Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

somethingawesomer
Nov 16, 2005

This is kind of a weird one.

My cat Indy is about 5 years old. I've had him since June 2010, he was an owner surrender to a rescue. He's a Siamese or Snowshoe cat. For the last week I've found poop outside of his box, no more than a couple feet away. This has happened maybe 3 times this week and never happened before this. First I made sure I began to scoop his box much more often, and then I got him an additonal box. Since yesterday he has happily used one box for each.

Today I witnessed him do his typically crazy psycho kitty mode, hop in his box, and then when he was halfway done pooping, he flew out and took off down the hallway, and poop fell out of his butt and landed on the carpet. He did immediately go groom himself and he was meowing (he is very talkative overall so this is not weird for me) and cleaning his butt (also fairly normal I think). I do wonder if he is in pain though. Then he did another 10 minutes of being crazy and then went to nap.

I am wondering if this behavior is odd enough to warrant an immediate vet visit. I do realize it could be stress, I am gone 10 hours a day 5 days a week and he is alone. My girlfriend is also gone away at work for 3 months, and we're about 1 month in and he does always act a little off when she's gone, even though he's my cat and he is more attached to me.

His diet is super healthy and grain free, and he drinks a ton of water. about 90% Weruva's paw lickin chicken canned food mixed with Stella/Chewy's freeze dried raw chicken for cats, and 10% blue buffalo wilderness chicken dry food. He tends to throw up after eating dry food so it is just left out for him when I'm gone. He is active, happy, and affectionate with a good appetite and is normal weight (12lbs and is a neutered male. His stool was normal and solid.

Edit: Also wanted to add I've always used World's Best litter with him, haven't changed it. I keep the boxes very clean too.
Any ideas/similar situations?

somethingawesomer fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Sep 10, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Mucilaginous posted:

Punta Gorda

Were their owners from Florida? That's the name of the town I grew up in and I cannot imagine why you would ever name anything after that place. :psyduck:

bkerlee
Aug 3, 2006

Slimy and gross.

kaworu posted:

Awwwwwww! Look at those gorgeous kitties :h: Kitty-cuddles are so adorable especially when they feature various color combinations. Pics like that make me desperately wanna get a second cat.

You're a trooper for taking the cats in despite your allergies, though - very much a good thing to do. Shame they had issues with the baby, poor kitties probably couldn't help it. Hope you do well with them, wish I could offer some advice for keeping allergies in checlk :(

Actually, the mom overreacted a bit. The kitties just wanted to check out the baby, and she'd heard that old wives' tale about cats "stealing a baby's breath" and thought they might try to hurt the baby.

To be fair, Borgan did spend the night sleeping literally on my chest and face. Cracked me up, and I can still breathe this morning, so it's all good.

bkerlee
Aug 3, 2006

Slimy and gross.

Radio! posted:

Were their owners from Florida? That's the name of the town I grew up in and I cannot imagine why you would ever name anything after that place. :psyduck:

Nah, she just roughly translated "fat whore" and it stuck. He is pretty fat, but the other one is the whore for cuddles and petting...ha!

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

So, where's the line between pudgy kitten belly and wormy kitten belly? The kittens will be going to the vet in a week for their first well-cat visit, and I'll have a fecal done, but it's been a long time since I've had young cats and I'm just curious.

They have both been chowing down pretty hardcore on their new food, so I think it's just full tummies. They were wormed by the rescue but never had a follow-up fecal done, which is the only reason I'm concerned.

On other news, we're letting them have short stints in the whole house. So far each of them has carried a toy down from the guest room :3:

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Mucilaginous posted:

Actually, the mom overreacted a bit. The kitties just wanted to check out the baby, and she'd heard that old wives' tale about cats "stealing a baby's breath" and thought they might try to hurt the baby.

Yeah, I think parents really tend to overreact when it comes to the whole cat/baby thing. Probably the greatest risk in actuality is that the cat will just resent all the attention the baby gets and get all pissy about it. That's at least what I've seen happen mostly.

Some cats are really cool about it - when my little sister was born, we had this great cat who would basically stand guard over her whenever possible, but wouldn't get really close or anything most of the time. For example, every night he'd sleep in front of the crib about five feet away and ensure nothing came close without his consent. This basically amounted to him keeping the dog and the other two cats away from her, which was actually quite useful. He was a big Maine Coon, weighed about 25 pounds, so he was a formidable protector. Not even the 60-pound dog we had hosed with that cat.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.
What's the deal with that spot at the base of cats' tails that makes them out when you touch it?

If I pet it on Grumples, he sticks his head RIGHT back in the air and looks kind of wild. If I pet it on Hat, he sticks his bum right up in the air.

I tried Googling with it but can't find a reliable answer - anyone know?

marshmallard fucked around with this message at 13:41 on May 11, 2017

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Why that's the rear end button.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nzvm8k5kSjs&t=160s

Keevon
Jun 11, 2002
You know maybe instead of being an angry nerd and writing your paper about how poorly notch wrote a multi million dollar game you could try being productive and write your own game but properly and show him whats what:qq:
I just got 2 kittens (Albers and Nobie, a brother and sister Abyssinian) about a month and a half back and nearly everything has been going great, but I have one thing in particular I'm starting to get frustrated about. Albers has been a bit too aggressive with me, and often attacks my feet. I've been trying a few things to ward him off, including shaking a bottle of pills. That seems to startle him, and it isn't typically too big of a problem. The real problem comes with him crawling under my covers at night and biting my feet while I sleep. It doesn't give me much of a chance to shake something to startle him, so I can't really discourage the behavior effectively. Is there anything else I can try?

Here they are pretending they aren't constantly destroying my sanity.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Gorgeous cats, but sorry man, welcome to owning kittens. Expect them to be horrible assholes until they're about 2-3 years old. But the good news is you can lock them out of your room at night, and at least they're getting a lot of their energy out on each other. Good move getting two kittens. Def post more pics though. :3:

Keevon
Jun 11, 2002
You know maybe instead of being an angry nerd and writing your paper about how poorly notch wrote a multi million dollar game you could try being productive and write your own game but properly and show him whats what:qq:

Kerfuffle posted:

Gorgeous cats, but sorry man, welcome to owning kittens. Expect them to be horrible assholes until they're about 2-3 years old. But the good news is you can lock them out of your room at night, and at least they're getting a lot of their energy out on each other. Good move getting two kittens. Def post more pics though. :3:

I was afraid this would be the case. I feel guilty locking them out of the room at night, but my current schedule seems to be doing so every night at 2AM since I want to give them another chance. Thems the breaks!

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

So I realized something while caring for the peepies (the kittens. Originally it was Fu and the Peepy Bunch but it just got shortened :3: ).

Tidy Cats loving sucks.

I realized that I used to use Tidy Cats for my cats, and it sucked then too. Fresh Step wasn't awful for my cat growing up. Is there any brand that actually makes the house not reek? I was scooping twice a day with the little guys (and getting very little out), changing the litter entirely every three days, and it still smelled like gross. What brands do you guys suggest looking into?

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Is there any brand that actually makes the house not reek?

I would be interested in this also - the Tidy Cats isn't cutting it. Although, in just the four days since they've been on the new food, my little buggers are already much less stinky. I use an automated box, which requires clumping litter, but I would be more than happy to change brands.

hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

But shakin' its all I know!
Hello kitten thread!

So, I might be getting a new kitten. :3: I know having more than one cat is usually a good thing, but I am still a little nervous about the introduction process.

I currently have one cat, a year and a half or so tuxedo female named Pickles. She's spayed, of course. And still has that wild kitten-craziness. We got Pickles as a stray when she was very young, and she has been raised with my family's dogs. Pickles has never had another cat around, and is really close to the dogs. However, since around the 6 month or so range, I started to feel a little bad for her because it seemed like she really WANTED some other cat attention.

So, we might be getting a kitten (female, 7ish weeks old). Long story short, a very very friendly feral cat that has lived at my grandmothers house got knocked up and had a litter like 7 weeks ago. Now we're trying to catch, examine, and adopt out the kittens, and catch the mother, get her fixed, and re-release her (my grandmother lives in a pretty secluded area with a huge amount of property, it's cat haven out there).

Now, I read all about the seclusion stage and was wondering if my room would be a good place to keep the kitten. I live with my parents so its not like my room is Pickle's FAVORITE place or anything I guess, but she does spend quite a lot of time in here and she's pretty much MY cat. In fact she meows and whines and beats on my door until I let her in a lot of the time. Do you guys think that would be a bad idea to keep the new kitten in here? We have a big house and she has plenty of other favorite places, but... I dunno, I'd like your guys advice. :shobon: Sorry if this is long or rambling, I'm just excited/nervous and would like some reassurance.

TL;DR: I might be adopting a 7ish week old female kitten, I already have a year and a half old female who is still very active and kitten-like even though shes been raised around dogs only with no other cat interaction ever. Good idea/bad idea?

EDIT: I spent some time with the kitten tonight, and when I came home Pickles smelled all over my fingers and licked all over them (she's a cat that doesn't lick ever pretty much so I thought it was interesting). I do not know if that is relevant at all but I thought I'd share.

hypnotoad fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Sep 11, 2011

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

So I realized something while caring for the peepies (the kittens. Originally it was Fu and the Peepy Bunch but it just got shortened :3: ).

Tidy Cats loving sucks.

I realized that I used to use Tidy Cats for my cats, and it sucked then too. Fresh Step wasn't awful for my cat growing up. Is there any brand that actually makes the house not reek? I was scooping twice a day with the little guys (and getting very little out), changing the litter entirely every three days, and it still smelled like gross. What brands do you guys suggest looking into?

We have been using the Arm and Hammer litter for a while now and its been great for three cats. Now that we are down to two sadly, we still keep it up though we have found that sometimes we have to take extra steps to eliminate the odor completely no matter how good the litter is, especially if they've been spoiled and have had rich food just a bit too much. To do that we completely empty and wash the box about once every 6 - 8 weeks or so which gets rid of all the crud that gets scraped into the corners and bottom. In between we use the Arm and Hammer Baking Soda Litter Refresher stuff that comes in a box right next to the cat litters. Its really awesome stuff that even kept up with our CRF cat who would pee gallons of horribly concentrated urine at a time. Just make sure that when you scoop the box, add a bit more fresh litter to the mix to keep the litter well rotated.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
So I got a new kitten today (5 months old) and I brought him home. He was kind of shy, so I opened the cat carrier door and let him come out at his own pace.

So he came out and I reached down to pet him and he ran into the corner of my kitchen and then found a hole in the corner of the cabinets and crawled up inside.

I have no way to get inside the area he crawled in, other than the tiny whole he crawled in (or, cutting the wood of the cabinets open, which I really don't want to do).

I left a can of catfood out hoping to coax him out, but he hasn't come out in like 30 minutes.

Do y'all have any tips on a way to lure him out?

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
Is the kitten in the cabinets, or in the wall? If he's just in some kind of closed space in/behind the cabinets (as in, can't get further and further into the structure of your house) I wouldn't worry about it. Dude might pass out and take a marathon nap, or sit and be scared about things, but he'll be okay and he'll come out.

If he's, like...in your walls...well, I'd still wait a bit to start worrying, but I don't know what to suggest beyond that.

(e. Is it really stinky cat food? It probably is, if it's wet, but the stinkier it is the more tempting.)

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

Andrias Scheuchzeri posted:

Is the kitten in the cabinets, or in the wall? If he's just in some kind of closed space in/behind the cabinets (as in, can't get further and further into the structure of your house) I wouldn't worry about it. Dude might pass out and take a marathon nap, or sit and be scared about things, but he'll be okay and he'll come out.

If he's, like...in your walls...well, I'd still wait a bit to start worrying, but I don't know what to suggest beyond that.

(e. Is it really stinky cat food? It probably is, if it's wet, but the stinkier it is the more tempting.)

As far as I know its just an empty space between the cabinets that I can't get to.

It's wet food. The foster family said that kind was his favorite, so I'm hoping that will work. :(

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
I had a kitten do that once. She disappeared for a couple of hours; my mom and I were searching inside and outside in a panic; eventually she emerged, yawning adorably, from a tiny behind-the-cabinet spot that we'd never even noticed before. drat kittens.

Anyway, as frustrating and unnerving as it is sitting around waiting for a tiny cat to come out of a hole, it's probably just a situation for waiting him out while he calms down.

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010
Once he does finally emerge, I recommend taking balled up paper bags and wedging them in all the cabinet openings or even taking duct tape and covering them. They shouldn't be visible and should keep kitty from climbing in there again. We had the same problem with one of ours. A good thing though, if he starts to get distressed he'll probably start crying. If you haven't heard him vocalize he's probably taking a long nap. Kittens are cute but serious assholes.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Andrias Scheuchzeri posted:

beep beep beep HE'S IN THE WALLS

Bahunter22 posted:

Once he does finally emerge, I recommend taking balled up paper bags and wedging them in all the cabinet openings or even taking duct tape and covering them. They shouldn't be visible and should keep kitty from climbing in there again. We had the same problem with one of ours. A good thing though, if he starts to get distressed he'll probably start crying. If you haven't heard him vocalize he's probably taking a long nap. Kittens are cute but serious assholes.
when he's out, hurry up and find a proper room for him to get acclimated to and keep him in there first, then have him explore after he gets used to that room. Him going behind the cabinets isn't a big deal unless there's dangerous stuff back there or if he can't get out; it's just mostly annoying. Shoving something in the holes is a good idea, and you might want to cover the cabinet holes too.

watchoutitsabear
Sep 8, 2011

Keevon posted:

The real problem comes with him crawling under my covers at night and biting my feet while I sleep. It doesn't give me much of a chance to shake something to startle him, so I can't really discourage the behavior effectively. Is there anything else I can try?

First of all- holy crap what gorgeous cats! I want an abyssinian SO badly.

I'm taking some classes in behavior analysis and am kind of super gung-ho about it, so I would suggest you try and figure out the function of the behavior (what is it that happens when it attacks your feet that makes it want to attack them in the future?) My cat, Navi, used to attack my feet while I slept because I would react by giving her attention in the form of saying "stop it!" or picking her up and taking her out of my room, so I started wearing socks to bed and holding perfectly still and keeping quiet when she did it, and she has totally stopped. She doesn't even bite me when I roll over and kick her in the face now! So maybe try that? When she attacked me while I was walking around I would YELP and then completely ignore her, and she's stopped doing that too now.

I have a question that I'm not sure has been answered already, sorry if it has been!
Navi is a really intelligent active cat and I want to figure out a way to keep her entertained while I'm at work during the day so she doesn't get depressed. Does anyone have any suggestions? I've been thinking of getting an aquarium for her to look at. I would love to get her another cat (especially an aby :3:) but she is SO aggressive to other animals I don't think that's an option. The woman I adopted her from told me she really thought getting another cat would be a bad idea- none of her cats ever got near Navi. So- aquarium? Release live mice in my apartment before I leave for work? Any suggestions?

watchoutitsabear fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Sep 12, 2011

Cassiope
Jul 7, 2010

Man, the living creature, the creating individual, is always more important than any established style or system.
Except for cats.
I haven't tried it but if she likes lasers maybe the bolt?

Or maybe a kitty kong?

Keevon
Jun 11, 2002

watchoutitsabear posted:

First of all- holy crap what gorgeous cats! I want an abyssinian SO badly.

I'm taking some classes in behavior analysis and am kind of super gung-ho about it, so I would suggest you try and figure out the function of the behavior (what is it that happens when it attacks your feet that makes it want to attack them in the future?) My cat, Navi, used to attack my feet while I slept because I would react by giving her attention in the form of saying "stop it!" or picking her up and taking her out of my room, so I started wearing socks to bed and holding perfectly still and keeping quiet when she did it, and she has totally stopped. She doesn't even bite me when I roll over and kick her in the face now! So maybe try that? When she attacked me while I was walking around I would YELP and then completely ignore her, and she's stopped doing that too now.

Thanks, I'll give this a try!

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010
Maybe make sure she's got a window she can get to so she can look out side and make weird noises at the birds. I think our cats would go insane if they couldn't look out of the windows.

watchoutitsabear
Sep 8, 2011

I have a huge sliding glass door in the front of my apartment she can chill at. I also have a screened-in porch that I used to let her hang out in while I was gone, but she's torn through the screen to chase lizards... As soon as I can afford to, I'm planning to get some fencing or something to keep her from burrowing under the screen, and a cat tree to perch on.

Do you think sightseeing will be enough to keep her from losing it while I'm gone?

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.
So after I discipline my Male cat 'Bob' he skulks off, but not for long. Usually within 5-10 minutes he comes back, not looking for love but he runs around and jumps at me. He doesn't hiss, he's not being 'aggressive' per se, but I'm convinced he's showing off. I am convinced that after I discipline him he attempts displays of strength and dominance by performing physical feats. This can be anything from running as fast as he can, jumping as high as he can or attacking his toys violently.

Is this what he's doing? Is he actually showing off and rebelling? Because that's what it feels like he's doing.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
What do you mean by "discipline"? Also your cat is an rear end in a top hat kitten. It's doing what it does because that is what kittens do. It has nothing to do with dominantalphamalewhateverthefuck.

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010

watchoutitsabear posted:

I have a huge sliding glass door in the front of my apartment she can chill at. I also have a screened-in porch that I used to let her hang out in while I was gone, but she's torn through the screen to chase lizards... As soon as I can afford to, I'm planning to get some fencing or something to keep her from burrowing under the screen, and a cat tree to perch on.

Do you think sightseeing will be enough to keep her from losing it while I'm gone?

My cats aren't the most active but they're not complete lazy bones. They play with their little cat toys, bird watch, one of them patrols, and then they sleep. Our cats sleep mostly during the day and then keep watch during the night so your kitty might end up being similar.

Our Bombay was literally driving herself crazy being by herself when she was a wee one. She wasn't fond of our Maine Coon when they were introduced but once we brought home our tiny four week old rescue she had someone to play with. Honestly it was one of the best situations because she got to live with someone who wasn't a complete rear end in a top hat right away and then acclimated to living with an rear end in a top hat kitten. From what you described it seems like she has a queen bee kind of attitude that told the other cats to step off (like our Bombay). That might mean that kitty could tolerate others and maybe even be friendly with one that was a good fit. Just something to think about.

ATP5G1
Jun 22, 2005
Fun Shoe

watchoutitsabear posted:

This is a really good idea. My rear end in a top hat kitten has taken to climbing things and knocking them down at night. First this led to me yelling at her and now I've taken to taking her out of the room when she does. I would like to just ignore her, but it's not really possible when she's knocking poo poo all over the place. Does anyone have any ideas (aside from keeping everything in boxes)?

watchoutitsabear
Sep 8, 2011

Bahunter22 posted:

My cats aren't the most active but they're not complete lazy bones. They play with their little cat toys, bird watch, one of them patrols, and then they sleep. Our cats sleep mostly during the day and then keep watch during the night so your kitty might end up being similar.

Our Bombay was literally driving herself crazy being by herself when she was a wee one. She wasn't fond of our Maine Coon when they were introduced but once we brought home our tiny four week old rescue she had someone to play with. Honestly it was one of the best situations because she got to live with someone who wasn't a complete rear end in a top hat right away and then acclimated to living with an rear end in a top hat kitten. From what you described it seems like she has a queen bee kind of attitude that told the other cats to step off (like our Bombay). That might mean that kitty could tolerate others and maybe even be friendly with one that was a good fit. Just something to think about.

Hrm it's worth a shot. Down the line (when I have money and free time) I really want to get another English Bulldog. Maybe I'll get an Aby kitten at the same time and they can be friends and ignore grumpy Navi. (What's that, Boyfriend? You want a Schnauzer? Shhhhh....)

Navi was found wandering around the dorms at the college in my town, so the shelter thinks some college students got her as a kitten and then just abandoned her when they moved out. I don't even want to know what kind of poo poo these rear end in a top hat college kids put her though, or what must have happened when she was abandoned and fending for herself, but yeah she really hates other animals. My neighbor brought over a 3-week old kitten he found abandoned outside his apartment, and she hissed and tried to scratch it too the second she saw it. But maybe she would react better to a puppy, or after she's had some time to get used to the fact that nothing in this apartment will ever hurt her or steal her food or abandon her...

Also, thanks Schroedinger! I've only taken a few classes in ABA but my boyfriend is finishing his MS in it and planning to go for his PhD, so if anyone wants information on behavior functions and motivating operations and whatever, I'd be happy to give as much information as I can! That's a tough issue, I would say just squirt the little poo poo when it does it, or maybe keep a jar of coins next to your bed to shake? I do that when Navi scratches my mattress.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I need a new litterbox goons. I have 2 cats and they share a single large box (very small apartment. They've never had issues with going elsewhere.) I need something covered because the box is in a fairly high traffic area and Sam has the habit of peeing over the side (And the back of the box is high-sided so I have no idea how he does that. They're both fixed of course.) It's on tile so nothing's been permanently damaged by this, but I sure would like to keep the pee in the box.

I liked the look of the dome-type but Sam is a big kitty and nothing of that type at Petsmart looked big enough to me. The larger covered ones looked really flimsy, and I want something that will last.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

mistaya posted:

I liked the look of the dome-type but Sam is a big kitty and nothing of that type at Petsmart looked big enough to me. The larger covered ones looked really flimsy, and I want something that will last.

I use this one:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002ASCGM

My cat is a 17 pound monstrosity and he fits in it just fine.

anaaki
Apr 2, 2008
I may possibly be adopting two adult cats Thursday! Woohoo! :)

I won't go into the rules of my apartment (:argh:) but I just moved out on my own, my fiance is on the other side of the state, and I am coming home stressed out and need some company.

There is an animal control unit about 20 minutes from here which I visited today. Oh, my, god. I can't believe how many cat cages they have! It fills up the hallway and every nook and cranny. It was absolutely depressing.

I knew going in that I wanted an adult cat, because they're mellow and cuddly and I need a cat that will chill quietly at my apartment. When I walked in, they said they have a 2-for-1 special: 2 adult cats for $57. The two I picked are already kennel mates (they're from the same house along with a third cat, the owner passed away...) and they seemed very friendly. One of the cats is GIGANTIC. Like the size of a toddler. Not fat, but just huge. The other is smaller. Both are males. I believe they were about 6 or 7 years old.

Now, I've had one cat before, but never two.

I have a small apartment, so I was curious what to do about the litterbox situation. The entire area under my bathroom sink is open (no cabinetry/no low pipes) so I was thinking of putting one huge box there. I was going to make my own box like this: http://petprojectblog.com/archives/cats/make-your-own-cat-litter-box/ just because the cat shelter I used to volunteer at had the same kind (without lids) and it seemed to work well for the bigger cats. I figure if I scoop a couple times a day the smell shouldn't be prominent.

Anyway, any tips in getting two adult male cats? Should I keep them in the bathroom with food/water/box/blanket while I'm away from home for work so they get used to the place?

mistaya posted:

I need a new litterbox goons.

http://petprojectblog.com/archives/cats/make-your-own-cat-litter-box/

or http://www.flickr.com/photos/30157840@N02/sets/72157608760623430/detail/

We used these at the no-kill-cat shelter I worked at (although they cut the whole out of the wider side, and had no lid). It was nice because some of the cats stood up to pee, or if the cat had diarrhea it wouldn't go outside the box. Yeah, it sucks having to wipe it off the SIDE of the box, but it's better than the floor :) Also, they were able to keep the litter deep enough (3") so that you only were really scooping the top part, and then added litter back into it. Every few months they empty out ALL of the litter to replace it because rarely did it soak deep enough. Plus, it's nice and roomy :)

anaaki fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Sep 14, 2011

hypnotoad
Dec 16, 2007

But shakin' its all I know!

hypnotoad posted:

Hello kitten thread!

So, I might be getting a new kitten. :3: I know having more than one cat is usually a good thing, but I am still a little nervous about the introduction process.

I currently have one cat, a year and a half or so tuxedo female named Pickles. She's spayed, of course. And still has that wild kitten-craziness. We got Pickles as a stray when she was very young, and she has been raised with my family's dogs. Pickles has never had another cat around, and is really close to the dogs. However, since around the 6 month or so range, I started to feel a little bad for her because it seemed like she really WANTED some other cat attention.

So, we might be getting a kitten (female, 7ish weeks old). Long story short, a very very friendly feral cat that has lived at my grandmothers house got knocked up and had a litter like 7 weeks ago. Now we're trying to catch, examine, and adopt out the kittens, and catch the mother, get her fixed, and re-release her (my grandmother lives in a pretty secluded area with a huge amount of property, it's cat haven out there).

Now, I read all about the seclusion stage and was wondering if my room would be a good place to keep the kitten. I live with my parents so its not like my room is Pickle's FAVORITE place or anything I guess, but she does spend quite a lot of time in here and she's pretty much MY cat. In fact she meows and whines and beats on my door until I let her in a lot of the time. Do you guys think that would be a bad idea to keep the new kitten in here? We have a big house and she has plenty of other favorite places, but... I dunno, I'd like your guys advice. :shobon: Sorry if this is long or rambling, I'm just excited/nervous and would like some reassurance.

TL;DR: I might be adopting a 7ish week old female kitten, I already have a year and a half old female who is still very active and kitten-like even though shes been raised around dogs only with no other cat interaction ever. Good idea/bad idea?

EDIT: I spent some time with the kitten tonight, and when I came home Pickles smelled all over my fingers and licked all over them (she's a cat that doesn't lick ever pretty much so I thought it was interesting). I do not know if that is relevant at all but I thought I'd share.

Quoting myself in case people missed my first post, because I'm about to update you all now. :)

I brought home my kitten yesterday, she's in a nice quiet room that gets no real traffic and is a great place to get bonded with her and have kitten romp-time all by herself and is a place Pickles, my other cat, isn't allowed into without supervision (because we keep that door closed 98% of the time). So it's not like its one of her regular hideouts or anything, which I've gathered is perfect.

First introductions were interesting. First, I had just handled the kitten and let Pickles smell my hand. Lots of sniffing, a hiss, and a little growl kinda thing. That was last night. Tonight, I let Pickles INTO the room, to see Wicket (the new kitten) in her setup (a very XL guinea pig cage until she's big enough to roam free unsupervised). Pickles walked in, very interestingly sniffed ALLLLL around, and then when she spotted Wicket slunk over, smelled some more, and hissed once and low-growled for a little bit. Pickles then slunk off and smelled around the room some more. When I went to leave, Pickles didn't want to and I had to pick her up and take her out.

So does this all sound like normal first-introduction-type behaviors? Anything I should be wary about or keep in mind? Should I keep letting them have meet-periods once a day? I haven't had young cats in YEARS, my two cats I had since childhood died a few years ago so this is really my first time having and raising kittens/ teenage cats. I was a little kid when my first two cats were kittens, so I don't remember much. And I'm a paranoid new kitty mommy. :shobon:

rainbow kittens
Jan 20, 2006

Poor little kittens, they've lost their mittens! And now they shan't have pie :(
While we're on the topic of litter boxes and the like, I had picked up a new one about a week ago for my cats. The new litter box was domed and had a little flap in it. The kitten absolutely loved it, but as I found out, the older cat decided that my laundry basket in my bedroom was a nicer place to poo and pee. (I have since switched back to the old litter box.)

The end result was that even though I managed to get the laundry washed (with vinegar) I still feel like I smell a bit of cat pee. Don't get me started about the carpeting in the bedroom. The cat peed in the laundry basket, and it must have leaked out on the floor.

Either way, I tried layering baking soda and vinegar on it and left it overnight. I woke up last night and I honestly thought that I was surrounded by cat pee, the smell was that bad (balcony door was open to let fresh air in, too).

I scrubbed the whole thing down today, put some Spot Shot on it, scrubbed. More vinegar, more baking soda, etc.

Is my bedroom ever going to stop smelling like cat piss? Because it is awful. No, she has not peed again. She isn't allowed in the room.

This is the guilty party:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

rainbow kittens posted:

Is my bedroom ever going to stop smelling like cat piss? Because it is awful. No, she has not peed again. She isn't allowed in the room.
I have a similar problem with my rear end in a top hat cat from time to time. You'll need to go find an enzymatic cleaner to deal to get rid of the pee stank. It won't necessarily get rid of all of the reek, but it'll help cut it down substantially and then over time, it should be better/reek free.

Dick Brophy
Apr 18, 2011

by Fistgrrl
I live in a house with six other people and one of the guys (who is basically the owner, let's call him W.) decided to bring home a kitten (Lily) one day and just announce "oh yeah guys, I got a kitten!", which wouldn't necessarily be a big deal (my fiance has a cat but we keep it in our room; for reasons you'll understand in a minute) but it quickly became one..

W. initially started with its litter box in his room, the door of which would be closed all day with the kitten left to run around the rest of the house. So the kitten started using random soft things (beds, shag rugs, etc.) as its bathroom. So W. brought the litter box into the rest of the house but just assumed Lily would figure out where it was, without showing her where he put it. Obviously this didn't work and she continued using the rest of the house as her box. Most of the people here are of the "ewwww it's poooooop!!! I'm not touching it!" mindset, so it'd get left on rugs and whatnot for several hours at times.

Now that it's "the house's cat" (I put that in quotes because W. just threw this on everyone without saying much of anything; every time we'd tell him about something Lily did or something he should be taking care of, he'd just respond in a very joking, non-serious manner and it's really hard to tell if he genuinely wants a cat or if he is depending on the rest of us to deal with it) it's just become a ridiculous burden. No one here cares for or wants to take care of Lily. The front and back doors were constantly left open, and she would often be out of food and water. The first time I even noticed that she had food in the common area of the house, she didn't even have a dish of water. Someone had given her a bowl of milk. Needless to say I got rid of it and gave her water, and it's been water ever since, so I guess whoever it was took the hint.

There have been a couple occasions (none of which actually required this for ANY reason) where some of our housemates have simply locked Lily in a bedroom for hours on end, with neither food, water, nor litter box.. just because they didn't feel like dealing with her poop antics that day, I guess. I really can't fathom why else they would do that. This evening, I was talking to my fiance and I told him I thought I was getting pretty allergic to Lily, and overhearing this, one of our housemates said "oh, you can just lock her in a room if you want!" and I told her that's not the way to deal with it. Her dumb response, "oh no, just for temporarily!" Yeah, okay.

It's been like this for a few weeks now. Just complete and utter disregard for the kitten, mostly. My fiance and I try to play with Lily and give her attention when we can, since everyone else's response is pretty much "it's not mine and it's gross so why should I have to deal with it?" which is just upsetting to me.

This morning, however, someone (still not sure who) decided that Lily is going to be an outdoor cat. So they took all her stuff and put it (and her) on the back porch. Obviously she's not confined to that space and my fiance found her on the front porch (where someone left another bowl of food) tonight. So now we're scared that she's either going to get eaten by something or get hit by a car. We let her in briefly this evening, but since no one pays attention to anything around here, she got locked in without her food, etc. I felt bad but led her back outside. I really don't know what to do about any of this. We've tried to bring Lily in and get her friendly with our cat but he just won't have it. We used to have two other cats (when we lived in a larger space) but we gave them to a friend after I had an asthma-related hospital visit that determined that I'm highly allergic. Having just the one cat hasn't been much of a bother at all.

I proposed that we just give her up for adoption because we can't take care of her alone and no one else here cares. My question is, what should be done about all of this? Are "we" doing the right thing by keeping her as an outdoor kitty for the time being? All of this has been bothering me for some time and I can't really deal with it much longer.

Sorry if something similar has been addressed already, but this is kind of urgent and I don't have time to skim through 114 pages right now.

tl;dr housemate got a kitten, gave it to the rest of us to deal with without warning, and no one wants to care for it; help!

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.
Is Lily fixed? Does she have her shots? If the answer is "No" to either of these questions she's not a suitable outdoor cat. If the answer is "Yes" shes still probably not a suitable outdoor cat. Find a local No Kill shelter and let them care for her if absolutely everyone in that house refuses to.

Realistically, if you send a kitten outdoors (not fixed) shes going to have babies until babies can no longer be made. If you send her out fixed, shes going to get into fights until she cant fight anymore and/or dies. Outdoor life isn't a wonderful life for cats. You use the word kitten, so she's not even a full grown cat, she's a baby. If no one can care for her, take her to a No Kill shelter (extra emphasis on no kill) and let them adopt her out. Kittens go very quickly, especially if they are under one year.

ladyweapon fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Sep 14, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010

hypnotoad posted:

Quoting myself in case people missed my first post, because I'm about to update you all now. :)

I brought home my kitten yesterday, she's in a nice quiet room that gets no real traffic and is a great place to get bonded with her and have kitten romp-time all by herself and is a place Pickles, my other cat, isn't allowed into without supervision (because we keep that door closed 98% of the time). So it's not like its one of her regular hideouts or anything, which I've gathered is perfect.

First introductions were interesting. First, I had just handled the kitten and let Pickles smell my hand. Lots of sniffing, a hiss, and a little growl kinda thing. That was last night. Tonight, I let Pickles INTO the room, to see Wicket (the new kitten) in her setup (a very XL guinea pig cage until she's big enough to roam free unsupervised). Pickles walked in, very interestingly sniffed ALLLLL around, and then when she spotted Wicket slunk over, smelled some more, and hissed once and low-growled for a little bit. Pickles then slunk off and smelled around the room some more. When I went to leave, Pickles didn't want to and I had to pick her up and take her out.

So does this all sound like normal first-introduction-type behaviors? Anything I should be wary about or keep in mind? Should I keep letting them have meet-periods once a day? I haven't had young cats in YEARS, my two cats I had since childhood died a few years ago so this is really my first time having and raising kittens/ teenage cats. I was a little kid when my first two cats were kittens, so I don't remember much. And I'm a paranoid new kitty mommy. :shobon:

Sounds like it went fine. Just a question though - did you have Wicket tested for FeLV and the likes? If not I would steer clear of having them meet face to face until you get her to a vet. If so, just keep doing what you are doing. Because her mom is a feral, there is always a chance she could have brought something back to the kittens.

It actually sounds like their meeting was pretty tame. Our first cat, Mia, slashed my husband's face when we introduced her to our old lady cat, Ginny. It took some time but after about a week we finally let them eat near each other and after they didn't fight during that they were good. When we got the kitten, Sammi, we let the girls into the room without the kitten and they sniffed and growled and hissed the first couple of times but once they got comfortable we showed Sammi to them. Again, they sniffed and low growled and hissed for a few days but after they figured out she was no bigger than a tennis ball and really wasn't any threat to them, they were cool. Just keep at it and pay attention to if either of them seems to be in distress during their meetings. If they start to get weird and act like they are super uncomfortable, let them go their ways for a while and regroup later.