Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Terraingen just does crazy-awesome stuff everywhere now. It's great.

and right behind that is

On the one hand, the death of "cool seeds" is a little sad. I guess now they'll be more like "handy seeds for easy exploration of specific features." On the other hand though, it doesn't look like you have to worry about having an amazing world to play in anymore, which far outweighs my nostalgia for loading up cool seeds. There's god knows what around every corner now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
I just noticed something: If you use custom arguments or you launch Minecraft through a Java console you have a console output. In that console, the very last thing it says when you generate a new world is "Placed stronghold in [biome] biome at (x,z)". Should make it at least somewhat trivial to find strongholds. Hope it hasn't been mentioned yet and I somehow missed it.

EDIT: Did some experimentation, and apparently it only does it whenever the stronghold is generated in a chunk.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I need a world to gen that has cliffs to scale and wile e. coyote style islands in the sky. and then I want to go look for a village.

"ratharness" worked ahahaha two steps and that is some wile e coyote poo poo right there. cannot wait to minecart around that.

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Sep 10, 2011

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

'We've strayed into a zone with a high magical index,' he said. 'Don't ask me how. Once upon a time a really powerful magic field must have been generated here, and we're feeling the after-effects.'
'Precisely,' said a passing bush.

Joda posted:

I just noticed something: If you use custom arguments or you launch Minecraft through a Java console you have a console output. In that console, the very last thing it says when you generate a new world is "Placed stronghold in [biome] biome at (x,z)". Should make it at least somewhat trivial to find strongholds. Hope it hasn't been mentioned yet and I somehow missed it.

EDIT: Did some experimentation, and apparently it only does it whenever the stronghold is generated in a chunk.

It says "invalid" right instead of "biome"? It's hard coded to say invalid, and this is only outputted when a stronghold is genned in an ocean.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Is the MC Launcher hosed? I'm trying to download minecraft from it, after nuking my .minecraft folder (since I had mods out the wazoo) and it can't connect. I wanna play 1.8!

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

Fun Shoe

hogofwar posted:

It says "invalid" right instead of "biome"? It's hard coded to say invalid, and this is only outputted when a stronghold is genned in an ocean.

oh.. well my bad.

btw does anyone have a seed that has a village relatively close to spawn? I've generated five worlds so far and explored them all extensively and still no villages.

Galactic
Mar 25, 2009

Planetary

Joda posted:

oh.. well my bad.

btw does anyone have a seed that has a village relatively close to spawn? I've generated five worlds so far and explored them all extensively and still no villages.

Try "Moist" or 'Huy Fong Sriracha Sauce" they both have a village about 50 blocks away from the spawn.

Galactic fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Sep 10, 2011

DaftPVF
Aug 14, 2011
I remember someone asking how to change your world from creative to survival, and here's a way:

GameType:
0 - Survival
1 - Creative

NBTEdit

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
'Westeros' is pretty cool.

Below the overhang in the second screenshot, where you can see the lava is a cool looking cave system.

There's also a giant mountain that reaches into the clouds and a really cool, long valley.

It does seem that there are less Plain Jane seeds now.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
I just ate raw chicken and got sick. :allears:

One of the best parts of 1.8 for me is how easy and fun it is to travel long distaces with sprinting and a full food bar.

Relaxodon
Oct 2, 2010
Just got out of one of those ridiculously huge mines. I have now more planks than i entered with.

To those who, like me, get easily lost in those things:

When you go down a shaft always cut the left of the plank supports. This way you always know which way is out. If you hit a dead end track back to the last intersection and barricade/mark the shaft. If you loop back onto a previously explored shaft mark that somehow, too.

If you want to exit a mine just keep the remaining supports on your left.

These mines are way to big.

Also, has anyone found a piece of land that has NO mine under it?

Shnakepup
Oct 16, 2004

Paraphrasing moments of genius
Weird...just stumbled into an underground ravine full of floating abandoned mines...

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style
Has anyone sucessfully started multiplayer? My friend set up a server and things were working fine, but when a player dies they drop all their accumulated XP in a million tiny particles, which basically kills the server.

jsr v2.0
Jun 26, 2004
japanese seisure robots
On both 1.8 and 1.7, the game crashes for me after about 10 minutes due to being out of memory. How do I fix this? I have the most up to date version of Java, and 8 gigs of ram. I never had this problem on my crappier computer with 2 gigs.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

jsr v2.0 posted:

On both 1.8 and 1.7, the game crashes for me after about 10 minutes due to being out of memory. How do I fix this? I have the most up to date version of Java, and 8 gigs of ram. I never had this problem on my crappier computer with 2 gigs.

It's a glitch right now. That's why this is only a test release. The other major ones are that furnaces sometimes crash the game for some people and that snow doesn't exist.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

jsr v2.0 posted:

Use 64-bit java.

jsr v2.0
Jun 26, 2004
japanese seisure robots

PalmTreeFun posted:

It's a glitch right now. That's why this is only a test release. The other major ones are that furnaces sometimes crash the game for some people and that snow doesn't exist.

I downloaded 1.7 last week and was seeing the same thing, 1.8 hasn't made a difference.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Shnakepup posted:

Weird...just stumbled into an underground ravine full of floating abandoned mines...

I ran into something very similar; guess when it generates the mines it doesn't really detect other underground stuff.

I'm also noticing a bit of choppiness, not necessarily a bad framerate, because even on lowest settings I still get it, and it wasn't a problem prior to this update. Am I alone, or is this just the update?

DraegonX
Mar 19, 2009
I built a quick house in a swamp so I could try to grow some melons and craft some of the new items. When I came out of the house awhile late, there were vines growing all over the side of it.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Lots of my freshly generated worlds in 1.8 have me starting in a pine forest. I'm alright with this. Sometimes the scope is pretty awe-inspiring. I started out on "Grundlesmith" and after a few days of getting a meager hut with small farm up and running I took off towards the setting sun. After a bit I see some massive mountains with a little chunk of earth floating off to one side up in the air, unattached to anything. Like, three blocks. I can't stand those little nubs loving up the skyline so I build up to it to break it down as the rain started up, and get a good look at just how far the forest goes in the process:

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
I just downloaded and installed the 1.8 jar, but it doesn't automatically update the texture files, apparently, so I can't see the hunger or experience bars, or any of the new blocks and items. How do I fix this?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Use the default textures or manually update your texture packs to 1.8.

Relaxodon
Oct 2, 2010

Steelion posted:

I just downloaded and installed the 1.8 jar, but it doesn't automatically update the texture files, apparently, so I can't see the hunger or experience bars, or any of the new blocks and items. How do I fix this?

Use the standard texture pack. It works.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
Well now I feel dumb. I've been playing with the painterly pack for so long I sort of forgot there was a default texture. Thanks!

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
I only have one complaint about 1.8, and that's that placing blocks requires a single click for each block. It makes it really annoying to build... pretty much anything now, let alone do stuff like build roads or rail lines.

Unless I'm missing something, this update kind of ruined the game for me :(

Vertigus
Jan 8, 2011

So I can't really play the game because the launcher is freezing and I assume it's because Minecraft.net is getting hammered or whatever. Why the hell does Notch still have the webserver and auth server combined?

Edit: It'll let me play offline after waiting like 5 minutes for the connection attempt to time out.

Vertigus fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Sep 10, 2011

Trap Star
Jul 21, 2010

thedaian posted:

I only have one complaint about 1.8, and that's that placing blocks requires a single click for each block. It makes it really annoying to build... pretty much anything now, let alone do stuff like build roads or rail lines.

Unless I'm missing something, this update kind of ruined the game for me :(

You're missing the big "pre-release" in the corner. Something like that will presumably be fixes, and even if it wasn't I would hardly consider the game ruined considering all the cool new poo poo there is.

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^
Has anyone else found all the coal moved way the hell up on cliffs (in caverns too but I didn't start near many.) Wonder what that's all about. Fortunately there was a village nearby that I'm now the proud thief owner of.

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW

jsr v2.0 posted:

Had this problem when running the Yogbox. Turns out I needed to update my video driver.

Could be a number of things, though. PC games

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

all of the sudden I can't even run the launcher. java shows up in my processes but nothing happens

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Krinkle posted:

all of the sudden I can't even run the launcher. java shows up in my processes but nothing happens

Ditto, probably some minecraft.net error, trying to load the update page but can't. I used the old launcher to launch just now, and waited 1 min for a timeout.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
My game just did that I think, but I forgot that I had even started it up and was kind of surprised when the launcher appeared like 2 minutes later.

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!
So what do I do if I want to remove experience orbs from me and a friend's multiplayer server? There is a bug that right now causes the server to basically poo poo itself from all the orbs that shoot out from a player when they die.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

For some reason the particle effects (bubbles, smoke from Endermen) all have a horizontal black bar in the top of the sprite and it looks pretty weird, how can I fix this?

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
I'm having more fun than I should with 1.8
Aside from the lighting improvements and the better terrain generation, I'm really enjoying the creative mode. Not because I like to build, but because decimating an entire region to a wasteland via hundreds and hundreds of TNT blocks is way more fun than it should be. I thought I'd share this crater. It's in the middle of a body of water and it goes all the way to the bedrock.

This is the set up I have. It is a ring of dirt with enough TNT on it's surface to completely remove it from existence. It has pillars of TNT, in certain places, that tunnel straight down to the bed rock.

Let's start this thing up.

Getting a pretty massive framerate drop. This screenshot, unfortunately, doesn't do this explosion justice. There are moments when the entire screen is explosion and flying TNT blocks.

For such a destructive substance, TNT makes some pretty waterfalls.

Here is an overhead view of the aftermath. It's a fairly deep chasm.

I have no creativity, so I might as well substitute it with copious amounts of explosives. I kind of wish creative mode had a separate save list where you could save different instances of the same level. The lag when you detonate hundreds on TNT blocks is pretty terrible. I tried to make a giant solid Death Star out of TNT. When a creeper exploded under it, the game crashed every time I loaded the level for like 5 minutes.

I still like 1.8. I hope it get's optimized when it's officially released. Sorry for the enormous reply.

CatBlack fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Sep 10, 2011

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Does anyone have seeds that spawn on (or relatively close to) moderately-sized islands? Currently I've got -8392941136686656334 (at x=-620, z=0), which gives me this:

It's covered with pine forest (so it'll probably be snowy in the full update) and has both hilly and flat land, and the only visible land is the northern desert which is just visible on Far, standing at the closest point of the island. I'm looking for mountainous/cliffy islands as well, or ones with a mix of forest and open land.

moondust
Feb 3, 2011

Mo' Problems
So there's a 1.8 server? Is connection any less buggy? In 1.7.3 I always get "END OF STREAM" errors and the usual suspects.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
There needs to be a big 'level up!' effect a la Diablo III or World of Warcraft.

Speaking of, does leveling up DO anything in the pre-release?

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

Fun Shoe
Nope, it does absolutely nothing and neither will it in the actual 1.8 release. Skills are delayed until 1.9, along with everything else that would give purpose to all the awesome new features.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Repelex
Jun 25, 2010

ketchum while they're young
Is there anyway to fix my low fps? It's really jittery right now and I'm not sure if there are any tweaks yet.