Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
johndis
Jun 23, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Crysis 2 was great you guys :frogbon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Speedball posted:

The Bloodrayne demo is pretty fun, I gotta say. Anyone play the full version give us some feedback?

From reviews it seems like it's basically the same thing the entire time. That's why I passed.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

Speedball posted:

The Bloodrayne demo is pretty fun, I gotta say. Anyone play the full version give us some feedback?

Where in the game does the demo end at?

There are some tough platforming sections and bosses. Other than that, it's a standard 2D hack-n-slash platform game. It's not a "metroidvania" game. The game is good, but there is very little replay value after the game is finished. It's not worth $15. Get it on sale if you like these types of games.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

From reviews it seems like it's basically the same thing the entire time. That's why I passed.

That's kind of bullshit. It doesn't suddenly become a new genre but each level is designed pretty differently and has different obstacles and such. You don't get many new weapons or abilities (only two) but the levels are markedly different. It's the 'same the whole way through' in the same way that like, Castlevania or Ninja Gaiden or Strider is.

It doesn't really have replay value unless you enjoy score attacks tho'.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Sep 10, 2011

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Yechezkel posted:

The game is good, but there is very little replay value after the game is finished.
It's $15, who cares if it has replay value. The only games most people bother replaying anyways are big RPGs (or Metroidvanias) - and not every character-driven game has to be an RPG, and not every side scroller has to be a Metroidvania.

The question is more - is it fun for those (however many hours). That's the useful bit.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Sep 10, 2011

Fozzie Bear
Jun 4, 2000

Rockin' out at the god damn bank

Feenix posted:

Crosspost from R3 thread (which is dead, hence the crosspost):

So for all the poo poo I talked about the MP beta, ( I wouldn't know about the final product since I rented and there's not even a trial online pass...) and I thought Resistance 2 sucked butt... I gotta say just about EVERYTHING about R3's campaign is divine! Great graphics and art, good tone, WEAPON WHEEL, plenty of ammo, and giving you lots to play with upfront.

Anyone who hated R2 (or even R3's MP) needs to give this a shot. It's satisfying... And lovingly crafted.

Does it have online co-op modes again? If so, I'll probably pick this up next time I am at the store, if not, I'll wait for a GOTY or greatest hit version

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Fozzie Bear posted:

Does it have online co-op modes again? If so, I'll probably pick this up next time I am at the store, if not, I'll wait for a GOTY or greatest hit version

Yeah, it has story co-op again. The weird thing about it though is apparently the story doesn't acknowledge the second player at all other than one bit at the very beginning.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Parkingtigers posted:

There's a goon in this thread playing The Saboteur, stuck on the time trial.

I'm not stuck on it anymore. I got the Aurora, and I finally managed to beat it with less than a second to spare. Someone should put up a video or something because I have no idea why it's so easy for you guys and why it was so difficult for me.

Now I keep having problems with my game freezing. It's happened three times during story missions. :(

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Changing the game difficulty gives you more time in that trial.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Well I just found a gamebreaking glitch in No More Heroes. During Dark Star's motorcycle sequence, I hit a box, and instead of spazzing out of control for a second and then regaining it, I completely fell off the bike and was forced to go into combat mode with my katana, similar to what happens in Bad Girl's stage.

I ran along and got hit by one of the enemy biker's flame attacks, and that instantly spawned me back on the bike, turned in the opposite direction and stuck in a never-ending "Oh God i'm on fire" animation.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

I just got Saboteur thanks to you jerks. Hope it's as fun as everyone says.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

Well I just found a gamebreaking glitch in No More Heroes. During Dark Star's motorcycle sequence, I hit a box, and instead of spazzing out of control for a second and then regaining it, I completely fell off the bike and was forced to go into combat mode with my katana, similar to what happens in Bad Girl's stage.

I ran along and got hit by one of the enemy biker's flame attacks, and that instantly spawned me back on the bike, turned in the opposite direction and stuck in a never-ending "Oh God i'm on fire" animation.

Your avatar somehow is incredibly appropriate for this.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

Changing the game difficulty gives you more time in that trial.

Well that explains a lot.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

ImpAtom posted:

Your avatar somehow is incredibly appropriate for this.

I realized that after you said it. Ghost Rider - Good for any occasion!

In other news:

Platinum trophy number six. No More Heroes was no match for me. :rock:

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Sorry for the double post, but this is just getting ridiculous now. Final Fantasy XIII-3? Really Square?

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/09/09/square-enix-planning-ahead-for-final-fantasy-xiii-3.aspx

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Jamesman posted:

I'm not stuck on it anymore. I got the Aurora, and I finally managed to beat it with less than a second to spare. Someone should put up a video or something because I have no idea why it's so easy for you guys and why it was so difficult for me.

Now I keep having problems with my game freezing. It's happened three times during story missions. :(

That unfortunately will happen, the game is buggy, and Pandemic were fired as soon as the game went gold, so the game couldn't be patched. Worth all the headaches though, it's just a shame they all lost their jobs on the eve of their best release.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

TaurusOxford posted:

Sorry for the double post, but this is just getting ridiculous now. Final Fantasy XIII-3? Really Square?

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/09/09/square-enix-planning-ahead-for-final-fantasy-xiii-3.aspx
They made a whole novelization series I think (or were going to) about the story post FF13. FF13-2 is one such chapter, so I would imagine FF13-3 would be the next.

Maybe Sanders can illuminate, but I think Lightning is the most popular FF character in Japan (maybe since Cloud)?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Harlock posted:

Maybe Sanders can illuminate, but I think Lightning is the most popular FF character in Japan (maybe since Cloud)?

Oh there's a shock. Cloud with boobs is popular in Japan.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

TaurusOxford posted:

Final Fantasy 13 was very successful for Square-Enix. They are playing it safe right now with their games; S-E does not want to take risks and believes that the FFXIII series is a very safe return on their investment currently. They can make quite a bit if money on making this into a multiple game series.

Of course if XIII-2 turns out to not do well, then you won't see 13-3.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

BMB5150 posted:

This Resistance is from the main studio in Burbank. The Raleigh studio is working on the Ratchet and Clank game right now. I also fear that this may be a bit short unless when you get to New York there is hours more of gameplay from where I'm at and going into the tower making the wormhole.

Yeah, I figured as much with the Studios. There were different people in charge though according to wikipedia, so that's probably why.

Also I just finished it and I was right, way too short. Game needs about 4-8 hours more to it. My playtime was 7 hours 43 minutes and I combed most of the levels looking for intel, so it can probably easily be done in 7 if you hurry a bit. It was really awesome though, albeit the Half-Life 2 vibes were pretty drat strong (granted that's not necessarily bad). The game also has a ton of trophies (59) that are all in the campaign, so there's some argument for playing through it a few times if you're not into the multiplayer.

At any rate it's a great rental just for the campaign alone.

Edit: gently caress, I need a lot more credit points to buy all the behind the scenes videos...

Brightman fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Sep 10, 2011

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Brightman posted:

Yeah, I figured as much with the Studios. There were different people in charge though according to wikipedia, so that's probably why.

Also I just finished it and I was right, way too short. Game needs about 4-8 hours more to it. My playtime was 7 hours 43 minutes and I combed most of the levels looking for intel, so it can probably easily be done in 7 if you hurry a bit. It was really awesome though, albeit the Half-Life 2 vibes were pretty drat strong (granted that's not necessarily bad). The game also has a ton of trophies (59) that are all in the campaign, so there's some argument for playing through it a few times if you're not into the multiplayer.

At any rate it's a great rental just for the campaign alone.

Edit: gently caress, I need a lot more credit points to buy all the behind the scenes videos...

I finished it earlier and zipped through it in 6 and half hours. Probably play through it on easy to get some of the trophies for the movies. Even though the game seems influenced by Half Life 2, I would say it ma it better.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
The NA release of From Dust has been pushed up to this upcoming Tuesday, if anyone cares.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Jamesman posted:

Well that explains a lot.

Not really. When I beat the time trial in the Dugatti yesterday, I was on the hardest difficulty level. :smug: I honestly don't know what to say, normally I'm terrible at racing games. Only when it's a sandbox game do I suddenly gain any sort of skill whatsoever.

And ChiaPet, you are going to have a blast. Embrace it for the gloriously two-fisted B-movie experience that it is.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

BMB5150 posted:

This Resistance is from the main studio in Burbank. The Raleigh studio is working on the Ratchet and Clank game right now. I also fear that this may be a bit short unless when you get to New York there is hours more of gameplay from where I'm at and going into the tower making the wormhole.

Yeah, you've got more. New York and the bit beyond is easily the hardest part of the game. I hate that I did the guide for that game. I simply can't look at it anymore; I'm utterly disgusted by the sight of it.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

SamBishop posted:

Yeah, you've got more. New York and the bit beyond is easily the hardest part of the game. I hate that I did the guide for that game. I simply can't look at it anymore; I'm utterly disgusted by the sight of it.

Hmmm... wasn't too much of a problem for me, but you were probably on a harder difficulty than me. I can understand it becoming a pain when where loving everything is either a) a rocket launching hybrid or b)one of those leaping hybrids with a sniper rifle (and not to mention the 3 stalkers and 2 goliaths up your rear end at the end of New York.) Sometimes I was amazed that I made it out alive and only once died in the same area twice (and that area wasn't the place it was just a little bit later on).

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Parkingtigers posted:

Not really. When I beat the time trial in the Dugatti yesterday, I was on the hardest difficulty level. :smug: I honestly don't know what to say, normally I'm terrible at racing games. Only when it's a sandbox game do I suddenly gain any sort of skill whatsoever.

I guess it's all a moot point now since I beat it, but I still wonder what I was doing so wrong to make it so much more difficult on my self. I was doing my absolute best. :(

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
OK, I think I'm giving up on Saboteur. It was fun for a while, but now it's turned into some serious bullshit combined with some serious bugs.

I'm on this one mission that's annoyingly long, and now I'm in the part where I'm riding in the gunner turret of a truck that's being driven by the worst AI while being chased by a shitload of nazis, and I have to shoot them and prevent he truck from being blown up. Will, the bullet spread is annoying large, the truck swerves all over the place so I can't keep my sights on the enemy vehicles, and the damage being dealt to the truck is absurd (probably on account of the difficulty setting). I can't beat it.

To top it off, an NPC is apparently located nearby all this carnage and is sometimes getting killed by the nazis, which instantly fails the mission for me. There's nothing I can do to stop them or anything since I'm on rails and I can't even see him or anything. It's just "THIS GUY DIED YOU FAILED" which is loving great.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Jamesman posted:

OK, I think I'm giving up on Saboteur. It was fun for a while, but now it's turned into some serious bullshit combined with some serious bugs.
Whenever this happens too often, just blow off missions for a while and go sneak around strangling Gestapo. If you try and power through the missions, you WILL get irritated, as they're fairly hit and miss. The world, however, is almost always fun.

KitFez
Sep 5, 2011

Personally, I prefer the air!
I'm beginning to lose my patience with Just Cause 2 as well. Having to do a thousand and one menial tasks to unlock the next mission is beyond tedious, especially when no individual thing I do seem to have any impact on the unlock bar.

Does The Saboteur get any more interesting than "start with the whole place in black and white, then slowly complete missions so it's in colour again"? That's all I really gleaned from it, and I'm unsure I'd like it if all it did was that for the whole game. It's the same reason I traded in Shadows of the Damned.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Jamesman posted:

I'm on this one mission that's annoyingly long, and now I'm in the part where I'm riding in the gunner turret of a truck that's being driven by the worst AI while being chased by a shitload of nazis, and I have to shoot them and prevent he truck from being blown up. Will, the bullet spread is annoying large, the truck swerves all over the place so I can't keep my sights on the enemy vehicles, and the damage being dealt to the truck is absurd (probably on account of the difficulty setting). I can't beat it.

To top it off, an NPC is apparently located nearby all this carnage and is sometimes getting killed by the nazis, which instantly fails the mission for me. There's nothing I can do to stop them or anything since I'm on rails and I can't even see him or anything. It's just "THIS GUY DIED YOU FAILED" which is loving great.

I think that vehicle turret sequence was the only time in the game I lowered the difficulty. Also, for some reason the game just puts Dr. Kwong in the path of moving vehicles during that mission and all you can do is cross your fingers that he doesn't get hit. That was really the only major low point in the game for me. If you keep with it, though, the ending is pretty great.

KitAlexHarrison posted:

Does The Saboteur get any more interesting than "start with the whole place in black and white, then slowly complete missions so it's in colour again"? That's all I really gleaned from it, and I'm unsure I'd like it if all it did was that for the whole game. It's the same reason I traded in Shadows of the Damned.

Incidentally, Eurogamer (digitalfoundry) put together an insanely detailed technically analysis of the Ico/SotC HD conversion here.

I'm not sure what else you're expecting. There is a whole story and character progression to go along with the B&W to colour change business. That bit is supposed to be a metaphor and a cool visual effect, not the point of the game. Sure, the story is a bit corny and chock-full of stereotypes, but I liked it.

The Saboteur is unironically one of my favourite games of this generation. I feel almost bad you guys aren't digging it.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Jamesman posted:

I'm pretty sure you can change the difficulty in-game, why don't you just turn it down? The game is better played on an easier difficulty anyway, avoid some of the bullshit and get to focus on killing Nazis.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

KitAlexHarrison posted:

Saboteur has some really fun characters (and the best main character ever), good music, generally solid gameplay, and is honestly one of the most satisfying games I've played this generation. They also use the color changes in a few really great ways, thematically. You should definitely give it a rental at least.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

KitAlexHarrison posted:

I'm beginning to lose my patience with Just Cause 2 as well. Having to do a thousand and one menial tasks to unlock the next mission is beyond tedious, especially when no individual thing I do seem to have any impact on the unlock bar.

If you're working to unlock story missions, I don't think Just Cause 2 is for you.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

liquidypoo posted:

If you're working to unlock story missions, I don't think Just Cause 2 is for you.

Seriously. By the time I actually went to do story missions, I had caused enough chaos to unlock every single one of them already.

Winszton
Oct 22, 2008
I'm not sure what shooting/adventure games to get, help me out!
In general with games I don't like learning curves, I just get impatient and drop it. And if the mechanics of moving or shooting or whatever are "annoying" (like, Uncharted, I couldn't get into) I get frustrated pretty quick.
I like good stories but not ones that take up much time or have a bunch of uninteresting complexity and names to memorize

I'm thinking bulletstorm, killzone 3, maybe Resistance?

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Winszton posted:

I'm not sure what shooting/adventure games to get, help me out!
In general with games I don't like learning curves, I just get impatient and drop it. And if the mechanics of moving or shooting or whatever are "annoying" (like, Uncharted, I couldn't get into) I get frustrated pretty quick.
I like good stories but not ones that take up much time or have a bunch of uninteresting complexity and names to memorize

I'm thinking bulletstorm, killzone 3, maybe Resistance?

Borderlands seems right up your alley. Not much a learning curve and there's tons of things to do plus 4 player online co-op. Though you'll probably want to use a 3rd party voice chat app like Skype because the in-game one is absolute shite.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

So supposedly all you need to do to get Uncharted 3 multiplayer a month early from Subway is to buy ONE drink. What the poo poo?

-The multiplayer officially starts on September 29th at 12:00pm EST.
-The free multiplayer ends on November 13th at 12:00am EST.
-If you buy a drink, you will get the MP code. You have to redeem this code before November 1st to get the MP.
-If you buy a sandwich or some chips, you can get either a

Uncharted 3 Dynamic Theme
Fortune Hunter Bounty
Multiplayer Drake Character Skin
Multiplayer Weapon Skin
Virtual Costumes for PlayStation® Home

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

the truth posted:

So supposedly all you need to do to get Uncharted 3 multiplayer a month early from Subway is to buy ONE drink. What the poo poo?

-The multiplayer officially starts on September 29th at 12:00pm EST.
-The free multiplayer ends on November 13th at 12:00am EST.
-If you buy a drink, you will get the MP code. You have to redeem this code before November 1st to get the MP.
-If you buy a sandwich or some chips, you can get either a

Uncharted 3 Dynamic Theme
Fortune Hunter Bounty
Multiplayer Drake Character Skin
Multiplayer Weapon Skin
Virtual Costumes for PlayStation® Home

I am going to need to buy some of those codes off ebay, I guess. Canada probably won't be getting this.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Jamesman posted:

I nearly gave up at this too. It's really loving hard, and requires a lot of luck. Just memorize the positions of things and pray for good luck. :/ The rest of the game is totally worth that bullshit though, I promise.

Also, that loving NPC. :argh: He got me a few times.

e. Also, if I recall, it's a good idea to fire in short bursts and aim at the drivers of the cars to disable them. Also later on, I want to say some cars have machine gunners hanging out the sides, take them down too obviously. I think killing drivers disables those bastard Gestapo machine gunner cars, which were my biggest problem by far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Aw drat it, Home costumes? Now I gotta get all up in that. Subway gives out good Home poo poo.

• Locked thread