Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hogofwar
Jun 25, 2011

'We've strayed into a zone with a high magical index,' he said. 'Don't ask me how. Once upon a time a really powerful magic field must have been generated here, and we're feeling the after-effects.'
'Precisely,' said a passing bush.

toggle posted:

Are NPCs going to be in strongholds or just villages?

Villages, strongholds are for monsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

The Silverfish calling other nearby Silverfish is awesome. I can just picture adventure maps having entire rooms dissolve into silverfish if someone breaks the wrong block in a puzzle

Hand Grenade
Feb 19, 2008

I am the all singing, all dancing crap of the world.
check out seed Thats What She Said. spawns you in a good size forest next to a huge mountain range

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

I really don't like poison and poison spiders with the current healing system. Normal damage isn't that bad so you can stay on the move, but poison pretty much forces you to huddle in a corner and wait for both the poison to wear off (especially if you're near a ledge) and your health to regenerate, so it's annoying time waster.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
At the very least poison is poorly balanced and either needs an anti-dote, to have less chance of infection or to do less damage. All it really takes with the new healing system is to be bitten by a spider or two, and then get hit once by a zombie a couple seconds later and you're dead. I don't mind the added tension, but there should be ways to work around that bc being sorrounded by poison spiders it's hard not to get bitten (harder than what the current poison potency justifies.)

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
If you're looking for a large body of water to explore without the annoying starvation factor, "Psamathe" spawns you on the west coast of a continent, with a giant ocean to the east.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Hoofbite
Sep 6, 2003

I found a huge underground ravine and did my best to light it up. By the time I was done I had about 4 stacks of iron.

edit: After finishing that I decided to dig down further at the far end of the ravine in hopes of finding some diamond. I found something else instead:

:stare:

Hoofbite fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Sep 11, 2011

Orv
May 4, 2011
Is anyone else bothered by the fact that if you have too many torches in too close a proximity, the old light seems to return? It goes from nice and warm and good to look at, back to fluorescent lovely bright white. Just something that gets on my nerves.

On the topic of seeds "What Will You Give Me" spawns some very odd mountain ranges, with desert on a couple sides of a nice sort of bowl canyon with a forest to one side. Quite nice.

Vinigre
Feb 18, 2011

Prepare your bladder for imminent release!

Orv posted:

Is anyone else bothered by the fact that if you have too many torches in too close a proximity, the old light seems to return? It goes from nice and warm and good to look at, back to fluorescent lovely bright white. Just something that gets on my nerves.

On the topic of seeds "What Will You Give Me" spawns some very odd mountain ranges, with desert on a couple sides of a nice sort of bowl canyon with a forest to one side. Quite nice.

I think that's because light works in a way that makes it efficient in terms of how much data is about. If I'm not mistaken, the lighting isn't actually colored by source. Rather, it's colored by light level. So 0 is black, moonlight is blue, just above moonlight is reddish orange (redstone torch), then orange/yellow(torchlight), then white at brightest and second brightest.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Hoofbite posted:

I found a huge underground ravine and did my best to light it up. By the time I was done I had about 4 stacks of iron.

edit: After finishing that I decided to dig down further at the far end of the ravine in hopes of finding some diamond. I found something else instead:

:stare:

I have a lava river ravine in my world. It's hard to get a good screenshot of it though, since it's in kind of a cramped area where I can't go up real high to get a good shot of it.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
If you like barren islands with nothing else but water "New History" is the seed for you. Plenty of clay though. You get two trees to start, no mobs.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Eegah posted:

If you're looking for a large body of water to explore without the annoying starvation factor, "Psamathe" spawns you on the west coast of a continent, with a giant ocean to the east.

The rivers on the bottom right of that map looks like a giant person. That's kind of creepy.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Joda posted:

All it really takes with the new healing system is to be bitten by a spider or two, and then get hit once by a zombie a couple seconds later and you're dead.
That's what I love about it. Poison will never kill you on its own, but it makes you temporarily and extremely vulnerable to other enemies nearby, forcing you to prioritize your combat targets.

They're very much like the poison headcrabs in Half Life 2. Won't kill you themselves, but in a battle with other enemies can give you a weakpoint for the other monsters to exploit.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Xephos posted:

The spawning "order" seems really off too, so if a cavern or ravine overlaps with a mine or stronghold it gets really messed up. I think currently the order is something like this:

1) Caverns generated
2) Dungeons/Strongholes/Mines generated, leaving a lot of floating doors and weird shapes
3) Ravines generated, cutting strongholds/mines in half

It's hard to tell which way round it is at the moment but I doubt any other order would work any better. Still, I'm sure it'll be tweaked.

I suspect the ravines are generated second and the dungeons/strongholds/mines are generated last. In that video you found a spiral staircase going down through a ravine without any side walls, which suggests that the ravine was generated first and then the stronghold generation decided to install a spiral staircase there.

I bet spiral staircase generation consists of replacing the regions with the staircase and air, under the assumption they're boring through rock, and it doesn't generate any rock to form walls. If the ravines were generated last, they'd just delete everything in the way, including all the stronghold bits.

Terrain generation seems pretty broken in 1.8pre, so I'm not at all surprised that 1.9 will be different again. Towns have problems with differing terrain heights, mines generate support beams floating in mid air, and strongholds are just plain weird.

On another note, it'd be neat if there was a way to place logs horizontally. Mine supports really shouldn't be wooden planks. It'd only take two bits of storage (vertical, horizontal east/west, horizontal north/south), and I think there's two left for logs.

pseudorandom name fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Sep 11, 2011

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

pseudorandom name posted:

It'd only take two bits of storage (vertical, horizontal east/west, horizontal north/south), and I think there's two left for logs.
Those bits are already used to determine what type of wood the log is, though.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Vib Rib posted:

Those bits are already used to determine what type of wood the log is, though.

That only takes two bits? And there's four per block, right?

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man I had just started a play through of Monkey Island 2 to listen to the commentary, and then 1.8 gets leaked the next day. I've exploring the new terrain and mineshafts and haven't since and don't see myself playing much of anything else for the next week or two.

e: I don't really mind the current terrain feature generation as-is. I think it just adds to the atmosphere a bit, having a rift splitting a stronghold in two. It contributes to the sense of time(or lack thereof) regarding how 'old' the stronghold may be. It could've been a surface structure in the past, buried over the ages with time and seismic activity knocking down walls/floors splitting bits up.

bango skank fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Sep 11, 2011

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

That only takes two bits? And there's four per block, right?
Good point. With 16 metadata options, you could have 3 per type of log for more log types than we even have.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Does anyone have some cool stylized Minecraft wallpapers for desktops? Like ini the same vein as that Minecraft poster here?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Vib Rib posted:

Good point. With 16 metadata options, you could have 3 per type of log for more log types than we even have.

Well, no, 22 = 4, so two bits for log type and two bits for log orientation, with each field having one invalid state.

Clearly we need a fourth type of tree.

And another axis to orient things.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

Master Twig posted:

The rivers on the bottom right of that map looks like a giant person. That's kind of creepy.

Come to think of it, it reminds me a little of...

Welp, I'm definitely not using that seed.

Clockwork-Ringtail
Feb 28, 2007

The Sparky Madgirl
I love vines so much. I think vines are one of my favorite aesthetic things in this patch.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Does anyone have a spawn that starts near a Stronghold or some mushrooms? I have yet to see either.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD
Bah, the furnace crashes and the item spawn glitches are making the pre-release a chore to play, I think I'm just gonna wait for the official release.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Well, no, 22 = 4, so two bits for log type and two bits for log orientation, with each field having one invalid state.
It's not so rigidly defined. Metadata/damage is only ever referred to as an integer 0-15. You could easily have 0=plain logs vertical, 1=plain N/S, 2=plain E/W, 3=redwood logs vertical, 4=redwood N/S, etc.

TRANT RESNER MAN
Jun 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Minrad posted:

Does anyone have a spawn that starts near a Stronghold or some mushrooms? I have yet to see either.

Mushrooms dont spawn but you can create them.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Xephos posted:

The spawning "order" seems really off too, so if a cavern or ravine overlaps with a mine or stronghold it gets really messed up. I think currently the order is something like this:

1) Caverns generated
2) Dungeons/Strongholes/Mines generated, leaving a lot of floating doors and weird shapes

I kind of like the chasms in the middle of mines and and strongholds. It makes it look like some earthquake or other catastrophe ravaged the mine.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I found the mainland on the sea seed posted earlier, it's eastish about 3 or 4 days sailing. Big desert.

EDIT: To be more specific, the seed 1662097789

A Fancy 400 lbs fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Sep 11, 2011

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Vib Rib posted:

It's not so rigidly defined. Metadata/damage is only ever referred to as an integer 0-15. You could easily have 0=plain logs vertical, 1=plain N/S, 2=plain E/W, 3=redwood logs vertical, 4=redwood N/S, etc.

Using 0, 1 and 2 as plain vertical, spruce vertical and birch vertical would keep compatibility with existing worlds.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Holy floating islands, batman!

Seed: 3921986794105440027
x:46
y:86
z:217

e: When the airship mod gets updated the first thing I'm going to do is drive it through here:

Ignimbrite fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Sep 11, 2011

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Seed: Titties&Asses if you want to start next to a huge mountain with a giant cavernous system under it.

I hit bedrock and lava before I ever had to swing my pick, ran out of torches, ran blindly into some crazy spider den with a caged baby spider and got eaten alive.

1.8 loving RULES.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Anyone have any good tiny islands in giant sea seeds?

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Zorak posted:

Anyone have any good tiny islands in giant sea seeds?

1662097789. It was posted yesterday and AFAIK I'm the first one to find the mainland.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I found the mainland on the sea seed posted earlier, it's eastish about 3 or 4 days sailing. Big desert.

EDIT: To be more specific, the seed 1662097789

Glad to know it's out there. My first expedition was west and I eventually starved to death when I reached an island I was going to try cultivation on. I started a second attempt and settled the first large island I found sailing east (about a full day's trip). There I found a vast cavern and mine complex below the island and enough spiderwebs that I could get string, make wool, and eventually get a bed. I may bake myself a few loaves of bread and keep going east to see if I can find that desert.

Edit: The big circular lagoon at that island is actually a giant crater with a hole in the bottom of it that lets it drain into the mines. I wound up digging down into them from the pit on the island, though.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Sep 11, 2011

Galactic
Mar 25, 2009

Planetary
Sorry to bug you all about this, but I am looking for a new seed for my server. Looking for something with lots of mountains and deep deep ravines near the spawn. Preferably near some forests and water as well.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I'm a really big fan of the fact that every creature is defined by unique features, rather than being various reskins of the same idea. This synopsis on Silverfish makes them seem a lot more interesting than I imagined they'd be (I've yet to find any, personally.)

Except most of them aren't. Zombies, zombie pigmen, and spiders are all pretty much identical in that they just bump into you mindlessly. All of the passive mobs are basically the exact same in behavior. That being said, silverfish are definitely not like the others and actually have a unique, interesting gimmick. The only problem I see is that a lot of players in multiplayer won't ever interact with them. From what I gather they only spawn in Strongholds, so as soon as a few players clear those out sliverfish will cease to exist in multiplayer worlds (unless the map has unlimited sized).

Not sure what to think of Endermen yet. I suppose I'll know when I play 1.8 when its officially released and Lost Shard is updated. Right now they just seem like warping zombies to me, which is lame but any diversity is better than none.

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

1662097789. It was posted yesterday and AFAIK I'm the first one to find the mainland.

Found the mainland yesterday, brah. Now I've got to figure out how to get back thanks to a glitch that wouldn't teleport me back to the bed. Nooootch!!

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

skinny white boy posted:

Found the mainland yesterday, brah. Now I've got to figure out how to get back thanks to a glitch that wouldn't teleport me back to the bed. Nooootch!!

Fine then, I'm Leif Ericson and you're Bjarni Herjolfsson. :colbert:

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Fine then, I'm Leif Ericson and you're Bjarni Herjolfsson. :colbert:

:downs: Would you share the mainland coordinates, please? I can't get back without them!

You can be first, I just want my lighthouse back. I've got it situated on a little peninsula across from a cave along the short. It's perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Xephos posted:

1) Caverns generated

It's hard to tell which way round it is at the moment but I doubt any other order would work any better. Still, I'm sure it'll be tweaked.

I didn't mind it in the one you did a video on... it kinda gives the impression of a crumbling stronghold, with earth movements and stuff over time messing it up. But in the first one linked in this thread it's a bit of an issue, yeah. That's seriously hosed up, that one.

Hey, are the Yogsboys gonna do a video on Creative mode?

Xephos posted:

In any case this stuff is far more awesome than just square rooms with a mob spawner. I actually had a look around the first stronghold map you sent us in this thread and it had a really cool large dungeon attached to a library, which I thought was very cool indeed.

I finally found that, and I suspect that's not the stronghold code - the dungeon just happened to generate inside the stronghold (or the stronghold over the top of the dungeon, whatever).

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Sep 11, 2011