Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
Are mushrooms sentient and really irritable in 1.8 or did your game glitch out? I haven't found any yet but your post piqued my interest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
Does 1.8 make hell available in multiplayer yet?

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

Does 1.8 make hell available in multiplayer yet?

It has been for a while now.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
I wish you could get the actual mushroom blocks for building with. (For anyone who hasn't encountered/made a giant mushroom yet or watched the above video, breaking a mushroom block just gives you a chance to get a mushroom of the appropriate type.) You can sort of spawn them but they use metadata to get the orientation of the outer skin right, so that's tough... I guess MCEdit and/or the various editor mods will step in eventually, though.

DeadBlack posted:

Are mushrooms sentient and really irritable in 1.8 or did your game glitch out? I haven't found any yet but your post piqued my interest.

Same thing as with trees and bonemeal, I think: it grows instantly and if you happen to be where blocks get put, you're stuck inside a block and will therefore take damage.

Vinigre
Feb 18, 2011

Prepare your bladder for imminent release!

wyoming posted:

Fun fact, regardless of what kind of block you plant the mushroom on, it'll turn into dirt if you make it giant.

I hope this stays in as a feature because everything includes obsidian and bedrock, meaning a legitimate way of breaking into the void.

Deep Winter
Mar 26, 2010
Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but how do i prevent mobs from spawning in my fenced-in garden and trampling everything?

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

Deep Winter posted:

Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but how do i prevent mobs from spawning in my fenced-in garden and trampling everything?

Mobs spawn on grass, so make sure there is no grass in the fenced in area.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
How do I stop being retarded and play 1.8? I have the 1.8 jar file, I overwrite the one in .minecraft with the 1.8 jar, but it keeps reverting to 1.7.whatever. And yes I'm playing offline.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

GenericOverusedName posted:

How do I stop being retarded and play 1.8? I have the 1.8 jar file, I overwrite the one in .minecraft with the 1.8 jar, but it keeps reverting to 1.7.whatever. And yes I'm playing offline.

Overwrite the one in /.minecraft/bin

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I only checked the last couple of pages, but does anyone have any idea what leveling up does? I haven't noticed any difference so far.

Also, eating rotten meat changes the color of your food bar but doesn't seem to change health regen at all. No downsides?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Chompers posted:

bloody water worlds

Seed, by chance? I love water worlds.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Taffer posted:

I only checked the last couple of pages, but does anyone have any idea what leveling up does? I haven't noticed any difference so far.

Also, eating rotten meat changes the color of your food bar but doesn't seem to change health regen at all. No downsides?

Not sure on the second, but the answer to the first is "Nothing until 1.9".

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008

GenericOverusedName posted:

Just make sure you are actually copying the 1.8.Jar file and that you put it in the bin folder in '.Minecraft'. Thats all I did and it worked fine.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

After watching that latest Yogs video, holy gently caress 1.8 (and eventually 1.9)

:toot:

I hope we end up with something like that ogre that constantly charges you and destroys blocks (from Mo' Creatures, I believe). Also, more than one stronghold per world. I don't care if there's a flag in there that tells the code not to generate another stronghold for 200 chunks, it'd still be awesome.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Whoa, what's up with the silverfish "nest", or whatever you'd call it, in the Strongholds Yogscast video? Is that an intended feature?

DaftPVF
Aug 14, 2011
They probably just keep spawning from their blocks, like what a mob spawner does.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

DeadBlack posted:

Like Hamiltonian pointed out, sometimes applying bonemeal to plants causes them to "spawn" into the space you occupy. It just so happened that the game decided to smash me into the ground as a result.

I've been having fun searching for ghost towns. It really makes you wonder what kind of weirdos would build their town in a lake. Although it could be flooded lowlands, I suppose.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I would so live in that town IRL. That would be awesome.

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

'We've strayed into a zone with a high magical index,' he said. 'Don't ask me how. Once upon a time a really powerful magic field must have been generated here, and we're feeling the after-effects.'
'Precisely,' said a passing bush.

Lycus posted:

Whoa, what's up with the silverfish "nest", or whatever you'd call it, in the Strongholds Yogscast video? Is that an intended feature?

Okay here's the lowdown:

You spawn a silverfish from breaking a silverfish pregenned block.

When the silverfish is attacking you it can call up silverfish from closeby silverfish blocks, when they spawn they destroy the blocks they were in

When you are away from silverfish and they are not attacking you they can infect a block to turn it into a new silverfish block for the cycle to continue.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

hogofwar posted:

Okay here's the lowdown:

When the silverfish is attacking you it can call up silverfish from closeby silverfish blocks, when they spawn they destroy the blocks they were in

When you are away from silverfish and they are not attacking you they can infect a block to turn it into a new silverfish block for the cycle to continue.

I'm a really big fan of the fact that every creature is defined by unique features, rather than being various reskins of the same idea. This synopsis on Silverfish makes them seem a lot more interesting than I imagined they'd be (I've yet to find any, personally.)

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Infect a block as in they make the block itself a new Silverfish, or they just "hide" in it?

If it's the former that seems like a hilarious, griefy thing to do on a SMP server. When it's quiet you just go and infect a town with silverfish.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
Is the login server completely down now? I've been trying to launch 1.8 for like an hour and it fails every time. Worked fine yesterday...

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Gamerofthegame posted:

Infect a block as in they make the block itself a new Silverfish, or they just "hide" in it?

If it's the former that seems like a hilarious, griefy thing to do on a SMP server. When it's quiet you just go and infect a town with silverfish.

Spam-infest a village with silverfish while inhabitants are gone. When they return, an inhabitant removes one brick during a remodelling and the whole building dissolves into Silverfish.

Oh. That's not nearly as exciting.

VVVVV

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

'We've strayed into a zone with a high magical index,' he said. 'Don't ask me how. Once upon a time a really powerful magic field must have been generated here, and we're feeling the after-effects.'

Gamerofthegame posted:

They change the block and remove themself. Aka they just hide their current self in the block, not make new silverfish.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Silverfish blocks look just like smooth stone, but spawn silverfish when destroyed instead of dropping blocks. Infecting just converts a smooth stone block into a silverfish block.

There's no way to get a silverfish block into your inventory without cheating, so griefing with it won't be possible. Unless you manage to kite silverfish to a city.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I'm having login issues too. :argh:

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Taffer posted:

I think it makes your food bar drain faster.
Sort of a food for quick temporary healing, at least it seemed to working that way when I ate some.

hogofwar posted:

Okay here's the lowdown:

Holy poo poo, these are by far the best enemies in the game. :allears:

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

NOTinuyasha posted:

Is the login server completely down now? I've been trying to launch 1.8 for like an hour and it fails every time. Worked fine yesterday...

https://twitter.com/#!/mollstam/status/112672949525426176

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

pseudorandom name posted:

Silverfish blocks look just like smooth stone, but spawn silverfish when destroyed instead of dropping blocks. Infecting just converts a smooth stone block into a silverfish block.

There's no way to get a silverfish block into your inventory without cheating, so griefing with it won't be possible. Unless you manage to kite silverfish to a city.

They can look like a few different blocks, stone is just their default.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Oh my. That's even better.

Xephos
Sep 10, 2006

hogofwar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXjW2nn_m-0

Nice exploration :D

Also, that "Hatch" was made by me, as well as the hole through bedrock (which I made to kill myself to return to spawn to build the road)

I originally found the stronghold in another place, and when I found a central area I dug up and placed brick to make stairs to make a better entrance.

Also, you are free to post the link to the stronghold world if you so wish, I have no problems with it :P

This update is certainly the strangest I've seen and I'm not really sure I like it much. The new lighting is pretty and can make it a lot less scary, but the two new mobs and creepy never-ending shafts/rooms are utterly pant-wetting.

We actually spent about 45 minutes bumbling about down there and found the other entrance I guess you came in. I realised afterwards that the surface hatch wasn't part of it, but thought I'd leave the suggestion in the video because I wish that was there. I was sorta hoping strongholds would be surface based :\

The spawning "order" seems really off too, so if a cavern or ravine overlaps with a mine or stronghold it gets really messed up. I think currently the order is something like this:

1) Caverns generated
2) Dungeons/Strongholes/Mines generated, leaving a lot of floating doors and weird shapes
3) Ravines generated, cutting strongholds/mines in half

It's hard to tell which way round it is at the moment but I doubt any other order would work any better. Still, I'm sure it'll be tweaked.

In any case this stuff is far more awesome than just square rooms with a mob spawner. I actually had a look around the first stronghold map you sent us in this thread and it had a really cool large dungeon attached to a library, which I thought was very cool indeed.

Vinigre
Feb 18, 2011

Prepare your bladder for imminent release!

hogofwar posted:

They can look like a few different blocks, stone is just their default.

Ah, I thought I saw them come from stone brick blocks when they attacked Lewis. Do you happen to know all the different blocks they can hide in? Damnit, now I need to know everything about their behavior!

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

Vinigre posted:

Ah, I thought I saw them come from stone brick blocks when they attacked Lewis. Do you happen to know all the different blocks they can hide in? Damnit, now I need to know everything about their behavior!

Sorry, I currently do not know all the blocks.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

Do the silverfish drop anything? If they don't they should drop something that lets you craft sliverfish infected blocks.

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

Whitenoise Poster posted:

Do the silverfish drop anything? If they don't they should drop something that lets you craft sliverfish infected blocks.

They only drop experience.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Come to think of it, has anybody found any clay in 1.8?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Come to think of it, has anybody found any clay in 1.8?
Yeah, it's prevalent just underwater in swamps and lakes and oceans, fairly plentiful but not as easy to spot right away.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Are NPCs going to be in strongholds or just villages?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Vib Rib posted:

Yeah, it's prevalent just underwater in swamps and lakes and oceans, fairly plentiful but not as easy to spot right away.

That actually makes sense, really.

EDIT: I think the only thing that's currently on my 'Minecraft wish list' would be for rain to have a consequence, like you getting sick if you spend too much time out there, or certain blocks getting soggy or useless if left out. Is there a mod that does this?

Also, it'd be nice if snow moved to different regions.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Sep 11, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravastars
Sep 9, 2011

Well I just had a random crash attempting to put cobblestone inside a furnace. Not sure what the exact cause was, but it happened straight away. Haven't logged back on yet to see if the crash persists (logging on seems to take forever recently).

Otherwise, it's been pretty smooth. A few FPS drops with too many cows on the screen, but it's cool. I love the improved lighting system and the way chests look now, and the huge mine 'shafts' are excellent. I found two diamonds 10 minutes into my game.

Sadly, pork isn't so valuable any more since you can collect stacks of beef from cows. Aside from saddle-riding, pigs have lost their unique purpose.

And feathers are now a bitch to find.