Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Wait are CRTs actually a comedy option?
Aren't there relatively thin ones floating around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 minutes!

Phone posted:

FUCKKKKKK

I take it that the HP ZR24W is decent compared to the Dell 2408 and whatnot?

It's comparable to any high-end 24", it's suppose to compete with the U2412m but without extra inputs.

a pwn cocktail
May 12, 2008

movax posted:

120Hz and 3D seem to go hand in hand, so you'll generally get stuck with 3D capability and 120Hz together. One of the best right now is the Asus VG236H mentioned in the OP list; Anandtech really loved it, and I've enjoyed using one in person. It's $450USD which I think is around 220GBP or so, so it's at the top end of your budget.

Samsung also makes a 22" model, the 2233RZ which is a good deal cheaper with a 1680x1050 resolution. I believe Viewsonic also makes one, and Alienware rebranded someone's 23" panel I think.

The comedy option of course is a CRT. :downs:

Ok, thanks. The asus looks pretty nice. Any opinions on this one? - http://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-W2363D-PF-inch-Wide-Monitor/dp/B003MB61ZM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1315363970&sr=8-2

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
Well my temporary screen died while waiting for some sort of discount on the u2311h. I'm also a poor grad student. Are there any 1080p IPS screens under 200 bucks that are decent? I don't care about screen size anymore though 23 inches is nice.

Also I had an ASUS before and I know they have some sub 200 USD IPS screens but to be honest, I really really really hate their stand design.

Chafe
Dec 17, 2009
Just a heads up but HP seems to be launching a 27" 16:9 LED backlit IPS panel on their website.

Seems pretty nice if you don't need all those features you get from other non-Apple professional 27" monitors because in true HP fashion it has nothing but USB ports, Displayport, and DVI.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
Snazzy, does 600 moon money translate into $600? I've only seen euros get screwed when its $x= £x.

e: vv I know conversion rates, I've just never really seen products that get priced out in £ before USD. I do know that usually a product that sells for $100 USD sells for £100 screwing them, so I was hoping it'd work to our(my) advantage this time. Probably not 800-1000~ sounds about right.

Shmoogy fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Sep 8, 2011

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
A pound is about one and a half dollars (1.6), so that's a twinge under a thousand dollars.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I use my monitor for office stuff, gaming, movies/tv, and the occasional photo editing.

Right now I'm rocking a 5 or 6 year old westinghouse 22 inch monitor which is finally dead. It was a black friday special and had tons of inputs so I was able to run my desktop and 360 off of it. Monitors now have multi inputs so it's no big deal.

My biggest issue is, I want a monitor good enough for everything I do, but was hoping to find something big enough to use to watch movies on from a couch. Is this realistic? Or should I get a monitor + tv and hook them both up. I want a jack of all trades, but I know the correct answer is what ever Dell IPS panel fits in my budget.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Slow is Fast posted:

I use my monitor for office stuff, gaming, movies/tv, and the occasional photo editing.

Right now I'm rocking a 5 or 6 year old westinghouse 22 inch monitor which is finally dead. It was a black friday special and had tons of inputs so I was able to run my desktop and 360 off of it. Monitors now have multi inputs so it's no big deal.

My biggest issue is, I want a monitor good enough for everything I do, but was hoping to find something big enough to use to watch movies on from a couch. Is this realistic? Or should I get a monitor + tv and hook them both up. I want a jack of all trades, but I know the correct answer is what ever Dell IPS panel fits in my budget.

If you like IPS (your usage would benefit from it, but "occasional" photo editing might not warrant it), I would say get a U2311H + a TV that's on sale to get the best of both worlds. 27"+ puts you in the near $1000, >1920x1080 range unless you get a Samsung or something that gives you 1920x1080 in 27" in which case you're pushing into TV range.

How far is your couch from the desk?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I have a Hanns G 28" 1920x1200 monitor that I use as a second monitor for media, that is probably what you want. It's pretty passable for using as a monitor, and I think it was like $250 or something ridiculously cheap like that.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 14 minutes!
If use a computer things other than office spreadsheets and documents - get an IPS.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Tab8715 posted:

If use a computer things other than office spreadsheets and documents - get an IPS.

Well if the case wasn't closed before, it certainly is now.

SuperNuts
May 7, 2004

From the frozen north a... squirrel emerges?!?
:haw:
I'm in the market for a 120hz monitor. I do mostly gaming, but I would like to be able to lay in my bed and watch shows too. Every single "3d" monitor I've seen comes ready for "nvidia 3d". I have an ATi card capable of 3d, will it work with those monitors? It's just a marketing thing throwing the nvidia ready in there right?

Also, I'm leaning toward the Asus VG236HE mentioned in the OP. The PLANAR SA2311W also interested me, but I have no experience with PLANAR. Are they good? I've also been looking at the Alienware OptX AW2310. This seems a bit pricey, but I've always heard good things about Dell, would I just be paying for the "Alienware" name in this case?

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
I'm looking into buying a new 15" laptop (Lenovo T520), and the two screen options are either a decent standard 1600x900 display, or a 95% gamut 1920x1080 display. I would prefer the higher resolution, but I'm very reluctant to buy anything with a wide gamut display. I have a 2408WFP that's seen very limited use because its sRGB emulation mode is terrible, and I can't stand the radioactive oversaturated colours in unmanaged software.

Is there any sort of similar option to the sRGB emulation mode of desktop displays with wide gamut laptop displays? It seems like even getting video to play back colour managed is a huge chore. I hate to buy a new laptop with lower resolution than my current 1680x1050 display, but with no universal colour management in Windows, high gamut seems pretty dumb for most users.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
The wide gamut display is not actually nearly as wide as the 2408WFP. I think the 2408 comes in at something like 115% of the adobe RGB space, while the laptop is specced for 95% Having used both, (I have a W520 with the upgraded display) the one in the laptop is good, but not nearly as eye-popping as a 2408. I'm not sure if the T520 has it as an option, but the W520 can be ordered with a hardware color calibrator built in.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
I realize that the 2408WFP has a higher gamut than the W520/T520 wide gamut display, but the issue is still the same. I have a i1 Display, but profiling only alters the colours in colour managed software like Photoshop and Firefox. With the 2408WFP. all colours in unmanaged applications are intensely oversaturated to a comical level unless I use the unsatisfactory sRGB mode. I gather there are some workarounds for video playback with certain software, but with no universal colour management in Windows I find the whole experience rather unsatisfactory.

Do you not mind the radioactive colour in desktop icons, games, and such?

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Bob_McBob posted:

Do you not mind the radioactive colour in desktop icons, games, and such?

(I have a W520.) The color was fine in Portal and Portal 2, and the desktop colors are only slightly radioactive, except maybe for pure lime green. I wouldn't drop down to 1600x900, but maybe I'd change my mind if I had to browse YOSPOS every day. Actually, no, I don't think I would change my mind.

I guess things would be a lot worse if it was 115%, but it's only 95%. The desktop icons don't look radioactive to me.

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

I'm in the market for a second monitor and I like my Asus monitor at work, and Newegg has some on sale. I can get this one for about $165:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236174

Any thoughts on it as far as quality goes? I was originally leaning towards a 21.5" model, but for the price, I don't think I can beat it.

double sulk fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Sep 11, 2011

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Korgoth posted:

I'm in the market for a 120hz monitor. I do mostly gaming, but I would like to be able to lay in my bed and watch shows too. Every single "3d" monitor I've seen comes ready for "nvidia 3d". I have an ATi card capable of 3d, will it work with those monitors? It's just a marketing thing throwing the nvidia ready in there right?

Also, I'm leaning toward the Asus VG236HE mentioned in the OP. The PLANAR SA2311W also interested me, but I have no experience with PLANAR. Are they good? I've also been looking at the Alienware OptX AW2310. This seems a bit pricey, but I've always heard good things about Dell, would I just be paying for the "Alienware" name in this case?

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

Planar isn't bad, but the Asus has a lot of positive reviews from several different reputable sources, so I would lean towards that model. I'm not sure who the panel maker of the AW2310 is, but it's also a TN panel.

The thing I would be concerned about is that you want to "lay in bed" and watch stuff on the display too. Would you still be able to look at the monitor head-on? As the OP says, TN monitors have poor viewing angles, and depending on how much higher/lower the display is than your head when you're laying down, it may not be as usable as you think.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007

shrughes posted:

I guess things would be a lot worse if it was 115%, but it's only 95%. The desktop icons don't look radioactive to me.

What about video playback? I gather Media Player Classic supports colour management now, and there is some way to force WMP to do it with a really CPU-intensive colour overlay, but software like VLC doesn't have this feature.

I hate to lose resolution, but I just found the whole high gamut experience miserable aside from when I was actually editing photos. With a low-end high gamut display do you have to deal with blues turning purple in colour managed apps? That is always fun with average gamut displays.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

:canada: Canadian Goons :canada:

Dells 12 days of Deals are back on, today is the TN Dell ST2420L 24" for $159.99 ($100 off).

http://www1.ca.dell.com/content/top...YHD32Z-EF1TB-v1

Happycataclysm
Jan 11, 2005

The Fun Machine Took A Shit and Died
My Dell UltraSharp U2412M arrived yesterday. It's a beautiful, beautiful thing!

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I have an old Samsung 24" TFT (245bw) that just looks awful next to my mbp's display. Would any of the $200-250 (extreme low end ips/mva?) 23" or 24" displays be a big improvement? Its impossible to tell in stores where everything is just running crappy demo reels.

FuzzySlippers fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Sep 13, 2011

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

low-key-taco posted:

I have an old Samsung 24" TFT (245bw) that just looks awful next to my mbp's display. Would any of the $200-250 (extreme low end ips/mva?) 23" or 24" displays be a big improvement? Its impossible to tell in stores where everything is just running crappy demo reels.

Any IPS monitor will be a huge improvement over a display even a few years old. If your Samsung looks awful compared to the MBP's TN panel (which is very mediocre itself), even the cheapest IPS displays from LG or Asus will be a massive step up.

The IPS panels the cheaper and more expensive 23" displays use are all pretty similar in terms of image quality, contrast and black levels. What really differentiates them are things like response time, input lag, connections, quality of the stand, etc.

nivdes
Jan 3, 2008

Freedom from democracy

Brought to you by NAZCENTBOL GANG

low-key-taco posted:

If you're shopping within that price range, I highly recommend the HP ZR22w. It's $230 on Amazon with free shipping. The design is nice, the image quality is great for its price, and it has DisplayPort, DVI, VGA and a USB hub with powered ports (you charge your phone with the PC off) The warranty owns - three years parts + labor with onsite service. My backlight started to dim and a black blob grew out of a corner of the screen, with a smell of burnt plastic (short circuit?) They dispatched a technician to replace my screen and he arrived only 3 days after I sent the e-mail. :)

Obviously, if you're turned off by that, consider the warranties offered by the alternatives.

nivdes fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Sep 13, 2011

Wedesdo
Jun 15, 2001
I FUCKING WASTED 10 HOURS AND $40 TODAY. FUCK YOU FATE AND/OR FORTUNE AND/OR PROBABILITY AND/OR HEISENBURG UNCERTAINTY PRINCIPLE.

I finally completed my new setup. A Samsung 305T flanked by 2 Dell 2408s in portrait mode. I know, not the latest greatest IPS displays, but it was cheap, PVA is good enough for me, and I'm happy :)

movax
Aug 30, 2008

New HP IPS panels are coming, including a 27" model!

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Dont see the antiglare coating mentioned, I got a dell 27" this week, and during movies/games I dont notice it but it is visible when browsing. I could still return it but not much point of doing all that work if the HP isn't any different. Has anyone seen that mentioned?

Its also LED backlit instead of CCF, however it uses the same amount of electricity, that seems incorrect.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

2012 & 2010 Dell Ultrasharps 24" on sale in Canada today.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

movax posted:

mmm $725 for 27 inch IPS goodness.. Does Hp deal ever have 20%~ coupons like Dell?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Shmoogy posted:

mmm $725 for 27 inch IPS goodness.. Does Hp deal ever have 20%~ coupons like Dell?

Not directly I think, I remember the last great sale on ZR24ws was via an eBay seller or something. They certainly don't do crazy coupons that you can apply directly from their storefront as often as Dell does.

Also good time to be an UltraSharp seeking :canada: goon.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

movax posted:

Sweet I'll wait to get that 20-21.5" one cause I'm poor. Looks a lot better than that ASUS one. I hate ASUS stands too.

Would like to get a u2311h but cheapest I can find in the states is 270 plus 15 dollar shipping.

nivdes
Jan 3, 2008

Freedom from democracy

Brought to you by NAZCENTBOL GANG

movax posted:

Oh boy :gizz:

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

movax posted:

Also good time to be an UltraSharp seeking :canada: goon.

If I had money, I'd jump on that deal. Unfortunately, tuition is a drain on the bank account :(.

How often do coupons or deals popup that are valid here in Canada?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'm currently using a SyncMaster 2333SW (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001314 )and I'm considering getting a second monitor for a dual monitor setup.

It doesn't look like that model is easily available, is there an easy way to find a good alternative that won't have me stacking books to level my monitors? The 2333sw doesn't have any form of height adjustment.

Also, I won't see quality loss by having one monitor on VGA and one on DVI?

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much
I just bought Gateway's FHD2303L monitor and have been noticing a faint high pitched squeal coming from it. I can really only notice it when I turn my head, but I can't help but think this is okay. I've been using a laptop for the past few years and it's always been entirely silent, so maybe it's just the way this monitor is, but I figured I'd ask so I can deal with it before I go back to college.

e: Actually I just read a review on Amazon that mentioned the same thing. It's pretty drat irritating, might have to exchange it.

DinosaurHouseParty
Oct 31, 2003

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

I just bought Gateway's FHD2303L monitor and have been noticing a faint high pitched squeal coming from it. I can really only notice it when I turn my head, but I can't help but think this is okay. I've been using a laptop for the past few years and it's always been entirely silent, so maybe it's just the way this monitor is, but I figured I'd ask so I can deal with it before I go back to college.
I got a monitor from 2007 that makes a, louder than what you described, noise. It's not uncommon in monitors and most people put up with it. In fact there is quite a few ASUS and SAMSUNG monitors buzzing right from the factory.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Anyone have experience with the LG IPS236V? It looks like a cheap IPS panel but it has HDMI (which I could use) and it's $200. There's also the Asus ML239H which is cheaper

FuzzySlippers fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Sep 15, 2011

Dog eats Dog
Jun 4, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

2012 & 2010 Dell Ultrasharps 24" on sale in Canada today.

I am thinking about getting ones of these. Is the 2010 worth $100 more than the 2012?

I use my computer mostly for some gaming (non fps games), watching shows and just general use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I couldn't say for sure, I have the 2010 and love it to bits. I think it was mentioned in this thread the newer one cuts some corners and lacks some of the main features. Check back a couple pages for talk on that.