Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
Yeah, but you can't reasonably level combat in the traditional MUD sense without being powerleveled, which I think is a flaw in the design, personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
K, I'm by the lighthouse in Corellia. I'll try and figure out how to get to the landing pads and meet you outside Gamma.

-e- there now.

A Misandrist Duck
Jun 13, 2005

by Fistgrrl
Newbie-on-newbie PKing is my favorite kind of PKing.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Oh poo poo, it's the fuzz! :jeb:

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Also I have no idea how to ask to join a clan in IC terms. Or are clans an IC term themselves?

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

talk I'm looking for an organization to join, is anyone hiring an aspiring combatant?

Edit to clarify: "Clan" is (usually) not an IC term, "organizations" "company" and so on work instead. The 'clans' command shows a list of all the clans currently in the game.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
I just logged onto an old character on LotJ, which apparently is still around. I should probably just start over with a bunch of skills, but I figure'd maybe I should learn to play first.

I guess I should just join a clan as well?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

fnordcircle posted:

RE: Armageddon

I just started playing again and the nostalgia overload is high. It's been about 5 years.

What are some of the recent changes that are pissing people off? I've read a lot of comments like 'I am unhappy with where the game is going so I am quitting' but I'm not sure what they are referring to.

I can't believe they have skill level indicators now. That was anathema to everything they used to do.

What's the defense nerf? Can a ranger do anything solo anymore with all the bash spam people are talking about?

What other things are different from 5 years ago that I'm going to hate now?

I could give two shits less about the code changes. The problem with Arm is that nothing happens, and the biggest leadership PCs currently are all entirely ignorant of, or pointedly ignore theme files and realism while the others who try are ignored by staff, so they can do nothing to fix it or correct it. The better of the two Allanaki templars wears literally Tuluki whore outfits, fucks elves, and doesn't torture people. That's the better Templar. She also uses OOC info, and twists poo poo around, with AIM-interaction bullshit.

Enjoy your nostalgia while it lasts. The game was so great, but, well.. it's a hollow, empty shell now, devoid of the players and staff who used to make it great, and filled with the cast off remnants, squirming around, trying to pretend they're still relevant. It's basically reenacting the Gilded Age, but a nerdy desert apocalypse world's version.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

nucleicmaxid posted:

The better of the two Allanaki templars wears literally Tuluki whore outfits, fucks elves, and doesn't torture people. That's the better Templar. She also uses OOC info, and twists poo poo around, with AIM-interaction bullshit.

Jesus Christ. If even half of what you say is accurate that's ridiculous. Though everyone talked about Ihsahn as if he was the greatest templar ever but I watched that fucker get an email from me when I was a storyteller (and he was too) letting him know one of my nobles was going to be instructed to try to maniuplate Ihsahn through seducing him. He replies in an email 'Ihsahn will not be controlled.' Then he kills the noble the next day.

I dunno I guess your example is just more glaringly heinous than the other but abuse and that poo poo has always been rampant. The noble he killed was awesome, too. She used to pass the time during boring tavern conversations fantasizing about being kidnapped by handsome raiders. She was a loving riot.

Sanvean was always the rudder of that game - is she only on the periphery now?

The thing that always bugged me about getting banned from Armageddon is that I really had a high standard I kept for myself for roleplay. If I got hurt hunting I would roleplay being hurt for the rest of the RL day or more. If I saw something lying on the ground in a room that had a description of being crowded with people I wouldn't just run and pick it up. I put my characters in some pretty bad situations on purpose because it felt like that was the realistic thing to do.

I wasn't God's gift to roleplay but I could emote the gently caress out of that game and I never abused poo poo.

But between mouthing off to Nessalin one too many times and an unfortunate copy and paste accident in the IRC room (it is ridiculously easy to fat finger a copy/paste of a putty screen and paste a conversation where someone is telling you all about how the transgender immortal got people to pee on him/her at the APM) and the fact that my ex-wife was talking ill about me to every other staffmember I got a really bad rep. Though, to her credit, she did apologize to me for that later but by then the damage was done. I'm not innocent, I've made my mistakes but compared to a lot of the poo poo that went down I'm a goddamn saint.

quote:

Enjoy your nostalgia while it lasts.

I'm trying to tell myself to stick to playing it as a desert survival roleplay game, cause that is what I enjoy the most and what involves the least amount of the sort of stuff that will necessitate immortal interaction.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Came back to Aardwolf today after not logging in for 2 1/2 years, and Christ they've been busy. Spellups coded into the game, equipment finders, all kinds of new stuff going on in there since I last looked.

They've revamped a lot of the old areas, too, trying to get rid of the 'stock' stuff. Amusingly, this means half of the 'new' stuff is exactly the same areas, but with the names ROT-13ed or changed randomly somehow; it's a pretty weird experience seeing familiar places with oddly-named stuff in them. For example, 'Winterfell', based on A Song of Ice and Fire, has become 'Winterlands', set in a curiously familiar keep filled with direwolves and maesters and whatnot, none of whom you recognise. It's like being in a far-east pirated copy of Game of Thrones.

I'm almost afraid to start playing this thing again. I've been an Imm on there, I've founded a guild, and last time I was playing regularly, I met my future wife on there and ended up emigrating to the US. Because of a text-based game.

That's right, that's loving hardcore MUDding, bitches.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
I was posting about a MUD I used to play in a PYF thread on MMO addiction. I found the MUD was still going, and logged in to see how many hours I'd put into my old character, and was surprised to see two other people still in this MUD. The thing is, I recognised both of them, and they were both already long-time veterans of the MUD in 1997 when I started playing it. I gave up in 2001, but they've been on the same drat MUD for around 15 years!

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Danger - Octopus! posted:

I was posting about a MUD I used to play in a PYF thread on MMO addiction. I found the MUD was still going, and logged in to see how many hours I'd put into my old character, and was surprised to see two other people still in this MUD. The thing is, I recognised both of them, and they were both already long-time veterans of the MUD in 1997 when I started playing it. I gave up in 2001, but they've been on the same drat MUD for around 15 years!

Which MUD is that?

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Wormhole

Back in 2001, there was only ever four or five people on at a time, so unless it got popular again, I guess it's been a lonely decade for the players.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Wormhole

Back in 2001, there was only ever four or five people on at a time, so unless it got popular again, I guess it's been a lonely decade for the players.

Oh, I remember that place. Didn't get as much love as it deserved. For the longest time, if you wanted a scifi MUD, that was basically the only one around.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
When I first joined, it was pretty busy at times but then it went quiet pretty quickly as MUDs got less popular fast around 1999-2000 I think. One of my friends even briefly had an RL relationship with one of the wizards from there that he'd met on Wormhole and then visited at some point for a mini Mudmeet.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Wolfechu posted:

Came back to Aardwolf today after not logging in for 2 1/2 years, and Christ they've been busy. Spellups coded into the game, equipment finders, all kinds of new stuff going on in there since I last looked.

They've revamped a lot of the old areas, too, trying to get rid of the 'stock' stuff. Amusingly, this means half of the 'new' stuff is exactly the same areas, but with the names ROT-13ed or changed randomly somehow; it's a pretty weird experience seeing familiar places with oddly-named stuff in them. For example, 'Winterfell', based on A Song of Ice and Fire, has become 'Winterlands', set in a curiously familiar keep filled with direwolves and maesters and whatnot, none of whom you recognise. It's like being in a far-east pirated copy of Game of Thrones.

I'm almost afraid to start playing this thing again. I've been an Imm on there, I've founded a guild, and last time I was playing regularly, I met my future wife on there and ended up emigrating to the US. Because of a text-based game.

That's right, that's loving hardcore MUDding, bitches.

Which clan did you found? >.> ... I've been playing a ton of Aard lately as my boss at work thinks scrolling text = linux more than likely and he doesn't know that poo poo.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Virigoth posted:

Which clan did you found? >.> ... I've been playing a ton of Aard lately as my boss at work thinks scrolling text = linux more than likely and he doesn't know that poo poo.

Gaardian, back in ooh, '02, I think. I'd already had a website with Private Eye style satirical articles about the MUD for a while before, so it seemed a natural step when clan apps came around.

It gets knocked a lot for not being a "real clan", but the people saying this are often in even less active clans, so I don't lose much sleep over it. ;)

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Wolfechu posted:

Gaardian, back in ooh, '02, I think. I'd already had a website with Private Eye style satirical articles about the MUD for a while before, so it seemed a natural step when clan apps came around.

It gets knocked a lot for not being a "real clan", but the people saying this are often in even less active clans, so I don't lose much sleep over it. ;)

Ah nice, they just came out with a new newsletter :)

Shadowmage
Apr 28, 2006
This thread made me log in to Islands of Myth (previously called Red Dragon) again, which I played in middle and high school (account reg date of 2002). I was surprised to see that they still have around 25-30 people playing, and I still recognize most of their names...

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

fnordcircle posted:

:words:

Sanvean is gone, almost if not entirely. And I guess I decided I'd give it another try, because why the gently caress not. We'll see how it ends up, I'm just going to avoid the elffucking Templar by playing in the opposite city-state.

Too bad nothing will ever happen in the game due to a near 100% burnout.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

nucleicmaxid posted:

Sanvean is gone, almost if not entirely. And I guess I decided I'd give it another try, because why the gently caress not. We'll see how it ends up, I'm just going to avoid the elffucking Templar by playing in the opposite city-state.

Too bad nothing will ever happen in the game due to a near 100% burnout.

It's been a solid week and no approval for my GDB app. I don't care I just login and play my Byn dwarf a little, drop some crazy rear end thinks for anyone who might be watching and logout. I really just want to stay on the periphery.

The poo poo starts going south when you start playing a character who has to interact with clan imms, gets big into politics, etc, imo. That's when people get all pissy.

Anomalous Blowout
Feb 13, 2006

rock
ice
storm
abyss

It makes no attempt to sound human. It is atoms and stars.

In other Armageddon news, they just brought on a couple new staff. We'll see how long these last compared to the last three.

Since I play primarily off-peak due to my south Pacific location, I've always found that wandering independents and the occasional mage are the best strategy to actually enjoy the game.

Unfortunately, the PCs that I have that live the longest always end up involved in stuff that's dependent on other people. That's what makes me a grumpy Blowout.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

I've started a character on Armageddon, but I've yet to really be sucked in. The boneheadedness of the parsing irritates me (seriously, I can't abbreviate ANYTHING?!), and the apparent lack of things going on for random nobodies doesn't really encourage me to suffer through it.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Does anyone here play Icesus? I love the skill and experience system, the combat seems a little more fleshed out than "You hit foo for 4 damage" and the overworld map has me spoiled.

The games definitely tailored towards partying though and a large chunk of the player base are Finns who really don't like to party with English speaking dudes.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

hailthefish posted:

I've started a character on Armageddon, but I've yet to really be sucked in. The boneheadedness of the parsing irritates me (seriously, I can't abbreviate ANYTHING?!), and the apparent lack of things going on for random nobodies doesn't really encourage me to suffer through it.

I think the whole 'lack of things going on for random nobodies' is because it's hard to feel motivated to do stuff for characters who will go get killed in the 'rinth 2 hours after you get them started on something. At least that's the way it was for me when I was on staff. You're naturally going to want to focus your time on the characters who have shown they will survive.

There's the obvious 'join the Byn' answer but I really don't like how a lot of the Byn schedule equates to 'roleplay poo poo you would be too bored to do IRL let alone on a MUD.'

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

fnordcircle posted:

I think the whole 'lack of things going on for random nobodies' is because it's hard to feel motivated to do stuff for characters who will go get killed in the 'rinth 2 hours after you get them started on something. At least that's the way it was for me when I was on staff. You're naturally going to want to focus your time on the characters who have shown they will survive.

There's the obvious 'join the Byn' answer but I really don't like how a lot of the Byn schedule equates to 'roleplay poo poo you would be too bored to do IRL let alone on a MUD.'

No, I know what you mean, it's just, there's not even anyone in the Gaj at the times I've checked, and I've tried to check in at different times.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Vadun posted:

Does anyone here play Icesus? I love the skill and experience system, the combat seems a little more fleshed out than "You hit foo for 4 damage" and the overworld map has me spoiled.

The games definitely tailored towards partying though and a large chunk of the player base are Finns who really don't like to party with English speaking dudes.

I do! I'm Kaltan, I log on intermittently. Feel free to IM me on my AIM, and we can hook up. I'm like about 1M in worth.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

nucleicmaxid posted:

I do! I'm Kaltan, I log on intermittently. Feel free to IM me on my AIM, and we can hook up. I'm like about 1M in worth.

I'm also Vadun in Icesus. I'm ~64million exp worth, but we can definitely still party together.

fnordcircle
Jul 7, 2004

PTUI

hailthefish posted:

No, I know what you mean, it's just, there's not even anyone in the Gaj at the times I've checked, and I've tried to check in at different times.

Weird, last week everytime I went to the Gaj there were 3-5 people in there.

I know they've been taking noble/merchant apps, I wonder if the inevitable 'new family member players hire everyone and decimate the independent population' thing takes place.

There's almost always like 5 Bynners on but it's the whole 'do I walk to the Gaj to roleplay for 10 minutes or just afk and do something else until the next morning' thing.

I wonder if it is the same deal, clans becoming insular and chilling together in their own facilities.

Anomalous Blowout
Feb 13, 2006

rock
ice
storm
abyss

fnordcircle posted:

Weird, last week everytime I went to the Gaj there were 3-5 people in there.

I know they've been taking noble/merchant apps, I wonder if the inevitable 'new family member players hire everyone and decimate the independent population' thing takes place.

There's almost always like 5 Bynners on but it's the whole 'do I walk to the Gaj to roleplay for 10 minutes or just afk and do something else until the next morning' thing.

I wonder if it is the same deal, clans becoming insular and chilling together in their own facilities.

It's also possible Allanak just isn't as active as other settlements at the moment. The player population in Arm can be kind of hit or miss. My last two PCs were based in Luir's and Red Storm, two of the most isolated areas of the game, but I didn't have any trouble finding people to mess around with. This is highly unusual given how dead those two places tend to be most of the time.

Also, in Allanak, don't forget that there's another tavern. If there's nobody in the Gaj, you may well find PCs in the Red's Retreat, formerly known as the Bard's Barrel. It's on the map of Allanak you can access via the helpfiles, I'm pretty sure.

Granted that tavern usually caters to a slightly more upper-crusty type, but it's more than appropriate for commoners to be there. Just be aware that nobles and templars might show up from time to time and be sure to bow appropriately like everyone else does.

cyanidewolf
Sep 1, 2007

Truly the corgiest of goodposts

Anyone here play ZombieMUD? I've been playing on and off, lately on, since '98 or so and would be interested to know if there are some goons I know in-game.

Or, if someone wants to give it a shot, to hear what it's like for a new player. I have this feeling it's really confusing and takes like a million years to get levels, but the immortals developing have been trying to make it more accessible and they actually listen to good improvement ideas.

So log on and tell me how terrible it is!

n0manarmy
Mar 18, 2003

Any chance anyone knows of a Realms of Despair (ROD) quality mud with Project Bob style loot? I don't need uber stats and ascii names, I just hated that in RoD, you're end goal was weapons that differed in 1 or 2 damage points and maybe a level and that was it. It felt like an MMO in the end where everyone was almost the same because there was very little randomness, other then HP gains to a point.

Ingwerstern
Jun 13, 2010

hailthefish posted:

I had the same issues with that, another thing for me was the lacking playerbase. I believe there were like 5 players online the last time I have made a character on Armageddon and I never really felt involved in anything. Although the concept really seemed to immerse me. Especially with the whole introduction.

There's worse things though. Like endless copies of diku/rom styled muds.

Jenner posted:

one thing I've noticed is how so many people just DO NOT read the script or help files. We briefly considered the Zelda technique where we made everything important a glaringly obnoxious color. To be honest if people don't want to read they're not going to.
A lot of MUDs have a terrible parser and a non-existant alias system, including the one for the help files.
Most of the time you do not get access to what you want and end up getting frustrated reading through unexplained mechanics and cases of TL;DR.

It might not seem that big of a deal to someone who has programmed his own MUD or played other MUDs with that codebase, but it can be frustrating if 'help newbie' does not work, only to find out 15 minutes later that the helpfile you should be looking at is 'help how to start out 101' when it could just automatically redirect you to that help depending on a couple of aliases. Of course how to access the help file for newbies is most of the time documentated in the first steps of the game, but not with most of the other things. Have a complete newbie sit down and test a game, let him follow the game's instructions as good as he can and see where he gets stuck. I've spent my whole day today taking a look at MUDs I haven't tested before and I took my time reading through everything that was given to me and noticed that I got stuck at a couple of places because they were simply not explained.

Can't remember if it was in LOTJ, but there was even a MUD that didn't even explain to you how to leave the newbie academy, not even in the help.

Ingwerstern fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Sep 14, 2011

Anomalous Blowout
Feb 13, 2006

rock
ice
storm
abyss

Yeeeeep, that was LOTJ.

A few of us old Arm players played LOTJ for about two weeks when Arm's servers were down. We all got banned for PKing someone even though PK wasn't against the rules, 'cause it was an admin's little brother's PC and he apparently threw a shitfit and broke furniture in real life. :wtc:

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Anomalous Blowout posted:

Yeeeeep, that was LOTJ.

A few of us old Arm players played LOTJ for about two weeks when Arm's servers were down. We all got banned for PKing someone even though PK wasn't against the rules, 'cause it was an admin's little brother's PC and he apparently threw a shitfit and broke furniture in real life. :wtc:

When was this? Sounds like something that would happen on a SWR splinter or LOTJ circa 2002, not anything recently. LOTJ's newbie school is pretty easy to get out of, too.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

FordPRefectLL posted:

When was this? Sounds like something that would happen on a SWR splinter or LOTJ circa 2002, not anything recently. LOTJ's newbie school is pretty easy to get out of, too.

The newbie school on LotJ even back then, and the staff haven't been -quite- that psycho since like.. 2008.

Anomalous Blowout
Feb 13, 2006

rock
ice
storm
abyss

hailthefish posted:

The newbie school on LotJ even back then, and the staff haven't been -quite- that psycho since like.. 2008.

This was either '08 or '07, I forget. A few years back.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Anomalous Blowout posted:

This was either '08 or '07, I forget. A few years back.

Huh. Weird.

PK isn't 'against the rules' on LotJ but the sort of senseless, random, and brutal PK that's found in Armageddon is generally discouraged, with all sorts of complicated rules about demonstrating IC cause and a RolePlay Council that people can contest their deaths with. Sort of an attempt to reach a middle ground between "nobody's ever permanently dead" and "get facestabbed without a word by some random guy and have to re-roll".

Space Turtle
Mar 1, 2007

SPOOON!!!
Yo

If you guys want a good Tolkien based MUD with an active race war component for PK (Elves, Men, Hobbits, Dwarves) vs (Orcs, Trolls, Evil Men (Black Numenoreans)) then take a look at MUME. The home page is http://www.mume.org and the fan site is http://www.elvenrunes.com.

It's got a pretty active playerbase which is uncommon in MUDs these days. Usually about 25-40 whities on, and anywhere from 5-25 darkies. Peak times and such vary but the good thing is there are a lot of Swedes who play and a lot of US so there are always people on no matter the time of day. Quite a few aussies play.

The PK is probably the best part of the game, it's very involved with a warlords list and all kinds of interesting tactics. However, there is a really immersive world to play in as well with Arda mapped from the Blue Mountains all the way to Rohan, Mirkwood and more.

It's an interesting mix because usually PK games lack roleplaying immersion, and while not many RP, the world itself is just immersive as gently caress with beautifully designed zones and very interesting NPCs and super mobiles to tackle on. There's some logs on the previously mentioned ElvenRunes if you'd like to see what the PK looks like. I'll also happily answer any questions for those who may be more curious about specific aspects of the game. One last thing, it is a heavily (and I do mean heavily, it's gone through 7 revisions the current version is MUME VII) modified Diku mod so if you've played Diku muds many of the commands will be intuitive from the get go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
The problem I always saw with MUME was that the magic system is completely and totally outdated, and the proxy mappers (that are also against the rules?) that literally everyone uses anyways make the game completely unfair for those who would just play normally. It was a really good game back in the day but pretty much ruined by modern technology (like proxy mappers) and what not. It was definitely epic feeling back in the day though.

Who do you play as? Despite being terrible at the game, every couple of years I roll an Orc and bungle around for a bit just to see whats going on. Would be down for some goon goofing around.

Edit: logged on, nostalgia overload!

Sheep fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Sep 14, 2011

• Locked thread