Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

It almost feels like there's no need to trade for spectacular seeds when almost any given mountain range is basically gargamel now.

I am loving the ocean survival maps though. Oceans in general are fantastic. Maybe not being in the middle of one, but building something on an ocean shore, with the knowledge that you're on the border of something truly vast is pretty awesome.

One strange thing I noticed... I haven't seen any snow. I've seen boreal forests that look pretty cold... but no snow on them yet. I imagine it'll fall eventually, but it's odd that it's not there to begin with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gooch
Oct 30, 2006

I just installed 1.8 and killed my first enderman I saw on the first night with just a stone sword. :smug:

Hay, how do I fly in creative? I can't figure it out.

Gooch fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Sep 10, 2011

ancara22
Apr 17, 2011

FURRY FAGGOT
ask me about my sonic roleplaying fursona!

Eiba posted:

I don't normally say this, but that picture looks beautiful. Funny how a change of the lighting system can make things looks tons better, isn't it? :v:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

drat, I just checked, and glowstone puts out the same light as torches. I was kinda hoping it'd put out sunlight colour light instead to give us a variation.

Also, I haven't actually found a mine yet (or a village, in creative. Are they not spawning in creative mode?) but I can't see cracked or mossy stone brick blocks in creative. Did they make it in?

EDIT: Oh, nope, found one. No stone bricks at all so far in it though.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Sep 10, 2011

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Zorak posted:

The server was leaked.

I'm wondering more how people are connecting to SMP servers; I thought you could only connect offline to this version, which would prevent you to playing on SMP, no?

leaked but in a way where I'm not going to find it here? Not leaked on purpose?

lizzyinthesky
Mar 24, 2010

Take drugs! Kill a bear!

MikeJF posted:

drat, I just checked, and glowstone puts out the same light as torches. I was kinda hoping it'd put out sunlight colour light instead to give us a variation.

Also, I haven't actually found a mine yet (or a village, in creative. Are they not spawning in creative mode) but I can't see cracked or mossy stone brick blocks in creative. Did they make it in?

Yes but some blocks are apperently missing in creative.

The cracked and mossy stone bricks are only in Strongholds.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

wyoming posted:

I think the melons themselves need to grow on plowed land.

Yep, this was the problem. Thanks wyoming!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

lizzyinthesky posted:

Yes but some blocks are apperently missing in creative.

The cracked and mossy stone bricks are only in Strongholds.

Balls. I assume if you get your hands on one from a stronghold you can place it infinitely though?

Them missing is a bug, right?

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Krinkle posted:

leaked but in a way where I'm not going to find it here? Not leaked on purpose?

http://assets.minecraft.net/1_8-pre/minecraft.jar

They set up a prerelease version for people to screw around with for the weekend. It's an "official" leak straight from their servers. Just replace the current minecraft.jar in your minecraft folder with the new one.

Arkitektbmw
Jun 22, 2010
Ok so after playing for a while on the leaked server and on single player I lost interest in messing with Endermen. They just don't seem to be that interesting. They lock on to you and freeze.

Or so I thought.

I was playing on a single player map and saw one meandering through a cave just below the one I was exploring. So I decided to taunt his rear end since he was about 2 blocks below me with no way of getting up to where I was (no blocks to step on to get up to my level). I edge to where I can just make out his eyes. He locks on in typical fashion and then teleports! Somewhat confused I do a quick panic search for him.

Nothing. Then I tunnel my way up to the surface (8 blocks up maybe). And just as I turn around PUFF!, black smoke and legs are suddenly right in front of me and he instantly one-hits me dead. SCARED THE poo poo OUT OF ME! I had already written him off as bugged or just plain gone. But no the bastard was waiting for me to crawl out of the earth. What's weird is he teleported to me up top. He wasn't there when I first broke the top layer, I do a 360 check now whenever I go to jump out of a hole and he wasn't there when I looked.

So count my lesson learned with these buggers. Then can give you scares just like creepers do.

My one and only complaint is they need to have their own sound. Making them sound like zombies takes away from their eerie appearance.

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW
Aha! I think I figured out why the graphics are glitching. Too many trees. I think it has something to do with them growing that just makes the world go crazy. The island escape seed someone uploaded a page or two back has been working perfectly for me.

So if anybody is having issues with graphics or memory leaks, play a seed that doesn't have many trees.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Bone Zone Ten makes for a pretty cool starting area with a lot of poo poo within a minute's walk of the spawn.

You begin on top of a tree in this forest below me.

Off to the right of this hill I've climbed (overlooking the spawn) are a bunch of jagged mountains, waterfalls, and valleys flanked by a large desert (and ghost town) on one end and ocean on the other.

In that last picture, you'll notice a little hole in the desert and the glow of lava, right where the grass and desert meet. A closer look reveals...

This massive subterranean ravine, and the thin layer of sandstone that is holding up a huge slab of desert.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
Day/Night 2

I managed to setup a little hut to sleep in out from the weather and who knows what there is out there.

My plants are growing, hopefully something to eat, as I am starving. It hurts to even move now.

I am going to die in here, alone and starving.

(Thinking about changing the spawn to another island and passing this world on as a one life survive in the ocean world, that is if I don't master this island first.)

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

ThndrShk2k posted:

Day/Night 2

I managed to setup a little hut to sleep in out from the weather and who knows what there is out there.

My plants are growing, hopefully something to eat, as I am starving. It hurts to even move now.

(Thinking about changing the spawn to another island and passing this world on as a one life survive in the ocean world, that is if I don't master this island first.)
Oh wow, I found a time machine that showed me the future! It shows me your next post!

Holy poo poo, there are a lot of endermen in this area! You'd better watch out, Thndr!

Hahahhaha, that's the coolest castle I've ever seen!

Wow, did you build all that by yourself?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

ThndrShk2k posted:

Day/Night 2

Dude, seriously, turn up your brightness before you take screenshots at night.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

crazylakerfan posted:

Dude, seriously, turn up your brightness before you take screenshots at night.

They look fine to me. Well, daytime pictures are preferable, obviously, but it's not like it's impossible to see what's going on, unless you're not expanding the thumbnails or something?

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anyone figure out the recipe for gates for fences?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Please, please let's not get back into a debate about what the proper default gamma settings are for monitors.
Maybe since there's an in-game brightness slider now we can all just agree to turn it to max before taking night shots, since it won't overexpose that way and will give nice visibility.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

my last question probably is how do you generate a world and then let the world be used on a multiplayer server? because I made one in solo, copied the level dats over the one the server created, and it made a new one on top of the new new one instead of just loading it.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Copy everything. Take the world's entire folder and name it 'world', plaster the whole thing down where the multiplayer folder of the same name is located.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Broken Loose posted:

Oh wow, I found a time machine that showed me the future! It shows me your next post!

Your post was more boring and useless than the one you were poorly attempting to mock, congrats!

Saeka
Jul 2, 2007

I'm a man that loves the simple things. Sunhats. Boba. Dresses.

bango skank posted:

Anyone figure out the recipe for gates for fences?

EEE
SPS
SPS

S stands stick, and P stands for Plank.

Snollygoster
Dec 17, 2002

what a scoop
1.8 is slated to have actual npcs, right? It isn't just gonna be abandoned villages? Or is this pretty much what we're gonna "officially" get next week.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Snollygoster posted:

1.8 is slated to have actual npcs, right? It isn't just gonna be abandoned villages? Or is this pretty much what we're gonna "officially" get next week.

Nope, NPCs aren't going to be until 1.9, until then we'll just have to live with our spooky ghost towns. Why is this you may ask? Because :notch:, that's why.

NPC villages are just a lame version of Millènaire anyway :colbert:

Monicro fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Sep 10, 2011

Sam Hall
Jun 29, 2003

Holy poo poo, exploring underground got interesting. I can't even see either end of this chasm from here.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
So I just discovered you can guard if you right click while holding a sword

Hexadecimal Gnome
Apr 20, 2008

~a crackerjack typist~
Since I don't think anyone posted a link to the actual videos we did (if I missed it sorry, just woke up to find 500 posts), here's all of them from last night:

Ravines and Rivers
Endermen and Abandoned Mines
NPC Villages, Wells, Tables
Steak, Roast Chicken and More
Silverfish and Watermelons

EDIT: If you want a good laugh and to see Simon shriek like a little girl, watch the silverfish one.

Hexadecimal Gnome fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Sep 10, 2011

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

The thing I've always loved about this game, and what keeps me playing, is simply just wandering around and admiring the terrain generation. Any major update that alters how that works is a must-play for me, and this new update is just :aaa:

Favorite moment so far - stumbling upon an NPC village that was falling apart but had three beds of wheat growing, a "blacksmith" shop (lava and furnaces inside!), and a few other neat features. It was eerie that no one was there (yes I know, no NPCs until next update), and I wondered why the town would have been deserted.

That's when I noticed the cave opening near one of the houses, and the loving spider dungeon inside. Yep, that'll do it :gonk:

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
While the point of the sliver fish is obvious, has it actually been implemented yet? Has anyone been strip mining and gotten pissed off by these little fuckers popping out of random stone blocks?

Joda fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Sep 10, 2011

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
First mob I saw on my first night. :stare:

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

So I was wrong when I guessed it would eventually snow in a boreal forest. It's been raining for a while now.

I guess there's no snow in the game anymore. Has anyone seen anywhere with ice or snow?

Joda posted:

While the point of the sliver fish is obvious, has it actually been implemented yet? Has anyone been strip mining and gotten pissed off by these little fuckers popping out of random stone blocks?
Apparently they're only in stronghold blocks. Maybe. Never seen a stronghold myself, nor a silverfish.

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW
You people and your chasms. I'm too busy building the lighthouse on the edge of an ocean that was never possible. Wonder if I can make a spinning light source at the top.

I was thinking about having a block of lava surrounded by glass which has pistons pushing blocks in a circle around the lava. Not sure if that will work but that's the idea.

Insanity Prawn
Jul 17, 2007
Hooray for moon jesus!

skinny white boy posted:

You people and your chasms. I'm too busy building the lighthouse on the edge of an ocean that was never possible. Wonder if I can make a spinning light source at the top.

I was thinking about having a block of lava surrounded by glass which has pistons pushing blocks in a circle around the lava. Not sure if that will work but that's the idea.

I made something like this before, using this. It's a similar idea, but uses glowstone instead of lava. It was fairly simple to get working.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Bruteman posted:

Favorite moment so far - stumbling upon an NPC village that was falling apart but had three beds of wheat growing, a "blacksmith" shop (lava and furnaces inside!), and a few other neat features. It was eerie that no one was there (yes I know, no NPCs until next update), and I wondered why the town would have been deserted.

I kinda hope that in 1.9 there's still be deserted villages, maybe falling apart and partially wrecked.

Hexadecimal Gnome posted:

Silverfish and Watermelons

EDIT: If you want a good laugh and to see Simon shriek like a little girl, watch the silverfish one.

I thought to myself 'pft, he screams like a little girl every video' but that was hilarious. Also god those things look disgusting and squirmy.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Sep 10, 2011

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Has anyone suffered a massive performance hit in the leaked 1.8? I used to be able to run Minecraft on smooth graphics and a far render distance as smooth as butter back in 1.7.3 but now the game runs on something like 7 frames per second. :(

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Montalvo posted:

Has anyone suffered a massive performance hit in the leaked 1.8? I used to be able to run Minecraft on smooth graphics and a far render distance as smooth as butter back in 1.7.3 but now the game runs on something like 7 frames per second. :(

Nope... I've gained like 20 fps though. Weird.

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

'We've strayed into a zone with a high magical index,' he said. 'Don't ask me how. Once upon a time a really powerful magic field must have been generated here, and we're feeling the after-effects.'
'Precisely,' said a passing bush.
Furnaces only crash when the world is "null" which can happen randomly.

Also, this is directed at the yogscast:

I have a map with a stronghold in it and you can easily transfer this onto the server and make a video about strongholds if needed:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7737298/New%20World.rar

If it's on the server you probably won't spawn in the right place, so the coords are X: 78.9 Y: 33.6 Z: 82.4

(just dig down, and you should find it)

Notgothic
May 24, 2003

Thanks for the input, Jeff!

Eiba posted:

So I was wrong when I guessed it would eventually snow in a boreal forest. It's been raining for a while now.

I guess there's no snow in the game anymore. Has anyone seen anywhere with ice or snow?

I remember reading somewhere in the last few pages that snow is definitely currently not working for anyone, hopefully this will be fixed by Monday.

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

'We've strayed into a zone with a high magical index,' he said. 'Don't ask me how. Once upon a time a really powerful magic field must have been generated here, and we're feeling the after-effects.'
'Precisely,' said a passing bush.

Notgothic posted:

I remember reading somewhere in the last few pages that snow is definitely currently not working for anyone, hopefully this will be fixed by Monday.

You are correct snow does not generate with the new biomes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

One stronghold per world seems insane. What's to stop it from generating hundreds of thousands of blocks out from spawn?