Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009

IAmTheRad posted:

I'll bother with the blinding boots of speed. I know from Oblivion that Bretons (which I'll be playing) aren't completely screwed due to their innate magic resistance by the boots.
Once you get those, if you make a spell or enchant an item to give you 100% magic resist for 1 second, it should completely negate the blindness effect you get when you put the boots on. Quite highly recommended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I forgot to point out that I'll also be using the Morrowind Code Patch and the unofficial patch. That's the furthest from vanilla I'll be running for my first real gameplay (back in the day I only went to Balmora, then quit really)

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
There is a bug with a sidequest fairly early in Detroit, given by a undercover cop hooker, where you need to bust or help a dirty cop. One part of the sidequest involves killing 5 members of the gang and killing or optionally knocking out a guy they're protecting. Have a lot of saves before you take the mission and/or heading towards there, because one of these 5 dudes can get stuck inside a wall somewhere and the whole sidequest thus becomes unfinishable. It's pretty annoying, so make sure it doesn't happen to you.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

pigdog posted:

There is a bug with a sidequest fairly early in Detroit, given by a undercover cop hooker, where you need to bust or help a dirty cop. One part of the sidequest involves killing 5 members of the gang and killing or optionally knocking out a guy they're protecting. Have a lot of saves before you take the mission and/or heading towards there, because one of these 5 dudes can get stuck inside a wall somewhere and the whole sidequest thus becomes unfinishable. It's pretty annoying, so make sure it doesn't happen to you.

Yeah it happened to me. Apparently some of the guys you have to kill spawn when you first leave Sarif out into Detroit, and some spawn when the quest starts, and it's the ones who spawn first who get glitched, so some recommend immediately killing them upon leaving Sarif, before you get the quest and they have a chance to glitch. Not sure if this is really worth the bother but it seems to be the only way to 100% for sure avoid the glitch.

Warren
Aug 9, 2009

What the-
Anything on Etrian Odyssey III? I just started and I've gotten my rear end handed to me really god drat hard. Just got to the second floor but I'm only level 7 and I have a tendency to die to the giant green bird.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Does it matter in which order I play the Guild Wars trilogy, for plot or gameplay reasons? The settings of the second and third just seem more appealing and I'd like to skip ahead if there's no real reason not to.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Rollersnake posted:

Does it matter in which order I play the Guild Wars trilogy, for plot or gameplay reasons? The settings of the second and third just seem more appealing and I'd like to skip ahead if there's no real reason not to.

Seeing as your character will be able to travel between campaigns, you can just skip ahead and the other campaigns when you feel like it. Start with nightfall, since it's the most newbie-friendly campaign.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Civ 5? Never played a Civ game before and just bought this on the Steam sale.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

CelestialScribe posted:

Civ 5? Never played a Civ game before and just bought this on the Steam sale.

It's pretty easy to pick up. Start on very low difficulty to understand how the game plays, maybe set it so you're on your own continent so you don't have the other civs coming up and sticking their dick in your ear.

Maritime city states are awesome because they give you more food, and more food means more population, which means more research, gold, and production.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Civ 5

-The AI is hard-coded to declare war on you, sooner or later, if you expand into "their" territory. This generally means that if you see something nice next to them and settle to claim it, you'll have trouble later. It's similar to how in vanilla Civ 4, a civilization with a different religion was destined to one day hate you so much they'd go to war, guaranteed. If you're afraid of stepping on toes, go for a compact Civilization rather than trying to set up borders as far as you can get away with.

-Combine this with the fact that the AI is really bad at breaking through a strong choke-point(mountains!) and the fact that eventually they will throw gifts at you to end a losing war(emphasis on eventually, decline bad or neutral offers until it happens) and this can be profitable.

-If you are afraid of losing wars and getting pushed around, play China and keep a Great General around for his ability to generate a Citadel. With proper unit cover, a Citadel will never be dislodged by anything a computer player can do in early warfare, where you've got the most to fear from a too-strong early bully.

-You don't need to build roads to connect resources! As a long-time Civ 4 player, this plagued me for several games...

-And if you want to immediately ruin any sense of balance among leaders and spoil the game for yourself, play as Alexander and butter up as many city-states as you can. Your Civilization will accelerate wildly after the first few food or culture bonuses. Combo this with the City State Diplomacy mod and you'll forget what it's like to lose. Also amazing to see somebody start a war with you and get savagely reamed by your 7 best friends.

-City State Diplomacy is itself a pretty great mod though, bringing back the sort of Diplomat units from Civ 4 that seem to have gone missing.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

WarringPhoenix posted:

Anything on Etrian Odyssey III? I just started and I've gotten my rear end handed to me really god drat hard. Just got to the second floor but I'm only level 7 and I have a tendency to die to the giant green bird.

It's a hard series as you can pretty much tell already. Have you played any of the previous games? What is your class line up? I only ask to see if you're familiar with the general flow of the game when it comes to your classes, difficulty curve, mini map system, and dealing with crushing defeat.

The key to these games are to abuse shortcuts on the map, boss weaknesses, buffs & debuffs, gearing up, and having a ton of real life luck. If you're on the map always make sure you have a quick way back to town. Additionally you will want to explore every wall or dead-end for the shortcuts.

When you reach a new stratum don't feel obligated to rush things. Don't sit on your mana, blow through it and treat new enemies as real threats (many times they will be). You're going to make a few trips back & forth, and once you feel comfortable you can start pushing deeper & deeper. Ideally on a new floor you'll want to kill as many monsters for their loot as you can carry or before you start faltering in mana; this way you can start creating new gear whenever possible. Another good practice is to kill monster in certain ways for their rare loot. Some are more obvious, others require things you would not normally do (like only using a certain elemental spell and nothing else, or waiting for them to use an attack before you do anything).

Treat FOEs (those orbs on your map) as bosses. Don't mess with them if you can help it. Once you've completed a stratum or two you should be able to handle them without too much fuss. Alternatively you could always cheese them by looking at guides and find out their weaknesses. They typically drop loot that always unlocks weapons or gimmicky items.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

WarringPhoenix posted:

To add to what the burger said, those birds in particular are hard as gently caress when you first get to the second floor, but will almost always appear in battles during the day. Wait until it's nighttime before you head up there, and retreat to town when the sun rears its head.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

WarringPhoenix posted:

Come on over to the thread! A couple of us just started/re-started the game, and we're all using spoiler tags (at least on the last couple pages), so don't worry about wandering in and hating yourself for it.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

pigdog posted:

Even if you kill/knock out the guys protecting the dude beforehand things can still be buggy. I did so, not knowing there was going to be a quest there later, and all sorts of weird crap happened, like for example the two guys standing next to each other on the other side of the breakable wall in the bedroom area. I had already broken the wall there, and when I went to do the double takedown, suddenly we were all warped into the kitchen, where I was stuck inside of the cabinets taking those dudes down. I'd recommend using a gun for that part, if only to not encounter the same glitch.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I'm going to buy Dead Island today, anything I should know?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Doomykins posted:

-You don't need to build roads to connect resources! As a long-time Civ 4 player, this plagued me for several games...

Could you clarify, because I'm pretty sure you still have to do that.

ArchRanger
Mar 19, 2007
I'm tired of following my dreams, I'm just gonna ask where they're goin' and meet up with 'em there.

flatluigi posted:

Could you clarify, because I'm pretty sure you still have to do that.

No, the only thing you need roads for in Civ5 is to connect cities. If I've got a surplus of gold and am playing defensively I like to build a few more roads near my borders to help fend off invading armies, but even that's usually not necessary.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Tekken 6? Including online?

Bought it on a whim since it was cheap and I'm getting back into fighting games lately. I like the idea of customizing your dude but everything seems so expensive I'd have to play a billion times to get a hat.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Tekken 6? Including online?

Bought it on a whim since it was cheap and I'm getting back into fighting games lately. I like the idea of customizing your dude but everything seems so expensive I'd have to play a billion times to get a hat.

How to get good at Tekken 101:

#1. Get used to holding your controller with your right palm against the controller and your index and middle finger over square and X (x/a for 360) with your former and triangle and circle (y/b on 360) with the latter.

#2. Learn Tekken notation: 1, 2, 3, 4 are square x, triangle, o, (X, A, Y, B) The rest is obvious, u is up, d is down, etc. If it's bold it means hold the button, if it's normal just tap it.

#3. Pick a character you think is cool, look up combo (juggle, for tekken) videos on youtube, practice doing the inputs (pretty much always in the description or in the credits) until you can do them reliably. Watch a few high level matchups from evo.

#4. Take like 20 online matches to understand character spacing, basically be competitively decent and tear up scrubs.

#5. If you're playing online with a headset make sure to always mention Morton's Salt when you win.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I've actually got a stick I bought for mvc3 and third strike online, but thank ye. Are there any particular characters that have good strike "catch" moves like Jin had in T3? I don't really know how to describe it other than it being the same thing as DOA where you catch incoming strikes and turn them into a throw.

So far I've just been scrubbin it up with steve fox and eddy gordo.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I couldn't see anything on the wiki, but does anyone have any hints for Caesar 3? It's not the first time I've played it, but it has been a decade since I played it on my crappy old desktop and I've forgotten everything I ever liked about it...

I am so crap at it, I can't even get past the second level. All my population seem to be leaving me at the drop of a hat, and every time I try and build something to attract them, I don't have enough population to staff the theatres/temples I build to make them happy.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Oh man, its been ages since I played Caesar 3... Its the last of the series that didn't have roadblocks for walkers right?

Learn to manage your walkers, design your districts with as few intersections as possible. All the roads do not have to be interconnected either, a thing I used to do was build self-contained housing loops that had all the services they needed walking on an inner road passing all the houses. Something like this hastily drawn crap:

Also, setup trade with other cities for raw materials you can use to craft into finished goods to trade away for money. You pretty much need trade to sustain your economy.

I hope GoG.com gets Pharaoh+Cleopatra that was my favorite of the series and I miss it.

serling
Aug 25, 2005

Arx Fatalis.

I know about the game breaking bugs, but I was wondering if there were any mods or updates I should grab a hold of to improve how the game runs?

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee

serling posted:

Arx Fatalis.

I know about the game breaking bugs, but I was wondering if there were any mods or updates I should grab a hold of to improve how the game runs?

You do know about the latest (1.21) patch, right? It was only released this January.

serling
Aug 25, 2005

CrookedB posted:

You do know about the latest (1.21) patch, right? It was only released this January.

I just used the steam version and assumed everything would be up to date.

CrookedB
Jun 27, 2011

Stupid newbee

serling posted:

I just used the steam version and assumed everything would be up to date.

Yeah, the Steam version was updated right after the patch was released. And apart from that, I don't really think you need anything.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Any useful tips for Dynasty Warriors 7?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Ulio posted:

Try to unlock the weapons in conquest mode, the ones with the "<weapon type> master" seal as soon as you can. The sword and the halberd is absolutely sexy on just about everyone, the former has good combos and the latter turns you into Lu Bu.

I prefer to always have the officer assassin seal on my weapons and synergy as well, but that's in the eye of the beholder.

Battle for Supremacy is THE place to grind character sp.

Get a buddy and co-op. This makes the game more fun and reduces the time it takes to max out characters.

If the character has an innate <weapon type> master ability, get it ASAP as that will make them much more effective in battle.

Lu Bu is still tank.

Certain weapons can only be unlocked if you have smithing. Only three characters in the game have this ability: Guo Huai, Lu Meng, and Zhuge Liang. In order to buy the weapons, you gotta do it in a town while playing as one of them and obviously having the ability unlocked.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Scientastic posted:

I couldn't see anything on the wiki, but does anyone have any hints for Caesar 3? It's not the first time I've played it, but it has been a decade since I played it on my crappy old desktop and I've forgotten everything I ever liked about it...

I am so crap at it, I can't even get past the second level. All my population seem to be leaving me at the drop of a hat, and every time I try and build something to attract them, I don't have enough population to staff the theatres/temples I build to make them happy.

Make sure you have enough food and water and poo poo and once you're past the first couple missions, for the love of god, balance your jobs/population so you don't have over ~8% unemployment. If your unemployment is higher than that then your people will get pissed, steal all your money, you'll go into debt, Caesar will get mad at you, and then he'll burn your city to the ground.

On mission 2 you probably don't have to worry about that, though.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Oh yeah I forgot, always equip a sworn ally when you can. Maxing out loyalty is part of a couple of achievements and helps out quite a bit in battles.

Finish Battle for Supremacy asap as you can then use the Red Hare, by far the fastest way to travel in this game.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Sep 12, 2011

Warren
Aug 9, 2009

What the-

Ulio posted:

- If your going to play story mode, keep in mind that most characters you play as will most likely die the very mission they are introduced.
- When you start playing as a new character in Story mode, pause immediately and go to their skills. based on where you are in the story, you will have Sp to spend. Late game, this means you can max everyone out from the get go. If you play as a character you have not played in a while, this also applies to them.
- In Conquest, you'll find Legendary Battle tiles. Beat them completely and you will unlock the character.
- Though it is a pain sometimes, always max out a weapon's skill. Especially Movement Speed.
- Weapon skills like Movement Speed and SP Up stack, so be sure to have SP Up on both weapons your character is using.
- Pronunciation of names are they way they are supposed to be now. This may be a little jarring.
- The last Twin Sword is gotten via 100% all of the Scholar's questions. Have fun.
- You can buy Bodyguards in towns when the Merchant is in town. This let's you raise their loyalty a little and then you can make them a Sworn Ally in time.
- Lu-Bu can be pursued fairly early I've noted. This might be me, but I took him down at the Battle of Shi Sui gate.
- Find a weapon style you enjoy and stick with it. Almost every character can equip all the weapons, Gender Specific's aside, and with the Weapon Mastery for them you can run around using Flying Swords with everyone.
- Switching weapons mid combo produces some interesting effects, but I never found it useful enough to keep doing.
- You can buy a Pet that will follow you into battle. They include horses for just riding around (I found that two movement skills were more than enough), a tiger, a bear, and other various animal's that will join you in battle.
- You can ride the bear. It is amazing.
- You can change the song of the battle in the Pause Menu. Find a track you love and jam away as you shove sharp pointy objects into everyone.

Warren fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Sep 12, 2011

jvempire
May 10, 2009
I appear to have Viewtiful Joe 2. Should I try and track down Viewtiful Joe 1 before playing its sequel?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

jvempire posted:

I appear to have Viewtiful Joe 2. Should I try and track down Viewtiful Joe 1 before playing its sequel?

Yes. Both games are quite excellent and are well worth owning.

Bo-Pepper
Sep 9, 2002

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Fun Shoe
I recently started knocking around Borderlands again. I never finished it the first time I played it. Back then all I had was vanilla. Now I have all the expansions from some random Steam sale.

Could someone please remind me the suggested levels (if any) for the expansions? Any ones worth hitting first? Anything one should know going into them that would be different from the basic game?

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Bo-Pepper posted:

I recently started knocking around Borderlands again. I never finished it the first time I played it. Back then all I had was vanilla. Now I have all the expansions from some random Steam sale.

Could someone please remind me the suggested levels (if any) for the expansions? Any ones worth hitting first? Anything one should know going into them that would be different from the basic game?

Moxxi you can do any time, everything else should wait until after the story. Do them in order (Zombie Isle, Knoxx, Claptrap) and everything should scale just fine.

Just make sure you have a Flame or Explosive weapon for Zombie Isle. The first time through all my party's good weapons were Corrosive, which don't work so well on zombies.

e. I thought the expansions were well-paced, and I didn't quite complete PT2 before I started Zombie Isle the first time. A swarm of zombies (, Lance, or Claptraps) will take you down pretty quickly but go down like chumps with a good weapon.

bbcisdabomb fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Sep 12, 2011

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Anything I should know about Disgaea 4? I've played a couple of the Disgaea games before, so I know the basics and such. Anything specific to this game?

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Dead Island

DE:HR

I seem to never have ammo. Pickups give me in the range of 2 rounds. Also, I'm stuck as poo poo at the first encounter with a robot in the FEMA camp.

Dead Island:

Doing my SP game or online coops, all I can find for weapons is lovely paddles/planks/what have you. Where do I find something that does damage and doesn't break in three swings?

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

StealthArcher posted:

Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Dead Island

I seem to never have ammo. Pickups give me in the range of 2 rounds. Also, I'm stuck as poo poo at the first encounter with a robot in the FEMA camp.

There's an EMP grenade laying around somewhere nearby, get it close and destroy it. Also, (if you've given up on that) If you can get partially across the room, or have the strength augment, hop under those raised platforms, you can use vents to bypass that entire room and sneak on by.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

StealthArcher posted:

There's at least three paths through the room. You can:

a.) Go left and use a crate to hop over the pipes inside the unfinished holding cells, take the rocket launcher and the assortment of ammo packs and sneak along the wall and through the door on the ground floor.
b.) If you have the heavy lifting aug, slip under the closer raised platform and move the large metal crate to reveal a vent. The ducts go next to the rocket launcher table in the unfinished cells and under the other raised platform on the far side of the room. The door is closer, but you can make it up the open stairs without being seen too.
c.) Just go right from the start and up the stairwell, dodging underneath the cameras on each of the landings. You can bypass the guards and get through the blockade on the catwalks by heavy lifting another metal container out of the way, leaving through the control room.

I never have problems with ammo, myself. Do you have prolonged firefights with everything that moves?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

scamtank posted:

I never have problems with ammo, myself. Do you have prolonged firefights with everything that moves?

Mostly just with the tranq rifle. The pistol puts people down quick enough, but playing pacifist is nearly impossible with the 1 spare ammo I got for the TR in the first mission.