Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Insurrectum
Nov 1, 2005

Devoyniche posted:

I have played this game for a longass time and I still don't understand how you are supposed to harvest obsidian from multiple-level-deep lava pools without losing a lot of it. I can go around the edges and shift+mine and sort of hover over the lava for a split second so the block gets sucked into my inventory but then I have to put more water down and repeat. Is there a faster way to do this?

I wanted to build a tunnel but it ends up straight in a lava pool and I wanted to mine the lava away and get a shitload of obsidian but it wouldn't be worth it with the way I am doing it now.

Turn all of the top layer to obsidian.
Dig around the edges of the lava pool.
Pour in water when you break through to lava.
Harvest sides, pouring water the second you break through.
Repeat (slowly).

Or just make a bunch of buckets and take lava directly out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Flood it, dig out obsidian, lava turns to obsidian before it can spread or burn obsidian blocks.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
If you dig one tile down, and place water in the 1x1x1 hole you made in the ground, you can then dig out that entire level for like 8 blocks in all directions and the water will douse any adjacent lava before you hit it.

Basically what pseudorandom name said, but it'll give you a place to stand instead of having the water push you around while you try to dig.

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

1.8 looks awesome. As soon as it comes out, I'm going to start a new world and roleplay as a caveman named Ug.

Ug, being stupid, can only use sticks as weapons, and leather as armor. :black101:

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010

Blarghalt posted:

1.8 looks awesome. As soon as it comes out, I'm going to start a new world and roleplay as a caveman named Ug.

Ug, being stupid, can only use sticks as weapons, and leather as armor. :black101:

So Ug is smart enough to sew leather together but too dumb to make stone tools? 0.o

I'm probably going to do the same...well as far as creating a new world and messing around, but I'm definitely going to keep a version of 1.7 around to fuddle with until 1.8 is playable.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

So, will seeds like gargamel and chozo generate the same starting area?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I highly doubt it, given that biome code appears to have been almost totally rewritten.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Discovering the cool new seeds is one of the things I'm really looking forward to.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Dear toggle: I just finished playing The Return after seeing the Yogs start their playthrough. I loved Burgmund and Tree of Life but hadn't played them myself so I figured I might as well play the last one before I see it all. I loved this one even more. I loved the locations you created and the storyline was really great too. Wonderful tie-ins to the last maps. The part at the end inside Burgmund where you see fleeting images of the past was really cool. It was also fun blowing him up then turning to leap off only to have the ground under me explode because a random TNT flew in my direction.

Great job. I also managed to find all 31 diamonds on my first try! Fantastic map, thank you.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Jeb or somebody is on record saying that you'll get discontinuities with newly generated chunks in old worlds, so the world generation algorithm is sufficiently different that old seeds won't work.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

I'm gonna miss the old Archespore map. That was my go-to for amazing terrain. I should probably make a copy of it just to have around.

Rack
Aug 5, 2003

I've misunderstood what a lion is.

Grimey Drawer

HYMEN.SYS posted:

I'm going to need visual confirmation of ghasts in minecarts.

Well, "in" minecarts isn't quite the right term, but yeah.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Rack posted:

Well, "in" minecarts isn't quite the right term, but yeah.

Animal cruelty ):.

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

Thanks for the input, Jeff!

Read posted:

Animal cruelty ):.

Nothing is too cruel for ghasts, gently caress them forever.

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

chippy posted:

Every individual feature in Minecraft should have an on/off toggle in the options so I can tailor my gaming experience exactly to my own pernickity demands, just like other games do. :psyduck:

Very few games start off without hunger meters and then get hunger meters patched in

I don't really like hunger meters in any game. Managing them isn't really fun to me and I doubt a game could ever actually make it fun.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

FirePhoenix posted:

I'm gonna miss the old Archespore map. That was my go-to for amazing terrain. I should probably make a copy of it just to have around.

You could just keep a copy of the 1.7.3 jar file around for times when you are feeling nostalgia.

Jesto
Dec 22, 2004

Balls.
Nevermind.

Jesto fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Oct 1, 2014

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

FirePhoenix posted:

Dear toggle: I just finished playing The Return after seeing the Yogs start their playthrough. I loved Burgmund and Tree of Life but hadn't played them myself so I figured I might as well play the last one before I see it all. I loved this one even more. I loved the locations you created and the storyline was really great too. Wonderful tie-ins to the last maps. The part at the end inside Burgmund where you see fleeting images of the past was really cool. It was also fun blowing him up then turning to leap off only to have the ground under me explode because a random TNT flew in my direction.

Great job. I also managed to find all 31 diamonds on my first try! Fantastic map, thank you.

Thanks, glad you liked it. :)

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Jesto posted:

In the Yogscast's playthrough of The Return, at about 8:40, Lewis is staring up at a giant painting of a tree above some chests that had references to Burgmond in them.

The middle painting bit was much darker than the painting parts on it's left and right.

Please tell me I'm wrong and it wasn't a very obvious secret passage that Lewis somehow managed to overlook. :psyduck: What's behind that painting? Is Burgmond hiding in there?

I'm fairly sure it's just darker because it's one block further away from the torches to either side of the painting. Though I have to admit I would have tried to go through it just in case.

Fishylungs
Jan 12, 2008

Notgothic posted:

Nothing is too cruel for ghasts, gently caress them forever.

The first time I saw one I was in awe.

About the tenth I wanted them to gently caress off and die, I was trying to make my way in the nether.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Fishylungs posted:

About the tenth I wanted them to gently caress off and die, I was trying to make my way in the nether.

Makin' your way in the nether today
Sure can take a lot
Dealing with all those loving ghasts
Takes everything you've got
Wouldn't ya like to get away?

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

Thanks for the input, Jeff!

Fishylungs posted:

When I was first trying to build a nether-passage I thought ghast-bombs could blow up everything; when I found out there was a damage threshold I made it my mission to build a bunch of stone tubes through the air, with plenty of windows so I could point and laugh.

Oh, what's that Mr. Ghast? Hurt me? You'll have to speak up, I can't quite hear you through my IMPENETRABLE WALLS :D

Notgothic fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Sep 9, 2011

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
It looks like there's just one more glitch to go before we see 1.8, based on Jens' last couple of tweets. This is Mojang though, so we could be looking at a few more weeks. Who loving knows?

RhysD
Feb 7, 2009

Bust it!

toggle posted:

Thanks, glad you liked it. :)

The amount of people on the Yogscast video, proudly explaining you must have made the notes on the maps by actually crafting giant letters in minecraft.... is.....I'm not quite sure what to say...hahahaha!

quote:

@skaterunknown4ever Thats actually how it was done believe it or not. with the single player commands mod you can clear an area, fill it with sand then fly over it and click point to point and lay down whole paths of dirt at a time. That would be how it turns up like that on a map.

PaintballSniper17 1 hour ago

:ughh:

RhysD fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Sep 9, 2011

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Wasn't the patch supposed to hit today?

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
Hunger is a cool concept, except that most games do a really, really, really lovely job of implementing it.

*Your hunger meter is down to 5%*

*You drink seven colas and eat five turkeys and four dozen boxes of donuts*

*Your hunger meter rises to 55%*

I'm hoping that just one or two porkchops fills the meters... although, then again, this is Notch we're talking about...

vvv
edit in response to the guy below me:
I should have said "hunger is a cool concept for a survival game"

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Sep 9, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Polo-Rican posted:

Hunger is a cool concept, except that most games do a really, really, really lovely job of implementing it.

Enlighten me: why is implementing something which is already kind of a pain in the rear end in real life a cool concept?

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

Polo-Rican posted:

I'm hoping that just one or two porkchops fills the meters... although, then again, this is Notch we're talking about...

Please please please don't start this poo poo again. There's at least one whole page of inane bickering about it in this thread already. If you don't like it there will be a mod to eliminate or improve it almost immediately. It's that simple.

e: too late :ughh:

Mezmerized Machine
Dec 29, 2008

change my name posted:

Originally, yeah. But it's been pushed back to monday at the earliest.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Polo-Rican posted:

Haha, notch is fat. I get it.

YHWH
May 17, 2011
:gb2gbs:

ASK ME ABOUT BUYING A PEANUTS AVATAR IN AN ATTEMPT TO PRETEND TO BE AN FYAD

change my name posted:

I thought yesterday... it sounds like no one knows. And if it's not today: RIP, secret Friday updates. :smith:

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Contemplating the suckiness of people since 1982

Archduke posted:

I thought yesterday... it sounds like no one knows. And if it's not today: RIP, secret Friday updates. :smith:

I'm pretty sure they gave up on updating at the end of the week because of the awful post-patch-fest that ensues after every friday update causing notch to have to come in on the weekend.

Plus Jeb posted the other day its sloted for the 12th, a monday.

Pucklynn
Sep 8, 2010

chop chop chop

FidgetyRat posted:

I'm pretty sure they gave up on updating at the end of the week because of the awful post-patch-fest that ensues after every friday update causing notch to have to come in on the weekend.

Plus Jeb posted the other day its sloted for the 12th, a monday.

Don't most companies do a Tuesday patch specifically because of post-patch fixes that need to be done? I'm surprise Mojang doesn't do the same.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Mr Scumbag posted:

Please please please don't start this poo poo again. There's at least one whole page of inane bickering about it in this thread already. If you don't like it there will be a mod to eliminate or improve it almost immediately. It's that simple.

e: too late :ughh:

It's slightly better than the "death should have no penalties/death should make a chest for your things/LAVA BAD" debate the thread became for a couple days.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Jeb said on twitter within the last week "we don't release on fridays". Then something about monday the 12th.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Enlighten me: why is implementing something which is already kind of a pain in the rear end in real life a cool concept?

There are certainly two schools of thought at play here. I only like hunger systems in survival based games like Fallout, but Minecraft has many similarities to that. In real life most of us internet dwellers live in a position of enough privelege that we don't need to worry about actually wasting away and starving to death, so the idea of scrounging for food in hostile territory is a far cry from our dull everyday life. In most modern games your environment isn't really worth checking or exploring thoroughly because game devs don't always like to deny people really good content by hiding poo poo in obscure locations. The food and component-driven weapon or armor upgrade systems you see in a lot of modern games are ways to reward the player for exploration without outright denying them something like a badass rocket launcher just because they didn't check for a hidden safe under desk #495599019.

That said, I can totally understand why these systems are a bore and a drain to people. Not everyone is totally in love with the idea of NEEDING to explore everything just to find food to refill a meter. In my opinion this needs to be handled in a way similar to the way New Vegas handles it, with a hardcore checkbox enabling the option for those who want to deal with it and disabling it for those who don't.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Polo-Rican posted:

vvv
edit in response to the guy below me:
I should have said "hunger is a cool concept for a survival game"

I'm assuming the food will heal an equivalent amount of hunger as it did hearts before the update, basing this solely on both bars looking about the same length. I'm sure you can still walk around with a stack of cooked pork chops, mushroom stew, or cake and be fine.

Pucklynn
Sep 8, 2010

chop chop chop
I like that he's both implemented a system that requires porkchops to survive, AND made the pigs run away from you now.

kas
Sep 9, 2003
I am a snoot.

As is my understanding, right now, hunger bar empties about 6/10 of the entire bar each game day, food restores about the same amount of hunger bar that it used to heal, when your hunger bar is full, you regenerate about half a heart every 4 seconds or so, eating requires you to sit there unable to move or do anything else for about 3-4 seconds each food item, and food sources all basically require farming, or run away from you now when you try and attack them.

In practice, it appears to be not very fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Pucklynn posted:

I like that he's both implemented a system that requires porkchops to survive, AND made the pigs run away from you now.

Build a pig trap. Hole two blocks deep, force pigs in and slaughter them when they can't escape. Alternatively, you could just dig the dirt out from underneath them.