Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

yeah trying to cook a chicken sure did crash everything. with all these bugs I don't know about a monday release. when have they ever cleaned up this much that fast?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
X: -366.25
Y: 72.62
Z: -1271.46

It's in the middle of the desertish area before the forest. Nearby is this:

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Is there a list of texture packs that have been updated for 1.8?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Use the default texture pack, wait for 1.8's official release.

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

X: -366.25
Y: 72.62
Z: -1271.46

It's in the middle of the desertish area before the forest. Nearby is this:

Sweet, thanks! Although I did just find it after adding a boat to my inventory. But this will work for when I do something stupid with beds again and get upset.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Internet Kraken posted:

Except most of them aren't. Zombies, zombie pigmen, and spiders are all pretty much identical in that they just bump into you mindlessly.
Silverfish also chase directly after you and bump into you mindlessly. If you boil down every mob's behavior solely to its means of attack then yes, many of them are similar. But spiders climb, don't burn, and are passive in daylight. Pigmen swarm and charge and are passive unless provoked. I think it's an exaggeration to call them nearly identical to zombies just because they all have melee attacks.

I will agree that the passive mobs are pretty much all alike, but I'm not sure what kind of behaviors they should have to set them apart. I mean, sheep and cows behave pretty similar on the whole in real life.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Land ho!

Now to explore the shoreline and look for native people to exploit.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

So, someone's apparently fixed the furnace crash here. So, that should make the leak a lot more playable.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*

Cheeky fuckers. Go off to my mine for fifteen minutes and this happens. :argh:

Coach Sport
Jul 3, 2003
And we care about this shitty poster...why?

Internet Kraken posted:

Except most of them aren't. Zombies, zombie pigmen, and spiders are all pretty much identical in that they just bump into you mindlessly. All of the passive mobs are basically the exact same in behavior. That being said, silverfish are definitely not like the others and actually have a unique, interesting gimmick. The only problem I see is that a lot of players in multiplayer won't ever interact with them. From what I gather they only spawn in Strongholds, so as soon as a few players clear those out sliverfish will cease to exist in multiplayer worlds (unless the map has unlimited sized).

Not sure what to think of Endermen yet. I suppose I'll know when I play 1.8 when its officially released and Lost Shard is updated. Right now they just seem like warping zombies to me, which is lame but any diversity is better than none.

Silverfish can reportedly spread to adjacent blocks when they're in their passive state, so you might end up with more of them than you expect. Endermen are pretty fun to fight, they teleport really frequently so you wind up doing a lot of spinning trying to figure out which direction they're coming from. They aren't scary, but they fill a nice role as a tougher enemy. It would be nice if Notch differentiated the basic enemies more, like giving zombies a lot more hp or making spiders a bit faster (they already leap and climb).

Vinigre
Feb 18, 2011

Prepare your bladder for imminent release!

Coach Sport posted:

Silverfish can reportedly spread to adjacent blocks when they're in their passive state, so you might end up with more of them than you expect. Endermen are pretty fun to fight, they teleport really frequently so you wind up doing a lot of spinning trying to figure out which direction they're coming from. They aren't scary, but they fill a nice role as a tougher enemy. It would be nice if Notch differentiated the basic enemies more, like giving zombies a lot more hp or making spiders a bit faster (they already leap and climb).

Spiders can already run faster than the player, so I don't think that's necessary.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

PalmTreeFun posted:

They can move the unmovable. :ohdear:

Time to build an idol to appease them.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

PalmTreeFun posted:

Ahahahahaha ok loving the endermen now that is funny as hell.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I wonder if endermen can move bedrock...

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Glass should really produce glass shards when broken that you can throw into a furnace to make more glass.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

pseudorandom name posted:

Glass should really produce glass shards when broken that you can throw into a furnace to make more glass.

I've been wanting a tool to replace glass for so long. I know its just one glass but come on noone builds houses with the glass built INTO the wall so the only option is to break out all your windows and go make new ones.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Vib Rib posted:

Silverfish also chase directly after you and bump into you mindlessly. If you boil down every mob's behavior solely to its means of attack then yes, many of them are similar. But spiders climb, don't burn, and are passive in daylight. Pigmen swarm and charge and are passive unless provoked. I think it's an exaggeration to call them nearly identical to zombies just because they all have melee attacks.

I will agree that the passive mobs are pretty much all alike, but I'm not sure what kind of behaviors they should have to set them apart. I mean, sheep and cows behave pretty similar on the whole in real life.

The reason I didn't mention those minor differences becuase they are just that; minor differences. A spider's ability to climb changes almost nothing becuase its AI is far to primitive to make use of it effectively. The differences between zombies and pigmen are even more trivial. Silverfish on the other hand have a gimmick that actually makes them function in a significantly different way.

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

My favorite seed I've found so far: Little Fluffy Clouds
Spawn is on a mountain range on a peninsula jutting out into the ocean, with a massive forest to the east separated by a river, plains and a very tiny village north, and an enormous desert to the northeast:

I absolutely adore how this world looks. It's like an intentionally crafted environment from a 16-bit game, like a Dragon Quest or an Ultima, rather than randomly generated looking. Everything just makes sense and feels right. Also look at those chasms exposed in the cross section in the southeast, can't wait to explore that poo poo.

Screenshots:

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Players have swinging animations so please Notch let the zombies move their arms :( I mean jeez maybe then I wouldn't be so mad at dieing because there is a crowd of undead bumping me to death. I hate getting knocked back because something bumped me. If the zombie even swung feebly I'd be like, "Zombies are strong since they don't know pain and can just swing an arm at your mouth with no disregard." I'd be a happy man then. Anything other than, "Oh no that idiot is going to attempt to occupy my space I'm in which will result in my death."

Zombies just want to be where you ARE at all times. Whats that your standing on that brick? WELL I WANT TO STAND ON THAT BRICK MOVE!

Speaking of that, where is the snow? Has anyone found any yet? I don't get far since I'm loving chasms and the second I find one i dive in but I have seen no snow in any sceenshots posted here
V

verbal enema fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Sep 11, 2011

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Even without every other feature added, just the world gen changes alone would've made this a major patch. Everything else is just icing on that delicious, delicious cake.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Internet Kraken posted:

The reason I didn't mention those minor differences becuase they are just that; minor differences. A spider's ability to climb changes almost nothing becuase its AI is far to primitive to make use of it effectively.
The leap that spiders have prior to attacking alone sets them apart, and often sees them scoring hits way more often than zombies do, especially on uneven terrain.
The differences are not so minor you should pretend they don't exist.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
Poison spiders. Thank god they only spawn in abandoned mineshafts.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Jetsetlemming posted:

Out of curiosity, what program produced that map?

Jetsetlemming
Dec 31, 2007

i'Am also a buetifule redd panda

Shima Honnou posted:

Out of curiosity, what program produced that map?
Cartograph.
http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/153066-cartograph-g-map-your-beta-17/

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Master Twig posted:

The rivers on the bottom right of that map looks like a giant person. That's kind of creepy.

DEATH TAKE YOU

Only registered members can see post attachments!

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

Jetsetlemming posted:

Little Fluffy Clouds

That map looks awesome. I can only imagine a warring states server where countries are divided on river lines, where they fight for control of the server and any who they defeat get deported to the vast ocean.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Vib Rib posted:

The leap that spiders have prior to attacking alone sets them apart, and often sees them scoring hits way more often than zombies do, especially on uneven terrain.
The differences are not so minor you should pretend they don't exist.

I'm not pretending they don't exist, they're just so mad minor that half the time I forgot those differences even exist. I'm talking about things that actually make a difference in how you deal with that monster. Zombies, spiders, and pigmen are all dealt with in the same way becuase they all act the same.

Minecraft has a lot things. Widely varied enemies is not one of them. Which is why I'm glad more mobs are being added that actually change things.

PalmTreeFun posted:

Poison spiders. Thank god they only spawn in abandoned mineshafts.

How exactly do these areas work? If you removed every original block in that mineshaft would it still be considered one, and thus would the spiders still spawn there?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Eegah posted:

If you're looking for a large body of water to explore without the annoying starvation factor, "Psamathe" spawns you on the west coast of a continent, with a giant ocean to the east.

This is brilliant. We need a list of seeds like this one with huge oceans and a spawn that starts you right on the coast. This is robinson crusoe in digital form right here.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
"Charon" starts you off with a pretty deep pit behind you to your left. This leads all the straight down to an abandoned mine shaft with some exposed diamonds.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
I think my favorite feature of 1.8 so far is that, since water features as a whole are generally much deeper, it is way easier to find underwater caves than it was previously.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Internet Kraken posted:

How exactly do these areas work? If you removed every original block in that mineshaft would it still be considered one, and thus would the spiders still spawn there?

They come from mob spawners that only occur in abandoned mineshafts. They're also usually encased 20 blocks deep in spiderweb, which can make it hard if you've only got a stone sword...

Gooch
Oct 30, 2006

How do maps work? I can get map 0 to display but I moved off the map and brought up a new one and it just displays an empty parchment.

edit: vv Thanks Mike vv

Gooch fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Sep 11, 2011

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
So I've discovered the best part of the new animal behaviour. They spaz the gently caress out when they catch on fire. :supaburn:

It's wonderful how much these little touches add.

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.
I think it will take a few days to get tired of just flying around a map and seeing what it will generate.

A ravine that cuts across a small landscape, narrowly avoiding getting flooded? Sure.

Edit: Whoops giant. Anyways I just found a lake that was 1x1 square. There's some odd stuff spawning with this build, that's for sure.

Joust fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Sep 11, 2011

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Gooch posted:

How do maps work? I can get map 0 to display but I moved off the map and brought up a new one and it just displays an empty parchment.

Maps are centred on where they're first created. Shift-clicking as you craft creation will recreate map zero, otherwise each time will make a new map centred on creation.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I just found a village with 16 buildings, 6 farms, and a well

It is a loving city :psyduck:

EDIT: Also, the Seed was "Something Awful"

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

What actually makes this update own so much is not so much the extra content (which in itself loving rules), is the fact that it feels completely re-balanced. I actually like the food/armor/health system (although waiting for a recharge is a bit annoying) , the enemys seem more numerous but a teeny bit nerfed, which is prefarable because it makes for more action, irons a lot more numerous, and you can pretty loving quickly find hardcore action straight away. With in 2 days I had iron armor and sword and was punching the poo poo through some abandoned mine.

But oh god the poison spiders. gently caress those things!

I still havent encountered a town or any of the endermen things yet.

Best update ever. I hope 1.9 brings a tonne of cool poo poo. It sounds like the mojang guys are really on a roll at the moment.

Lagoon
Jan 28, 2011

crazylakerfan posted:

I just found a village with 16 buildings, 6 farms, and a well

It is a loving city :psyduck:

EDIT: Also, the Seed was "Something Awful"

Position please?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Lagoon posted:

Position please?

around 120,120

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lagoon
Jan 28, 2011

crazylakerfan posted:

around 120,120

Boss. Thanks for that :D