Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Jetsetlemming posted:

I did that, but when I open Computer and double click on the disk, it still runs the default action (running the installer/opening the DVD in windows media center/etc) instead of opening the folder.

Try this, paste it into a text file.reg and merge it to the registry
code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\DVD\shell]
@="open"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
I hate to ask this type of question, but can anyone recommend a better RSS reader than Google's? Preferably something similar to Reeder for OSX.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

Factor Mystic posted:

Try this, paste it into a text file.reg and merge it to the registry
code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\DVD\shell]
@="open"
Hey, that did it! Thanks. :)

Butt Savage posted:

I hate to ask this type of question, but can anyone recommend a better RSS reader than Google's? Preferably something similar to Reeder for OSX.
I use this:
http://www.feedreader.com/
It's pretty good.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Butt Savage posted:

NewsFox for Firefox.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
Thanks, guys. I'll check them out.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've enjoyed feeddemon for a while now. Although it's just synched to my Google reader account, so maybe that's not exactly what you want.

The Monarch
Jul 8, 2006

Ok I've tried google and I'm getting loads of conflicting information, but sorry if this is a common question. I wanna install 7 Ultimate 64 on a partition separate from my programs/games/documents. Is this still recommended (i.e. does Windows 7 handle programs in a way that'll cause problems if they're installed on a separate partition?) and if so what size should the partition be?

Like I said I'm only gonna install windows and the various drivers for my system on the one partition, and everything else on the second (larger) partition.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

The Monarch posted:

Ok I've tried google and I'm getting loads of conflicting information, but sorry if this is a common question. I wanna install 7 Ultimate 64 on a partition separate from my programs/games/documents. Is this still recommended (i.e. does Windows 7 handle programs in a way that'll cause problems if they're installed on a separate partition?) and if so what size should the partition be?

Like I said I'm only gonna install windows and the various drivers for my system on the one partition, and everything else on the second (larger) partition.

Well, my Windows folder plus page file and hibernation file are about 40GB. Why put Program Files elsewhere, though? Programs with registry entries will have to be reinstalled if you reinstall Windows anyway.

The Monarch
Jul 8, 2006

Well because programs (aka Steam) are my biggest space hogs anyway, so there's no point in doing a separate partition if I'm going to have both the OS as well as my programs on a single one.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

The Monarch posted:

Well because programs (aka Steam) are my biggest space hogs anyway, so there's no point in doing a separate partition if I'm going to have both the OS as well as my programs on a single one.

I assumed you wanted partitions so you could reinstall without messing with your documents. What are you trying to get out of partitioning?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

The Monarch posted:

Partitioning a single hard drive has never really helped. Even when people thought they needed to reinstall Windows every 3 months, they were still better off just doing a "full" install off the setup disc which would wipe out the previous windows installation while leaving user files. Although I guess back when Windows wouldn't boot off a drive bigger than 2 GB (Windows 3.1) or 32 gb (95 through ME on many computers) it was a necessity if you had a large drive at the time.

Windows 7 makes it easier than ever to just clean out the old stuff without worrying about losing your files, since now if you select a clean install and don't format, your old install gets shoved into a convenient WINDOWS.OLD folder where you can pull out any needed files.

Tom Foolery
Jul 9, 2011

no seriously

LifeSizePotato posted:

I asked a similar question a page or two back and didn't get a response. The aero glass effects were a little heavy handed on the taskbar for my taste.

I ended up installing a theme called Shine 2.0 from DeviantArt. Most themes I've found are incredibly tacky and ugly, but this one is pretty graceful and minimalist, I think. I'm liking it a few days in, at least. It has a very clean taskbar treatment, especially.

http://zainadeel.deviantart.com/art/Shine-2-0-for-Windows-7-172671190
This definitely works. I suppose this is as good of a solution as any. Thanks!

cre3d
Aug 11, 2004
the one and only
Not really sure where else to post this so I'll give it a shot here.

When accessing a share on my server from my desktop via windows explorer, if I copy a file from that share to another share on the same server, is there any way for the server to just copy the file on it's end instead of transferring the contents to my desktop and then back? Seems like such a waste of time if the operation is technically only occurring on the server. Is this just an SMB limitation?

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists
What is the best way to clean up a Windows 7 machine to sell on craigslist? I want to remove personal data, all extraneous software, etc. Is it best to just do a clean install of Windows 7? Are there other options -- I have an Office install that I don't know where the serial is, and I'd rather not have to try to track that down and reinstall, and I'd like to be able to sell it WITH Word/Excel on it.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Rashomon posted:

What is the best way to clean up a Windows 7 machine to sell on craigslist? I want to remove personal data, all extraneous software, etc. Is it best to just do a clean install of Windows 7? Are there other options -- I have an Office install that I don't know where the serial is, and I'd rather not have to try to track that down and reinstall, and I'd like to be able to sell it WITH Word/Excel on it.

I'd use a keyfinder to get the Office key and do a clean install of Windows, personally. Overall, it's probably less effort that trying to make sure you've totally cleaned up an existing install.

Edit: and use Ninite to cut down on setup time after the reinstall.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Yeah I would dban it for sure, and then either reinstall or give the person an install disc.

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005
I've had a hosed up font file installed on like a gazillion PCs. Anybody happen to have a ready made batch file for deleting a specified font and then installing a new one?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

cre3d posted:

When accessing a share on my server from my desktop via windows explorer, if I copy a file from that share to another share on the same server, is there any way for the server to just copy the file on it's end instead of transferring the contents to my desktop and then back? Seems like such a waste of time if the operation is technically only occurring on the server. Is this just an SMB limitation?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's an SMB problem. It can't issue the move command because as far as it knows you're working on two file systems. You may be able to access the admin shares c$,d$,etc and then both shared folders would be on the same filesystem.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

LooKMaN posted:

For FFMS2 you have to demux (extract) the .264 video file (or all streams/files, depending on what you need) from the .m2ts file using TSMuxer, then use MKVToolnix to mux it into a new MKV file.

I got the FFMS2 plugin. As for TSMuxer and MKVToolnix, are these the programs you are talking about?
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/tsMuxeR
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MKVtoolnix

I'll give it a shot. I was hoping it would handle the .m2ts files natively because it would save me a TON of time on video processing (these are 1080p videos at 15-minutes each. Also there are 40 of them. Also also I have about 300 more 1080p videos that are about 3-minutes each). :suicide:

EDIT: It seems to work fine, and it takes less time to process than straight-up converting the video. Thanks! Any idea what was happening with the .m2ts file?

EDIT 2: Looking back on it, I don't think I need it. I was using the DirectShowSource command instead of the DSS2 command that you suggested :doh:. Why would that make a difference?

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Sep 6, 2011

LoKout
Apr 2, 2003

Professional Fetus Taster

cre3d posted:

The only way to do this is via remote desktop. I suppose you could setup telnet or SSH and do it that way, but it's essentially the same thing. SMB doesn't have any way to tell the remote computer to transfer the file internally.

Edit: Admin shares won't make a difference. It just plain doesn't have a way to tell the computer to do the transfer locally. You can do a move command, but it's just a copy and then delete according to your client because it's a network source.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So, why does WU in Windows 7 offer the option "Download, but let me choose when to install" for updates, then disregards that option and installs them anyway on shutdown?

kapinga
Oct 12, 2005

I am not a number

Combat Pretzel posted:

So, why does WU in Windows 7 offer the option "Download, but let me choose when to install" for updates, then disregards that option and installs them anyway on shutdown?

Because you clicked the main "shutdown" link with the UAC badge on it in the start menu. That is normally standby (with no UAC) except when updates are pending.

If you want to shutdown or restart with pending updates (why? the main annoyance for updates is that the computer sometimes reboots) you can always click the little arrow and select what you want to do. I know restart and I'm pretty sure shutdown both don't run the installer when you do this.

cre3d
Aug 11, 2004
the one and only

LoKout posted:

The only way to do this is via remote desktop. I suppose you could setup telnet or SSH and do it that way, but it's essentially the same thing. SMB doesn't have any way to tell the remote computer to transfer the file internally.

Edit: Admin shares won't make a difference. It just plain doesn't have a way to tell the computer to do the transfer locally. You can do a move command, but it's just a copy and then delete according to your client because it's a network source.

Well this is less than exciting news.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

LoKout posted:

You can move stuff around on the same share, so if both shares are on the same physical drive, you could access that drive's root and do the move that way.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

marketingman posted:

I've had a hosed up font file installed on like a gazillion PCs. Anybody happen to have a ready made batch file for deleting a specified font and then installing a new one?

This sounds like a prime case for Powershell + the PSEXEC tool from sysinternals. Actually, for just deleting the corrupted file and replacing it with a good one, you wouldn't even need psexec. If you're in an AD environment you can use powershell to pull a list of the machine names by ou or whatever, and have it run whatever commands you need on all of them. Check out the "hey, scripting guy" blog from MS for some ready made examples on all of this stuff, it's pretty super.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Are there any anti-virus programs MSE won't run well with/will run well with?

KomradeVirtunov
Sep 14, 2007

Anatharon posted:

Are there any anti-virus programs MSE won't run well with/will run well with?

MSE IS an anti-virus program, why do you need to run another program with it? It'll cause you nothing but grief.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

KomradeVirtunov posted:

MSE IS an anti-virus program, why do you need to run another program with it? It'll cause you nothing but grief.

Not only that, but MSE is hands-down the best one you can get for Windows, especially for its free price tag.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
From personal experience, trying to run Norton and MSE causes Norton to poo poo all over the place and make your computer unusable.

Question time: at work we have a WDS server set up and I've been playing around with it using sysprep and whatnot. When I run sysprep and do /oobe /generalize, does this mean that it nukes all of the drivers off of the system for a "generalized" install? I ask this because I'm under the impression that I need to make an image for each time of machine we have (ex- Dell Desktop, Dell Laptop, HP desktop, HP laptop, etc). Am I a moron with eating up a bunch of space with images or can I just update one captured image and use that as the base install for ALL of the machines that come in?

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

To crooked eyes truth may wear a wry face.

Mak0rz posted:

I got the FFMS2 plugin. As for TSMuxer and MKVToolnix, are these the programs you are talking about?
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/tsMuxeR
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MKVtoolnix

I'll give it a shot. I was hoping it would handle the .m2ts files natively because it would save me a TON of time on video processing (these are 1080p videos at 15-minutes each. Also there are 40 of them. Also also I have about 300 more 1080p videos that are about 3-minutes each). :suicide:

EDIT: It seems to work fine, and it takes less time to process than straight-up converting the video. Thanks! Any idea what was happening with the .m2ts file?

EDIT 2: Looking back on it, I don't think I need it. I was using the DirectShowSource command instead of the DSS2 command that you suggested :doh:. Why would that make a difference?

DirectShowSource isn't frame accurate. DSS2 is.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

LooKMaN posted:

DirectShowSource isn't frame accurate. DSS2 is.

Good to know. Thanks for your help! :tipshat:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

KomradeVirtunov posted:

I like having redundancy.

Mak0rz posted:

Not only that, but MSE is hands-down the best one you can get for Windows, especially for its free price tag.

But if this is the case, I won't bother!

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Anatharon posted:

This is not a good idea with real-time AV.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Does anyone know of an application that can take pictures from built in webcam? Doesn't need any crazy effects or features but a timer would be nice (if it waits 3 seconds before taking the actual picture).

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

^^^ What kind of webcam? Most come with some kind of software along these lines

Anatharon posted:

But if this is the case, I won't bother!

An antivirus is like hiring a ninja security guard to keep suspicious types out of your building. Running two antiviruses is like hiring two ninja security guards to look for suspicious types, and not telling them about each other

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Does anyone know why double clicking external filters in MPC doesn't do anything? I should be able to get settings but it doesn't do jack poo poo. :<

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Is there a program or method to batch convert the album art embedded in music files? My MP3 player won't display album art over 100kb and I don't really relish modifying 8 gigs of music by hand.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

baka kaba posted:

^^^ What kind of webcam? Most come with some kind of software along these lines

Er its just one built into the laptop , I think it's an Acer (its for someone else). Do you think if I download some logitech software it will work just the same?

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000

Mak0rz posted:

I know I've said it before, but I have to say it again. MSE has fallen down since it came out and this is the truth. It's still great, especially for the price tag, but right now I'm finding Avast to be much better in terms of performance on all levels.

The first 1.5 years of MSE were great, but virus authors really started to figure it out and that's where I started seeing MSE slipping regularly. For a while there though, I didn't have to worry about any of my clients with MSE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

If only there were a thorough study of different AV software packages so we didn't have to rely on different gut-feeling, anecdotal reports.