Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
All of CA's stuff is also up at nyaa.eu, just search 'central anime' and grab the season batches.

\/\/\/ ah, I'd seen them releasing different rips of the show, tying to get a visual upgrade from the old laser discs. If that's the case it may be time for me to refresh my collection as well. I still need to finish those pesky gaidens...

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Sep 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Takes No Damage posted:

All of CA's stuff is also up at nyaa.eu, just search 'central anime' and grab the season batches.

Sadly, a couple of the updated episodes aren't available from their torrents, just their IRC bots. The BBT torrent has them for you.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

AzraelNewtype posted:

Sadly, a couple of the updated episodes aren't available from their torrents, just their IRC bots. The BBT torrent has them for you.

Odd, that link worked perfectly. I didn't get a page telling me to register.

Thanks!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Wade Wilson posted:

Odd, that link worked perfectly. I didn't get a page telling me to register.

Thanks!

Yes, you can go directly to the page for a torrent with no login, you just can't search.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Pandub posted:

Yeah I started to catch on that Seig might be having the hots for the sister, but still he gave those long looks to Reinhard....so it had me thinking some rather twisted thoughts along the lines of, "Well, he does look like his sister, maybe he is projecting his affection for her onto him"...

Watching episode 7 now...just saw the Rosen-Ritter do their thing. They are the badass SEAL types. A group of 3 or 4 taking out 50 enemy? "We are the Rosen-Ritter! You're no match for us." Oh yeah, that's how you walk into a room! I hope to see more of these guys.

They get REALLY badass later on. Theres a loving reason the empire is terrified of them.

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
So I finished season 1 and wow!

Impressions (contains heavy season 1 spoilers...avoid if you have not seen season 1 completely):
First off I gotta address the big death. Seig losing his life in Rein's defense was stunning, and honestly I didn't expect him to die. First he takes a space bullet (laser?) in the shoulder...no biggie this is the future put some space gel on it...then he takes it in the neck....that was when I started to realize that this might not end well. I kept hoping for super space medics to save him with space magic medicine...but no...Sieg dies.

His death was surprisngly moving for me. It was then that I realized that the character who started off for me as a gay joke had really developed into the character from the Empire I liked the most. I still can't believe he is gone. I worry about Rein now since he has lost his other half...the half that kept him grounded to his true motivations.

Oh, and that assassin is soooooo fail. How do you miss from 10 yards with what amounts to a space bazooka....that was hilarious.

Also Empire related...Rien's sister seems to be an empty shell of a character with no purpose to the series. She should have died instead. Given how promenently she is featured in the opening title and how central she is to Rein's initial motivations, her lack of character development is disappointing.

Now we come to my favorite part of the series...the Alliance! Yang and the 13th fleet are great and I find myself looking forward to the episodes that are FPA focused. I just find the story of what is happening in that end of the galaxy far more entertaining as a whole. (Although the Empire did have the stronger civil war story arc.) There just seems to be much more at play over there from policital schemes to the coup etc.

Yang...Yang is the best. So brilliant yet so casual about it...he is EASILY my favorite character in the series. MORE YANG! Which reminds me of the end of an episode where Seig meets Yang for the POW exchange and at the end, both Yang and Rein express the desire to meet eachother in person. I doubt something like that will happen given their respective roles, but wow that would be an awesome scene!

There is so much more I am leaving out from S1 that I couls go on forever about, but I will spare you. I will close with my initial impressions of the first couple episodes of season 2. Julian as a fighter pilot...great use of the character. I was so nice to see those epic space battles from the seat of a fighter pilot and I can't wait for more of that. However Julian has some bad voodoo about him...every ship he launched out of so far was destroyed mere moments after his launch...yikes!

Well that will do it for my drooling over the series....for now. I am enjoying the ride!

PyPy fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Sep 8, 2011

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Pandub posted:

A way to look at Annerose: She "sacrificed" herself and became the Kaiser's consort so that Reinhard would have a life. Reinhard in turn took the life she gave him and devoted it towards "rescuing her" by conquering the entire Empire. For her sake, he has killed millions of people. And at the same time, she fell for Kircheis, the young boy she convinced to protect Reinhard... who then went and sacrificed himself to protect Reinhard's, largely because of her.

Basically, Reinhard's predominant motivation and ethos early on were driven by childhood ambitions that motivated him into adulthood. Annerose herself continues to hold onto a sort of "pure" ethos; she clearly is a very passive and peaceful person. She sought only peaceful resolutions; that's why she and Sieg got along so well. On the other hand, Reinhard has basically went on a bloody crusade for her sake, and he's basically asking her to be happy with it. And... she isn't.

I think it's safe to say Annerose is basically tortured by being incidentally responsible for the death of millions, even if the cause (overthrowing the nobles) was largely a good one for the populace, as well as particularly Sieg what since she and he were kind of crushing on each other.

She's kind of tortured and broken now. If it makes you feel any better, her appearances in the series from now on will be very rare, except for an occasional important instances here and there, and towards the end. She secludes herself from the world.

Of course, at the same time, Reinhard's personality is undergoing a major shift as well. His "positive influences" are largely gone. Joviality is now essentially non-existent for the man.

Zorak fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Sep 8, 2011

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Zorak posted:

Of course, at the same time, Reinhard's personality is undergoing a major shift as well. His "positive influences" are largely gone. Joviality is now essentially non-existent for the man.

It's kind of creepy how Reinhard becomes less and less of a human being as time goes on. He clearly thinks of himself as a man with a man's feelings but nobody else will treat him that way at all. The episode where he goes to see Count Mariendorf to ask permission to marry Hilda is the most depressing because both their reactions to his proposal are just "what are we going to do the kaiser is being very unprofessional"

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
It seems to me that after season 1 Reinhard deals with Siegfried's death by conquering the stars in his name. If not for him, Siegfried would have been happy and still alive, probably as a school teacher, inspiring and helping hundreds of kids to have a better life. In exchange for Siegfried's life, Reinhard become's more focused and more aggressive because he has to make the most of his opportunities.

I don't think he beomces less and less of a human. He's still quite young and he has a lot of responsibility to handle even though he's portrayed as some kind of Übermensch. It's not like there's anyone who can teach or instruct him on how to deal with people and social settings. His skill is in choosing talented and loyal men to serve him in military and government matters, it's not like he can go to Reuenthal or Mittermeyer for advice.

As for Annerose, she kind of just gives up on it all. I got the impression that the former Kaiser wasn't actually that bad a guy. While Reinhard hates the man, he seemed incredibly reasonable and was happy to help Reinhard build his power base to take over. Now that the Kaiser and Siegfried are dead and her brother is lost to her, what else is left for her to do? To avoid being a target for her brother enemies, she chooses to retire.

I always found Yang to be bit of a hypocrite. He's the one who actually lead a successful coup against the government despite holding onto the principles of democracy.

Kircheis
Aug 14, 2007
In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
The flurry of recent posts has inspired me to start re-watching the series, since the last time I did so, CA hadn't quite finished, so I've still never seen the last few episodes, and I haven't watched the Gaidens.

So the question is - do I watch them all in production order, or should I try to watch them in chronological order?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Legend_of_the_Galactic_Heroes_episodes#Chronological_order_of_episodes

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Kircheis posted:

The flurry of recent posts has inspired me to start re-watching the series, since the last time I did so, CA hadn't quite finished, so I've still never seen the last few episodes, and I haven't watched the Gaidens.

So the question is - do I watch them all in production order, or should I try to watch them in chronological order?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Legend_of_the_Galactic_Heroes_episodes#Chronological_order_of_episodes

I would skip Gaiden because they are boring and drawn out

:goonsay:

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
While the gaidens are obviously inferior to the main series, in all fairness what isn't :v:

I think they're worth watching but they're meant to be viewed after season 4. They assume prior knowledge all the characters.

Next time I rewatch I'll probably go:
* Overture to a New Battle
* Episodes 003-110
* Gaidens

To the earlier sci-fi discussion, the only part of the series that really went full Star Trek for me was (season4) Rubinsky's brainbomb. There was no precedent for anything like that in the series and took me right out of things for a minute. Other than that bit everything else seemed fairly physically realistic.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Takes No Damage posted:

To the earlier sci-fi discussion, the only part of the series that really went full Star Trek for me was (season4) Rubinsky's brainbomb. There was no precedent for anything like that in the series and took me right out of things for a minute. Other than that bit everything else seemed fairly physically realistic.

I bet if someone really wanted to and had the cash, they could probably rig up something similar to that right now in the present.

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Sep 8, 2011

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It just seemed to elevate him to 'cartoon supervillain' levels of evil. I felt the tone (or maybe just the execution) was different than the rest of the series.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Takes No Damage posted:

It just seemed to elevate him to 'cartoon supervillain' levels of evil. I felt the tone (or maybe just the execution) was different than the rest of the series.

Yeah that was kind of dorky. Rubinsky and the depiction of the terraists were the weak point of the series, even if some of the concepts are sound. The idea that Yang holds that terrorism cannot shape history is highlighted pretty boldly by the show as one of his most obvious mistakes and it's powerful. It's just a shame that it had to be done be dehumanized cartoon cultists, and not people who had been whipped into a frenzy

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
I'm only halfway through series 1 and this show is actually amazing. I saw Space Cesar coming from miles away, but everything else so far is just great. I'm even actually consciously avoiding spoilers for the first time ever, that's how good it is. I can't believe I've put this off for so long.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I would highly, highly recommend avoiding the thread til you are done. Also, the episode titles (which are often revealed at the end of the episode for ironic or dramatic purposes, and can gently caress things up if you read them ahead of time).

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Indeed, no one who watched that one Next Episode preview and got THAT THING spoiled for them ever forgets it :( Get in the habit of avoiding the previews now.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Hell, I avoided the next episode previews and still had things spoiled, because of that loving NARRATOR!

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
I learned that lesson the hard way ages ago, goodbye previews and goodbye thread, I will return when I am done.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah there's at least one point where he's all "And that was the last time they ever saw one another" CREDITS. I can only guess they assumed anyone watching the OVAs was already a fan of the novels.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The narrator is omniscient. He's supposed to know, and that's who you are supposed to hear it from.

Ep previews are designed to be spoilery.

But places that identify the episodes by ep name are bad, especially when the spoilers are in the title. Youtube is particularly bad about this.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Captain Invictus posted:

Hell, I avoided the next episode previews and still had things spoiled, because of that loving NARRATOR!

Hello twists aren't the sign of good writing. Foreshadowing is, on the other hand, a very effective narrative technique, even if it's right there in your face.

It managed to build your dread leading up to that episode, did it not? :v:

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Zorak posted:

Hello twists aren't the sign of good writing. Foreshadowing is, on the other hand, a very effective narrative technique, even if it's right there in your face.

Didn't you hear Zorak? they got M. Night Shyamalan to direct a live action adaptation of Legend of Galactic Heroes. The twist is that Reinhard was actually his sister all along.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Didn't you hear Zorak? they got M. Night Shyamalan to direct a live action adaptation of Legend of Galactic Heroes. The twist is that Reinhard was actually his sister all along.

Yang never actually existed, Reinhard was just incompetent!

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

Wade Wilson posted:

Call me crazy but that's really not a bad idea for a plot twist. Well, for LoGH it'd be silly but as an idea on its own it could be an interesting story.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Popo posted:

Call me crazy but that's really not a bad idea for a plot twist. Well, for LoGH it'd be silly but as an idea on its own it could be an interesting story.

Wanna see a remake of LOGH with Oberstein as unreliable narrator

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Zorak posted:

When the narrator says something along the lines of "I wonder if he would have done things differently if he knew what would happen", that was good foreshadowing. It doesn't outright say what is about to happen, but you got this sense that something very, very bad was going to occur. But then I believe one episode later he basically says YANG DIES NEXT EPISODE WOO WOO! before the credits roll.

That's the part I take issue with. The first was done well, and gave you a sense of dread. The second was just telling you flat out so you knew exactly what was going to happen.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

That's the part I take issue with. The first was done well, and gave you a sense of dread. The second was just telling you flat out so you knew exactly what was going to happen.

I still fail to see the problem with this.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
People have different feelings on what they want out of a show I guess!

For me, I would have preferred not knowing exactly what the bad thing was until the episode it happened, rather than the narrator blurting it out in the previous episode. Different strokes.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Sep 9, 2011

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
THe Narrator never says that? He says it in a next episode preview (which you shouldn't be watching). All he says in episode once was THIS WAS THE LAST TIME JULIAN AND YANG EVER SPOKE

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Under 15 posted:

Wanna see a remake of LOGH with Oberstein as unreliable narrator

That is the last adjective I would ever associate with Oberstein.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Wade Wilson posted:

Holy poo poo, I am totally rewatching the series with this concept in mind.

Also, in Gaiden, why are R/K fighting tanks in the montage in episode 2? They're fleet officers. That should preclude them from ever fighting against or near tanks.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

ChaosSamusX posted:

Holy poo poo, I am totally rewatching the series with this concept in mind.

Also, in Gaiden, why are R/K fighting tanks in the montage in episode 2? They're fleet officers. That should preclude them from ever fighting against or near tanks.

That is one thing about the gaiden episodes that is rather silly: Our dynamic duo constantly switches between different service branches. First they drive a scout vehicle in the ground forces, then navigator/security officer on a destroyer, a stint as military police investigators, then a cruiser captaincy for Reinhard, plus he personally dons power armour, leads an assault on a ground base and captures the commander when he is a commodore in charge of a flotilla of 100 vessels.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I take it to be standard practice for Admirals in the future to grab their tomahawks and go all Rambo on some land lubbing motherfuckers, see: Reuenthal and Mittermeyer, peasants that keep coming and something something about growing piles of corpses :wotwot:

e: Star Trek should take a page from LoGH and add some axes to the usual mix of awkward close combat scenes. It could only improve things.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pimpmust posted:

e: Star Trek should take a page from LoGH and add some axes to the usual mix of awkward close combat scenes. It could only improve things.

Federation Melee Fighting 101:

Rolling Around And Tearing Your Shirt
The Double-Handed Fist Strike
Grapplin'
Palm Strike To The Bridge Of The Nose
AXE TO THE MOTHERFUCKING CHEST

Jayisspecial
Sep 16, 2006

Therock Obama
This may have been asked many times before, but I don't see it in the OP so I'll risk the fire. I downloaded the movies and some of season one from the OP's post, but none of them are subtitled. How is this supposed to work exactly? I'd really like to give this series a try.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Jayisspecial posted:

This may have been asked many times before, but I don't see it in the OP so I'll risk the fire. I downloaded the movies and some of season one from the OP's post, but none of them are subtitled. How is this supposed to work exactly? I'd really like to give this series a try.

They're all subtitled, how are you trying to watch these?

Jayisspecial
Sep 16, 2006

Therock Obama
Oh, nevermind. technology has gotten ahead of me, and I found it by playing around. Well, I found it in Divx. Post conversion into WM4, they no longer come up when turned on.

Jayisspecial fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Sep 12, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Jayisspecial posted:

Oh, nevermind. technology has gotten ahead of me, and I found it by playing around. Well, I found it in Divx. Post conversion into WM4, they no longer come up when turned on.

Just download this.

http://www.cccp-project.net/