Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Fayez Butts posted:

Anything related to imageshack is banned from SA for trying to advertise through the images or some poo poo
SAclopedia is your friend!

SAclopedia posted:

Lowtax has posted in QCS that image**** was/is blocked "because MacBeth admitted using the SA Forums to advertise his stupid image hosting site for months upon months, if not years. He would regularly post 'updates' in GBS which served as nothing but blatant advertisements for his for-profit service. I don't appreciate companies using our forum members to unwittingly virally advertise their products, and if I discover any company trying to covertly advertise their poo poo through the forums, you'd better believe I'm going to block them."

Users with platinum can attach images to posts- this is the best way to attach images, as it's hosted on the SA servers and won't be lost when the image hosting service fails (as all previous hosting services have eventually done). Going through goldmined threads where most of the pictures are missing really makes you appreciate this!

http://imgur.com/ is probably the next best way right now.

grover fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Sep 5, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

grover posted:

http://imgur.com/ is probably the next best way right now.

I use Tinypic http://tinypic.com/

Its fast and pain free to use. I do miss waffleimages....

ON TOPIC:

One of these things is not like the other...and none of them was content with being normal correct connecting rods. They wanted to be pretty pretty butterflies

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Sep 5, 2011

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
Don't use tinypic. they delete images that pull "too much" bandwidth, or just things they don't like.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

CommieGIR posted:

One of these things is not like the other...and none of them was content with being normal correct connecting rods. They wanted to be pretty pretty butterflies

Jesus what did you do? Drive into a lake?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Bondematt posted:

Jesus what did you do? Drive into a lake?

Not mine, someone I knew.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

CommieGIR posted:

Not mine, someone I knew.

Jesus what did they do? Drive into a lake?

MisterSparkle
Jan 16, 2004
banishes dirt to the land of wind and ghosts

atomicthumbs posted:

Jesus what did they do? Drive into a lake?

Not a lake, a different body of water.

MisterSparkle fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Sep 6, 2011

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

MisterSparkle posted:

Not a lake, a different body of water.

Jesus what did they do? Drive into Irene?

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
Did the tow-truck cause that?

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

I hope he got the insurance with that truck rental.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea

The Scientist posted:

Did the tow-truck cause that?

No, I think it was just there to drag it away, somehow.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I never knew trucks like that had such articulation.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

toplitzin posted:

Jesus what did they do? Drive into Irene?

Automotive Insanity > Post Pictures of Jesus what did you do?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Automotive Insanity > Post Pictures of Jesus what did you do?

I'm trying to imagine how fast it was spinning that it hosed up all four connecting rods, instead of breaking one and stopping :psyduck:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

meatpimp posted:

I never knew trucks like that had such articulation.
Can you actually get an RTI score of ∞?

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

FILTHY CASUAL | CONSOLE PEASANT

[My hosting]

I think I found the problem with my steering! More a previous owner drunk-driving into a curb failure than anything, but still pretty dramatic. It's the new / old inner tie rods from my Saab 900.

ACEofsnett fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 7, 2011

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
oops

Slack Motherfucker
Aug 16, 2005

Pillbug

Chinatown posted:

oops

What in the gently caress? :catstare:

quazi
Apr 19, 2002

data control
Book of Trucks 3:16 - "And so shall the truck defy gravity and make a spectacle for all who pass by."

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Slack Motherfucker posted:

What in the gently caress? :catstare:

Dude, that's like 1,400 points in Tony Hawk. Totally nailed the trick at the end of the uphill grind.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
Happened today.

MSNBC posted:

The operator of the crane was inside the cab at the base when the accident happened. Authorities said immediately before it flipped, the crane's arm, extended approximately 550 feet, had just deposited material on the Cathedral roof. While rotating, the equipment's balance upset, and the crane came crashing down into an area between the roadway and the church itself.
No serious injuries or damage to the National Cathedral, but 500' cranes are pretty damned big, and it crushed a building and a couple cars when it toppled.

grover fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Sep 7, 2011

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
I still find it amazing it didn't destroy the entire damned church or kill anyone. They really lucked the gently caress out. Last big crane accident I remember is the Miller Park one that ended very badly.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

I wish it had taken out that godawful truck.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

Geirskogul posted:

Dude, that's like 1,400 points in Tony Hawk. Totally nailed the tricktruck at the end of the uphill grind.

Fixed.

niggerstink420
Aug 7, 2009

by T. Fine

c355n4 posted:

I wish it had taken out that godawful truck.

I am really ashamed to have grown up in NY after seeing that abortion.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

ACEofsnett posted:

[My hosting]

I think I found the problem with my steering! More a previous owner drunk-driving into a curb failure than anything, but still pretty dramatic. It's the new / old inner tie rods from my Saab 900.

How did this not destroy other things?

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

ACEofsnett posted:

Don't put metal parts on your battery, especially since you don't have any cap over the positive terminal. :ohdear:

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

oxbrain posted:

Don't put metal parts on your battery, especially since you don't have any cap over the positive terminal. :ohdear:

No kidding, I thought that was what the horrible failure was supposed to be. :stare:

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

oxbrain posted:

especially since you don't have any cap over the positive terminal. :ohdear:

Does frictape count?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

oxbrain posted:

Surprise welding is almost as fun as surprise buttsex.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
My dad told me about a guy in Navy Electrician's school who used to take a piece of copper cable and short out a battery until it was glowing red hot and then stick his face right down into it and light his cigarette.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

The Scientist posted:

My dad told me about a guy in Navy Electrician's school who used to take a piece of copper cable and short out a battery until it was glowing red hot and then stick his face right down into it and light his cigarette.

Something tells me you're a nonsmoker.

:clint:

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

The Scientist posted:

This is pretty much what a car lighter is except it has an electrical and heat fuse.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Muffinpox posted:

This is pretty much what a car lighter is except it has an electrical and heat fuse.

Except, the battery can't blow up into your face when you use it. This is important.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
No, I'm a smoker, and I know what its like to need a light, but if it can light a cigarette presumably it could ignite some escaping hydrogen gas :cry:

Also the cigarette lighter is fused, which anyone who tries to install an over-rated stereo and speakers will find out the hard way (several times [me]).

My dad also told me about his friend at NASA who was jump-starting his car and the battery exploded (for that reason) and he lost an eye. Full of lessons, that guy. Love learning stuff from my dad. So that's why, to this day, I always make sure those little maintenance vent things are on tight, and that the battery isn't bulging, and attach the negative jumper cable lead to the frame. When a wet cell battery produces a lot of current, a byproduct of the electrolyte's reaction with the lead cells is hydrogen.

whose tuggin fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Sep 8, 2011

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Brain Issues posted:

Except, the battery can't blow up into your face when you use it. This is important.

Sorry, I meant that as a joke rather than statement.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

The Scientist posted:

Back in high school, the clutch cable on my friend's Rabbit lets go, so we're in second gear. Pull into a parking lot and we're trying to splice the cable back together with some baling wire he has in the back seat. He drops a scrap of it and it lands between the terminal and the frame.

The wire just...vaporized. Not sudden like a flash gun or anything, you could see the galvanized coating bubble off as the wire went to a white heat. We ran like hell, because we were 16 and figured that battery hydrogen would explode and turn the car into a flaming wreck. A few minutes later with no explosion, we went back to the car and the wire was gone.

DJ Commie posted:

Charging a battery creates hydrogen, not discharging!

Like I said, we were 16, we just knew that hydrogen was probably involved somewhere.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Sep 8, 2011

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
Charging a battery creates hydrogen, not discharging!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JD Brickmeister
Sep 4, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Brain Issues posted:

The battery in my Escalade made a "POP" sound, kind of like a dud firecracker when I tried to start it, then everything went dead. Opened up the hood and there was battery acid sprayed inside and the battery itself had split a little.

Lesson - this kind of poo poo happens with sealed batteries - something I did not know.