Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

It doesn't work, and I'll probably just gut it and make an aquarium out of it or something.

I bet you don't even own any fish

:coolfish:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Really, I'm not going to buy it. I just have to keep telling myself that.
You know you want to... (especially since black MacBooks in that condition will only become more and more rare).

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

hellzno posted:

last year's i7 27" iMac for ~$1,500 (after tax).

Do keep in mind that the sandy bridge stuff is quite a bit faster than last year's model, if you're doing heavy lifting.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

cstine posted:

Do keep in mind that the sandy bridge stuff is quite a bit faster than last year's model, if you're doing heavy lifting.
The i5 Lynnfield quad is still plenty fast for most applications. Mine doesn't skip a beat while processing thousands of 18MP RAW files or basic 1080p editing. Unless you're doing Final Cut or 3D rendering, I wouldn't worry too much about the Lynnfield vs. Sandy Bridge argument for a desktop. Mobile on the other hand...

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

SourKraut posted:

So are the other systems you pick up/show interest in mainly for collection purposes? I know I still sometimes go looking for older Macs solely so I can have them.

Every couple months I get the urge to pick up an iMac G3 on eBay just to gently caress around with - though by the time you throw in shipping, an Airport card and a copy of Puma or Jaguar, it gets less and less worth it. That said, they're kind of at a sweet spot right now where they're not old enough to be antiques, but they are old enough to be cheap as poo poo (at least for the iMac itself).

While we're at it, I'd also fancy a G4 Cube and a Newton someday.

Anyone else have any particular Macs they lust after?

(Also, in case anyone hasn't' seen it, this site is pretty awesome for nostalgia trips)

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

The i5 Lynnfield quad is still plenty fast for most applications. Mine doesn't skip a beat while processing thousands of 18MP RAW files or basic 1080p editing. Unless you're doing Final Cut or 3D rendering, I wouldn't worry too much about the Lynnfield vs. Sandy Bridge argument for a desktop. Mobile on the other hand...

Well he didn't explicitly say what he was doing on the desktop, so i figured it was worth a mention, especially as a new i5 will compare very favorably to last year's i7, even besting it in some cases.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I bought a Cube in 2005 because I thought they were the coolest. Realized they sucked and sold it a month later.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

I bought a Cube in 2005 because I thought they were the coolest. Realized they sucked and sold it a month later.
I still have two of the original LCD Studio Displays that I'd love to put with a G4 Cube.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

The graphite color plastic means you're a Pro User. :coal:

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Space Racist posted:

I definitely want to pick up a G4 Cube someday. I also want to pick up an iMac G4 one of these days just to put on a table as a decoration or such.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Space Racist posted:

Love me some pizzabox computers.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Space Racist posted:

(Also, in case anyone hasn't' seen it, this site is pretty awesome for nostalgia trips)
Cube is probably the only one I'd really have an interest in, but only to gut it and hack some newer parts into It really, perhaps to make a real HTPC instead of what I just set up recently: my previous Mac mini + USB TV tuner + bare external drive hooked up with external enclosure parts...running Windows 7/Media Center. Of course I'd likely be better off just getting some small PC enclosure and parts meant for it rather than failing horribly at hacking up a Cube case.

And not so much for nostalgia but Folklore.org is pretty interesting, it's basically a collection of stories from Apple employees during the creation of the original Mac. Apparently they were big on 'staches :coal:.

Cmdr Will Riker
Mar 27, 2003

Space Racist posted:

Every couple months I get the urge to pick up an iMac G3 on eBay just to gently caress around with - though by the time you throw in shipping, an Airport card and a copy of Puma or Jaguar, it gets less and less worth it. That said, they're kind of at a sweet spot right now where they're not old enough to be antiques, but they are old enough to be cheap as poo poo (at least for the iMac itself).

Money/space/terrible computer issues aside, I'd totally rock a 20th Anniversary Mac given the opportunity.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
I'm trying to run down my MacBook Air battery and it's taking forever...

I'm now in my last 5%, and it seems like the performance has dropped significantly. Does it scale back the CPU when the battery is super low or something? Or is it all in my head or just a coincidence?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

SourKraut posted:

You know you want to... (especially since black MacBooks in that condition will only become more and more rare).

I've tried to put mine on sale ever since the Air came in......and I just. can't. bring. myself. to.....do it.

-File server/GIMP machine/remote disk drive for the Air it is, then.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I hate the G3 iMac with a passion.

Wasn't loading the eMac up with RAM and a big HD the hot ticket at one point? I remember some article...

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

brc64 posted:

I'm trying to run down my MacBook Air battery and it's taking forever...

I'm now in my last 5%, and it seems like the performance has dropped significantly. Does it scale back the CPU when the battery is super low or something? Or is it all in my head or just a coincidence?

I'm fairly certain they scale back CPU and RAM.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Cmdr Will Riker posted:

Money/space/terrible computer issues aside, I'd totally rock a 20th Anniversary Mac given the opportunity.

That one always felt sort of 'wrong' to me (perhaps influenced by the fact it was one of the last Macs designed before Steve returned) - its performance was on par with other Macs and yet cost nearly $10,000 for some reason (including ridiculous concierge delivery), plus with the flat CD disc tray, tiny LCD and included speakers it looks more like a stereo from the Sharper Image than a personal computer.

Still, definitely a curiosity and worth snatching up if you can find for a reasonable price.

e: apparently it debuted at $7500, not $9000, but still.

The Illusive Man fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Sep 9, 2011

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I've tried to put mine on sale ever since the Air came in......and I just. can't. bring. myself. to.....do it.
And you never should. :P

Unrelated: So what's the general consensus on Monoprice's Mini-DP to DP cables? I thought I remembered reading once where some people mentioned it's touch-and-go as to whether they work properly. I have a DP-compatible monitor and would love to get the 3ft cable for when I'm at home and wanting to connect the MBP.

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem
I recently bought a Macbook Pro. When should I activate my AppleCare?

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
Short answer: Now.

Long answer: The extended AppleCare can be purchased and activated before the MBP's 1 year AppleCare expires. You get the most value of the extended AppleCare if you activate it with your MBP purchase.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

wolffenstein posted:

You get the most value of the extended AppleCare if you activate it with your MBP purchase.
I'm not quite sure how this is true. The extended AppleCare is just that - an extension. Thus, whether it's bought on Day 1 or Day 365, until Day 366, a person is covered by the stock 1-year AppleCare warranty and thus the 2-year extension offers no immediate benefit. The only way I think it's "beneficial" is via peace-of-mind in knowing you won't forget to get it, but even then a) just make a calendar appointment for one year from purchase, and b) Apple has proven more than forgiving if people slip a few days past their purchase date due to forgetting (not that I'd want to rely upon their continued lenience).

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

SourKraut posted:

I'm not quite sure how this is true. The extended AppleCare is just that - an extension.

This is completely true. Activate it now.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Nitr0 posted:

I'm sorry, you're going to need to explain a little more than that. I'm not saying that he shouldn't get the two year extension - he definitely should. However, I don't see why it must be done RIGHT NOW. He has a full 365 days from the day of purchase to get the AppleCare extension, and whether he activates the extension now or on day 365, it makes absolutely no difference.

Unless there's some Magic Awesomeness™ I'm not recognizing.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Isn't the only difference something like phone support past 90 days?

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

SourKraut posted:

The extended AppleCare is just that - an extension. Thus, whether it's bought on Day 1 or Day 365, until Day 366, a person is covered by the stock 1-year AppleCare warranty and thus the 2-year extension offers no immediate benefit.

I'm sorry, you're going to need to explain a little more than that. I'm not saying that he shouldn't get the two year extension - he definitely should. However, I don't see why it must be done RIGHT NOW. He has a full 365 days from the day of purchase to get the AppleCare extension, and whether he activates the extension now or on day 365, it makes absolutely no difference.

Actually it does. The default warranty only provides for 90 days of phone support in addition to the one year of hardware support. AppleCare extends both to three years.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Space Racist posted:

That one always felt sort of 'wrong' to me (perhaps influenced by the fact it was one of the last Macs designed before Steve returned) - its performance was on par with other Macs and yet cost nearly $10,000 for some reason (including ridiculous concierge delivery), plus with the flat CD disc tray, tiny LCD and included speakers it looks more like a stereo from the Sharper Image than a personal computer.

Still, definitely a curiosity and worth snatching up if you can find for a reasonable price.

e: apparently it debuted at $7500, not $9000, but still.

The LCD alone was probably half the price.

take boat
Jul 8, 2006
boat: TAKEN

Nitr0 posted:

If you wait until the very end, it's as if Apple gave you a one year, $350 interest-free loan!

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Wasn't loading the eMac up with RAM and a big HD the hot ticket at one point? I remember some article...

The 2006 G4 eMac is so extremely capable for < $100. There are still schools in the burbs getting rid of them in GA. While I was saving up for a 27" iMac I sold all of my PCs and set out to self-inflict with one such eMac to get used to OS X full time. 2GB of RAM, a 500GB EIDE drive and somewhat respectable ATi graphics paired with a VGA adapter & 24" monitor made swift use of Maya 8.5 and Cinema 4D 10 whose PPC versions ran just fine on Leopard. I miss it, but not the CRT or the HD flash video performance.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

take boat posted:

If you wait until the very end, it's as if Apple gave you a one year, $350 interest-free loan!

If you're going to buy it anyways it doesn't matter if you buy it now or in a year.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Space Racist posted:

I want an SE/30 so bad.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

SourKraut posted:

It's an investment! :v:

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Space Racist posted:

Mac LC III. No, it's nowhere as cool as a G4 Cube or a TAM or, hell, anything, but it wormed its way into my heart when I took my first actual programming class.

I own an original Newton Message Pad (complete with the leather case!), and it's badass. There are Newton OS features from 1993 that Palm and smartphones didn't have a decade later. The OMP feels kind of clunky today (especially the mediocre but serviceable handwriting recognizer), but there's a lot of crazy future technology packed in there.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Molten Llama posted:

Mac LC III. No, it's nowhere as cool as a G4 Cube or a TAM or, hell, anything, but it wormed its way into my heart when I took my first actual programming class.

We had LC II's with Word, Excel, and some sort of graphing package on them (made cool colorful maps from our data) in 7th grade. 4 years later in 'programming class' we had LC III's, 6 whopping megs of RAM and the Think C compiler. In a 55 minute class you'd be lucky to get about 8 compile-run sessions in. Slow pieces of crap. I'd rather have had an army of 486's (386's even) with Turbo C.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Are there any thunderbolt external hard drives worth the purchase yet? I need a replacement for my Time Machine backup drive and I figured it's time to move on up.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro

SourKraut posted:

Unless there's some Magic Awesomeness™ I'm not recognizing.
There's the human factor: you're not likely going to remember to buy extended AppleCare six, nine, or eleven months from now.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

wolffenstein posted:

There's the human factor: you're not likely going to remember to buy extended AppleCare six, nine, or eleven months from now.
This is true, and Apple is notoriously crazy about not activating AppleCare if you buy it even a day past the limited warranty period. I only saw it done once or twice in the five years I worked there.

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed

wolffenstein posted:

This is why you set an iCal appointment right after first booting son.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Accipiter posted:

Actually it does. The default warranty only provides for 90 days of phone support in addition to the one year of hardware support. AppleCare extends both to three years.
Forgot about the phone support issue. If someone doesn't have an Apple store readily available, then yeah, it'd probably definitely be worth it.

Thankfully I have three Apple stores within 15 minutes of where I live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Fren posted:

Are there any thunderbolt external hard drives worth the purchase yet? I need a replacement for my Time Machine backup drive and I figured it's time to move on up.
The only ones out are the ~$1000 Promise RAIDs I think...for what they are they might be worth it but they'd be overkill for TM of course.

There's a few others announced but nothing is shipping yet, and even if they were they all seem to be aiming at the higher end to start. The only other shipping things I know of are the TB Display (just shipping now I think) and maybe Sonnet's ExpressCard adapter for $150 (cable sold separately!).