Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

JD Brickmeister posted:

Lesson - this kind of poo poo happens with sealed batteries - something I did not know.

Technically, it only happens with unsealed batteries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!
I seem to recall the "new" VW Beetle's battery was notorious for doing this when it first came out. When I worked at the battery place I saw several exploded Deutsche batteries with the tops blown up.

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit

DJ Commie posted:

Charging a battery creates hydrogen, not discharging!

I didn't know that.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I have a riding tractor from the 70s with the original battery that I was jumping so that I could drive it around. Somehow I still have a face.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

The Scientist posted:

I didn't know that.

Sounds like someone needs a name change.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

atomicthumbs posted:

Technically, it only happens with unsealed batteries.
Technically, it still happens with sealed batteries, but it isn't released during normal operation. If overcharged, they can still outgas significant amounts of hydrogen. Another big risk is thermal runaway.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

grover posted:

Technically, it still happens with sealed batteries, but it isn't released during normal operation. If overcharged, they can still outgas significant amounts of hydrogen. Another big risk is thermal runaway.

I think his point is that if hydrogen escapes, then it cannot be "sealed."

Boogeyman
Sep 29, 2004

Boo, motherfucker.
Speaking of battery failures...

"Why won't this loving UPS unit hold a charge?"
"I don't know, let's crack it open and take a look."

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Those SLAB batteries don't last too long even under normal operation. There's a reason fire panel codes require them to be replaced yearly (same models of batteries in fire panels - my father installs them for a living, and my house has a UPS on almost every outlet). I even use one in my (non-e-start) motorcycle.

Boogeyman
Sep 29, 2004

Boo, motherfucker.
That battery came out of a UPS system that had been running some of our servers at work for about 6 or 7 years straight. There were four batteries in that unit, each the size of a car battery. Every one of them looked like that. I'm not real sure how it managed to keep limping along.

VacaGrande
Dec 24, 2003
God! A red nugget! A fat egg under a dog!

JD Brickmeister posted:

The battery in my Escalade made a "POP" sound, kind of like a dud firecracker when I tried to start it, then everything went dead. Opened up the hood and there was battery acid sprayed inside and the battery itself had split a little.

Lesson - this kind of poo poo happens with sealed batteries - something I did not know.

I too have learned this lesson and spent a relaxing evening cleaning battery acid under the hood with baking soda.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Boogeyman posted:

That battery came out of a UPS system that had been running some of our servers at work for about 6 or 7 years straight. There were four batteries in that unit, each the size of a car battery. Every one of them looked like that. I'm not real sure how it managed to keep limping along.

Just barely. Puffiness like that usually happens when cells short or other things. For fun, put a meter on them and see what their standing voltage is.

The good news is that, if you find the right supplier, even the bigger ones like that can be had for relatively cheap. Most places online want close to $80 for one of the smaller 12 or even 7AH versions, but the local supplier for my dad's security company sells them for $15 to a business, or $20 individually. Yours looks like a...TR55-12? http://www.batteryspec.com/html/FireAlarm.html

Unless you already knew all this, then disregard and move on. :colbert:

heat
Sep 4, 2003

The Mad Monk

Boogeyman posted:

What kind of cheap rear end UPS doesn't tell you when the battery is hosed?

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

heat posted:

What kind of cheap rear end UPS doesn't tell you when the battery is hosed?

What kind of cheap rear end job do you have that they still set you in the server closet?

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao

Viggen posted:

What kind of cheap rear end job do you have that they still set you in the server closet?

Even if your car is running fine you still check the fluids every now and then right? Somebody should be checking the UPSs every once in a while too. No need to live with the server.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Breast Pussy posted:

Even if your car is running fine you still check the fluids every now and then right? Somebody should be checking the UPSs every once in a while too. No need to live with the server.

Usually this stuff can be monitored remotely, or locally via USB or serial interfaces, but I assume that they didn't bother hooking any of that crap up, and unless you're in there long enough to get an audible warning, or just happen to check it, you'd never know.

Yeah, it was bad management, but it likely wasn't intentional.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
gently caress, I'm tearing my UPS open this weekend. I think I bought it in 05.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Godholio posted:

Same. Mine's been moved a few times and has had power tripped at least once a month since I bought it in 2006.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

grover posted:

Sealed Lead Acid batteries have vents in them which are designed to prevent that sort of failure. You can theoretically make a bomb by potting the battery and inducing a failure that requires venting.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Godholio posted:

Mine's from 07. Just checked it and the battery isn't spilling its guts yet, though it's long past its prime by now. I only get about 10 minutes out of it now.

I've been debating if I should order a new battery (since this one's original) or a larger UPS - this one is only a 550VA, and refurbups.com has some awesome deals on medium sized units. Thankfully our power doesn't go out often, but when it does go out it's out for a bit.

Also, refurbups.com has some decent prices on replacement batteries.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

MadScientistWorking posted:

Sealed Lead Acid batteries have vents in them which are designed to prevent that sort of failure. You can theoretically make a bomb by potting the battery and inducing a failure that requires venting.
That's what I was talking about, the hydrogen is contained within AGM and gel-cell lead-acid batteries during normal operation, but if it's overcharged, too much hydrogen gas is generated, and the pressure builds until the battery explodes. Valve-regulated lead-acid (VRLA) batteries are supposed to vent the gas before the case fails. If they're stored in an unventilated enclosure or hydrogen gas otherwise exceeds 4% concentration, it can explode.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
My UPS functioned as nothing but a glorified power conditioner when I picked it up off the sidewalk. Its main function is to make a horrible squealing noise to let me know that the power is fluctuating or going out. I'm afraid to open it up because the battery probably no longer resembles its original form.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

atomicthumbs posted:

My UPS functioned as nothing but a glorified power conditioner when I picked it up off the sidewalk. Its main function is to make a horrible squealing noise to let me know that the power is fluctuating or going out. I'm afraid to open it up because the battery probably no longer resembles its original form.

You don't want expensive devices plugged into some lovely UPS that has a melted/bulging battery in it, and most UPS's have pretty easy (a few screws at most) access to replace the battery. Also, batteries can be cheap (as I noted earlier).

Why live with the risk of damaging everything plugged into it?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Geirskogul posted:

So you can post photos of horrible mechanical failures when they explode?

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

FILTHY CASUAL | CONSOLE PEASANT

AlternateAccount posted:

How did this not destroy other things?

I'm not sure. He curbed the rim hard enough to remove a 1/4" deep, 3 inch long section. The tire bead was unaffected. The tie rod is bent slightly when new to clear the rack, so I think it kind of functioned like a fuse in the steering.

Also : the metal parts were carefully placed on the battery solely for the purposes of the photo. Having experienced surprise welding once before, (many years ago) I would not make such a novice mistake again. :science:

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit

Geirskogul posted:

You don't want expensive devices plugged into some lovely UPS that has a melted/bulging battery in it, and most UPS's have pretty easy (a few screws at most) access to replace the battery. Also, batteries can be cheap (as I noted earlier).

Do UPS's not regulate the voltage from the DC source?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

The Scientist posted:

Do UPS's not regulate the voltage from the DC source?
Bad things can happen to the power coming out of a UPS inverter when a battery is dying. I've seen big high-end UPS blow fuses the size of your fist when the batteries failed.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Automotive Insanity > Let's Get Geeky About Batteries.

(not mine)

JD Brickmeister
Sep 4, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Devyl posted:

JB Weld would take care of that...

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.

JD Brickmeister posted:

JB Weld would take care of that...
Well, technically so would hot glue if you never put any stress on the joint.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
The Honda N600 I'm likely buying has a broken crank, wish I had a picture but how does that happen on a 36hp 2cyl 600cc engine that revs to 8000RPM?

JD Brickmeister
Sep 4, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

netwerk23 posted:

Well, technically so would hot glue if you never put any stress on the joint.

Exactly - I was actually thinking along the lines of cyanoacrylate (sp? superglue) because you can see how nicely the two parts fit would fit together.

Berserkerduck
Sep 5, 2011

by T. Finn

DJ Commie posted:

The Honda N600 I'm likely buying has a broken crank, wish I had a picture but how does that happen on a 36hp 2cyl 600cc engine that revs to 8000RPM?

Doesn't the N600 have a built-up crankshaft with roller bearings? That would be all I need to know to find an explanation.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

DJ Commie posted:

how does that happen on a 36hp 2cyl 600cc engine that revs to 8000RPM?
8001RPM.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Devyl posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Automotive Insanity > Let's Get Geeky About Batteries.

(not mine)

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.jpg right there.

how'd he/she manage that?

Ballcock
Jul 1, 2005

Safety Control Rod Axe Man
This is not advisable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExS43bv462M

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Ballcock posted:

I dunno, some batteries seem quite tough...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExS43bv462M

This was the first youtube channel I ever subscribed to. I love this guy.

Watch the video where he puts a brick in a dryer.
Then find the one where someone gave it eyes and a soul.

Fermunky
May 30, 2003

The monkey is NOT impressed...

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I'm pretty sure it was earllllly in this thread someone posted a link to one of his videos and was the reason I subscribed to the same channel.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Berserkerduck posted:

Doesn't the N600 have a built-up crankshaft with roller bearings? That would be all I need to know to find an explanation.

Yeah, its a roller. There's an engine with a good bottom end on eBay and I found the headgasket part number and some places can get it so hodgepodge engine it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinky Blinkerson
May 9, 2006

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

loving hell, I can't stop laughing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TqBSI8ZBzQ