Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toxick
Oct 20, 2008
I have a base 2010 13" MacBook Pro I'm thinking of selling in the SA-Mart. They're selling for $899 in the Apple refurb store. How much could I reasonably sell mine for? It's in very good condition, no dings or scratches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Does it have AppleCare? Any upgrades? Otherwise expect less than refurb.

I believe a 13" just sold a few weeks ago for $750.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

toxick posted:

I have a base 2010 13" MacBook Pro I'm thinking of selling in the SA-Mart. They're selling for $899 in the Apple refurb store. How much could I reasonably sell mine for? It's in very good condition, no dings or scratches.

I got $900 for mine right after the 2011's came out, I've seen them sell for more, and less. :wtf:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

I got $900 for mine right after the 2011's came out, I've seen them sell for more, and less. :wtf:
Yeah it's worth whatever someone is willing to pay. Plenty of people don't know about the refurb store, so there's always the potential to fleece someone. Just start high and negotiate down.

toxick
Oct 20, 2008

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Does it have AppleCare? Any upgrades? Otherwise expect less than refurb.

I believe a 13" just sold a few weeks ago for $750.

No AppleCare, no hardware upgrades, but it's running Lion and iLife 2011. I'm expecting less than refurb but I'm hoping for at least $800.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I want an SE/30 so bad.

I miss mine so. loving. much. :(

OldMac I lust after: a fully loaded II ci. Those things were fuckin' pimp as poo poo.

Other Stevemachine I lust after:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I want one just to run the Doom level editor on.

Although Quiver on an old PowerPC would rule too.

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -- mass hysteria.
Crossposted from the Mac Software thread:

Just bought an 80GB Intel 320 series SSD to put in an old black macbook. Through previous experience I've had to do this round-a-bout procedure to get OS X onto a new HDD and it almost always works:

1) Boot from my Snow Leopard Upgrade/Install disc on a separate 13" MBP
- The new drive is connected via USB to this machine as well.
2) Via 'Disk Utility' on the install disc, format the new drive (Mac OS Extended Journaled, GUID, etc.)
3) Begin the installation process.
4) Finish install, put the new HDD into whatever machine I want it to be in.

I've tried this with the new SSD twice today, but both times the installation has failed. The progress bar will fill up halfway, after about 15 minutes, and will just say 'Install Failed'.

I'm at my wit's end with this and about ready to loving throw every computer I own and the new SSD off my balcony. WTF am I doing wrong?

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Venkmanologist posted:

WTF am I doing wrong?

I'm assuming you left out the part where your MacBook's optical drive is dead and it also won't boot from a self-made USB OS X drive or any other USB drive?

A FireWire 800-400 cable would let you boot the the MBP in target disk mode to the MacBook. You could then boot the MacBook from the OS X disc over FireWire or any other partition on the MBP for that matter. I keep an external enclosure around that does FW 400/800/USB so that I can create various bootable partitions.

If you had no other resources you could make two partitions on your USB-connected SSD from the MBP: one just large enough for an OS X install image and one free space. Then put it back in the MacBook and boot from the install image.

Venkmanologist
Jun 21, 2007

Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together -- mass hysteria.
The original drive in the black Macbook was dead. Whenever I've tried to boot from the Snow Leopard disc to install directly to a new hard drive on that machine, it won't even let the installation begin because it says the hard drive doesn't already have a version of OS X on it. This is why I instal to the hard drive on another machine that is still running OS X.

I know its because the Snow Leopard disc is technically only for upgrades, but I KNOW there is a full install on that DVD. I've read articles where you're supposedly able to turn that DVD install a retail install disc by copying the image and removing particular files, but its never worked for me.

ndrake
Mar 29, 2002

You know, this is a damn fine cup of coffee.
Is there much of a real world difference between last year's and this year's (thunderbolt) imac? It looks like the higher spec'd 2010 27" model goes for about $1500 vs 2000 for this year's equivalent. Other than the thunderbolt port and sandy bridge I can't tell much changed. Is the processor really that much of an upgrade (both are quad core i5's, right)? For casual use, occasional games, what does the extra $500 get?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

The i5 Lynnfield quad (2010 iMac) is still plenty fast for most applications. Mine doesn't skip a beat while processing thousands of 18MP RAW files or basic 1080p editing. Unless you're doing Final Cut or 3D rendering, I wouldn't worry too much about the Lynnfield vs. Sandy Bridge argument for a desktop. Mobile on the other hand...
For casual use/gaming, don't worry about it.

ThunderBolt is nice but I don't expect it to become widely adopted for mainstream accessories.

ndrake
Mar 29, 2002

For casual use/gaming, don't worry about it.

ThunderBolt is nice but I don't expect it to become widely adopted for mainstream accessories.

Thanks. So like something like diablo 3 - not much of a difference in these two computers? I assume the processor/video card upgrades are minor? The facetime HD just doesn't do it for me...

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

The 6970 is a pretty significant jump, but that's the high-end SKU. The 6770 is basically identical to the 5750 from the old high-end 27". Diablo 3 won't care about Lynnfield vs. Sandy Bridge.

ndrake
Mar 29, 2002

The 6970 is a pretty significant jump, but that's the high-end SKU. The 6770 is basically identical to the 5750 from the old high-end 27". Diablo 3 won't care about Lynnfield vs. Sandy Bridge.

Thanks. Now if only I could bring a 27" home and see how ridiculous it looks on my desk...

Also- hard drive on an imac is not user replaceable, right (at least not without voiding the warranty)? An extra $600 for a 256 gb in the BTO is insulting; how about an extra $250 for a 128 gb SSD? What on earth do you need 256 for if you have a 1 TB drive as well? I guess an optibay in place of the superdrive would work, but I assume the geniuses can tell if you yank the glass of an imac, and that it's then no longer under warranty.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Genius has to yank the glass off as well when they work on it. How would they know if it was you?

Looking at this guide it looks more involved than I'd like but I'd probably do it after the warranty runs out on mine to upgrade whatever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3w6E2_XqaBw

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Sep 11, 2011

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

I did it this week. It is not difficult, just make sure you have a couple of $3 mini suction handles ready, a clean work area, and don't lift the screen out of the bezel quickly because there are 4 wires connected.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

ndrake posted:

Thanks. Now if only I could bring a 27" home and see how ridiculous it looks on my desk...

Also- hard drive on an imac is not user replaceable, right (at least not without voiding the warranty)? An extra $600 for a 256 gb in the BTO is insulting; how about an extra $250 for a 128 gb SSD? What on earth do you need 256 for if you have a 1 TB drive as well? I guess an optibay in place of the superdrive would work, but I assume the geniuses can tell if you yank the glass of an imac, and that it's then no longer under warranty.

No, it's user replaceable. Click on almost any page in this thread or the older one and you'll see somebody talking about wanting to do it, about to do it, or having already done so. You can mess with the HDD and RAM in any mac that doesn't have them soldered to the motherboard (though the unibody notebooks require a special screwdriver) and not void the warranty. I think they object to optibays, but you can easily swap those back if you ever need to bring your computer in for something.

It's also really, really easy to pull the glass off of an iMac and put it back on, as it's only held in place by some pins and magnets. But it's also really, really easy to damage the screen and God help you if you get anything dusty.

Also (not sure if you already knew this and were kidding), the purpose of popping a small SSD in with a big HDD is to put all of your system and program files on the SSD- which is really fast- and your media and docs on the HDD- which isn't.

---Sorta beaten

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Electric Bugaloo posted:

(though the unibody notebooks require a special screwdriver)
Only the Air uses pentalobe screws because no part of it is considered user serviceable. Everything else uses Phillips for the bottom panel, and Torx on the hard drive screws.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Also (not sure if you already knew this and were kidding), the purpose of popping a small SSD in with a big HDD is to put all of your system and program files on the SSD- which is really fast- and your media and docs on the HDD- which isn't.

---Sorta beaten

The thing is that Apple only has the option of paying $600 for a 256gig SSD. Why not offer a cheaper 128gig option since the huge hard drive is already there for storage?

And yeah I upgraded my 15" MBP using a small phillips and a T6 Torx screw which are standard parts you can buy in any hardware store.

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

anime comes to life and kisses me on the lips
Will Apple do anything about cracking and peeling plastic on a 3 year old white MacBook? I'm not sure whether it's a known defect like the rubber bottom peeling off, but is seems like it could be worth a call to Apple's tech support even though the laptop's out of warranty? These cases were very poorly made...

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on getting myself that iMac I've been dreaming about for so long, but I have a few last questions for you guys.

- Changing the RAM yourself does not void the warranty/Applecare, right?
- If not: what RAM can you recommend? I know it's PC3-10600 1333MHz SO-DIMM, but are there any brands or variations that are better or worse? (I'm from Europe so no need to post links to US stores.)
- Trackpad or magic mouse? The trackpad seems neat and I've gotten quite used to my MacBook-trackpad, and I'm planning on using a regular old wired mouse for games etc. anyways. Are there any downsides to the trackpad?
- I have an adapter to connect my MacBook to my old TV (white 2007 MacBook, so I think it's a MiniDVI-port that I plug a composite/S-video adapter into, and then it plugs into a scart block). Can I connect my old, non-HD TV to the iMac?
- On a slightly unrelated note, I'm being offered the option of getting a printer with quite a discount together with my new Mac. This'd let me get a HP Photosmart 5510 e-All-in-One for under €10 (under $15). Does anyone know any significant downsides to this printer/getting printers through Apple?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
RAM is user replaceable, although I have no clue if there's any issues with particular brands or anything. On the new Mac minis it seems like an abnormal amount has issues with Corsair but haven't looked into iMacs. Generally I just get whatever's cheapest from a name I recognize that matches the specs, like I've gotten whatever "value RAM" model lines for my last few machines. Just find some set and :google: the model number with "iMac", that tends to bring up user experiences with the combo.

Trackpad/mouse: as long as you're used to it already you should know whatever downsides there are to them. The Magic Trackpad is basically a giant version of what the notebooks have had, perhaps a bit more advanced if you have an older MB.

For TV output you'll have to get a Mini DisplayPort to VGA adapter/cable, then some VGA to composite/s-video box (this has to be an active adapter, not some passive cable).

ndrake
Mar 29, 2002

Mu Zeta posted:

The Genius has to yank the glass off as well when they work on it. How would they know if it was you?

Looking at this guide it looks more involved than I'd like but I'd probably do it after the warranty runs out on mine to upgrade whatever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3w6E2_XqaBw

I assumed there's a tripwire or something, sort of like the little stickers on cell phones that prove exposure to water.

kuskus posted:

I did it this week. It is not difficult, just make sure you have a couple of $3 mini suction handles ready, a clean work area, and don't lift the screen out of the bezel quickly because there are 4 wires connected.

Good to know. The video doesn't look easy, but it doesn't look impossible.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

---Sorta beaten

As was pointed out- I don't need 256 gb for my system files. I need 64 or 128 gb. Those would be reasonably priced options. The 256 + 1 tb just doesn't make sense to me given the cost.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Autism Monday posted:

Will Apple do anything about cracking and peeling plastic on a 3 year old white MacBook? I'm not sure whether it's a known defect like the rubber bottom peeling off, but is seems like it could be worth a call to Apple's tech support even though the laptop's out of warranty? These cases were very poorly made...

Sure, just that if it's any portion other than the keyboard/trackpad piece, you'll have to pay for it.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Oh poo poo, someone on my local craigslist is selling a nicely upgraded SE/30 for $30. :dance:

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
This might not be the exact place to ask, but does anyone know anything about TV Tuners for an iMac? Looking around online and not really coming up with much. Is there a clear favorite out there or can anyone share their experiences?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I think the Elgato ones are the ones normally recommended.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Autism Monday posted:

I know I was beaten, but to clarify:

I assume that the only plastic that could be cracked/peeling is around the palmrest area. That's a known defect and any Apple store should give you a full topcase replacement for free. Don't worry about warranty- assuming it's the problem I think it is, it's a no questions asked fix.

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem
What do you guys think of the rain mstand?

Karsh
Dec 22, 2004

this is my destiny
Plaster Town Cop

Jam2 posted:

What do you guys think of the rain mstand?

I use one with my 13" Air and it's great. There's not much to say about a laptop stand, but.. It's great.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007

japtor posted:

RAM is user replaceable, although I have no clue if there's any issues with particular brands or anything. On the new Mac minis it seems like an abnormal amount has issues with Corsair but haven't looked into iMacs. Generally I just get whatever's cheapest from a name I recognize that matches the specs, like I've gotten whatever "value RAM" model lines for my last few machines. Just find some set and :google: the model number with "iMac", that tends to bring up user experiences with the combo.

Trackpad/mouse: as long as you're used to it already you should know whatever downsides there are to them. The Magic Trackpad is basically a giant version of what the notebooks have had, perhaps a bit more advanced if you have an older MB.

For TV output you'll have to get a Mini DisplayPort to VGA adapter/cable, then some VGA to composite/s-video box (this has to be an active adapter, not some passive cable).

Thank you for your answer.

I just found out that iMacs have four RAM slots instead of just two, as I thought it had. Can I keep the 2*2GB that's already in there and just stick, for example, 2*6GB next to it? Or would this have issues compared to just replacing everything with 2*8GB?

Autism Monday
Mar 18, 2005

anime comes to life and kisses me on the lips

Space Racist posted:

Sure, just that if it's any portion other than the keyboard/trackpad piece, you'll have to pay for it.

I'm talking about the plastic cover that's around the keyboard and trackpad (which I'm assuming is all one piece), the edges are coming off and leaving gaps between the bottom of the case and the top part. Same thing is happening around the display bezel for some reason. So you're saying Apple may cover replacement for the trackpad/keyboard cover?

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I know I was beaten, but to clarify:

I assume that the only plastic that could be cracked/peeling is around the palmrest area. That's a known defect and any Apple store should give you a full topcase replacement for free. Don't worry about warranty- assuming it's the problem I think it is, it's a no questions asked fix.

Thanks for clarifying, here's a pic I found online that shows where the problem areas are:

Same thing is happening around the display area though, as I said above...

Autism Monday fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Sep 11, 2011

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Jolan posted:

Thank you for your answer.

I just found out that iMacs have four RAM slots instead of just two, as I thought it had. Can I keep the 2*2GB that's already in there and just stick, for example, 2*6GB next to it? Or would this have issues compared to just replacing everything with 2*8GB?

I have 2x2x4 and it runs fine.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Autism Monday posted:

Same thing is happening around the display area though, as I said above...

Yep. That'll be your standard macbook topcase palmrest crack. As for the screen bezel, I have never in my life heard of that cracking, but I suppose they might do something about that if it went about the same way as the palmrest.

take boat
Jul 8, 2006
boat: TAKEN

Nitr0 posted:

If you're going to buy it anyways it doesn't matter if you buy it now or in a year.
Well, I was being facetious. A $350 loan isn't worth the hassle for most people.

But in principle, it's always better to pay money later instead of now. That's the point of a loan, after all.

SpoonsForThought
Jul 1, 2007

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Yep. That'll be your standard macbook topcase palmrest crack. As for the screen bezel, I have never in my life heard of that cracking, but I suppose they might do something about that if it went about the same way as the palmrest.

They repair the screen bezel cracking for free as well. I had this done about two weeks ago.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Screen bezels also crack, happened on my mid 2009 MB. Corners crumbled off. They'll replace this too, for the same models covered by the top case program.

e;f;b

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Sep 12, 2011

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Mu Zeta posted:

Not a genius, but I can tell when someone gives me an iMac and the glass is chipped from where some noob decided that suction cups are for retards and used a screwdriver or putty knife to lift the glass instead.

It's not an overly complex task to open a metal iMac, more tedious than anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

I have 2x2x4 and it runs fine.

2x2x4? 2x6? You guys are confusing me

I have 4x2GB in my iMac for a total of 8GB.