Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Names are difficult decision for sure, but it's your kid. It won't even matter a few months after the kid is born. I really wanted to name my daughter Elizabeth, but my wife's best friend named her kid who was born 3 months before us Elizabeth (and she even knew we wanted that name), but I look at my daughter now and there's no way she could be anything but a Lauren. I know that doesn't make sense... but it does.

I personally tend to favor traditional names for some unknown reason. My daughter is Lauren Elizabeth, and we're deciding if the new little one is going to be Eric Michael or Alexander Michael

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Sep 8, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

I don't know why people feel the need to be utter dickholes about names. My mother hates everything we love; I just told her that she's welcome to have another kid if she's so stuck on having a say on the name.

Mangue
Aug 3, 2007
Naming a future child IS hard. I feel the only important thing is that the mom and dad agree. Who cares what everyone else thinks. My best friend is due any day now and I absolutely hate the name she and her husband have chosen for their daughter. BUT. My opinion doesn't matter and I have never told them what I really thought. It's their kid and their decision. I don't really get why friends/parents can't see that.

The only issue I'm really having with naming now is the fact that I don't really want to tell anyone the name before the baby is born. Not even the parents. My husband said he won't outright tell anyone but if his parents ask, he will tell them. I don't know why he insists because I KNOW they will ask at some point. He wants to know the sex, he wanted to get the NT ultrasound done, he basically wants to know everything he can about this kid before its born. The ONE thing I want to keep a secret and keep to ourselves is the name. Anyone have any good arguments to convince him not to tell his parents the name when they ask?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

We didn't mind giving out the name as a lot of folks wanted to get us embroidered gifts and stuff, but if it's important to you, explain how you feel to your husband. Hopefully he'll respect your wishes.

You could always just tell everyone the name is 'Cletus the Fetus' which is what I did until we had agreed on a name.

I'm a guy, but do remember having a baby is a super exciting time for us too! I had a great time connecting with other dads in the office and talking baby stuff with friends and family. It's completely normal for a guy to want to know everything and try to be prepared for anything. We go into 'provider' mode pretty easily once we find out we're responsible for someone other than ourselves.

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

We have been flat out telling people at this point, "Yes, we have a name, but no one else gets to know until the ink is dry on the birth certificate." Our families and a few other people got pouty, but a surprising amount of people said, "Oh...well...I can't blame you, I guess." For those who INSIST on knowing the name, we sigh and say, "Ok...well...we are naming her Agnes-Bertha Joy Joy. Yes, hyphenated and with Joy as a middle name" (our last name is Joy, so this absolutely horrifies people). And then they are terribly sorry they asked and we walk away chuckling to ourselves. It's awesome (apologies to anyone in the thread who loves the name Agnes-Bertha).

Mangue, I hope your husband will respect your wishes to not reveal the name yet. I know if either of our moms figured out what we're naming our kid, it would be on facebook in seconds, no matter how much they would swear to keep it secret. Why does he feel like he HAS to tell his parents if they ask?

Dr. Octagon
Aug 12, 2008

Ride or Die Bitch, Esq.

MoCookies posted:

I've spent way too many hours already thinking about this already, and I agree that the whole process has an uncanny parallel to putting together Ikea furniture.

There's a thought - start telling people you will name the baby POÄNG or EKTORP, and maybe any subsequent suggestions will be more readily accepted. I used to tell my parents I would name my children Pocohontas Sacajewea and Cuthbert Geronimo, just to set their expectations really low for liking whatever names I actually ended up picking. I'm pretty sure they are nonplussed by the name we have picked out now, but it's our kid and they'll get used to it, and the world doesn't need another Jayden.

We learned enough from early reactions to the name (when it was just one among several contenders) to shut up about it when we decided on it for sure. It seems like before the baby is born, everyone feels just fine expressing their personal dislike for the name you chose, but I'd hope that once the baby's here, most people aren't rude enough to say "I really hate what you've named your child!"

Andale!Andale!
Aug 23, 2008
If my parents or my husband's mother didn't call my child by his or her name, they wouldn't get to see my child. End of discussion. To me, that would be incredibly disrespectful to the child, my husband, and I. I wouldn't tolerate that from anyone, but I'm a bitch.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog
We just chose family names for our kid, my father's name for a boy and my grandmother's name for a girl. No one talked poo poo when they found out we were honoring deceased loved ones. I did get a few "I knew a creepy bus driver named Bruce" kind of comments, but every name has some bad example so I didn't give a poo poo.

Prolonged Shame
Sep 5, 2004

I guess I'm lucky in that my family and my husbands family seem to accept the name we've chosen (with the exception of my 5 year old nephew who is SUPER PISSED that the baby is not a girl) though my mother keeps wanting me to confirm that we haven't changed our minds on it. I think she's planning on having something embroidered or engraved.

Andale!Andale!
Aug 23, 2008
One of my brothers gave me this long speech about how I'm not thinking about my kids and how they will end up bullied because of the names I've chosen. rear end in a top hat. My daughter's name is Phoenix Rose and my son due in January will be Rowan Cadmus.

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010
I feel so much better having read that I'm not alone. We had a boy name picked and ready to go but I should have guessed we were having a girl the moment we finalized Benjamin Allan. I'm more of a traditional name person, but we put her name together and it just "feels" right.

Mangue - maybe a solution would just be to not decide on a name until the kid hatches. Then your husband can honestly say that you haven't decided on a name and leave it at that.

As an update, my dad called this morning and apologized for being a douchecanoe about her name. He admitted that once he had slept on it and said it he actually really loves it. So that's a plus.

starshine
Nov 26, 2007
I am very pleased with our decision to keep the name (and also the gender) to ourselves. We got a ton of different style clothes with cute colorful stripes and animals at the baby shower, and no one has said a single negative thing about the name. Every gift that we've received since Julia was born has been pink or had "Daddy's girl" or "If you think I'm cute, you should see my mom" on it. :barf:

Dr. Octagon posted:

It seems like before the baby is born, everyone feels just fine expressing their personal dislike for the name you chose, but I'd hope that once the baby's here, most people aren't rude enough to say "I really hate what you've named your child!"
This, for sure. For us, there was zero reason to spill the beans before she was here, and the fact that we kept her gender a secret means no one even bothered to ask about names.

Mangue
Aug 3, 2007

Banana Cat posted:

Why does he feel like he HAS to tell his parents if they ask?

When I asked him why he basically told me that it was an issue of respect. Something about how he respects his parents too much to deny them that sort of knowledge and it is a matter of his moral obligations as a son.

He likened it to if his parents called him up on the phone and asked him how he was doing and he responded with "I don't really want to tell you that."

Either way, I still won. Baby's name will not be revealed until its birthday.

Edit: oh and Bahunter22 that's basically how I won the argument. I feel that it's always possible to change your mind about a name before the baby comes so if we go around telling people one name, then decide to change it, it would be strange. So now my husband can truthfully tell his parents that we have not finalized the name yet. Even though I think we have. Muahahahaha!

Mangue fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Sep 9, 2011

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!
It's amazing to me that people making GBS threads on the name you picked out for your child is actually a thing. There have been a few people in my life who gave their children names I didn't like, and I sure as hell never said a drat thing about it. That would be unbelievably rude. Naming your baby is such a personal thing, honestly I would loving lose it if my parents or in-laws made some snide comments about the names we picked out.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

FretforyourLatte posted:

It's amazing to me that people making GBS threads on the name you picked out for your child is actually a thing. There have been a few people in my life who gave their children names I didn't like, and I sure as hell never said a drat thing about it. That would be unbelievably rude. Naming your baby is such a personal thing, honestly I would loving lose it if my parents or in-laws made some snide comments about the names we picked out.

Yea, I've never had an issue either. I've rolled my eyes at acquaintances kids names, but I've never said anything to their face about it. If my family ever said anything to me I'd just remind them about the horrible name they gave me and tell them they have no room to criticize. ;)

Even my in-laws never said anything. Once we announced the name everyone was pretty much just like "oh ok, cool".

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009
God, this hip joint/ligament pain has got me at my wits' end. I can't sleep the whole night, and today my joints have started to feel really weak and as if they will give way when I walk. Any suggestions at all are welcome.

Here is what I have tried so far:
- Snoogle and/or body pillow between knees (does nothing)
- Tylenol (does nothing)
- Tylenol PM at night (I lie on one side even longer, thus intensifying the pain when I do wake up)
- Heating pad (works OK when I'm on it, but once I get up, effects vanish)
- Heat/massage pad (feels fantastic while I'm on it, but again, I get up and it hurts again)
- Massage by husband (HURTS)
- Yoga (feels good for about 5 minutes and then HURRRTS)
- Walking (joints feel like they're going to fail, I end up limping)
- Hypnosis (feels amazing, but effects don't last)
- Talking to my doctor (she suggested all of the above, all of which had already been tried)
- An hour or two of bouncing around on the inflatable exercise ball (awesome short-term relief but doesn't help too much with the sleeping)
- Warm baths (nice, but don't help)

Here is what I have considered trying:
- Buying a recliner to sleep in so I can sleep sitting semi-upright
- Prayer
- Animal sacrifice to Satan
- Chiropractic (which I'm really dubious about and can't really afford)
- Massage by a professional (but they're all booked up for a month! :( )

Please help me :smith:

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
Try a support belt. My daughter wasn't terribly fond of it but it lifted her weight off my hips enough to give me relief.

Also floating in a pool was amazing.

Tesla Insanely Coil
Jul 23, 2006

Ask me why I'm not squatting.
I have some joint pain, not as bad as yours though I'm at 23 weeks so it might get worse. The only comfortable spot is the recliner. I can't get my back supported and at the right angle any where else. You could also see about paying for your husband to take massage lessons, which would be cheaper than a professional.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

I always used an aerobed (or similar inflatable mattress that you could control the inflation level of with while lying in it) and a nest of pillows on the floor. You inflate it fully, throw your pillows on it, arrange them as it suits you then slowly let the air out until your hips feel good. Boom, perfectly adjusted firmness and pain-free sleep.

If course getting out of it in the middle of the night to go pee was hilarious especially towards the end, but consider it exercise you're supposed to be getting anyway I guess....

Grayscale Rainbow
Oct 17, 2009

Chicken McNobody posted:

A lot of stuff that sounds very painful :(

This might be absolutely horrible advice, so please don't listen to me without talking to a doctor about it. However, I'll offer it anyway (and explain why I'm offering potentially horrible advice).

Have you thought about trying to strengthen the muscles around the effected ligaments? Squats, leg lifts, lunges and the like could be helpful because having stronger muscles will help stabilize the joints since the ligaments don't seem to be doing a good job of it. However, I worry that the point at which this advice could help has passed. If your ligaments are simply too loose to withstand the pressure needed to build up the muscle, then you can't do this, but it was a thought.

The reason I am suggesting this is that I severely injured my shoulder when I was a child and have been dealing with it ever since. I broke it and yanked the ligaments. The break healed fine, but the ligaments are permanently loose. The looseness causes a lot of pain and my shoulder could someday fall out of the socket. However, if I keep the joint strong by lifting weights, I have no pain and there is no risk of it falling out of the socket. It means that shoulder relies on the muscles instead of the ligaments to hold it in place, so I have to be sure to keep it strong and not lose too much muscle or else the pain starts up again and I can see and feel it slipping around in the socket. Knowing that my ligaments would get looser during pregnancy made me very attentive to keeping my muscles in my problem areas strong (I have various issues with my legs as well, but it's not related to the ligaments being loose).

So, as I said, this could be a horrible idea for you, but since keeping my shoulder strong has helped me both before and during pregnancy, I was hoping the same could be true for you.

Also, buying a recliner to sleep in sounds like a really good idea.

Chicken McNobody
Aug 7, 2009

Tesla Insanely Coil posted:

I have some joint pain, not as bad as yours though I'm at 23 weeks so it might get worse. The only comfortable spot is the recliner. I can't get my back supported and at the right angle any where else. You could also see about paying for your husband to take massage lessons, which would be cheaper than a professional.

I'm barely 21 weeks myself. :( Of course I was fat beforehand. Next time around I'm taking at least a year to get my physical poo poo together before getting preggernated.

Twatty Seahag posted:

Try a support belt. My daughter wasn't terribly fond of it but it lifted her weight off my hips enough to give me relief.

Also floating in a pool was amazing.

A friend has lent me one, so I will be trying this for sure! Sadly I don't have a good pool near me, nor a deep-enough tub, or I'd be in there all day :( just thinking about it kind of makes me go "aaahhhhhhh".

Oracle posted:

I always used an aerobed (or similar inflatable mattress that you could control the inflation level of with while lying in it) and a nest of pillows on the floor. You inflate it fully, throw your pillows on it, arrange them as it suits you then slowly let the air out until your hips feel good. Boom, perfectly adjusted firmness and pain-free sleep.

:aaaaa: I didn't think of this--I think we even have one at home somewhere...fantastic idea! Since the exercise ball helps so much I bet this will feel awesome.

Grayscale Rainbow posted:

Have you thought about trying to strengthen the muscles around the effected ligaments? Squats, leg lifts, lunges and the like could be helpful because having stronger muscles will help stabilize the joints since the ligaments don't seem to be doing a good job of it. However, I worry that the point at which this advice could help has passed. If your ligaments are simply too loose to withstand the pressure needed to build up the muscle, then you can't do this, but it was a thought.

This is a good point. I'm trying to strengthen those muscles now but drat it hurts! I agree with you, I may have missed the boat on this one. Definitely gonna keep it in mind for the next pregnancy--it will be yoga time all the time, also I will lift a weight.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

Chicken McNobody posted:

God, this hip joint/ligament pain has got me at my wits' end. I can't sleep the whole night, and today my joints have started to feel really weak and as if they will give way when I walk. Any suggestions at all are welcome.

Here is what I have considered trying:
- Buying a recliner to sleep in so I can sleep sitting semi-upright

I spent much of my third trimester sleeping propped up in a corner of our couch. It helped my heartburn and joint pain, as well as my congestion. I actually did consider buying a recliner, but the couch actually worked really well and it wasn't hard to get up and go to the bathroom. It sucked not being able to sleep beside my husband but it was the most restful sleep I could get! Good luck.

Rex Deckard
Jul 15, 2004

So today we added #3 to the family. Say hi to Declan, this guy is pretty goddamn cute.

Birth story is about as opposite as one could get between pregnancies, she was a VBAC so we were pretty wary about showing up too early. So labored at home, went to hospital when she felt the urge to bear down, got there, we rush registered and her water broke right when she got to the room. 30 minutes later we were done. No IV, no drugs, and a cute kid as the reward.

The other two in the photo are Owen and Connor our twins, who seem really happy about the new brother.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

drat you make some cute kids, Dex. Also I cannot believe how old they are.

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn
My god, I am cramping terribly. I found out I am pregnant yesterday because I got sent home from work for puking. Turns out, I wasn't sick but pregnant. When will the uterine cramping go away? It hurts pretty badly.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Gumby Orgy posted:

My god, I am cramping terribly. I found out I am pregnant yesterday because I got sent home from work for puking. Turns out, I wasn't sick but pregnant. When will the uterine cramping go away? It hurts pretty badly.

You shouldn't be feeling really bad cramping like that. Some is expected, usually mild. What your describing seems pretty painful. If you start spotting, may want to head to the hospital to get checked out.

Bodnoirbabe fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Sep 10, 2011

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn

Bodnoirbabe posted:

You shouldn't be feeling really bad cramping like that. Some is expected, usually mild. What your describing seems pretty painful. If you start spotting, may want to head to the hospital to get checked out.

Okay. It is pretty painful. It is like menstrual cramps only no bleeding. I think the reason they are so painful to me are that a) I'm beyond tired - sleeping 12+ hours and still being exhausted kind of tired. b) I'm nauseated to the point where I am having trouble doing my job. I had to tell my boss yesterday because it is obvious from my symptoms that I'm pregnant. My puking, tired self let the cat out of the bag.

Edit: According to my last menstrual period, I'm considered 5 weeks along. Considering how severe my symptoms are and how early they are, I am concerned I'm packing a twofer. Twins run in my family and they definitely run in my husband's family. My first midwife appointment is Oct 17th, which is the earliest they will see me based on the magic "last menstrual period". I went with a CNM because I'm so far not considered high risk and I want to have as few interventions as possible. The hospital I chose has four on staff in the OB/GYN department. I think I have my first ultrasound then, too.

Edit 2: I know twins happen from the maternal side. I'm just sayin' that the odds are pretty high I'm going to end with with multiples.

Gumby Orgy fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Sep 10, 2011

vanessa
May 21, 2006

CAUTION: This pussy is ferocious.

Gumby Orgy posted:

My first midwife appointment is Oct 17th, which is the earliest they will see me based on the magic "last menstrual period".

If you aren't feeling great, then call and ask to be seen sooner. At the very least, you can get some advice on how to alleviate the cramping and get some reassurance that things are progressing well. Plus, if you're vomiting a lot, you might be getting dehydrated which could be exacerbating the cramping.

My OB said that cramping like menstrual cramps is normal (because your uterus is expanding) but that if it got uncomfortable, I could always call her and have things checked out.

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn

vanessa posted:

If you aren't feeling great, then call and ask to be seen sooner. At the very least, you can get some advice on how to alleviate the cramping and get some reassurance that things are progressing well. Plus, if you're vomiting a lot, you might be getting dehydrated which could be exacerbating the cramping.

My OB said that cramping like menstrual cramps is normal (because your uterus is expanding) but that if it got uncomfortable, I could always call her and have things checked out.

I went from no symptoms to having just about all the possible symptoms hit me in one day. Before that I felt like I was getting sick. I think it all started with extreme tiredness. I can barely make it through my shift at work because I'm so tired. Eating small meals or having snacks immediately after waking and throughout the day help keep the nausea down so much that I'm worried I'm going to start gaining in my first trimester. Being pregnant, that wouldn't be too horrible but would make for less wiggle room in potential weight gain later on.

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

vanessa posted:

Plus, if you're vomiting a lot, you might be getting dehydrated which could be exacerbating the cramping.

Yeah, my menstrual cramps were always painful to begin with, and I cramped bad enough in the first month or so of pregnancy that I was convinced my period would start any moment and/or I'd miscarry. But when I managed to get, and keep, some water down, the cramping eased up up a bit, so I also recommend trying to keep liquids down. No-sugar added popsicles helped me out too (the more sugary ones made me nauseous).

I was so tired and nauseous at work that I was certain I was going to be reprimanded or fired since (I thought) it was obvious I was slacking miserably, but I was so terrified of miscarrying any moment that I didn't want to tell anyone I was pregnant yet. Luckily, some flu or something was going around work for about a month, so everyone else was tired and grumpy and no one gave my symptoms a second thought. Don't worry about gaining weight in the first trimester. Do whatever you need to in order to get through the day!

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn

Banana Cat posted:

Yeah, my menstrual cramps were always painful to begin with, and I cramped bad enough in the first month or so of pregnancy that I was convinced my period would start any moment and/or I'd miscarry. But when I managed to get, and keep, some water down, the cramping eased up up a bit, so I also recommend trying to keep liquids down. No-sugar added popsicles helped me out too (the more sugary ones made me nauseous).

I was so tired and nauseous at work that I was certain I was going to be reprimanded or fired since (I thought) it was obvious I was slacking miserably, but I was so terrified of miscarrying any moment that I didn't want to tell anyone I was pregnant yet. Luckily, some flu or something was going around work for about a month, so everyone else was tired and grumpy and no one gave my symptoms a second thought. Don't worry about gaining weight in the first trimester. Do whatever you need to in order to get through the day!

I had to tell my supervisor because being pregnant means I can't work with patients with infectious diseases or taking certain medications. While the risk of actually coming in contact with something bad is low, the consequences are very high if it happened. On top of that, it was pretty drat obvious that something wasn't right.

I feel like I'm going to miscarry at any point because the cramps are so painful. I find that water is okay, but grape juice is the nectar of the gods. I never knew it was so magical until I got pregnant.

Also, I'm only 5-6 weeks along and my breasts are starting to grow already. I'm so sore that I can't wear my underwire bras as of today. My sports bras are also tight, but marginally more comfortable.

The Young Marge
Jul 19, 2006

but no one can talk to a horse, of course.
FWIW, I had very strong about-to-get-my-period-like symptoms for about two weeks, starting from when they would normally begin if my period was due. (Specifically, I had cramps and breast tenderness.) Hopefully that's all it is and you'll be okay; this sounds a lot like what what I felt in early pregnancy. I kept getting paranoid that my period was about to start, and had to keep reminding myself that I was pregnant!

Hopefully some of the crappier symptoms will let up soon. I almost feel bad for saying this since I know a lot of people have a really hard first trimester, but after those first couple of weeks, I got really lucky and only had exhaustion and a little wooziness.

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

I can't get over how hard I'm getting kicked lately. I'm ~31 weeks, and the hard kicking and punching lasts for hours and hours every day, starting around 4 am. It's like I'm gestating the Mini-Hulk, and every Hulk-Smash to the cervix makes me want to cry. I can pretty much always tell you where he is (head up, down, transverse, etc.), and where his feet (and often his hands too) currently are. None of my pregnant friends seem to have the same level of hyper-awareness of their baby's movements and position. So now I'm wondering if I'm overly sensitive in my baby-making parts, if this level of activity is normal, and if I'm going to be able to go through with the natural birth I'm planning. I don't know what the gently caress, and I'm starting to freak out just a little.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
You're probably just very in tune with your body. :) Doesn't make it much easier for you, though!

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!

MoCookies posted:

I can't get over how hard I'm getting kicked lately. I'm ~31 weeks, and the hard kicking and punching lasts for hours and hours every day, starting around 4 am. It's like I'm gestating the Mini-Hulk, and every Hulk-Smash to the cervix makes me want to cry. I can pretty much always tell you where he is (head up, down, transverse, etc.), and where his feet (and often his hands too) currently are. None of my pregnant friends seem to have the same level of hyper-awareness of their baby's movements and position. So now I'm wondering if I'm overly sensitive in my baby-making parts, if this level of activity is normal, and if I'm going to be able to go through with the natural birth I'm planning. I don't know what the gently caress, and I'm starting to freak out just a little.

I feel like I might have a Mini-Hulk as well - I'm only 22 weeks and already I am feeling some solid kicks. With my first pregnancy I was only just starting to feel flutters at this point. I know they say you feel movement earlier in subsequent pregnancies but geez! I can actually see my belly twitch with the kicks already, it's crazy.

Went on a shopping spree with Mom today and got some super cute maternity clothes for fall at Macy's! Free clothes are awesome. :woop:

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010

FretforyourLatte posted:

I feel like I might have a Mini-Hulk as well - I'm only 22 weeks and already I am feeling some solid kicks. With my first pregnancy I was only just starting to feel flutters at this point. I know they say you feel movement earlier in subsequent pregnancies but geez! I can actually see my belly twitch with the kicks already, it's crazy.

Went on a shopping spree with Mom today and got some super cute maternity clothes for fall at Macy's! Free clothes are awesome. :woop:

I feel like I have a kickboxer living in me right now. I'm at 21 weeks and she already kicks so hard! She kicks so hard that she bounces my laptop off of my belly when I'm playing her music and she can completely kick my phone off if she's having a kicking party. Its rad now but I'm sure in a couple of weeks its going to be less awesome for me.

I'm seriously swimming in baby gear already. I have so many clothes and diapers that people have been picking up since we found out we're having a girl and I'm not sure where I'm going to put it all. I'm thankful for all of it though. Its less I have to stress about her being clothed.

Gumby Orgy
Mar 21, 2007

by T. Finn
I was reading through the earlier parts of this thread and found a recommendation for the Bravado maternity/nursing bra from Target. Whoever first suggested that wins for life. My comfort level instantly improved with the acquisition of a couple of those bad boys. I went from zero to uncomfortable in quite literally one day. Sure, my breasts were sore as hell before today, but today marked the "Oh wow. My bra cups are too small and hurt" phase.

I am still unpacking and had a friend over to help me. She, without me mentioning a word, asked me if my breasts were bigger.

I'm right at around 6 weeks and my breasts are noticeably larger. :emo:

Has anyone else experienced such a thing with pregnancy or was it more gradual?

yawnie
Jul 29, 2003
lollerz.

MoCookies posted:

You're not alone. I'm 32 weeks and I've felt like this kid was an abnormally violent kicker for the entire pregnancy. I felt his first movements at 15 weeks and by around 20 weeks, it was starting to get strong enough to keep me up at night. These days I honestly fear that he might break a rib. Some days it literally feels like he is trying to claw his way out of my cervix. I have about a gazillion friends that are also pregnant right now and they all look at me like I'm crazy when I describe how active he is - And I want to punch anybody who describes baby movements as feeling like "butterflies". It is nice to know whether he's head down or not (which he almost always is), but after a long day of violent kicks it can get pretty tiresome. I've always been very in-tune with my body too, so that may contribute to it. Anyways, all that is just to say that I feel your pain.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

yawnie posted:

You're not alone. I'm 32 weeks and I've felt like this kid was an abnormally violent kicker for the entire pregnancy. I felt his first movements at 15 weeks and by around 20 weeks, it was starting to get strong enough to keep me up at night. These days I honestly fear that he might break a rib. Some days it literally feels like he is trying to claw his way out of my cervix. I have about a gazillion friends that are also pregnant right now and they all look at me like I'm crazy when I describe how active he is - And I want to punch anybody who describes baby movements as feeling like "butterflies". It is nice to know whether he's head down or not (which he almost always is), but after a long day of violent kicks it can get pretty tiresome. I've always been very in-tune with my body too, so that may contribute to it. Anyways, all that is just to say that I feel your pain.

Ha! This was me. By the end I was shifting positions, trying to keep him from kicking the same spot in my ribs so I wouldn't start crying. It hurt so bad.

On the bright side, all that cervix kicking/clawing encouraged dilation, so maybe that will be true for you too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

legbeard
Jun 13, 2006
I'm around 18 weeks now. The second trimester is flying by comfortably, compared to the first three months that I spent sleeping. The books I'm reading say I should be expecting some kicking soon, but I haven't felt anything definitive yet. When you figured out that the baby was kicking, was it obvious? A lot of women say fluttering, but I'm reading you all say that you have super hulk babies. Will I be able to tell that they are kicking me soon?

I already feel and look very pregnant. I'm starting to get horrible back pain while sleeping and sitting. Do you all have any tips for that? I'm trying to sleep sort of propped up, because sleeping on either side is also very painful. I've got a bunch of pillows and stuff, but is there anything else I can do?

Also, yay for us making it the the halfway point (only 37 weeks to full term for twins)!

legbeard fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Sep 12, 2011