time to switch to nginx - a little bit more elbow grease involved, but shouldn't be hitting as hard as apache.

http://library.linode.com/lemp-guides
http://library.linode.com/web-applications/cms-guides/wordpress

Yeah, I've been reading about some people suggesting this. I was really hoping I wouldn't have to.

After I restart MySQL or Apache (either one), the site responds really fast for about 30 seconds, and then it resumes responding super slowly. Why would that happen?

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

Fangs404 posted:

Yeah, I've been reading about some people suggesting this. I was really hoping I wouldn't have to.

After I restart MySQL or Apache (either one), the site responds really fast for about 30 seconds, and then it resumes responding super slowly. Why would that happen?

Not exactly sure, but probably has to do with either spawning more workers/processors to deal with requests.

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.
I think I just fixed it! W3 Super Cache with page caching, db caching, and object caching all done with APC seems to have solved the problem! It's using virtually no CPU, and I have 150mb of memory free.

Thanks everyone for the help!

code:
ab -t30 -c5 [url]http://americankpopfans.com/[/url]      
This is ApacheBench, Version 2.3 <$Revision: 655654 $>
Copyright 1996 Adam Twiss, Zeus Technology Ltd, [url]http://www.zeustech.net/[/url]
Licensed to The Apache Software Foundation, [url]http://www.apache.org/[/url]

Benchmarking americankpopfans.com (be patient)
Completed 5000 requests
Finished 9100 requests

Server Software:        Apache/2.2.14
Server Hostname:        americankpopfans.com
Server Port:            80

Document Path:          /
Document Length:        74546 bytes

Concurrency Level:      5
Time taken for tests:   30.005 seconds
Complete requests:      9100
Failed requests:        0
Write errors:           0
Total transferred:      681408215 bytes
HTML transferred:       678368600 bytes
Requests per second:    303.28 [#/sec] (mean)
Time per request:       16.486 [ms] (mean)
Time per request:       3.297 [ms] (mean, across all concurrent requests)
Transfer rate:          22177.66 [Kbytes/sec] received

Connection Times (ms)
              min  mean[+/-sd] median   max
Connect:        0    0   0.1      0       8
Processing:     7   16  56.0     14    2443
Waiting:        4   15  55.3     12    2405
Total:          7   16  56.0     14    2444

Percentage of the requests served within a certain time (ms)
  50%     14
  66%     16
  75%     18
  80%     19
  90%     23
  95%     26
  98%     30
  99%     33
 100%   2444 (longest request)
gently caress yeah.

Fangs404 fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Sep 7, 2011

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
W3 super cache is the bomb. They even have a set of nginx rules if you ever move to that. Caching common mysql queries and other stuff cuts down on cpu, and makes mysql use a lot less memory.

Stuntcock
Oct 15, 2000

Annoyed, but NOT DEAD

DarkLotus posted:

Made2Own isn't a real registrar which means you may have a chance to recover your domain. They likely resell Resellerclub or Enom domains since they easily integrate with the billing system they use, WHMCS.

If your domain hasn't been expired for more than 30 days, your chances are very good. If its beyond that it will start getting tricky soon and it will go into recovery which is expensive to get it out of.

I sent you a PM, I'll try and help you get your domain back.
Made2Own Disaster here.

Clients paying, but no sites.

One's only been expired a few days (domain,) but technically paid for, no replies, no support, and got in client area to unlock and non-renew. Charges will be contested by the bank in 48hours.

Since I will be responsible for the 5000 business cards that client just got with the domain name, I need to find a way to pay someone else for the domain, and have it work again, and find a new, recommended host.

Help? :(

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!

Stuntcock posted:

Made2Own Disaster here.

Clients paying, but no sites.

One's only been expired a few days (domain,) but technically paid for, no replies, no support, and got in client area to unlock and non-renew. Charges will be contested by the bank in 48hours.

Since I will be responsible for the 5000 business cards that client just got with the domain name, I need to find a way to pay someone else for the domain, and have it work again, and find a new, recommended host.

Help? :(

Just replied to your PM, I'll help you as much as I can, at least get you pointed in the right direction.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin
I'm amazed people still use Made2Own. They were a disaster years ago and haven't gotten any better it seems.

Sorry man, I hope you get it worked out.

For anyone else, if you're hosting a 'business' site of any kind, don't use some "Local forum dude" hosting service, that's all Made2Own has ever been.

DarkLotus
Sep 30, 2001

Lithium Hosting
Personal, Reseller & VPS Hosting
30-day no risk Free Trial &
90-days Money Back Guarantee!

DigitalMocking posted:

For anyone else, if you're hosting a 'business' site of any kind, don't use some "Local forum dude" hosting service, that's all Made2Own has ever been.

Don't knock all the Goon run hosts!

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

DarkLotus posted:

I'm not, but I wouldn't put anything that required professional hosting. I use a 'local forum dude' host for my personal site and I'm happy to do so. It seems like for 8 years now its been a constant litany of "This guy is the best..." then "OMG MY DATA AND SITE AND I WAS DOUBLE TRIPLE BILLED" sometime down the road.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

DarkLotus posted:

Yeah, you shouldn't really criticize something you haven't tried. And I sure as hell hope nobody here would make the mistake of trying a goon-run host.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Aleksei Vasiliev posted:

Yeah, you shouldn't really criticize something you haven't tried. And I sure as hell hope nobody here would make the mistake of trying a goon-run host.

Unless you've tried every goon run host, this post is horribly contradicting itself.

eightysixed fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Sep 8, 2011

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

eightysixed posted:

Unless you've tried every goon run host, this post is horribly contradictory of itself.

I think his point was more along the lines of "don't run a business website off a possibly (probably?) fly-by-night provider from a web forum, go with someone established."

Yeah, if you wanna run personal website or some dumb one-off web project off a host that sells packages for $10-$20/year, go ahead, since if they disappear it's probably no huge deal to you. Don't run a client's business website off one, though.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

ClosedBSD posted:

I think his point was more along the lines of "don't run a business website off a possibly (probably?) fly-by-night provider from a web forum, go with someone established."

Well drat. No one goto WebHostingTalk anymore :(

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

eightysixed posted:

Well drat. No one goto WebHostingTalk anymore :(

I'd agree with that :-D, gently caress WHT it's all bullshit anyway

The only host on this forum I'd trust to host a "professional" website is probably Apis... but only because I know they know what they're doing just based on what I've read.

I wouldn't trust my very own (wtfserve) to run something professional with my basic offering. I run everything for my personal/professional sites on clustered and distributed systems. However my basic VPS and vhost packages are built for bandwidth and disk, there is no redundancy and little in terms of backups. In the past when there have been failures I've been able to recover a good amount, that's only because I have the experience to know how to do these things.

Most of the guys who run internet forum hosts have little experience, and almost always very little/no access to fix issues that require console or physical access. I remember providing dedicated boxes to a bunch of these guys years ago and honestly most of them knew very little about what they were doing. They'd constantly do things like remove interfaces and reboot and then wonder why their server wasn't coming back up. Not to mention they would try to get lower prices on already incredibly cheap gear, I'm not sure how their business model works if 20 bucks cheaper per month was going to help them that much.

edit: disclaimer, I also have some really awesome goon customers who run hosting/game server businesses. They're cool guys and I try to do my best to help them when they have issues they don't have access to fix, the know who they are.

ElCondemn fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 8, 2011

Kronok
Sep 19, 2002
I'm looking into getting away from leasing servers to building and colocating my own. I'm currently looking at a 2U with 100Mbps (1200GB bandwidth cap, not 95th) with 1 outlet for $80 a month at a seemingly great datacenter with a ton of redundancy, or I could downgrade to a 1U at $55 a month.

They also quoted me $55 for a 1u with .5Mbps unmetered, but 1200GB at 100Mbps bandwidth sounds a lot better to me. Isn't 1200GB a month about 5Mbps?

Think I could get it lower or is that a pretty awesome price? I'm feeling pretty awesome about it, but I don't want to find out later that it's not so awesome.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Kronok posted:

I'm looking into getting away from leasing servers to building and colocating my own. I'm currently looking at a 2U with 100Mbps (1200GB bandwidth cap, not 95th) with 1 outlet for $80 a month at a seemingly great datacenter with a ton of redundancy, or I could downgrade to a 1U at $55 a month.

They also quoted me $55 for a 1u with .5Mbps unmetered, but 1200GB at 100Mbps bandwidth sounds a lot better to me. Isn't 1200GB a month about 5Mbps?

Think I could get it lower or is that a pretty awesome price? I'm feeling pretty awesome about it, but I don't want to find out later that it's not so awesome.

What are you going to do with it? You might be better off with a VPS.

1200GB on 100mb isn't much. 10mb will do 3 times that, maxed out. So that's like having a 3.3mbs unmetered line.

But in the real world, you won't be using that much data unless you're hosting video or seeding torrents, and having the 100mb burst will be great.

Kronok
Sep 19, 2002

Bob Morales posted:

What are you going to do with it? You might be better off with a VPS.

1200GB on 100mb isn't much. 10mb will do 3 times that, maxed out. So that's like having a 3.3mbs unmetered line.

But in the real world, you won't be using that much data unless you're hosting video or seeding torrents, and having the 100mb burst will be great.

I already have a VPS and a dedicated server, I'm looking to combine them and have a fancy server to play with for game server hosting or whatever. I only use about .5Mbps on average at the moment on my VPS and a smaller amount on my dedicated, but I'm always adding more sites with my job, and I've absolutely destroyed my VPS CPU before with traffic, which ended up costing me a grand (I'm an affiliate marketer and I pay for traffic).

I also plan to launch a site soon that needs to generate some CPU intensive stuff, so this is why I decided it's time to buy my own server.

Basically, my main issue has been hardware, not bandwidth, so I feel like if I had a 3.3Mbps unmetered line, I'd be happy, but 3.3Mbps seems to be a lot more expensive than just asking them for 1200GB bandwidth. I peak to 4-5Mbps here and there, but it's .5Mbps on average, so I think I'd be fine for awhile.

So, how's that $80 price sounding to you?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Kronok posted:

Basically, my main issue has been hardware, not bandwidth, so I feel like if I had a 3.3Mbps unmetered line, I'd be happy, but 3.3Mbps seems to be a lot more expensive than just asking them for 1200GB bandwidth. I peak to 4-5Mbps here and there, but it's .5Mbps on average, so I think I'd be fine for awhile.

So, how's that $80 price sounding to you?

Depends on how much hardware you need.

Unmeteredservers.com has a quad-core Xeon with 10mbs unmetered for $89.99, and for $80 more a month you can upgrade to 100mbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Kronok posted:

You can get 1U/100mbit/5000GB from Burst.net for $70.

http://nocster.com/colocate.shtml

less than three fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Sep 9, 2011